Arrested (Book 1 of the Arres...

Kersten_Noelle tarafından

"The law is hard but it is the law" Alec Lightwood is a cop for the NYPD. He comes from a long line of cops i... Daha Fazla

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Author's Note
Bonus Chapter 1
Bonus Chapter 2
Bonus Chapter 3
Bonus Chapter 4
Bonus Chapter 5

Chapter Two

4.1K 242 182
Kersten_Noelle tarafından

"You morons! Idiots! Do you not realize what you've done today?!"

Back at the station, Alec winced at the sound of his father's angry voice as he was lectured about following the rules. He felt as if he were a kid again, getting yelled at for doing something he shouldn't have done.

"With all due respect, Commissioner, we went inside the club with full intentions of doing what you were too scared to do. You were sitting outside doing nothing," Jace said. "Plus we got the job done. No one was hurt. Unless you count the perp who robbed the place to begin with."

Alec nudged his partner under the table with a foot. He couldn't talk to the Commissioner like that! Nobody could! Even if his father did have a soft spot for Jace, it still didn't look good to be talking back to the head honcho like this. When Jace messes up, it was usually Alec who took the punishment. It's been that way since they were kids.

Robert stared at Jace, eyes hard and cold. "You. Get out of my office. Start writing up the report of today's incident. I want that on my desk before you leave this precinct today."

Jace nodded. "Yes sir." He gave Alec a small smile before leaving the office.

When the door clicked shut behind Jace, Alec had never felt more alone in this office now that he was gone. This could go either way with his father. He could either give Alec a lecture about obeying the law, or he could just brush it away like dust on the floor.

"Alexander. What the hell happened out there today?" Robert asked.

Alec sighed. "Dad. I am so sorry about Jace's behaviour. I told him this was a bad idea but he wouldn't listen to me. So I just....I went along with it. I realize that it was a mistake now. I really do-"

He was cut off as his father raised a hand. "Alec. The man you brought in today. You know who he is, right?"

"Magnus Bane. That's what he told me his name was."

Robert nodded. "Yes, that is his name. But do you realize who he is? What his crimes are?"

Alec shook his head. "No. I don't."

Robert pulled out a case file and handed it to him. "Take a look at his file. We've been tracking him for three years now. We've never actually been able to pin anything on him until now. You brought in a criminal that even my best boys failed to do."

Alec flipped through the file. Black and white photos of Magnus being handed money jumped out at him more than any other photo. "So.....what? He's a con man?"

"You bet your ass he's a con man. Best this state has ever seen. I've been told he's quite persuasive in the art of getting what he wants. Has he said anything to you? Anything out of the ordinary?"

I'll admit that I'm undeniably attracted to you right now

Alec swallowed nervously. "No. Nothing. He's not much of a talker when he's around me." That's a complete lie Alec thought to himself.

Robert chuckled. "That's because he knows you're a good cop. Nobody talks when they're in the presence of true authority. You intimidated the bastard." Robert got to his feet to come around the front of his desk, sitting down at the corner of it. "Listen, kiddo. What you and Jace did today was out of line. You went against strict orders."

Alec looked down at his shoes. "Yes, sir."

"That's why I'm promoting you."

"Yes, sir-wait. What?!"

Robert laughed. "Did you think I was demoting one of my best officers? You're a Lightwood. A legacy. Your name will be passed down through many generations and everyone who hears it will know it."

Alec felt his heart drop to his stomach. "Yes, sir. I understand. But I don't know if I'm ready to be a Detective-"

"You're ready because I say you're ready. Not when you think you are. Now get out before people start to think we're having a father/son moment," Robert waved a hand, basically dismissing Alec. "Oh and Alec? Tell Jace he has a double shift tonight. Call it punishment for defying orders."

Alec nodded. "Will do, sir."

Jace was sitting at their desk when Alec returned. "Shit. Did he give you hell? Dude, I'm beyond sorry about today-"

"Relax, Jace. It's fine. He just gave me a lecture about obeying orders."

Jace sighed in relief. "Fuck. Thank god."

Alec bit his lip. "And he also promoted me to Detective."

Jace jumped out of his seat, causing the other officers to jump in surprise. "He did what?! Are you serious?!"

