The Shadows That Dwell Within...

By BelleRee

Three bounty hunters, dubbed The Warrior Queens, must find Erebus, a criminal mastermind who has been unleas... More

Chapter 1 - Adelaide
Chapter 2 - Rosaline
Chapter 3 - Victoria
Chapter 4 - Adelaide
Chapter 5 - Rosaline
Chapter 6 - Victoria
Chapter 7 - Adelaide
Chapter 8 - Rosaline
Chapter 9 - Victoria
Chapter 10 - Adelaide
Chapter 11 - Rosaline
Chapter 12 - Victoria
Chapter 13 - Adelaide
Chapter 14 - Rosaline
Chapter 15 - Victoria
Chapter 16 - Adelaide
Chapter 17 - Rosaline
Chapter 18 - Victoria
Chapter 19 - Adelaide
Chapter 20 - Kiyan
Chapter 21 - Rosaline
Chapter 22 - Victoria
Chapter 23 - Adelaide
Chapter 24 - Rosaline
Chapter 25 - Victoria
Chapter 26 - Adelaide
Chapter 27 - Rosaline
Chapter 28 - Victoria
Chapter 29 - Adelaide
Chapter 30 - Rosaline
Chapter 31 - Victoria
Chapter 32 - Adelaide
Chapter 33 - Rosaline
Chapter 34 - Victoria
Chapter 35 - Adelaide
Chapter 36 - Rosaline
Chapter 37 - Dominic
Chapter 38 - Victoria
Chapter 39 - Kiyan
Chapter 40 - Rosaline

Chapter 41 - Adelaide

157 9 0
By BelleRee

Adelaide watched the fireworks dance across the sky and breathed in the cool crisp air. She could see all the famous landmarks from the castle balcony, including the statue of the archangel Michael in the city centre, white water springs over in Roseway village and the Havensborough harbour.

Dominic was gone. Never again would she have to fear he was lurking around every corner. Adelaide felt as a bird without a cage. But not the pretty doves seen at weddings. No, Adelaide was a fierce predator - without the chains to hold her. She was a falcon. Devoid of any repentance or restraints.

The Peaceland kingdoms were safe. People paraded through the streets in celebration. The palace held a ball, for the first time since Adelaide returned to Concordia five years ago. It had been a long time since Adelaide had been to a ball – would she even remember the proper etiquette?

Adelaide wore a short black dress with a ruffled hem, complete with a black cloche hat. It was customary to wear mourning clothes after your husband had died, but Adelaide hadn't felt much like mourning. She just wanted to show the world her new fierce determination. She'd even dipped her neckline pearls in black ink.

"Pretty isn't it?" a voice came from the door.

"Victoria" Adelaide said.

Victoria walked over to the balcony. She wore a blue sequenced flapper dress that sparkled in the moonlight. Like Adelaide, Victoria's hair was too long to fit in a cloche hat, Victoria had opted to go without a hat, simply tying it in a curly bun. She was silent for a moment and then she said:

"I know I scold you a lot, but that's only because I don't want you to get hurt. If anything happened to you...I'd never forgive myself. And as much as I hate to admit it, your impulsivity pays off. Sometimes".

"Yeah, but I think we should leave the decisions to someone with a clearer head" Adelaide laughed but then cringed at how she slurred her words.

Adelaide wasn't drunk. She had been slurring her words ever since she was revived. The doctors thought it had something to do with how long she had been unconscious. The longer the brain goes without oxygen, the more cells died. Everyone said Adelaide was lucky it was only her speech that was affected. Adelaide didn't think "lucky" was the correct word.

"I agree, but you're the one who saved us after we had all given up. You should know I now regard you as second in command. Should've probably given it to Nicholas. After all I owe him my reputation. But you're practically my sister" Victoria said.

"Are you being serious?" Adelaide exclaimed. "Rosaline won't be happy"

"What are talking about? Rosaline's always happy" Victoria laughed.

It was so rare to hear Victoria laugh that it brought a smile onto Adelaide's face. Victoria was so professional, so serious all the time that they hardly got the chance to be normal friends. Never got to go shopping, go on holidays or even go out to dinner. Some part of Adelaide ached for a normal life. One where she wouldn't have to worry about whether or not everyone would survive the night.

"Speaking of whom, where is she?" Adelaide said.

"See for yourself" Victoria said walking across Adelaide's room and out onto the landing that overlooked the ballroom.

Rosaline swung the prince of Amiticia around the floor as if he was a rag doll, not the heir to a throne. Her green dress had ruffles up the side, clearly trying to make her look more graceful. But it was doing little good. The way Rosaline danced reminded Adelaide of an angry chimpanzee.

"Look at all those happy people. It looks like so much fun" Victoria said. "Let's join them, shall we?"

"I'll be down in a minute" Adelaide said.

Victoria walked down the stairs and joined the dancing crowd. Adelaide wanted a moment to compose herself. Another minute before the burning stares were on her. Ever since it revealed that Adelaide was married to the infamous criminal Erebus, she could feel people's judging glares. Sure they praised her for stopping Dominic, but Adelaide knew the question on everyone's lips: did she know all along?

"Adelaide?" a familiar voice said.

Kiyan wore a black waistcoat suit with a gold pocket watch attached to his lapel. His hair had been combed to perfection – Adelaide hated it. She wanted it to be tousled and wild again. But if she ran her fingers through his hair, she would end up kissing him. And if kissed him, she wouldn't stop there.

