Thanatos : The Red Dawn

By Devita33

((A Wattpad featured story)) *COMPLETED* #1 in Fantasy (Book #1 in the DAWN series) #greekmythology The Red... More

Thanatos : The Red Dawn (Book 1) Prologue
(1)Russet Shades
(2)Tuscan Red Rogue
(3)Wine coloured poison
(4)Tinted to Crimson
(5)Flamboyant Flame
(6)Morbid Maroon
(7)The Cardinal Sin
(8)Bloody Truth
(9)Rusted in Resistance
(10)Silhouettes in the Sunset
(11)Rosy Candle Light
(12)Sorrow-filled Vermilion Coast
(13)Scarlett Facades
(14)A Carmine Salute (Part 1)
(14)A Carmine Salute (Part 2)
(15)A Quaking Scarlet
(16)Hell is a Cherry Red
(17)Sour Raspberries
(18)Son of a Burgundy (Part 1)
(18)Son of a Burgundy (Part 2)
(19)Torn up in Red wine
(20)Coquelicot's Demise
(21)Coercing Coral Rivers
(22)Rosso Sognare (Part 1)
(22)Rosso Sognare (Part 2)
(23)Rosey Trance
(25)The lost Scarlet
(26)Cardinal Fix
(27)The Cherry-Sway
(28)A Red hunger
(29)A Dangerous Flame
(30)A Plea in Crimson
(31)Sour Strawberries
(32)Forget the Bad Blood
(33)My Fire, My Fury
(34)Bribes, Burgundy and Bastards
(35)The Blushing Game
(36)Unforgiving Scarlet
(36)Unforgiving Scarlet (Part 2)
(37)Auburn and Outlandish
(38)Bordeaux Touch
(39)Ruby Camaraderie
(40)The Sunrise Theory
(41)Garnet Wine and Familiar Yearning
(42)A Carnelian Damsel
(43)Bloody Intrusion (Part 1)
(43)Bloody Intrusion (Part 2)
(44)Sweet Vermilion Dreams
(45)Pomegranate Pips (Part 1)
(45)Pomegranate Pips(Part 2)
Epilogue
Crimson Pieces- The Tales Book
FACTS
SEQUEL
1 Million

(24)Ruddy Minds

33.6K 1.7K 479
By Devita33

"Trust a man who says he can irk Death, and isn't dead yet..."

Ruddy Minds

"Has Thanatos hurt you on any other occasion, Aurora? I realise leaving you in his care is- well- negligent, but I assure you no harm will come to you, so long as you obey his commands and-"

"His commands? You're joking right?" I raised my voice and an eyebrow with it. This man was making a joke, right? Thanatos- giving me commands? That'll be the day...

Conrad sighed inaudibly and nodded his head in silent agreement to my dilemma. I could see a war raging in his eyes. He was just an old man, set on some or other task, which he had no desire to follow- or rather, the rules of the task frustrated him.

"Please, in the very least try not to anger him." Conrad said, subtly pleading with me to see some reason. 

I was stubborn and I usually held my ground, but this was a situation I'd never been in, and strangely enough, you'd think I would fight doubly as hard to keep my side, but I could feel my guard slipping slowly. I wanted to get out of this situation mentally intact.

Or at least alive.

"I mustn't anger him?"

Although, my fears didn't stop me from getting the point across to Conrad, who now looked more serious than before.

"No, I don't think you understand, Conrad. I'm in danger around him! He's an animal, and he has absolutely no self-control. Since the moment we met, he's been sadistic, manipulative and not to mention he's threatened just about everyone I know."

"Sounds about right..." A ghost of a sad smile appeared on Conrad's lips, which only fed my anger from a flame to a fire.

"This isn't funny."

Conrad looked up from the floor and into my glaring eyes. I was being poised and calm, while I tried to reason with him, but underneath the facade, my body was burning with rage. I would never disadvantage myself just so I could keep Thanatos' temper under control. 

I'm not a mouse and Conrad clearly mistook me for exactly that.

The small dome was bathed in candlelight. It looked beautifully romantic, but that's a little inappropriate right now. Especially while the man seated across from me was probably triple my age.

