The Outlaw (Now on Radish)

By JaneKiley713

Abigail lived in her sister's shadow all of her life. She had to live up to her only sister's expectations. S... More

NOW ON RADISH
NOTICE
The Outlaw
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Epilogue
Recent Events

Chapter 3

1.3K 62 6
By JaneKiley713

Albert departed home a week late, after father had wrote to the headmaster of his school of the recent events in our household. I hated seeing my brother leave. It pained me to the point where it physically hurt. Albert had spent the night in my bed, holding me tight as we attempted to sleep. Neither of us really slept more than a few hours at a time.

"Abigail, it's not forever," Albert said as he re-entered my room. He had changed into his school uniform as Helen, Mr. Gray's sister, finished lacing my dress up. "It feels like forever." I said, allowing my chin to quiver. Helen took my hand and squeezed it once before leaving my room.

"What will I do next year? When both you and Daniel leave for school? And then when Gabriel leaves for school? And then when I marry and the rest of you marry? I do not think my heart can handle it." I whispered. Albert sighed and kneeled next to me.

"You will always be my sister—our sister. We will always be there for you. But one day you will need to be strong and live the life you were meant to. " Albert took my hand and kissed it softly. "Be strong for me, please." I nodded my head once as Albert stood and pulled me into his arms.

"I believe it is time for me to leave." He said softly. "Could I convince you to stay?" I whispered as he left my room. Albert kissed my head and continued walking until we reached the ground floor. My family stood waiting at the front door, and Mr. Gray hovered not too far behind them. Albert set me down and took my hand, giving it a squeeze.

"Be strong, I shall see you before your season starts." He said, kissing my cheek once more. He moved to hug our mother and grandmother, and then Katrina and the twins. He shook hands with Papa, Grandfather and our brothers, stopping to threaten Henry before engulfing him into a hug. "I shall write when I arrive back at school! I love you all!" He exclaimed before leaving out the front door. I paused for a moment before gathering all my strength and running after him.

"Lady Abigail!" Mr. Gray shouted after me. I ran down the steps and into the snow, collapsing in the white fluffiness. Mr. Gray landed next to me, soiling his own clothes in the snow. He shed his jacket and placed it around my shoulders before putting his arms around me. "Lady Abigail, we must go inside before you catch a cold."

I shook my head, pushing his jacket to the ground. "Leave me be." I whispered, fisting my hands in my skirt. I could feel my back tensing, locking me into this crumpled position. Mr. Gray tried to lift me up and pain shot up my body. "Leave me be!" I screamed. Mr. Gray touched my back, ever so gently, and it seized, sending a horrid spasm up my back. I opened my mouth to scream, but nothing would come out.

"Abigail," Mr. Gray said, his eyes widening. He turned towards my family and yelled to them that it was my back. "Abigail, look at me. We will get this problem solved. I promise you this." Mr. Gray slid his arms around my body and lifted me into his arms. He stood and ran back to the house, pushing past my family and up the front staircase.

"Helen, get my things from my room!" He barked at his sister as he barged into my room. Helen did as she was told, scurrying from the room. Mr. Gray laid me down gently on my bed before stripping me down to my slip and corset. "Please forgive me, Abigail, but it must be done." I moaned in pain, fisting my hands in the bedding.

"I don't want to live like this anymore!" I cried, thrashing my head from side to side. Mr. Gray slid his hands to my neck, trying to grab my head and hold it in place. "No more pain, Mr. Gray." I whimpered. Mr. Gray looked at me with wide eyes as Mother, Father and Daniel charged into the room.

"Mr. Gray, what happened? Why is she in pain?" Mama questioned, rushing to my side. The spasm continued, making my body seize and contract like I was possessed. "Do something!" She shouted at Mr. Gray. I felt Mr. Gray's thumbs stroke my cheeks gently.

"Please forgive me, Abigail." He whispered again. I was confused as to why he was apologizing again. I thought it was just for seeing me in my undergarments. "Has her doctor reset her bones before?" He asked, his voice cracking.

