Paragon

By AliciaMarino

Iris Tremaine's world is crumbling slowly around her. With a lawsuit pending in the background, the departur... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Epilogue

Chapter 6

26.5K 1.2K 40
By AliciaMarino

We wake at dawn to the sound of seagulls- loud, rather annoying seagulls. I feel him move slightly at the noise, knowing he's up as well. We're still on the chair, wrapped in each other and nothing else. The broken material of my nightgown is crunched together underneath my body, uncomfortably. I pull one of my arms away from his chest and pull down on the strap, releasing myself from one side of the material.

He hums and rests a hand on my bare hip, pulling me close into him. I look up sleepily at him, squinting in the sun and find his eyes still closed.

"We're going to burn if we stay out here," I whisper softly, running a hand over his chest. He hums, nodding, eyes still closed. My fingers run up his neck, searching and come upon his lips, parting them softly with my touch.

I smile at the perfect shape of them- I've known many models, male and female, and have never come across a pair of lips like Stellan's. His mouth curves as I continue to caress his face, gazing at his beautiful features, unable to help myself.

His eyes open slowly and pierce my skin, his gaze always intense. His fingers tighten against my flesh and I close my eyes slowly at the touch of his lips against mine. It's gentle and slow but tender and sweet. When he pulls back, there's a small smile on his face.

"Let's go to bed."

"To sleep?"

He chuckles sleepily and moves to sit up, detangling from me. "Let's see."

I take his hand, letting the rest of the nightgown fall to the ground beside his briefs as I stand in the warm yellow and pink sun. We move at a glacier pace back to the bedroom- his side is the only spot moved, the covers pulled back neatly.

I blush slightly upon remembering the events of last night- the predicament in which he found me outside. We climb in together and pull back the covers, getting under, already reaching for the other. I smile comfortably as his arms come around my body and his hands tangled into my messy hair, his head rested against mine.

I don't want to leave this spot. I don't think he does either. My lips press softly to his chest with feeling and moments later, his lips answer back against my hair.

And we drift back to sleep.

...

"Tell me about your parents," I murmur softly against my hand, flat on my stomach. He stares at me, his face rested against a pillow and smiles softly. The day turned fast- our plans for going inland were ruined as a storm approached at noon. So instead, we've spent the day in bed, talking sweetly, getting to know each other.

It's the kind of day I've always hoped to have with him but have never gotten the chance.

"What do you want to know?"

"Tell me a story about them. Something no one knows."

"A story no one knows... Well, uh, let me think..."

I squirm with anticipation, giving him my full attention.

"Okay, well we lived in a relatively small town- literally everyone knew each other and everything about each other there."

"Ah, that kind of place... I've always wondered how it would be to live in a place like that."

He smiles. "In my case, it wasn't good."

"Trouble maker, were you?"

His answering smile says it all. "My junior year, at the end of the school year, it was a huge thing to prank the principal. He literally expected something awful every June. This year, I was the Guinea pig and naturally, I wasn't going to turn down the chance to impress everyone."

"Especially the senior girls."

"Exactly... Well, this prank consisted of hacking the database and creating a flyer that would go out to parents and students- saying school had been cancelled on a certain day- I don't remember why- but there was this large excuse. I printed tons of them and managed to get them sent out. Logo's for the school and electronically signed by the principal himself."

"Did it work?"

"Yeah, yep. It worked until the day of, when we left the paper on his desk and he realized that no one was coming in."

"Shit," I murmur, chuckling. "Did he find out it was you?"

"Oh, yeah. Of course. And my parents, obviously didn't care, they weren't really stuck up, they went into the school the day of and gave him a bottle of scotch- which easily ended my almost suspension since he was an absolute drunk."

"Oh my god." I laugh.

"My mother and father walked out with me and- we all went to the lake, where all the kids and parents were spending the free day."

"Wow."

He smiles softly, nodding. "It was a good day."

"They were fun parents, then?"

"Yeah, they were..." He turns suddenly and moves onto his back, sighing. "It- was a hard... to lose them."

I remove my hand from under my face and clutch his hand on his stomach, squeezing. He looks over at me, his lips turned up softly.

"I think you should talk to your mother." His confession takes me aback. I gape slightly, unsure of what to say. "I know what she did- was the worst possible thing that can be done to someone but I don't think you'll be at peace until you hear her out. Hear out why she kept the other child."

"What would change? What could she say that could change my mind?"

"I don't know. I truly don't but it will only help you to confront this head on. If what she tells you doesn't change anything and you don't want to know her, then at least you know you tried and can get some closure."

I press my face against the comforter and sigh, shaking my head. "I don't know if I have the strength to see them... to see her husband. My sister... I don't know."

"I'll go with you."

I look up from the white fabric to his face. "You will?"

He nods and turns back towards me. "Of course... And no matter what happens when you meet them, you have family with me. You'll never be alone again."

"I'm going to hold you to that," I murmur emotionally as he leans towards me, pressing his lips to mine chastely.

"Hold away."

Moving onto my elbow, I lean into him, pressing my lips to his once more, holding them there. He rests his hand on my hair as I pull back, smiling.

"Alright, tell me more."

...

Oli, the key is in my desk. It's a red one- that should get the door open.