Conrad remained quiet, his eyes wandering across my serious face. He was debating what route to take in order for me to see his point. Conrad was hoping I'd agree meekly and keep my mouth shut and listen. Little did he know...

I won't budge that easily.

"He has no conscience."

"Do you not think that if he had no conscience he would've acted like nothing was wrong?"

Annoyance grew inside me, wrapping my chest in a tight grasp as I tried to breathe normally. Conrad was referring to the spell- or trance- that Thanatos had placed on me. I wasn't going to deny that that it was strange, but there was no running away from the problem. He'd hurt me even before he'd cast that trance. 

For all we know, he only made me forget so he could have a second chance later on- perhaps with more favourable results. What a sick bastard.

Or perhaps he just wanted me to suffer more than I already have and hate him more than I already do.

Nonetheless, Conrad's protective nature towards Death made me grow weary. Was this man truly here to bring sense to my life again or was this yet another trick?

"Don't you dare defend him." My voice was cold, unlike my blood, which now felt like it was on fire.

Thunder rang in the darkness.

Did bad weather follow me everywhere?

"He ran away, Aurora. I've never seen him retreat like that. Dear, you have an effect on him, it's clear. Yet, I'm uncertain of what this effect will lead to-"

"Let me guess... Possibly the loss of my virginity and head?"

A small blush crept onto my cheeks as I forgot with whom I was speaking. Conrad shifted uncomfortably in his white chair and tactfully avoided the awkward question.

It might've been slightly blunt, but it wasn't far-fetched. Thanatos was a arrogant man who thought the world revolved around him and his needs. There weren't a lot of things that scared me, but being forced into something against my will was one of them.

By now I knew nothing was off-limits to Thanatos. He took what he wanted, when he wanted it and to hell with everything else. He was like a spoilt brat with a big-ass scythe and a rock solid six-pack.

It wasn't fair- hating someone so ridiculously divine.

Focus...

"Thanatos has direct orders from his master not to harm you or your loved ones in any way."

You're joking right? The overgrown brat has a 'master'.

"And you want me to trust Thanatos' relationship with his master?"

I barely knew anything about Thanatos- except for the basics- like he was the Greek god of death, he had a poltergeist for a cloak, a scythe so big it could cut through a small forest and he even had sex-appeal as a fluffy cat, but other than that- I knew absolutely nothing. 

Not his favourite colour, not his shoe size (which was probably quite big, sadly speaking from experience) and not even the limit to his powers. And yet Conrad wanted me to trust a relationship between a sadistic man-whore and a god (I can only assume) I thought was created from an overactive imagination.

Yes, splendid. That'll work...

I barely trust the weather forecast.

"I know what I'm asking is-" I cut Conrad's excuse short. "If that's the case, speaking from experience, Thanatos doesn't exactly have a good track-record with obedience. He clearly has no problem in defying his 'master's' orders."

Conrad nodded his head as he tapped his index finger on his bearded chin, "He can be a tad... rebellious at times."

I scoffed loudly. 'At times.' Oh, there was another thing I could add to my list of Thanatos- He's a little bit rebellious, but not really, just at times, when it's that time of the month.

"Who's this 'master' anyway?" I asked with narrowed eyes and crossed my arms over my chest in annoyance. This conversation was leading nowhere and the truth of this whole ordeal was evading me, just like the patience I had when we started this discussion.

"Hades. He is-"

Hades.

Hades was Thanatos' master. I should've known. My brain went into overdrive as Conrad continued to explain to me who 'Hades' was, but my ears didn't function. I tried to push my thoughts back to history class.

Hades- I knew that name very well. All the girls use to swoon whenever the teacher began talking about him; all their 'bad-boy turned good' fantasies fulfilled. Meanwhile, he was jut another asshole who saw a pretty girl, (underaged I might add) decided that he wanted her for himself and then proceeded in taking her, which resulted in months of bitter cold. 

