Heart of Gold

By LovelyWriter123

Jason McTern left the small town of Vensword to escape his sorrows. When he returns to check on his diner and... More

Chapter 2 Behind Closed Doors
Chapter 3 Taking Charge
Chapter 4 Flirt
Chapter 5 Buzz of the Town
Chapter 6 Caught
Chapter 7 Your Kind
Chapter 8 Past
Chapter 9 Different Man
Chapter 10 History Repeats
Chapter 11 New Feelings
Chapter 12 Surprise
Chapter 13 Lies Are Easier To Believe
Chapter 14 Enough is Enough
Chapter 15 Truth is Out
Chapter 16. Freedom is Bittersweet
Chapter 17 Hard Desicion
Chapter 18 Actions Are Louder than Words
Chapter 19 A New Begnning
Chapter 20 Day One
Chapter 21 A Picture Says A Thousand Words
Chapter 22 Heart of Gold
Chapter 23 Quitting Already
Chapter 24 Late Night Confessions
Chapter 25 New to these Feelings
Chapter 26 It's a Date
Chapter 27 Haunting Past
Chapter 28 Back to Work
Chapter 29 Urges
Chapter 30 Girls Love to Shop
Chapter 31 Green Eyed Monster
Chapter 32 Giving In
Chapter 33 The Morning After
Chapter 34 Ticket Out
Chapter 35 We Break Up, We Make Up
Chapter 36 Not Over Yet
Chapter 37 He's Not Going Anywhere
Chapter 38 It's Love
Chapter 39 Bitter Love
Chapter 40 He's Back
Chapter 41 Nightmare Come True
Chapter 42 A Sacrifice
Chapter 43 Close Call
Chapter 44 After It All
Epilogue

Chapter 1 Back in Town

106K 1.7K 118
By LovelyWriter123

Chapter 1

Back in town

Leaning against the counter my eyes roamed the almost empty diner. Except for an old man in the far back booth no one was here. I looked at the empty red vinyl booths hoping they would magically fill with people.

Sighing I grabbed the baby blue towel and wiped the white marble counter for the sixth time. I am a person who likes to keep busy so no customers is torture for me. It was nine in the morning which is slow for us. Our morning rush pasted as people stopped by before work or school. Now only a hand full come in until the lunch rush around twelve.

The Pot O'Gold diner is famous for its homemade meals but fast food is much quicker for people now a days. No one slows down for a good old fashion hot meal. Their lose. Jack and Lucielle McTern run this diner but people say their nephew owns it. I have worked here for a few years and never seen this mysterious owner whoever he is. Talk around town is he left with his inheritance but bought this diner for his aunt and uncle before he left.

Accidently I knocked the sugar packets over. Great! I bent down to pick them up causing my thigh high blue uniform skirt to rise a bit higher. The man in the corner seemed too wrapped up staring at his hands to see me. A strand of my red hair fell over my eyes.

Returning the sugar to there original spot I took off my elastic band and retied my blood red long hair into a low ponytail. If Ben found out my hair was down in public he'd have a cow. My stomach clenched in fear at the thought of him upset.

The little bell above the diner door rang indicating a new customer. I straightened up and flashed a smile like I always do.

A tall broad shouldered man in a open black leather jacket stood at the doorway. He turned his bronze face from side to side searching the diner causing a strand of jet black hair to shag over his flat forehead. His crystal blue eyes roamed the diner before settling on me. His eyes looked me over in an uncomfortable way before he walked over to the counter.

His brown worn boots hit the ground silently as his long lean legs stretched foward effortlessly. I found myself staring straight into his hard piercing eyes unable to look away. I gulped as he sat on the red vinyl stool in front of me. This man was in good shape. Long lean legs, strong forearms, wide chest, broad shoulders, wide bronze hands and I am practically alone with him.

I flashed him a bright smile "Welcome to The Pot O'Gold what can I get you?"

His cold eyes looked me up and down his mouth pulled downwards. "Coffee, black two spoons of sugar."

Nodding I poured his coffee well aware of his eyes on me. With shakey hands I placed the mug in front of him smiling weakly.

"Can I get you anything else?" I asked

The stranger ignored me and took a large gulp of his coffee. Feeling uncomfortable in his presence I went to the other side of the counter cleaning an imaginary stain. The old man stood up and placed a twenty on the table than walked out. He bought one cup of coffee that was barely three dollars.

