Marble || Edogawa Ranpo

By marster_

ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴠᴇ ɪɴ ʜᴀs ᴅɪғғᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ᴄᴏʟᴏʀs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴡᴇʟʟ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍɪxᴇᴅ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ. ʙᴜᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ sᴇᴇ ɪs ᴊᴜsᴛ... More

Case 1
Case 2
Case 3
Case 5
Case 6
Case 7
Case 8
Case 9
Case 10
Case 11
Case 12
Case 13
Case 14
Case 15
Case 16
Case 17
Case 18
Case 19
Case 20
Case 21
Case 22
Case 23
Case 24
- Discontinued Notice -

Case 4

10.4K 495 2K
By marster_

The man flinched from his spot where Ranpo was pointing. Obviously, he didn't think he can see through the meticulous plan that he had carefully plot.

"What are you saying? I'm just a bystander in this." The man protests. "What does it have to do with me?"

'Shit! They can't possibly know, right? I didn't involve myself directly in this!'

"You already know when exactly this man will come every single day and mapped his pattern of habit, such as the route he will take to leave. So, you let this information to the lady there, because she was so adamant in getting her revenge without getting your hand dirty." Ranpo glaze over his gaze at the scene. "Why would you do that? There's no better reason. You were in love with her, but she already got married to someone else. So you plot it, first, you already know that man has a nasty fetish and let him know about her daughter. His husband ended killing himself because he couldn't accept the fact his daughter passed away in such a horrible way, he ended up leaving her wife widowed and depressed. Then, to make her feel better and take the chance, you coax her that you will help in getting her revenge. She might have disposed of the evidence, but you are the one who buys the poison for her. I'm sure if we check your purchase history, we can find the proof." He finishes deducting.

"But, why wouldn't he involve himself directly if he is was an accomplice to her?" You inquired.

"It's simple. So that the woman would depend on him for her entire life now that he's acting like her pillar of support. Even when the morale was wrong, having someone by her side is enough." He adds and looks sharply at the other perpetrator, "And to add for my conjecture, the pictures and hidden surveillance camera inside your room is enough to verify your obsession toward this lady and the incriminating evidence of your plan. You have been monitoring her ever since you know her, that alone breach her privacy and then you manipulate her as a caring neighborhood. Who, in the end, become her lover now that no one is a hindrance."

What? You were stunned for a moment. How did he come to that conclusion? You look at the man and his terrified face and can confirm that it is, indeed, the truth. Given how his mind is running to think about a lie right now.

"That's not right! I would never do that!" The man protests loudly, "I don't know that man!"

'As if that was enough to say I did!'

Ranpo sighs, "Then let me add, you plan on disposing of the victim because he had been blackmailing you for some time now, threatening you to tell the truth to this lady if you don't give him money to keep his mouth shut every week he came. As if delivering a newspaper is enough in this kind of economy, right? We can check your email history and found your contact with him occasionally. Your transaction from the bank. There's also data that can be detected to your place, evidence that you sell quite a nasty picture on the dark web. Her daughter might as well be one of the collections that you sell. I'm sure that was a profitable business."

Since he was not under witness, you overlooked him as another bystander and this woman, who believed what she was doing was right and carried it alone, didn't spare her thought on him. Even with your ability, it has a limit to discern a certain truth. If Ranpo didn't probe him then you would never know, since he has committed a perfect crime without leaving a trace by a suggestive method.

But how... can he deduce to that extent?

His mind was running with many extraordinary information that he didn't disclose. Like reading a complicated data from a computer, you were looking into an endless boundary of reasoning inside of his deciphering labyrinth. There's so much of it at once, the more you read him the more it seems how fickle was your knowledge so far.

His intelligence... far beyond your scope to comprehend.

"What? I... Is that true? That's... that is just... horrible..." The woman trembled, and tears started to foam at the corner of her eyes. She has that despair expression as if this whole world just betrays her and crumbles around her. All this time she was lied. Lied by someone she trusts. To make matter worse, the truth that comes to light, was not pleasant to know. She was manipulated this whole time.

Love can be scary... and twist.

"No, no! That's not how it supposed to be! Believe me, Kana!" The man wanted to approach her, but Minoura already apprehends him before he could come closer.

"I didn't mean to... I didn't know it would happen like this. I felt guilty over what happened, and I wanted to redeem myself for it... please, believe me." He pleads over her to hear.

'How is that guy able to tell?! I'm going to kill him! My plan for these whole years will be in vain!'

Reading his rage thought, that guy acts like he was giving in to let Minoura let down his guard. When that happens, he headbutts him at his chin and slips from Minoura grasp while he was distracted with pain. Then he bent down his position slightly. The culprit has hidden a sharp grazing pocketknife in his pouch, and he was targeting the detective who just shed all his misdeeds into light in retaliation.