Don't get me wrong, history was one of my favourite subjects, and I had no quarrel with the gods nor mythology, but ever since I'd been introduced to this world where everything was actually real- I was beginning to wonder how much of those ridiculous and barbaric stories were true?

And if they were, Hades wasn't someone I wanted to mess with. I could see why Conrad had confidence in Thanatos' compliance towards Hades' orders, but from what I've experienced thus far, his supposed respect for Hades wasn't all that strong. Seeing as on numerous occasions he clearly enjoyed being a heartless pain in my ass.

Conrad was still lecturing me on the Underworld, but I quickly interrupted before it spread to other figures in mythology and then I'd have to sit here until tomorrow morning listening to my entire history syllabus all compressed into one explanation.

"Thank you, Conrad, but I know who Hades is; and the basics of Greek mythology."

Conrad smiled softly; "I'm glad to hear that; it makes my task so much easier..."

He stood up from his chair and picked up the porcelain pot by its handle.

A task; so I was right...

"What do you mean?" I groaned impatiently; "I still have no idea why I'm here and why Death is suddenly my housemate? Not to mention everything I learnt in the past about mythology and religion could be wrong?"

Conrad placed the pot onto the desk and turned to face me, his face serious and full of thought. "Aurora, the gods need you."

I paused. 

My breathing stopped without my permission and I think glass broke somewhere in the deep caverns of my mind. It felt like someone was switching off the lights in my head, one-by-one.

"P...pardon me?"

POOF! Aaannd there goes my sanity.

Even when I was shocked to my core, sarcasm was my default coping mechanism.

"You are the heir to Hecate's domain and title."

Oh, good. 

It was getting better.

"H-Hecate?"

"Do you know of her?"

I nodded my head.

Wasn't she the goddess of- No. No, it couldn't be. I was mistaken. She wasn't. 

Nope.

Nah-ah.

"I know this is too much to take in right now, but it's important that you listen very carefully, my child."

April fools!

I wish- I thought as Conrad's expression turned more serious.

"You are commanded to ascend as the new goddess of witchcraft, ghosts, crossroads and necromancy."

Did he just say necromancy?

"Ne-necromancy?"

"Yes."

I nodded my heavy head.

My mind was running at a speed faster than a jet and I felt like smoke was going to shoot out from my ears at any moment. Ghosts? Crossroads? What does that even mean?

Conrad stood before me, patiently waiting for my scrambled brain to process all of this new and ridiculous information. He sipped at his tea and I felt like smacking it from his hand. This was no time for Earl Grey! Far from it! This felt more like the time for whiskey...

"Is this a prank?" My voice was so soft and for a moment I thought Conrad hadn't heard me, but solemnly he answered; "I'm afraid not."

A little part in my brain that still thought that perhaps I was dreaming or that this was all just one big joke, broke apart and drifted away. I couldn't make eye-contact with the old man in front of me, but instead kept my eyes glued to his porcelain teacup. It had pretty lilac tulips running across its rim.

I admired the cup for what felt like a decade before Conrad sighed and took hold of my shoulder, but before he could lead me to the couch, my small voice broke the silence; "Do I have a choice?"

His grip loosened. I could feel sad eyes watching the side of my face, but he didn't answer my question; instead he led me to the soft cushions.

"Come."

I felt like crying. Then and there- it didn't matter that it would be in front of a stranger; I just needed to let it all out. I had no choice; it was clear from the old wizard's omission to answer that he didn't have the heart to tell me. He didn't have the heart to break my spirit.

His hand gave my shoulder a tight squeeze as I sat down. The plush material of the couch was inviting and comfortable, but my hands trembled as I touched the sides of the armrests.

"Is there any way to escape?"

Conrad sat opposite me, on the sofa, and shook his head slowly.

"Thought so..." That part of my brain that cried for a way out was long gone. I had no hope of recovering it.

"Aurora, there is no choice but to do your duty. Thanatos will follow you wherever you go- even into death."

I blinked away some stray tears threatening to fall and looked up into concerned grey eyes. I blinked and furrowed my brows in surprise.

"I would never do that... I wasn't thinking about ending my life at all! If anything it would probably just bring me closer to him. He already has so much power over me. I'm not about to play into his hand, Conrad."