I picked up the money and his mug than wiped the booth down with a towel. Slipping the towel into the large front pocket of my uniform I washed the mug at the sink behind the counter. I rang up the man's price up and put the twenty in.

"What about your tip?" a deep voice said

I turned to the stranger who was eyeing me suspiciously but his eyes still hard. At that moment I realized how handsome he is. He had a nice square jaw, straight smooth nose, flawless bronze skin and a dark stubble. Not to mention those icey smoldering blue eyes.

"That is too much of a tip for me to accept."

He looked at me with a puzzled look. Yeah any normal person would take the rest of the man's change. The man comes everyday and does the same thing. Once I tried giving him his change but he just walked out without a word.

"So..." his eyes dropped to my name tag "Grace are you working alone?"

Panic rose in my chest as bad thoughts ran through my mind. Oh god what if he is some crazy serial killer.

"No, the cooks are in the back." I motioned my hand to the kitchen doors

Yeah the lazy cooks took off and will be back in an hour or so. But I wasn't telling him that.

"No other waitresses?" he asked his eyes searching the empty diner

"She is actually going to be here any minute. It isn't so busy at this time anyway."

He shifted in his seat and prompted his elbows on the counter, his eyes held a glint of mischief.

"How old are ya?" he asked

It was then I heard the light irish accent. He didn't look irish.

"That isn't an appropiate question." I said looking at the counter rather than his face

"I just don't think teens should be missing school to wait on empty tables." he said in a mocking tone

He thinks I'm a child! Anger bubbled inside me at his snooty remark. The nerve of this ignorant stranger disrespecting Jack's diner. Jack runs a well managed diner that makes a decent profit. Here this jerk of a stranger comes with his cold, rude comments. Instead of defending the diner or myself I wiped the counter, again.

"Ignoring the customer, the only customer. Not very smart are you kid?" he snorted

I whipped my head up to his hard stare returning it with one of my own.

"You are a rude, cold man who knows nothing of this diner. We are a well respected diner that makes a fine profit thank you. You just happened to come at our slower hours. As for my age it is none of your concern but I am an adult. Now I am asking you to respect this diner or keep your mouth shut, sir."

He stared wide eyed at me. I blinked confusingly at him before my words registered in my mind. Oh gosh I didn't just do that. The man recomposed himself as the corner of his mouth tipped up into a smirk.

"I'm sorry sir I just didn't appreciate you disrespecting the McTern's diner. They are kind people who are doing a great job of running a respectable business.

His eyes narrowed as his smirk widened wickedly. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted when the front door swung open causing the bell to ding annoyingly.

Adjusting her uniform Jacklyn McTern, Jack's daughter walked in with her eyes downward.

"Sorry Gracie I over slept again." she said her eyes fixed on her crooked uniform

The man turned in her direction with a smile not that annoying smirk he gave me. Jacklyn is pretty, she has her father's thick chestnut brown hair and his smooth tan skin. Her mother's wide hazel eyes and perfect hourglass figure. Jacklyn is a sight to behold no wonder she caught this jerk's attention.

His eyes softened slightly as he stood.

"Jay." he said

Jacklyn looked up at the stranger before running into his arms. He chuckled and wrapped his strong arms around her. What the hell? I stared at them with wide eyes.

Jacklyn pulled away her eyes glassy with tears, crying is not Jacklyn's thing. She is a tough cookie so this man must be important. Than she punched the guy in the arm returning to her old self.

"That's for not visiting."

The man chuckled and wrapped his arm around her shoulder pulling her to his side.

"I call all the time." he said his tone slightly softer than when he spoke to me

Jacklyn shook her head a smile firmly on her face. She looked over at my shocked face and realised I was out of the loop.

"Oh Gracie this is Jason. Jason this is Gracie." she motioned between us

Jason stuck his hand out for me to shake. Hesitately I reached out a trembling hand to his. Jason's long bronze fingers wrapped around my wrist. His hand was rough indicating he worked with his hands and warm like a blanket during a storm.

"A pleasure Gracie." he said his eyes never leaving mine

I felt my hand trembling in his big warm hand. Jason definetly can feel my hand shaking in his so I pulled my free of his grasp. Jacklyn was as always oblivious to anything going on around her.

