5- Calm Before the Storm

The following morning, Merlin went about his daily chores, only half thinking about what he was doing. When he was mucking out the stables, Gwaine led his horse in and began unsaddling it. He looked over at Merlin and asked, "You alright, Merlin? You have such a far away look in your eyes."

After a moment Merlin looked up at the knight, and looked as if he was having trouble comprehending the words. "Uh, no, I mean yes, I mean...what was the question?"

Gwaine chuckled, but his smile left as soon as it had come. "I know, I'm worried about Arthur too."

"Have you heard anything about Sir Leon?"

"He mysteriously showed up late last night. He said some dragon saved him."

Merlin furrowed his brows. "That's odd," he commented.

Gwaine nodded, hanging up his saddle and bridle. "Well, I'm hungry. I'll see you later, Merlin."

Merlin waited for the knight to leave, then left the stables, escaping the citadel through the secret tunnel.

<><><><>

Arthur had a grave made for Morgana, and he watched as Odin's men buried her.

"I thought I'd never be free from her tyranny," Odin said softly to Arthur. "Bur alas, now I must suffer yours."

Arthur shook his head. "No, Odin, you are free to go. I'll leave you alone if you extend the same courtesy."

Odin nodded. "It's a deal." He held out his hand, and Arthur shook it.

"You may take control of the castle, if you wish," Arthur said passively, motioning to Morgana's previous place of dwelling.

Odin smiled. "Thank you, Sire, I should like that very much." He snapped his fingers and began walking towards the castle, his men following close behind, leaving Arthur alone at his sister's grave.

"Oh, Morgana, Morgana," Arthur whispered. Tears stung his eyes. "What have I done? I caused your downfall, and for that I am so very sorry." He let the tears fall freely now.

Arthur kneeled in front of the grave and placed a few daisies on it. "What would Father say if he saw you now?" he asked. "I don't know if he'd blame me or you." He stared at her grave a while longer, then rose from the ground and walked back to the castle to retrieve his horse.

It was time to go home.

~~~

"O drakon, e mala soi ftengometh tesd'hup anankes! Erkheo."

Kilgarah landed his large claws smoothly onto the ground. "What is it, young warlock?"

"Take me to Arthur," Merlin demanded.

The Great Dragon laughed. "It would prove unecessary. King Arthur rides to Camelot as we speak."

"But I can't take it anymore!" Merlin exclaimed. "I need to see for myself that he's alright."

"You will, Merlin," Kilgharrah assured him. "But you must stay strong. Dark times are drawing near."

"As if I didn't know that already," Merlin mumbled. He said louder, "Can't you give any hint of what's to come?"

Kilgharrah sighed. "Arthur must restore balance by setting things right with the Dark Horse." With that he flew away.

Merlin looked down at the ground, unsure what the Great Dragon meant. "Why can't he just tell me straight off what I'd like to know? Why must his answers be so ambiguous?" he muttered.