I gave him a stern look and he relaxed slightly, his shoulders loosened. "I understand; just making sure you won't do anything drastic. More tea?"

He lifted his pot and indicated to my full, cold cup of tea. His demeanour was suddenly too cheery- it didn't fit the atmosphere of the darkening room. I know he was just trying to make light of a dire situation, but it didn't help. If anything, it made me feel like he wasn't fully appreciating my anger and fear.

"No, thank you."

"We need to discuss your arrangements."

I clasped my trembling hands together and forced the headache forming at my temples back. "You do realise I won't do this willingly? I'll never stop trying to escape."

"I expected as much. You have fire in you," He poured more tea into his small cup; his eyes sparkling with a knowing glint; "You'd make a fine goddess."

"This is unreal." I dropped my head into my hands and whispered to myself. My head felt heavier than ever before. I closed my eyes- I never wanted to open them again.

"Everything will work out the way it should, my child." Conrad's soothing voice echoed from the walls. The pain in my neck and lip was long forgotten and all I could feel now was a surging numbness throughout my entire body. I felt powerless.

"I don't want to die..." I said softly; mostly to myself. Conrad's large hand came to rest upon my heavy head and he patted it gently.

"And you won't. I give you my word."

The old man retreated back to his spot on the sofa, a steaming cup in his hand. I lifted my head and shook it slowly.

"I don't think you understand. If I accept this- this ridiculous situation; I don't think I'll ever be able to live my life the way I want to. I won't be able to go to the university I want to, become a lawyer, see my family- my friends! Be a wife, a mother and grow old? And if you're not living, you're... dead."

Conrad contemplated my words for a few seconds. I gave him a pleading look- he must be able to help. He has to know a way out of this?

"You're a clever young lady, Aurora. You have my utmost respect and sympathy, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do. You are bound by your duty. The gods are depending on you. Something like this has never happened before, thus all the deities are unnerved and anxious to fill the void of a very prominent title. Your presence is needed to restore balance in a very unruly plane of the universe. But what I can do, and will do, is assist you in your training. I'll prepare you for everything."

"You're going to be my mentor?"

"Yes, I was appointed to teach you everything you need to know about your role and to improve your magic until it's sufficient enough for a goddess of your rank."

I felt like the pressure was just being piled on- one for one. Every load heavier than the one before."Magic?"

This 'goddess' business didn't exactly sound like a walk in the park and now they wanted me to perform magic?

Conrad's eyes scanned my nervous eyes skeptically; "You've never experienced any strange magical events?"

"No... I don't think so?"

"Very odd indeed." Conrad muttered; "Hmm... It seems we have much to do. We should start as soon as possible."

"Conrad?" The old man's calculating gaze sprang up from his tea cup; "Why me?"

The haunting question. The question on everybody's lips (only mine, really). The question everybody's been waiting for (again, just me probably).

"You, my dear, are the closest descendant of Hecate. The oracle directed us to your linage- he's never wrong. He's a rather annoying old man, to be frank."

I chuckled, not really knowing why. The situation wasn't exactly comical, but I laughed nonetheless. I think it was the confusion of it all or it could've been the fear too; all I know is it felt good to let something out.

Conrad, confused by my outburst, just smiled down at me with worry.

I rubbed my thumbs together. "I think I need a week's worth of sleep."

"You're more than welcome to stay here for the night, if you wish. The academy is perfectly safe."

"Thank you, Conrad, but it's only around noon back home and I need to see my parents."

Conrad nodded his head as I relaxed my fingers. I felt a bit calmer knowing that I had someone as wise and as kind as Conrad to talk to.

"Of course, I completely understand. Spend some time with your loved ones. I will call for you in a week from now. I'll give you a tour of the academy's grounds and chambers."

"I'll be training here?" I looked around the small, but cozy room. It was dark out and the gardens outside were lit up with tall, Gothic-styled lamps. "It's so beautiful."

Conrad smiled with pride; "This is a very special academy for gifted children."

"Gifted? Gifted with magical abilities?"