In that split second, he had the intention to stab his abdomen while feigning to punch him.

Reading through the deception, your body moves on your own and swiftly kick his jaw, pivoting your heel deftly to give more force into your kick and stump his advance. He was then sent down and groan with the unexpected intervention. To the spectacle, it is as if your kick has cut through the air in such precision in timing, no different than a torrent of a cyclone.

You might appear calm as the lake, but not the one that should be underestimated. You know at least the basic of martial art to defend yourself from danger as your life was prone to exposed to it.

"You have the gut to attack civilians under broad daylight." You remark and straddle him, locking his arms from behind by pressing your weight down. "I look forward to the tale you are going to tell us in the court, mister. Minoura-san, please apprehend them both. They are suspect of plotting and killing the victim, along with other offense." You stated your judgment. "Any word of defense over your action will be heard during trial and your punishment will be judged accordingly by the law."

Caressing his chin, Minoura opts just to nod begrudgingly. He had lowered his guard, the culprit and her accomplice soon were arrested by him.

You wonder who is the real victim here? The cycle of hatred and injustice will never end, will it? Like a stack of domino, one action triggers another chain of events.

Your gaze was solemn as you watch both of them were taken away separately inside the police car. After what happen, you were sure that the scar will remain forever inside the unfortunate woman's heart. She just wants to bring justice... yet this whole world was set up as a farce right in the beginning. Just what is the right thing to do? Does she need to remain silence seeing the injustice over her daughter's death? But she doesn't have the right to take another person's life either...

"In the end, killing won't bring someone alive again, it is just to satisfy our vengeance." You whisper softly. Your heart almost felt empty. If only your mother would do the same for you, then perhaps...

"Buuuuuh!" Ranpo suddenly startled you from behind, causing you to yelp being caught off guard.

"How boring! This case was so easy!" He whined and pout like a child, flailing his arms in the air.

You would doubt him as a great detective if not for what transpired earlier. But it is a fact that he actually solved this case in a matter of seconds just like what Minoura said and how he has claimed. His word was not an empty brag after all. That ability of his... how should you put it, was it really an ability?

"But thanks to you, it was a little interesting. Though, you still can't be compared with me." He adds and claps his hand together as if he approves of you.

"Oh, why, thank you for your compliment, Ranpo-sama." You remark in sarcastic and tried your best not to roll your eyes in annoyance in front of him. Although, he deserves some credits.

"Heh. Not bad. Not bad at all. That has a nice ring to it..." He caresses his chin. Ranpo nods to himself and looks somewhat pleased with himself.

"What does?"

"Calling me Ranpo-sama. It's like you admit it yourself that I'm superior than you. Heh!" He pats your shoulder again with elation. "You can call me Ranpo-sama as much as you like! Don't be shy! Go on, go on!" He urges and invaded your personal space closer ecstatically.

You sweatdropped at his behavior. Is he normal?

This guy... does he not understand how being sarcastic work? You were a bit uncomfortable with his advance because you have never been this close with a man. And he is someone you just met today.

"R-ranpo-san," Atsushi speaks behind him. "(Name)-san looks troubled there."

"Why is that?" Ranpo asks him back like an innocent child, he was oblivious over that fact.

"It's a common sense, Ranpo-san." Atsushi tried to remind him in which it was a futile attempt. "You were still a stranger to her. It's natural she felt weird if you suddenly act like you've known her forever..."

"Common sense? Huh, what a bunch of useless information. I don't need it." He disregards him. Ranpo waves his hand in dismissive towards Atsushi, and then he suddenly perks up.

"Oh, I know. You said you are an ability user right, (Name)-chan? Well, it is a waste when you are not being monitored. The way you deduce this case was nothing short like a monkey! But I give you another three points for trying." He commented. Did he just insult you? Or did he just... compliment you? Whichever it is, it's not like his opinion matter.

"How about it, would you like to be a part of Armed Detective Agency and become a disciple of mine?" Ranpo suddenly offer.

"Disciple...?" You reiterated. Did you hear that right? Or were you just disillusioned? Did you drink too much coffee before you come here?

"Yes! Consider it an honor! I would never take one if they are not worthy of my time. Since no one can ever reach on my level. But your ability piqued my interest! I want to see the extent of it. So, you should be glad that I pick you out of one hundred. Now, what says you? This offer won't come so often, not when it comes from a famous detective like me!" He exclaimed loudly. His smirk never faltered from his countenance. His overbearing confidence is off-the-chart that you can't help but gawk.

