Dark Horse (Watty Awards 2013)

By DaughterOfAnonymous

Arthur and Merlin become separated at the Valley of the Fallen Kings. Merlin fears he may never see his King... More

1- Wary Hearts
3- Lover's Lament
4- Excalibur
5- Calm Before the Storm
6- Betrayal
7- Uncovering the Dead
8- A Voice in the Dark
9- Plea Upon Plea
10- Poor Sick Souls
11- Clouds Roll In
12- True Freedom

2- Merlin's Intuition

8.1K 309 191
By DaughterOfAnonymous

Merlin reached Morgana's castle at last. Relief swept over him, but sleep swept over him much faster. He slipped down from his horse and leaned against a tree trunk. Unbeknownst to him, the chestnut mare he had been riding began drifting away in search of good grass to eat. Merlin was too immersed in sleep to hear the alarmed whinnying of the horse.

<><><><>

Arthur awoke to the sound of birds chirping and sunlight pouring into the room. He sat up, alarmed, but then remembered where he was and what had happened. He had fallen asleep thinking over Morgana's request, and still didn't know what he was going to do. He sleepily rubbed his eyes and climbed out of bed, sauntering over to the window and looking out at the mountainous view. For a reason he couldn't explain, Arthur wished Merlin was here. He couldn't understand why he didn't miss his queen half as much.

Eventually he left his chambers and found his way to the dining hall, and saw Morgana sitting at the table, a feast spread before her.

"Arthur!" she exclaimed happily. "I was just about to send for you. Come and eat!"

Arthur suddenly became very wary of her, but complied. He sat at the opposite end of the table across from Morgana. He didn't realize how hungry he was until he began to eat.

Morgana smiled at her brother. "You look refreshed," she commented.

"I feel refreshed," Arthur said between bites. "I never thought I would say this, but, thank you, Morgana."

The high priestess' eyes welled with tears. "You're welcome, Arthur," she said, and Arthur could tell she meant it.

Just then Odin entered the room and bowed. "We found a chestnut mare wandering on the surrounding hills."

Morgana glared at him. "You interrupted my wonderful breakfast with my brother just to tell me that!?"

"The horse was saddled," Odin clarified. "Which means, it had a rider."

Morgana's eyes widened with realization. "Find this rider, and don't come back till you've found something."

Odin bowed, then left. Arthur, who had been staring at the man the entire time, fixed his gaze once again on Morgana. "Is he your servant?" he asked, pointing to the door with an apple core.

Morgana shrugged. "He's...shall we say, pledged his allegiance to me," she replied.

"Ah," Arthur said with a nod. He continued eating.

Morgana smiled. It was good to see her brother again, and she was glad there was finally peace between them.

Arthur cast his eyes up from his plate to Morgana. His heart told him this was some sort of plan, but a part of him wanted to believe Morgana had put aside her wicked ways. He swallowed the last of his food and cleared his throat.

"How do I know I can trust you?" he asked.

Morgana looked up from her plate. "I understand your need for proof, and you will have it," she said, adding, "In due time."

"Why not now?"

"These things always take time, Arthur," Morgana cooed. "Haven't you learned that, being King?"

Arthur looked down at his plate and nodded. "It's difficult to determine who's loyal and who's not." His eyes went back to his sister, and he inwardly hoped she wasn't plotting his downfall.

~~~

Odin sent out scouts to cover each direction, and he himself rode out to where the horse had been found. He dismounted and walked around the area, searching for clues. His eyes fell upon a small depression in the ground at the base of a tree. It appeared as of someone had laid there.

"Looking for me?" a voice said behind him.

Odin whirled around and saw an elderly man in a red robe standing there. "Yes, I believe so," Odin replied. He drew his sword and walked slowly toward the man. "Now, you can come the easy way or the hard way...which will it be?"

Merlin involuntarily took a step back. "What could the Lady Morgana possibly want with an old man like me?" he asked, putting special emphasis on the last word.

Odin laughed and shook his head. "Nah, your tactics won't work on me, old man. I'm not a fool."

"Not tactics, man," Merlin replied. "I call it...intuition." He held his hands outward and his eyes flashed gold, sending Odin flying backwards. Merlin then proceeded to the castle, praying Arthur was alright.

~~~

Arthur and Morgana linked arms as they strolled through the courtyard.

"You know, this place isn't too bad," Arthur commented.

"It's nothing compared to Camelot, though," Morgana said quietly.

Arthur could tell what she was hinting at, and said, "Speaking of Camelot, I've made my decision."

Morgana stopped walking and gripped Arthur's arms. "Well?"

Arthur took a deep breath. "You may visit Camelot, but I won't let you stay in its walls."

Morgana sighed in defeat and hung her head. "Very well," she said, trying to keep the tears in. She looked back up at her brother. "I'll visit one week from today. Come now, you need provisions for the trip home."

She led Arthur to a stable, where a horse was already saddled and waiting for him. He turned to his sister and said, "Thank you, Morgana. Until we meet again." Arthur hugged her and mounted.