"Do mom and dad know your here? Of course not they would have told me. Wait how long are you staying?"

"No my return is a surprise. I thought you'd all be here but it was only Gracie." his icey blues eyes drifted to me for a second before returning to Jacklyn

"It doesn't matter as long as your here!" she squealed again a first for Jacklyn

She wrapped her arms around him snuggling to his chest. Again they embraced tightly and I felt like the third wheel. That cold, rude man just needed a familiar face.

"I'll let you have a private moment to ahh to umm...I'll go." I said ready to turn away

Jacklyn's girly laughter filled the empty diner catching my attention. I stared at her with a puzzled expression. Jason's face was in a scowl like I insulted him.

"Gracie this is Jason." Jacklyn said wiping tears from her eyes

Didn't she just introduce us a moment ago?

"Jason McTern." she continued with a raised eyebrow

I nodded as my brows dipped down in confusion.Was that suppose to mean something? Jason sighed in annoyance with as I stared at them puzzled.

"Let me give your poor brain cells a rest, Jay is my cousin." he stated harshly the coldness back in his tone

Wait Jason McTern as in my boss! Oh god I told my boss off before? What if he fires me for yelling at him? Whoa back up he called me stupid!

"Oh I didn't realize.. I mean. Nice to finally meet you." I mumbled my cheeks burning with embarrassment

Jason snorted in disgust. He towered over me making me feel smaller than I already felt. Without realising it I cringed back. He seemed to have caught my movement and narrowed his eyes.

"Where are aunt Lucielle and uncle Jack?" he asked turning his back to me

"At home they come in an hour or two. Do you want to go there now?" Jacklyn asked

"No I'll wait. Besides I have to catch up on the diner."

With that he walked to Jack's office and slammed the door without so much as a see ya. I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

"Why didn't you tell me he is your cousin? I made a complete fool of myself." I groaned as I remembered my 'speech'.

He is probably thinking of when to fire me right now. Jacklyn came around the corner rolling her eyes.

"Calm down you seemed to get along just fine."

Judging by the way he snorted disgustingly at me Jacklyn is wrong. Great I meet my boss and make a total idiot of myself.

Huffing at my stupidity I picked his half empty mug and did my job. What a perfect way to start your day.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As usual around noon people were pouring in my the dozens. The cooks had to fire up the back up stove to keep up with the orders. Today's speacil was tomato basil soup with a whole grain grilled cheese. Childish but perfect for this brisk mid december afternoon. Not to mention a hit.

"Who the hell orders a salad in winter?" Jackie said passing the order to the cooks through the open window to the kitchen

The diner was packed with people the warm smell of freshly cooked basil and fresh melted cheese. I grabbed the plates the cooks was passing through the window, balancing them on my forearms like Jackie taught me.

"Here you go, enjoy." I said placing the plates down and returned behind the counter

"Salad is a side dish not a fucking

lunch."

Jackie is a great waitress except for the fact that she doesn't leave the customers alone. She is a outspoken nineteen year old who is not shy to tell you the truth.

"Language Jacklyn."

I smiled as a tall hourglass shaped woman walked out from Jack's office. Lucielle has sunshine gold medium length hair, bright crystal blue eyes that looked alot like Jason's. She has a nice light tan like her daughter.

Today she was wearing a black stripped pants suit, a red ruffled satin dress shirt, a few bangles and black boots. Her golden hair was neatly pulled into a high tonytail.

Lucielle placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a smile. For a forty five year old her and Jack look young. No wrinkles only little streaks of white here and there.

"Sorry mom but these people don't know a good meal if it hit them over the head."

Jackie grabbed her orders and turned away mumbling about calorie counting fools, although she didn't exactly say fools.

The lunch rush went smoothly and we were back to our original hand full. Jackie was on her lunch break, it was only Lucielle and I working. Lucielle was behind the counter and I was waiting tables.

Collecting all the dirty dishes I put them in the back to be washed by the Leroy are cleaning man. Leroy is a nice elderly man who I think works a little too hard.

I was wiping the tables down and restocking the napkins almost done when the little bell above the door rang. Than a pair of small arms wrapped around my waist.

"Momma, momma look what aunt Jackie gave me."