"Yes, Mr. Gray; twice before, once immediately after the accident and again two years later. We have not done so since." Papa said, coming closer to the bed.

"I believe a large part of her discomfort is from the bones reseting incorrectly. I hate to do this to Lady Abigail, but if we—I re-fracture her bones again and encase her in plaster... It could giver a better chance at healing and having less pain. I will only do it if Lady Abigail consents to it." Mr. Gray looked at me with worried eyes. He looked as if he was afraid to hurt me.

"Please, Mr. Gray. I trust you." I whispered as Helen rushed back into the room. Mr. Gray whipped his head towards his sister. "Get the plaster going and get me the ether with a rag, please."

*

*

*

I felt my mouth being forced open and something metal thrust into it. A pair of hands gently massaged my throat, as if they were coaxing me to swallow something. Everything felt like it was on fire and I could not open my eyes for the life of me.

"Victor, she's been out for two days. Her family is worried the poor girl won't wake up." I heard Helen say. Who was Victor, and more importantly, why was he in my room. "She will wake up, Helen. She is a strong girl. That I am sure of."

I heard Helen scoff, moving away from the bed slightly. "You are growing attached to this child! We have only been here a week, brother! I cannot believe you would do this. She is above your station in every way." Helen snapped.

"Mother and father fell in love in a week, and promptly married a month later. Do not tell me that it is improper to grow attached to this woman in a week." The man snapped back, his voice rising slightly. "Victor Gray, we are supposed to be skating under the attention of the law. If you end up falling in love with this girl, you will marry her. I know you will. You will never be able to escape the law being attached to her."

Mr. Gray. Was I hearing this correctly? My Mr. Victor Gray was growing attached to me? It could not possibly be. "I will not grow attached to her, Helen. We are here for a job and nothing more." Mr. Gray murmured. "Please watch her while I inform her family of her progress." Moments later my door opened and closed and Helen took his place.

"If you are awake, Abigail, I want you to know thatI am your friend. And as your friend, I advise you to keep my brother at arms length at all time." Helen said, taking my hand. "So open those beautiful eyes, Abigail." I moaned, turning my head towards Helen, cracking my eyes open slightly.

"I wish to sit up." I whispered, willing my back muscles to lift me up. I cried out when my back contracted slightly, making me sink into the bed. "Abigail, do not move. We had to reset your bones. You are in full body plaster and will be confined to the bed for some time." Helen explained, placing her hands on my shoulders.

"Water, please, Helen." I whispered. Helen turned and grabbed a glass, then brought it to my lips. After a long gulp from the glass, I dropped my head back on my pillows and closed my eyes for a moment. "Helen, tell me the truth. Do you think I will walk again—like you and everyone else?" Helen remained silent for a moment before squeezing my hand gently.

"My brother will do everything in his power to make you walk and stand without discomfort. But I do not think you will ever be like you were." Helen told me, giving me a small smile. I knew she was telling me the truth, but I hated it. I longed to be able to walk—to run without the fear my back and hips will seize in pain. I wanted to be free of my burdens. "What are you thinking, Abigail?"

I pursed my lips together, looking at the ceiling before turning my gaze to Helen. "For nearly ten years now, I have lived in constant pain. AllI want is to be able to run like I used to. I want to have my freedom back, Helen. That is all I want. No one can give me that, not even your brother. My parents have taken the whole family to London, and beyond, to find a cure for me. And every doctor has told us the same thing: I will be crippled for the rest of my life. That finding me a husband would be futile and they should send me away or sweep me under the rug. No one has ever given me a chance, except your brother." I confessed. Helen opened her mouth to speak as the door to my room burst open and my family piled in.

"Oh my, Abby!" Mama exclaimed, rushing to my side. "How are you feeling? I know Mr. Gray said you didn't feel thing during the resetting, but do you feel anything now?"