"Wow. I can't believe this." You stated and blink your eyes multiple times.

"Heh. I know right? You must be astonished by how amazing my abilities are." He declared proudly. Not a trace of hesitation in his voice at all. But...

Liar.

'It's not an ability, it's just me being too smart but I refused to admit that I don't have one.'

The lie was so blatant that you were impressed with how he believed in himself and carried himself with a cocky attitude like that. He just put on a charade this whole time that he has an ability. Although he was impressive even without it.

You lip curl with a derisive smile thinking how ironic it was. So this is how that famous phrase work;

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed eventually.

You ruefully simper at him, "Are you kidding me? You can't even be honest with yourself, why would I need a mentor who can't tell the line between the lie he tells himself and deny the truth? You don't have an ability."

Ranpo expression went sour and he frowns upon you.

"What do you mean! I am an ability user!"

"I don't think that was the case." You smirk, having managed to incite his agitation. "I am the ability user here, and I can tell that you are lying with my Deception Detection."

He didn't look pleased at all to hear that.

"I can tell about you more than you can with my ability, Super Deduction!" He raises his voice and crossed his arms, and like a child, he starts pouting.

Oh? Now, that is a challenge.

"Then pray to demonstrate again your so-called ability, Ranpo-sama?"

Why did he look aggravated when you said he was lying about his ability? For someone who possessed such ludicrous skills of deduction like that, he can be even rivaled to Sir Arthur if he was still alive. He should be proud of such skills, not boasting that he has the ability. How peculiar, what is the reason behind his lie?

"This is easy, just by one look can tell this. You are searching for someone aren't you?"

"!"

How did he know that? Wait... don't panic yet or evince any reaction. He might just guess that one randomly. You feigned unsurprised. It should be an easy feat even for you to guess. That is the basis of deduction after all. Play it cool, do not let him have the upper hand.

"Now it seems my deduction is right. Nothing can't escape from my eyes, you know. I have never made an error in my reasoning. If I fail to show you that my ability is a real deal, then allow me to show you once again." Ranpo adds and regained his usual confident self.

However, despite provoking him, you felt that this is not a good idea now. A sense of uneasiness settled down inside of your chest, trying to alarm you this was not a good thing.

To have someone read about you, that is.

"Your father abandoned your mother while she was carrying you in the third month, right?"

Abandoned? That is incorrect. More like defiling your mother. You didn't say anything to affirm that nor does you deny the fact. You neither know it was correct or not and it could be just a baseless conjecture on his part.

"How unfortunate and tragic, I feel like if I continue from here, you will start to cry." He tsk and then shook his head in pity.

You don't know if this guy was being considerate or just being plain jerk with you. Does he want to be slap that much? He couldn't have figure out about you that far... but that glinting eyes as if he had hit a jackpot really unnerve you for some reason. Does he think he knows everything?

"No, you may continue."

"If you say so." Ranpo shrugs, "You felt that you are responsible for your mother's death and wanted to revenge and bring justice to your, supposedly, unidentified father. But here the thing is, because of your ability, you only know that much from your grandmother's perspective. Even though she didn't know the whole truth about your mother's situation, she proceeds to place the blamed on you this entire time. Weighing you with her hatred and grief whenever she looks at you. Want me to elaborate more of that?" He asks but there is no answer given from you.

Your breath almost hitches in your throat from how accurate his deduction was. To think he could deduce that far already, or are you just that transparent to read? How can he tell that much from his gaze alone? How did he able to... peer through your past that you so desperately tried to conceal?

"That's why you become a prosecutor, so that you can bring your old man to justice and clear your mother's name and perhaps... clear all the false accusations after all these years, growing under the judging stares of the villagers and those of your grandmother's. Those scornful looks, those scrutiny eyes and all the verbal and mental abuse you received endlessly. After all, because of you, she commits s-"

Stop!

You heard it.

A slap and then, there were tears just like he said.

*

"Heeh..."

One week has passed since your meeting with Ranpo, along with Atsushi and Kyouka.

Typing at his laptop and glides his finger across his keyboard, Atsushi surreptitiously steals a glance towards his senior, who since a week ago couldn't properly operate his brain.

He was slapped.

It was soon spread amongst them in the agency as a hot gossip about how he was slap by none other than you. None of his co-workers dare to ask how he felt when it was obvious the poor lad has taken a lot of mentally damaged than he initially thought. No, he didn't even predict you'd actually slap him. That's why he couldn't make how to feel about it. Not sad, not upset, just pure confounded.

You slap him.

You slap him.

You slap him.

No one has ever slap him, with exception of President on that one time.

But that was when he was 15 years old! Not when he was 26 years old!