Sarah shook her small pale hand in my face trying to show me a red crystal bracelet.

"Aunt Jackie says red means power."

I sent Jackie a warm smile thanking her for the present and kindness to Sarah.

"Did you thank aunt Jackie?" I asked tugging off her coat and hat

Sarah nodded causing her glossy brown curls to shake. She looked like me from her emerald green eyes, pale as snow skin, small nose. Everything but her hair, she gets that from her father.

"You wanna snack sweetheart?" Lucielle asked

"Yes Mrs. Lucielle."

Sarah hopped up on one of the stools. Lucielle gave her a grilled cheese and a glass of milk.

"Thank you." Sarah said before taking a big bite of the warm grilled cheese

Lucielle smiled warmly at Sarah and I felt my heart swell in pride. I made sure Sarah was not a rude child, I made sure she was polite and respected people. But that little girl had a tongue that at times got her in trouble. That's my little girl.

"How was pre school?" I asked putting her coat in the back with mine

"I learned to count to twenty, I was the only one." she boasted

Jackie taught her how to count last summer. According to Jackie a woman who can't count doesn't count.

"Can I get a refill?" a man held out his cup sounding annoyed

Lucielle poured him another cup of coffee and began small talk with him. That's what she does, you're grumpy over whatever but Lucielle just brightens your day with her southern accent and kindness.

"Oh Gracie hun can you bring Jason's lunch, thank you."

Jason hasn't left Jack's office not even when his aunt and uncle came. Jack had to get some orders today so they didn't spend much time together.

I didn't want to bring Mr. Crabby his lunch, to be honest I was happy when he stayed locked in his office. But Lucielle asked and I have no good answer. Dreadfully I grabbed a bowl of soup and grilled cheese.

I knocked on the door to be greeted with a grunt. Taking that as a yes I entered. Jason was bended over Jack's large oak desk filled with papers about the diner. There was a bright lamp over his head as he scribbled something furiously.

He never looked up once. I placed his lunch down as his eyes lifted up to me slowly.

"What is this?" he asked disgusted

He put his pen down, his icey blue eyes went down to his lunch than to me. My heart pounded rapidly against my chest.

"Its tomato basil soup and fresh grilled cheese."

"I know what it is. Why the hell did you bring it here?" his nose scrunched in disgust

"Mrs. Lucielle said to bring you lunch." I said nervously

Jason sat back in his his cold eyes looking me over. His jaw clenched, he cocked his head to the side.

"So you gave me this!" Jason leaned foward so quick I stepped back out of habit

Opening my mouth to speak no sound came out and on top of being speechless I was terrified that I'm alone with this large man yet again. Jason stood up to his full height causing my shoulders to slump.

"I have eaten at elegant resturants which have culinary chefs not cheap home cooks looking for a couple bucks. And you have the nerve to bring this in!" he spit a vein bulging in his neck

"This is what people around here like." I squeaked

His eyes turned to slits fixed right at me. I felt myself shake in fear at what he'd do in his state of anger. He lifted his large hand and ran it through his hair. I flinched as thoughts of those large hands pounding my skin ran through my mind.

Jason caught my movement and looked me over curiously his jaw clenching tight before returning to my face.

"Just go." he said coldly

Nodding I ran out of the room like my life depended on it. Leaning against the door I took deep breaths to calm myself.

Why is my heart racing? Standing up straight I smoothed out my uniform. It is offical that man hates me.

******************

Vote, Comment and Fan!!

Tell me what you think! Oh and I need a cover for this story so if your interested PM me.

~LovelyDove43~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

215K 4.9K 29
Evelyn is finally convinced to go to a party by her best freind, Gabby, and her crush, Ryan. But after getting extremely drunk, Ryan and Evelyn have...
31.7K 348 25
Andria and her twin brother Andrew live in small town Minnesota. They are just starting their senior year of high school when things begin to change...
Salvation By Kaitlyn

Teen Fiction

316K 5.3K 35
She's his prize, his beautiful, flawless prize. She's his trophy, a girl he stole from the world. He holds her captive in the harsh shadows of the ba...
26.1K 352 20
Kendall, a bisexual 16-year-old, is living at home with an abusive mother, who's also an alcoholic. To cope with the physical pain received from her...