"I just need a moment to compose myself".

"Why? You look absolutely stunning" he said.

Adelaide cleared her throat and tried to hide the fact she was blushing.

"You should see the view" Adelaide said. "The view...from my window. You can see the whole city".

Adelaide and Kiyan walked across the room to the balcony.

"You're really brave. No one can take that away from you" Adelaide said. "I know Victoria said she would let you train to become an AIA agent, and you'd have to start from the bottom like everyone else, but the next time the Falcons are on an important mission, don't be surprised if you find yourself tagging along".

"And risk Victoria's wrath?" Kiyan said raising an eyebrow.

"I can handle Victoria" Adelaide snorted.

"Did she tell you to stop pestering her about me?"

"Have I ever done as I was told?" Adelaide said.

Kiyan shook his head and laughed. "You really want me to be an honorary Falcon? I don't know if I have what it takes..."

"I won't take no for an answer" Adelaide interrupted.

"Well if I don't have any choice, I guess I could tag along" Kiyan said and then his eyes lit up. "This is my favourite song"

Kiyan then took Adelaide's hand and fled downstairs into the ballroom. Adelaide's head spun and she nearly lost her footing.

"You know Candace?" Adelaide said.

"Just because I lived apart from society doesn't mean I'm not allowed to know good music"

Adelaide wouldn't exactly call this music "good". Candace Merriweather bemoaned her latest heartbreak. Her screeching voice clashed with the upbeat saxophones. She wore a red dress that was slit up one leg and clung to her hips. Of course Kiyan liked her.

"Oh I don't know Kiyan. I don't really dance" Adelaide shrugged.

"I won't take no for an answer" he said.

Adelaide rolled her eyes, but let him guide her onto the dance floor. The truth was Adelaide could not dance at all. When she was being taught how to dance by her tutor she was forever falling over or stepping on his toes. It was Victoria that was the dancer. If Adelaide was the baby bird who just couldn't take flight, Victoria was the bluebird that flew high and gracefully. The last time Adelaide had danced was at her wedding.

Kiyan wasn't a very good dancer either. He just laughed when Adelaide stepped on his toes or bumped into someone. They ended up on the side of the dancefloor just talking.

The conversation ranged from music to literature and finally to Concordia.

"Concordia is exactly the way they describe in books" Kiyan said.

"How do they describe it?" Adelaide asked.

"Like heaven" Kiyan said.

Adelaide felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to find Rosaline standing with a huge grin on her face. Rosaline had cut off her bunches and now had short curls that made her look like a socialite.

"The queen wants to speak with us" she said.

"The queen?" Adelaide exclaimed.

Adelaide pushed through the crowd and followed Rosaline to the top of the room where the Falcons were already taking to the stage. Queen Evangeline stepped forward. Her dress was donned with a thousand jewels. It would've looked tacky on most people but Queen Evangeline moved with the grace of an angel. The jewels made her look like a galaxy of stars. Adelaide didn't just feel compelled to bow. She wanted to.

"It is my honour to present the brave warriors who took down our country's biggest threat". Queen Evangeline said.

The audience cheered and clapped.

"Their courage will not go unnoticed. My daughter, Princess Cynthia of Concordia, will present each agent with the medal of valour" the queen continued.

The audience gasped when Princess Cynthia came into view. She hardly made any public appearances. The last time Adelaide had seen the princess she was only a child. Now the princess was a full grown woman. Just like Adelaide.

Victoria was first to receive her medal. She bowed her head in respect as Princess Cynthia placed the medal over her head and let it fall. As they were all receiving their awards, Adelaide felt it was unjust that Kiyan wasn't standing here with them. In those last few moments, Kiyan fought alongside them. In fact, he was the reason Adelaide stood here tonight. The reason she was still living. Surely he deserved a medal as well?

But Kiyan didn't seem to mind. He stood in the front row, smiling. Most other people matched his pride, but there were a few who didn't look happy at all. They were a tiny rain cloud on the brightest day of the year. They were the little patch of fog on a starry night. They reminded Adelaide that even though they had won for now. People were safe and happy once again, evil seemed banished from the world. There was always more to replace it. There was always another battle. A never-ending battle against evil. Life could flip in a second. Only one thing was for certain. There was nothing the Warrior Queens could not handle.

What will be the next challenge for The Warrior Queens? Find out in the next book in The Warrior Queens series, The Fire That Ignited The Storm.

I'd like to thank everyone who read, voted and commented. It meant the world to me to know people were enjoying my story. I've finished the sequel and am uploading a chapter a week. I'm currently working on the third book. It will be a four book series. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124 9 40
Rodalya barely escaped the Luxillian army. Silus finds comfort in nature. Maxwell is the only survivor in his kingdom. Omsya is on the run. Chasus is...
14 0 21
In the enchanting realm of Eldoria, a world shrouded in mystery and magic, Sarah's ordinary life takes a remarkable turn when she embarks on a journe...
35.8K 2K 35
Caleb hardly remembers what it is like to be born free. After having lived for two hundred years being thrown from master to master, from home to hom...
13.8K 990 82
"This bounty is mine, Xander," He said. It was the first time I ever heard his name. Xander smirked, "Kill me first, then take her." He proposed arr...