A great detective like him was slapped by a mere prosecutor? What sort of joke is this?

Ranpo didn't even have an appetite to touch the candy on his table or his favorite confectionary that his co-worker bought to cheer him up. He just sat there, staring blankly at the ceiling, resting his legs over his desk. What goes around his head right now was unknown to his subordinates. But one thing that they can be sure of is that it obviously affects his mental and affect his work. He didn't feel up to solve any criminal case now for the whole week. The untouched documents are piling on his desk.

His pride is seriously wounded. But more than anything else, he was confused. Was he wrong? No, he never made any error in his judgment. Then, why are you that upset? He can't gauge your exact feeling or deciphering it. He can't fathom it. All he stated was the truth that he simply observed with his ability. Yes, with his ability. Ranpo adamantly believed it himself.

Yet... you slap him across his cheek.

He can still feel the stinging pain even after a week since it happened.

No amount of praise could bring him back and cheer him up.

His brain has cease functioning due to the shock.

At this rate...

"This is bad, isn't it?" Dazai commented and whisper in a low voice that Ranpo wouldn't hear.

"Right... I've never seen him like this..." Kunikida voiced his concern.

"What should we do?" Atsushi adds.

"Should we kill and dump her in the river?" Kyouka asks.

"That would complicate the matter even more..." Tanizaki stated.

"Don't worry, I can patch her up and treat her really nice..." Yosano butt in with a sinister grin.

"Why don't we all gang her up, abduct and bring her here to Ranpo-san and force her to apologize?" Kenji devised a plan with an innocent beam.

"That's no good," Haruno counsel. "The President won't agree with that. To none of the above plan either."

"Then... should we just leave him like that?" Naomi glance over Ranpo who was still unmotivated to do solve any case.

"Hmm... Atsushi-kun, you said she's ability user, right?" Dazai inquired. "Do you know what kind?"

Atsushi furrowed his eyebrows, "If I'm not mistaken, she did say something like Deception Detection. She solved half of the case that we went last week. Then Ranpo said he was intrigued to have her as his disciple, in which she said: I don't need a mentor who can't tell between lie and truth about himself. Something like that then..." He recounted what happens and sort of feeling guilty witnessing the moment Ranpo was slapped at the scene, "You know what happen next... after Ranpo-san bring about her past."

"It seems like she sees right through Ranpo that he was lying about having an ability huh..." Dazai commented and look over his laptop, "An ability user that can detect any form of a lie... no wonder she can become a prosecutor at such a young age." Dazai acknowledged. "Now I get it, maybe Ranpo-san has said something that trigger her."

"Huh? Isn't that her profile?" Atsushi caught your name written on it.

"That's right. I did a background check on her." Dazai nonchalantly stated like it was the most obvious thing to do. "I sort of get the situation better."

"You did what? Isn't that illegal?" Kunikida interposed but didn't disagree with his action.

"Well... we are a detective agency, after all." Dazai cackled, "What sort of a detective if we can't help our Ranpo?"

"Dazai-san, do you have any idea?" Tanizaki leans in.

"Of course. But it won't work if you guys were in it. So, as I have the ability to nullify others. This plan might only work for me... hehe."

Atsushi feels ominous and can't help but felt Dazai is up to no good, but this time, they actually pray that his devilish plan can bring Ranpo to his old self again. The poor lad has really been shaken to the core.

And you, on the other hand, had no idea what you just bring yourself into. Oh, sweet little (Name). You shouldn't mess up with the ADA in the first place. Absolutely, not with Ranpo. His motto is; as long as he's fine, then everything is fine.

If he's not, then it will result in the opposite for the whole agency. He is their pillar, after all.

Well, not that you will know what will happen to you when it comes to them. Now, you better prepared yourself for the worse for the entire Armed Detective Agency is coming for you.

But, it's not your fault in the first place, isn't it...?

You may think so, but it still won't change the outcome of this situation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 340 15
⤷𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙘𝙝𝙪𝙪𝙮𝙖 𝙩𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙢𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚, 𝙧𝙚𝙢𝙚𝙢𝙗𝙚𝙧 𝙝𝙞𝙢. ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙�...
278K 4.3K 38
╰┈➤ 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐢 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭, 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐢 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭, ...
957K 20.4K 29
// A collection of Bungou Stray Dogs oneshots; x readers_ || All requests closed ---------------------- • All one-shots are written by me, but I...
13.1K 348 8
【"𝘗𝘭𝘶𝘴. 𝘐𝘧 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘨𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨, 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘭𝘭 𝘤𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩 𝘮𝘦, 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵? 𝘠𝘰𝘶'𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘮𝘦, 𝘸𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘊𝘩𝘶𝘶�...