"See you in one week!" Morgana said cheerfully. She waved as Arthur galloped away.

~~~

Merlin had just reached the castle doors when he heard a horse's hooves echoing on the cobblestone. He quickly dove into a bush just as the rider passed. He breathed a sigh of relief and stealthily made his way inside to the throne room.

Morgana sat upon her throne and stared at Odin, who was bowing before her. "Well, what do you have to say for yourself?" she asked in a harsh tone.

Odin sighed. "I failed you, my lady," he said softly.

"Failed is an understatement, my dear Odin," Morgana spat. "Your bandits were supposed to eliminate them, not flee like scared girls because of a few rocks falling."

"It won't happen again, my lady," Odin replied.

"It better not," Morgana said, rising from her throne. "Because if it does, I will make your life a living Hell."

"As if it isn't already," Odin muttered under his breath, which earned him a strike on the cheek.

"I'll make you wish you had never been born, should you fail me again," the High Priestess threatened.

Odin bowed again and left. Morgana sat back on her throne, completely oblivious to the clay pot hovering over her head.

Once Merlin succeeded knocking Morgana unconscious, he began searching the castle for Arthur.

~~~

Arthur was never more happy to see Camelot. As he approached the city gates at nightfall, cries of, "It's the King!" and, "Quick, open the gate!" and the like echoed through the citadel. Sirs Leon, Gwaine and Percival ran up to their King as he dismounted.

"Arthur! You're alright!" Leon exclaimed.

"We were so worried when we couldn't find you," Percival added.

"Merlin's not with you?" Gwaine asked.

Arthur stared at his knights. "I was about to ask you the same thing. Didn't he return to Camelot?" When they didn't answer right away, Arthur said, a little more harshly than he intended, "Did he or didn't he!?"

Sir Leon glanced at Gwaine and Percival before answering. "He did come back, but went out on his own to search for you."

Arthur threw up his hands. "Of course he did. Get some rest, we ride at dawn." He turned to leave, but Sir Leon's next words stopped him in his tracks.

"I don't think that would be wise, Sire."

Arthur abruptly faced his knights. "I'm not going to leave him wandering by himself. Who knows what kind of trouble that idiot could've gotten himself into." Arthur could tell by the looks on his knights' faces that they knew that wasn't his actual reason, but Arthur felt the need to make an excuse.

"With all due respect," Percival interjected, "it would be easier for Merlin if you stayed. What if he were to come back to Camelot while we were out searching for him?"

Arthur sighed. "I understand your concern, but we need to take the risk." He began walking up the marble stairs to the castle, and muttered, "Now, to break the news to Guinevere."

~~~

"You're letting Morgana come to Camelot!?"

Arthur sighed and slid a hand across his face. "Look, I know you feel; I felt the same way, but-"

"Arthur have you forgotten what she's done the past few years?" Gwen asked her husband. "She's asking for trouble and you're letting her have it!"

"Guinevere-"

"For all we know she could have Merlin!" Gwen interrupted. "Haven't you ever thought of that!? She's setting you up, Arthur!"

"Guinevere!" Arthur said more firmly. "Let me get a word in edgewise! I spent a lot of time with her and I watched her closely. I want to give her a chance to change, and if she doesn't, I'll make sure my knights and I are ready."

"Arthur, you're no match against her magic," Gwen said, in a gentler tone of voice. "She could take you apart with one blow!"

"Then why didn't she before?" Arthur retorted. "She's had plenty of opportunities. No, Gwen, something tells me she's ready for a change. And so am I." With that he left their chambers.

Gwen sat down on the bed and sighed. She wanted to believe Morgana meant peace, but her instincts told her it was a sinister plan. She left the room and found Sir Leon in the throne room.

"Sir Leon," she addressed.

The knight turn toward her. "Yes, my lady?"

Gwen sat on her throne and said, "Did Arthur inform you of Morgana's visit in a week?"

Leon nodded. "Yes, Your Highness."

Gwen took a deep breath and motioned for Sir Leon to stand on her left. He obeyed, then Gwen whispered, "There's an old sorcerer that may be able to help us should things get out of hand. I want you to go with a few other knights, find him, and-"

Gwen was interrupted when the throne room doors flew open and a hooded figure strode in. Gwen cast a worried glance to Sir Leon, who had a hand on his sword's hilt, concealed by his cape.

The figure came and stood in front of Gwen. She eyed the figure carefully, and struggled to hide her fear.

"Who are you?" she asked, keeping her voice as firm as possible.

The person didn't answer, but hurled themselves forward onto Sir Leon. Gwen scream in horror as Leon wrestled with the figure.

"Guards!" she shrieked. "Help!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17K 400 12
This is a fanfiction about Merlin. Arthur and merlin were just on a hunting trip when bandits kidnapped merlin. Arthur is devastated. He is willing t...
17.9K 896 19
Prince Merlin au. Very angsty but has a very fluffy ending! disclaimer i do not own any of these characters
75K 1.1K 30
This is a bunch of BBC Merlin one shots because I love Merlin and all his people. I don't do Merthur sorry. I do take suggestions and propmts! I DON...
57K 2.3K 10
This is the story of two men, a prince and a loyal man-servant, trying to find acceptance and happiness whilst holding onto their love for each other...