Alec found himself in Jace's arms as he was hugged tightly. "Can't breathe here, Jace," he coughed when he was released from his partner's vice grip. "Yeah. He promoted me. Apparently the guy we brought in was a criminal dad had been trying to arrest for a while." He rubbed his face with a hand. "I'm just as shocked as you are on this. I was expecting a dock in pay or something. Not a damn promotion."

"Magnus Bane?" Jace whistled. "Dude. You've got to be the luckiest cop I've ever seen. You survive drug bust shootouts without a scratch. You survive a car accident unscathed. You survived our dad yelling at you over a mistake that I made and get promoted instead. I kinda hate you right now."

Alec smirked and punched his brother playfully on the shoulder. "You're just jealous I got the promotion and you didn't."

Jace sat down at his desk and snorted. "Nah. I like being a Lieutenant. Chicks dig the uniform. They see me pulling up in a squad car and get all hot and bothered when I step out all dressed up for them."

Alec rest his cheek in his hand, watching Jace as he imitated how he thinks girls look at him. "Yes. That's exactly how girls get around you."

Jace slapped his desk. "See?! Even you noticed! So it's got to be true!"

A pair of long arms suddenly draped around Alec's neck and someone kissed his cheek. "Hey big bro. Heard you had an exciting day today."

Alec looked up to see his younger sister Isabelle standing behind him. "Hey, sis. What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in school?"

"Alec. I'm two weeks ahead in my course. I think I can afford to skip a day or two," Isabelle scoffed. She sat down on top of Alec's desk and crossed her long legs. She was dressed in a knee length blue dress with black six inch heels. Alec guessed she just came from the courthouse. "Where's daddy? Is he here today?"

"Office. Just finished yelling at me and Jace for screwing up today at Pandemonium," Alec answered. "Did you want him for anything?"

"Oh no. Just wanted to see how the old man was doing. You know. Something to do-speaking of Pandemonium, what happened there? I didn't get to see the news earlier. I was working on a case for school."

Isabelle was a law student in New York, and much like the rest of the Lightwood family, believed that the law was important (but that didn't stop her from breaking it from time to time). She was hardworking and dedicated. Top of her class, she had a bright future ahead of her.

Jace laughed. "Oh, sis. You missed the whole thing. It was right up your alley. Alec and I snuck into the club while there was a robbery in progress."

"It was more a hostage situation, really. Jace thought it was a bright idea to go in without proper backup and save the day like heroes," Alec ignored Jace's middle finger. "Luckily, neither of us got hurt but-"

"The perp got killed by one of the hostages. Which is ironic. But he got what he deserved, didn't he Alec?" Jace clapped his brother on the shoulder and grinned, revealing pearl white teeth.

Alec shrugged. The man only wanted money to pay his rent and buy food so he wouldn't starve. He was desperate. Desperate to survive. He didn't have to die nor did he deserve to.

Isabelle clicked her tongue. "Sounds like you two had an eventful day. I went out and bought shoes. That's as exciting as my day gets. Oh and tampons too-"

Jace cut her off. "Okay. That's enough of Isabelle's day out. Back to our story. I wasn't finished. Alec here is a Detective now."

Isabelle's mouth dropped open. "You got a promotion?! Alec that's amazing! I'm so proud of you!"

Alec beamed as she hugged him. "Thanks. No more uncomfortable uniform. I can wear what I want."

"Alec. They say that, but there's always a dress code. Always. I can help you pick out some outfits. We can go shopping tomorrow-"

Jace cleared his throat, cutting Isabelle off. "I think our brother needs to go shopping with me, Izzy. Man to man. No offence to you. I'm sure your taste in fashion is impeccable."

Isabelle put her hands on her hips and stared Jace down. "Your taste in fashion includes New York Mets jerseys and jeans that cut off the air supply to your balls. But no offence to you."

Jace's eyes narrowed, but he said nothing.

"Okay, children. Enough of this. Isabelle, dad's in his office if you need to speak with him. Right now, Jace and I have to move our con man in custody to the interrogation room," Alec got to his feet. Even standing up, he was still much taller than Isabelle and she was wearing six inch heels.

"Right. I'll leave you boys to it then. As for you, I'll be calling you bright and early tomorrow to go clothing shopping. Don't turn off your phone because I know where you live. I'll break down your door," Isabelle smiled and hugged Alec. "See you guys later. Love you both."