"The children that are allowed to study here are not only proficient in magic, but also have other special talents. Some are gifted in sports or academics- others in the arts or other forms of spiritual fields, such as telepathy, telekinesis and so forth. It's a well-rounded school; and a well-kept secret." Conrad grinned proudly.

"This is unbelievable. Magic, gods, another realm..." I whispered the last part to myself and Conrad gave me a wide smile. "I have a feeling you'll be very happy here."

My excitement quickly faded as my thoughts sprang back to my parents and my two best friends. If studying here meant I that had to leave them behind- permanently- I did't know if I'd be able to do that. It's one thing to go out and explore the world, but to sever ties; that's so much harder. That was the last thing I wanted.

"What about my parents? What happens to them?"

Conrad shifted his weight and my nerves shot up like the hair on the back of an angry cat. "Nothing, dear. I promise no harm will come to them."

I had a feeling Thanatos didn't share Conrad's sentiment.

"What will happen when my training is done? Will I still be able to see them?"

"That is uncertain for now. The gods will decide on that when the time comes."

"So long as they're all safe, I'll do whatever I have to do, but I want you to know that I'll still be looking for some sort of way out of this. I don't plan on deserting any of them."

"You have that right. And who knows- perhaps you enjoy yourself more than you think? This is, after all, your destiny."

I'll be the judge of that.

"We will start your training when summer ends."

I finally took hold of the cold teacup in front of me and took a sip. The tea was black and icy, but it wet my dry lips. Conrad picked up the pot to pour me a fresh cup, I raised my hand and declined. I wasn't after it for the taste.

"So then in three weeks time?"

"Yes, you'll be attending this academy as a university per se. All preparations have been made."

"I'm already signed in at another university? Surely my parents will get suspicious when I call them from Italy?"

"You're name has been removed from the list of students at Ash-bridge University and as for your parents, Thanatos has been instructed to alter their memories. They will now see no problem with you calling them from Italy, seeing as they will believe you are a student here at the academy on a scholarship for your high results, but please do remember Aurora; no one must know of your purpose and the real reason you are here."

I nodded. This was all a bit scary. Conrad has planned so far ahead already and here I was sitting on his chair with my mouth open like a goldfish. Seeing as how Thanatos could read minds, I wasn't going to bother asking how Conrad knew which university I was listed by and how he managed to remove all my documentation without my parents or my permission. Some things I didn't want to know.

"That's going to be difficult seeing as they'll be expecting a report at the end of the year and my friends think I'm going to be studying at the same university as them?"

"Thanatos will deal with your parents. Don't worry. As for your friends, I suggest you should handle that? But, if you wish, I could ask Thanatos-"

"That won't be necessary." I spoke quickly; the thought of Thanatos near any of my loved ones was a sickening image. "I already hate the fact that he's obligated to deal with my parents, I don't want him anywhere near anyone else I care for if it's not completely necessary."

The wizard nodded his head and placed his empty teacup on the table. I mimicked his action; it was time to head home. There was much to process and even more to do.

I stood up with wobbly knees and stretched my arms. It felt like we'd been talking for hours. My headache was gone, but my eyes were heavy and my head was full of questions that I knew I'd have to leave for our next meeting.

He stood up slowly. "I'm here if you ever need to talk."

"Thank you," I said with genuine sincerity, "I appreciate it."

"I know this will take some time to process and three weeks will never be enough, but it will all be alright, Aurora."

I nodded my heavy head with determination. I wasn't planning on letting this bring me down. It was a hell of a setback, but there's no point in moping around.

"Fate has a great deal planned for you."

A skew smile found its way onto my mouth; "It's funny, I always felt something was missing. I wonder if all of this," I lifted my hands up, indicating to the candle-lit dome, "was it?"

"You'll be surprised at how naturally things will come to you here. You'll quickly feel right at home." Conrad chuckled softly and lifted his palm. A small tornado sprang up from his hand and I couldn't help but stare at it in amazement. I gasped and laughed in awe. Will I be able to do something like that? I wondered if I could create one big enough to swallow Thana- No. No more thinking about him. It was time to focus on me.