I press send as Stellan walks into the room, carrying plates.

"I caught you."

I tuck the phone away and roll my eyes. "I told Oli she could text me if she needed help."

"You know what I wonder?"

"What?"

"Why you didn't think to hire her before instead of looking for a new assistant?"

"She's good at what she does. It's a inconvenience to ask her to leave it- thankfully, she said yes because I totally cannot do it on my own. Before Viktor left, I had plans to release a new line, I was drawing... Now, it all seems- like a lot of work."

He hands me the blue plate, complete with a BLT and salad. "You've done a lot over the years. More than most. It's alright to want to take a break."

"I know... It's just difficult to think that way when I just took off a year. Another one will feel like too much."

He sits down beside me, nodding. "What you've showed me so far is beautiful. The ideas will come, don't worry."

I smile, grabbing my fork. "What kind of dressing is this?"

"A balsamic dressing."

I chew on a piece of cucumber. "It's delicious."

"I made it."

I chuckle knowingly. "Of course you did... Chef Reid."

He sets down the sandwich, swallowing and looks over at me. "I'm going to look for work when we get back."

I look from my food to him slowly, thinking of my next choice of words. "... Is that wise?"

"I need to work, Iris. I need to find something. I can't just sit at the house, waiting for you to get out."

I nod immediately, knowing that's out of the question. He'd go crazy. "Just be careful, obviously Vance is out for information."

"I can't believe he hired someone to spy on you."

"The trial is approaching and he has no hard evidence against you. I can see why he's desperate. His wife is going to be publicly shamed even further than she already has been with that video."

He looks to the raging storm outside of the doors leading to the patio. "It has to be done."

"Yes, it does. She hurt a lot of men."

He nods and looks at me, pressing his lips together. "I think we should go inland tomorrow, do some sightseeing."

"I'm totally good with that," I answer, leaning into him happily. "It's about time we finally get dressed."

"This getaway was- a good thing. I didn't really know how much we needed to decompress."

"I know, I feel lighter now." I set down my plate on my thigh and bite down on my bottom lip. "... I wanted to talk to you about something- the wedding. Our wedding?"

"I was wondering when we'd talk about this."

"Impatient, are you?"

"Extremely. If it were up to me, we'd be married already."

"Who's saying it isn't up to you?"

"Don't you want a big wedding?"

"I don't need one. I don't care about having crowds of people I barely know who feel obliged to come because they know it's to secure business or they expect a huge, crazy reception. I'm only interested in being your wife."

He smiles softly and his brows crease in thought. I scoot closer and grin.

"Let's get married. Let's just do it on our way back- we'll stop in Vegas and just do it."

He chuckles when I kiss him eagerly, making his fall back against the headboard. "Vegas?"

"Yes. Anywhere. We'll find a church, find a couple witnesses and just do it. We can be married before the week is up and I'll finally be yours."

"You're already mine."

I roll my eyes. "You know what I mean."

"I do know what you mean," he replies, pulling a strand of hair back behind my ear. "And while it does seem tempting, I don't want you to miss having a wedding. A proper wedding... It just doesn't feel right."

"Why? I don't have any obligations. I don't have something blue or something old or a father to walk me down the aisle. Viktor isn't-" I look down, clutching his hand. "I want this. You told me you wanted to marry me as soon as possible. I'm telling you I want that too."

"Are you sure, Iris?"

I nod, gritting my teeth together, pulling his face toward mine. "I'm sure. I am."

He smiles then, clutching me tightly, careful not to drop the food between us. He presses his lips to mine passionately, nodding. "Then let's get married."

...

We walk hand in hand back from the helicopter, towards the house, not turning to watch it go. After a perfect day in Iziba, both of us are looking forward to the bed- to sleep. I lean into his muscular frame, sighing as he opens the door, pulling us inside.

I turn on the lights and remove the hat from my head, setting it down on the foyer table. "God, I'm exhausted."

"Me too... I'm going to go shower," he murmurs, pressing his lips to mine. "Join me?"

I grin cheekily and roll my eyes. "I'll be a second. Oli called me earlier."

"Alright, well don't take long."

"I won't." He rubs my back and turns for the room as I reach into my bag, pulling out my cell phone. There's two calls from Oli and one from Charles. I press on the message he left and hold the phone to my ear.

Iris, I need you to call me immediately. I found something- don't tell Stellan.

A/N: There is a reason i've left this at a cliffhanger:

WARNING REGARDING THE NEXT CHAPTER.

VERY MATURE MATERIAL. I'D TELL YOU TO SKIP IT BUT IT IS IMPORTANT TO THE STORY.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 47.6K 34
Iris had lost her twin brother and parents in a horrible car accident three months ago. Now she's homeless and 'mute' and has nobody, until one day s...
92.5K 3.3K 41
Samuel King, never been a heartthrob. He always was a guy next door. Someone who you can easily miss. Someone who can pass out for ordinary person. H...
24.7K 752 11
Shannon Graves looks at the world with the harsh reality that has touched her life more than once. It only takes one look back at her troubled childh...
453K 13.8K 59
"I love you, but are you sure you're ready for this?", he said as I slammed the door shut and locked it. I had missed his touch too much, and I had w...