After saying goodbye, Alec and Jace made their way to the cell where Magnus was contained. The officer on guard let them in, and Magnus, who was sitting on his little cot, brightened considerably as soon as both men entered his cell.

"Gentleman! What do I owe this wonderful pleasure? Forgive the mess. I didn't have time to redecorate," he purred, winking at Alec.

Alec shifted on his feet. "Get up. You're coming with us. We have a few questions we'd like to ask you. You have a right to a lawyer if you wish to call one-"

"Yes, yes. I know my rights. What good American doesn't? Take me away, Pretty Boy." Magnus stuck out his wrists for Alec to handcuff. When Jace went to cuff him, he moved his arms away. "Oh no. I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to....." He pointed to Alec. "You."

Jace gave Alec an odd look, but moved back regardless. Alec's heart skipped a few beats, though he'd never admit it out loud, and he was more than aware of Jace staring at him with a weird expression on his face. He just concentrated on keeping a serious face as he cuffed Magnus' wrists together.

The interrogation room was the first room Alec ever saw his father in action. A man had beaten his wife to death under the influence of cocaine and still had a stash hidden somewhere in his home. Alec remembered the way his father yelled at the man, fist pounding the table and his voice louder than he ever heard it before. He knew his father could be scary, but never that scary. After the interrogation, he asked his father if he'd ever yell at him or Izzy that way. Robert hugged him tightly and said he'd never use that voice on them. Ever.

"So. Magnus. Word on the street is that you're a con man. Is that true?" Jace flipped a chair around and sat down.

"Really? That's what you're starting with? You're not even going to offer me a glass of water or coffee? It's a federal crime to dehydrate your prisoners. Or deny them basic human needs." Magnus darted his gaze back and forth between Alec and Jace. "Well? Do I have to spell it out for you? Or do you both need sign language?"

Jace glanced at Alec, who shrugged. "Alright, sassy. We'll get you some water once you answer our first question. Why were you at Pandemonium before the robbery occurred?"

Magnus leaned back in his chair. "I had a business proposal, if you must know. I've had my eye on the place for a while now, so today I decided to buy the place out."

"By conning the poor owner out of his job?" Alec asked.

Magnus looked at him and smirked. "No. I simply offered the right amount of money. The more zeroes on the check, the more willing people are to give you what you want. Sad but true. We live in a society run by money. Money and power. There's no place for the poor. At least not here, anyway."

"But to be at the same place at the same time as the robbery? That's a really odd coincidence....." Alec took a seat on the corner of the table beside Jace. "Don't you think?"

"Are you insinuating that I had something to do with this? I robbed my own place?"

"Are you admitting it?" Jace asked.

Magnus snorted. "Blondie. Can I call you Blondie? Listen. When a person's voice goes up at the end of their sentence, that usually means they're asking a question. Cool new fact for you for today."

Jace scoffed. "You seem to be full of fun facts, Magnus Bane."

"You should see me during Black History Month. The facts just keep on coming."

Alec watched as Jace got to his feet and rubbed his forehead. "You okay?"

Jace nodded. "Yeah. Got a headache, that's all. I'm gonna go get some water and a painkiller. Keep an eye on him, would you?"

Magnus smiled as Jace left the room. When the door finally closed, he groaned. "Oh. What a bore he is. Is he always like this?"

Alec wasn't sure whether or not he should be talking, so he just shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

"Ah. I see. You're the good cop. He's the bad cop. I bet you like following rules, don't you? Daddy's little goody two shoes?" He waited for Alec to respond, but got nothing. "Nothing? No? Okay then. Maybe this will get you to open your pretty mouth. Have you and Blondie banged?"

"What?! No!" Alec exclaimed. "He's my brother!"

Magnus shrugged. "That doesn't stop some people...."

Alec scowled. "You're sick. Shut up and wait for my partner to come back with your fucking water."

After a painful minute of waiting, Magnus began to whistle a tune and play with the handcuffs around his wrists. Alec watched him carefully. Magnus' tan hands were covered in small white scars. There were black lines under his eyes as if he didn't get any sleep in a while. His hair was a mess and clothes disheveled. He looked exhausted.

"Are you tired?" Alec blurted.

Magnus looked up at him. "Is this one of the usual interrogation questions? Or are you just genuinely curious?"

Alec scratched his chin nervously. "Just curious. You look like shit."