I licked my lips and looked at my mother, forcing a smile on my lips. "I feel numb, Mama, and a little itchy." I whispered, stretching my hand out for hers. "Don't fret, Mama. I shall be alright in a month or two."

"Yes, you will be up and walking again." Mama said, squeezing my hand tightly.

"Mr. Gray, is it alright to lay the twins on Abby?" Katrina asked, moving to the other side of my bed. I saw Mr. Gray nod at Katrina and she laid Adelaide on my chest. "They missed their aunt, Abby. But I assure you, they were perfect angels these past few days. Alexandre looks an awful lot like you, which surprised me. Adelaide inherited you personality, though. I never want you to miss a moment of them, Abby."

I smiled, putting my hands on my niece's back. She was so warm and fragile; my heart belonged to her, and Alexandre as well. "I wouldn't miss them for the world." I promised her.

We spent hours talking and laughing together, only being interrupted for an occasional meal. Mr. Gray watched my family from the far corner of the room, looking disheveled and quite tired. I wonder if he had slept at all in the past two days. Late in the evening, possibly around ten o'clock, my family dissipated from the room, leaving Helen and Mr. Gray with me.

"We are here for any of your needs—food, water, use of the chamber pot—anything, Abby." Helen said, sitting at my bedside.

"Sleep, both of you. You look like its been years since you've last slept." I said, my voice nearly a whisper. Helen looked at her brother, receiving a curt nod from him.

"We have a cot in the corner. I'll take the first shift. Do sleep, Abby. Your body needs it." Helen said, leaning down and kissing my cheek. "Sweet dreams my friend."

"And to you as well, Helen." I said, smiling at her as she went to the cot and fell asleep. Mr. Gray stood rigid at the foot of my bed. I noticed that his cravat was no where to be found, his waist coat was undone, as were the top two buttons of his start white shirt. He looked like a rake,or so I understood from Katrina's descriptions. The only other man I knew outside the family has been away at school for nearly five years now. He is good friend, studying medicine in London.

"Mr. Gray, are you alright? You look stiff." I commented. Mr. Gray cleared his throat with a nod, looking away from my eyes. "I'm quite alright, you should rest, Lady Abigail."

"You called meAbigail two days ago, you may still call me that." I said, pulling the covers over my body more. The plaster covered me from my chest to my upper thighs. "Are we friends, Mr. Gray?"

"Yes, La—Abigail, we are indeed friends." Mr. Gray said, shifting from foot to foot. "Please, Abigail, rest."

"Only if you tell me your first name." I countered. "And fix my pillows, please." Mr. Gray smirked and came to my side, wrapping my arms around his neck and one of his around my back. "Hold on tight," He instructed, lifting me slightly. He smelled of soap and tea leaves. He laid me down gently after adjusting my pillows, avoiding my eyes at all costs.

"My name is Victor Gray, Abigail. Sleep well." He said, pushing a piece of hair out of my face. I grinned as Victor turned and took a seat. I knew his name.

*

*

*

*

*

Hello Lovelies!!

I am so sorry for the late update. The last few months of school I was completely bogged down with work and graduation was a week ago but I am back! I will get some more updates out asap.

How have you guys been? Are you excited for summer? Already have a head start on your summer?

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.1K 1.4K 20
She steals, she lays in the streets at night, she's tired, and hungry, and alone. Bailey Lillian Nova was abandoned by her parents who never wanted h...
978K 38.6K 33
Brianna never knew the man she met one night at a football game then later fell in love with. Had a secret. One very huge secret that he knew if it w...
The Runaway By JaneKiley713

Historical Fiction

1.8K 80 16
Daniel is an aspiring lawyer, like his Uncle Keegan. He has plans to become a member of parliament, even Prime Minister. A year after he finished his...
The Coveted Countess By Laura

Historical Fiction

2.2M 81.6K 30
Two years after Nathaniel Swift left for America to forget the woman he loved, he learns she's engaged to another man -- and returns to England to wi...