The tornado vanished into thin air. Conrad laughed at my astonished expression. "Wait until you see what you'll be able to do..."

"I have two more questions before I leave, if you don't mind?"

"No, of course not. Ask away, Aurora; I'm here to help."

This was all making some strange sense and I couldn't help but wonder how people like Conrad had been able to hide their abilities for so long. "Where will I be living? Will I be placed in the academy's hostel or do I have to start looking for an apartment?"

Conrad cleared his throat at my question and I could feel the air in the dome grow thick with an awkward tension. Is this an odd question? It's not like it's inappropriate, right? I thought it was a reasonable question?

"Everything has been organised for you, child." Conrad paused; "Hades does not want you in a hostel here, but instead has placed you under the direct care of your... eh- guardian."

I smiled widely; "So then I'll be staying with you, Conrad?"

For the first time the old man looked scared. "Uh, well, no. I am merely your mentor and adviser. You're guardian is-"

"Don't even say his name." My voice was like ice.

This is just laughable.

Conrad sighed at my angry expression; his eyes full of sympathy for my situation. I had to 'live' with the devil himself. What fun.

"I'm sorry, Aurora. I wish I could make this easier for you, but these orders are directly from Hades himself and nonnegotiable."

"He better not touch me." I said solemnly. "If he tries anything, I'll... Well, I will-" I sighed and sat back down onto the soft chair.

Was there anything I could do against Death? It's not like I could kill him...

"The best advice I could give you is to learn what makes him tick." Conrad said assuredly and I looked up to meet his eyes; "And then use it to your advantage- before he does the same to you."

Conrad nodded towards me knowingly and I could tell that he had some experience with this. Trust a man who says he can irk Death, and isn't dead yet.

"You're strong, intelligent and a hard-worker. You will be fine. Take each day as it comes."

Conrad stretches out his hand towards me, and carefully I took it in my own. He lifted me up from the chair and we walked towards the wooden doors.

"It's getting late and you should return home before your parents suspect something."

I nodded my head. They probably already do, but I had a feeling Thanatos would take care of that. I couldn't tell if I was relieved or furious by it- probably a bit of both.

Conrad's hand swiped across the air and a large, grey hole appeared from within a circling mass of air. It was a portal. Thanatos' portal was black and seemed more like an endless abyss into deep space. Conrad's was grey and much lighter; I stared at it for a few moments, just watching it take shape.

"This is your way back."

"Oh, good." I said nervously. Conrad chuckled at my skeptic remark.

"In exactly one week from now I will open this exact portal. Let's say at about eight in the morning in your room. Please be punctual." For the first time Conrad sounded like a mentor. I nodded my head and smiled at him from the side. "Of course. Thank you, for everything."

I stepped towards the portal, but stopped before my foot could go through the hovering mass. "Oh. I almost forgot- there was still one more question I wanted to ask."

Conrad lifted his chin, indicating for me to continue.

"Why does Thanatos treat me like this? Why is he so...awful?" I gingerly touched my broken lip with my index finger and turned my head to Conrad who stood like a rock behind me. 

The old man didn't need to think about his answer. Grimly he said;

"My dear, I've lived a long life and have seen many things. I have more knowledge on a wide array of subjects than anyone my age could ever dream of, but no one from the highest tops of Mount Olympus to the deepest pits of Tartarus knows how Death works."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

601K 17.4K 29
Book 1 of "The Addiction" series. Demons. War. Revenge. Dark pasts that have yet to unfold... Elena's life is turned upside down when she is kidnappe...
18.8K 1.6K 50
Where do you go after everything falls apart? Do you retreat to the life you hated or stumble forward into the unknown? After the Clan crumbles benea...
228K 12.2K 87
This is Book 2. Read Hades' Daughter before this one, if you haven't already. Scarlett's short time on earth has been eventful, to say the least, bu...
264K 14.6K 33
BOOK 4 'Tricks and Thorns, A Desert Storm...' A Sequel to the successful #DAWNseries Book 4 in the saga. Follow our favourite couple, the goddess of...