Magnus seemed to find this amusing. "I'll take that as a compliment. And to answer your question, yes. I'm very tired. I haven't been able to go home in a few days now and I'm pretty sure my cat is pissed off at me."

"Your cat won't let you come home?"

"That's not what I said."

"But that's what it sounded like. Like your cat won't let you come home or something."

Magnus laughed. "No. It's not that. It's much more complicated than that."

Alec was about to ask why when the door opened again and Jace stuck his head in. "Alec? Can I talk to you outside for a sec?"

"Sure. Don't go anywhere, Mr. Bane."

Magnus raised his hands, which were cuffed to the table. "Unless I'm some kind of magical being, I'm not getting out of these cuffs any time soon."

Out in the hall, Alec leaned against the wall and groaned. "He's a nightmare to be around."

"You're telling me. I had to dry swallow two pills because my head is ready to fucking explode. God....." Jace rubbed his forehead in pain. "Anyway, dad just caught me in the office just then. Said we're to release Magnus immediately."

Alec's jaw dropped. "What? Why?"

"Said we're cutting him a deal. No charges pressed against him if he works with us on a case. Or best case scenario is a shortened sentence."

Alec groaned. "Oh no. No. That's not happening. We're a package deal. The Dynamic Duo. Batman and Robin-"

"Just to be clear, I'm Batman right?"

"Jace."

"Sorry. But yeah. That's what he told me. No charges are to be pressed against him if he works with us. Apparently he has some important information on him that's useful to a case that's open right now."

Alec looked through the glass window in at Magnus. "Which case is that?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Jace."

Jace sighed heavily. "Fine. The Morgenstern Case."

Alec bent his knees and sank to the floor, rubbing his face with both hands. "Fuck. Fuckity, fuck, fuck."

"And we're the ones assigned to it so fuckity fuck fuck times a million," Jace grumbled.

"What do you mean we're the ones assigned to it? What happened to Blackthorn and Carstairs? They were the ones originally given the case."

"Apparently they needed a fresh pair of eyes. Carstairs and Blackthorn were on the case for 18 years, bro. They're not exactly getting any younger."

Alec rubbed his neck. "Right. Yeah. True. But letting this.....him help us is a bad idea."

Jace grinned. "Yes. It must be so hard working with someone who's probably going to call you Pretty Boy all the time, huh?" He winced as Alec punched him on the arm. "Ow. That was uncalled for."

Alec ignored him. "Are we supposed to break the news to him ourselves?"

"Might as well. Seeing how he'll be working with us."

Alec sighed. "Okay then. Let's go give him the news."

Magnus sat up in his chair as both Jace and Alec returned to the room. "Boys. I was starting to think you got lost out there. Or forgot about me."

"Trust me. We're trying to forget about you," Jace mumbled. "Our boss just gave us some good news for you. Not good news for us, which I wish it was. We're not going to press charges against you. We might shorten your sentence if you work on a case with us."

Magnus raised an eyebrow. "By us you mean Dumb and Dumber?" He pointed to Alec and Jace.

"I thought he was Pretty Boy and I was Blondie?" Jace asked. He seemed genuinely curious about this.

"Can we focus on the task at hand here? Look, Magnus. Long story short, you get at least 20 years in jail if you don't cooperate with us. Cooperate, and you might get a shorter sentence," Alec said.

Magnus sighed. "Shit. Why not. I always wanted to play Detective. Sounds like fun."

Jace nodded. "I guess it's settled then. We're all working together on a case."

Alec nodded as well. "Sounds like it."

Magnus rolled his eyes. "If we're going to do some sort of handshake like the Three Musketeers, please count me out. I didn't just agree to some Boy Scouts pact." He pulled on his cuffs and sighed. "And where the hell is my water?"

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

112K 2.5K 35
A bold young woman, Reader who doesn't have the will to care about consequences and is all over the place, takes a liking in Mr. everything has to be...
2.3K 186 29
The magnificently glamorous warlock, Magnus Bane, could find himself a lover with a snap of his fingers, but instead he meets the shy, disinterested...
20.9K 871 18
"Who could ever learn to love a beast?" --- Prince Magnus wasn't exactly grateful of the life that he lived. He was selfish and vain, unappreciative...
27K 643 22
It's what he sees, what he hears, unbearable things only the strongest can stomach. A much unwanted fate for someone like him. Someone like Alec Ligh...