The Stroke Of Coincidence

By KlaireBoyd

I wanted it so bad. Never had I ever wanted something as bad as that. Yet I was denied, he denied it. "I will... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Chapter 2

11 1 0
By KlaireBoyd

Hey everybody!

This is Dexter Green's perspective. I know it may seem very vague, all that I've written so far but trust me, it'll all add up later.

Enjoy this part and vote if you like it!

All the love.....

------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dexter POV

Matrimony

That was the only word I'd come to loathe. The problem lay here that the more I dispissed the word, the rest of the world seemed to like it more.

My parents were nagging me to find a wife and so was the world of suit & tie.

My parents told me that the world wouldn't take me seriously if I was single. A wife would assure them of stability. 

Although, my mother also said that she'd like a daughter-in-law to make it equal during family rendezvous. She said and I quote, "Oh you Green men. Both of you get on my nerves. A daughter-in-law would do me good. That'll be an even. We both show you how its done then." 

According to her, it was her way to subtlety put forward her want for a wife for me.

She wasn't such a house maker type mother at all, mind you. She could be the shrew businesswoman when needed. She just knew what part to play when.

Both my parents had made a name for themselves in the business world. I guess their skills just combined and amplified in me. 

They had started it all and made the Green group of Companies or GC as we call it. 

They got GC's name to a revered standard. It was I who had grown it into the global venture it is today. And the two of them never missed an opportunity to tell me how proud they were of me because of it.

All the hard work, late nights paid off.  All those holidays I spent coped up in my office and the endless business books and magazines I've read. It was a very serious up bringing I had decided for myself.

I sometimes wish I'd spent more time messing around with my friends who happened to inevitably be jocks. I was the cool guy, the straight As and the football captain kind of a person. Yet unlike the ones in the movies, I didn't waste time hooking up or chasing girls. Heck, I never even had a girlfriend.

I went to a private school specially made for the elite. 

If you want to achieve great things, you've got to learn from the best right?

Even though we weren't filthy rich back then, my parents wanted to give me the best education. They had let me choose the field I'd like to study in no impositions on me. They had given me my freedom and space to decide. I loved them.

Unlike the other super rich jocks, I took studies and all my extra-curricular activities seriously. Actually, I took it way to seriously. 

An advise to my teen self would probably be to enjoy a little. Graduating at top of my class was something though.

"Mr.Green." Celery said through the door. She worked pretty hard for a new intern. She assisted Clara my secretary. Celery was working to save for her college. She was tenacious. The kind that I admire.

I looked up at her.

"S-sir, May I take off for the weekend?" She stuttered.

Sometimes I think that girl is terrified by me. Otherwise why would she stutter? 

It was confusing to think of me as intimidating. In my defence I hardly ever glare at people. 

I simply nodded at her. 

With that done, she was gone.

Turning my head, I looked at my calendar. It was filled with red dots marking important meetings. I had to sign at that.

Yes, I was a busy man. Very busy indeed. I can't even remember the last time I took a day off and met my family. 

"On their deathbed nobody has ever wished they had spent more time at the office." That's a quote that leaves me haunted. I really need to think about what exactly I would wish for on my deathbed.

 I worked from Monday to Friday. Right from the break of dawn to the wee hours of the morning. If you do the math, that's hardly any sleep. 

Sometimes I was compelled to work during weekends. Holding meetings or going out of town to solve a business problem.

And let me be very frank to you, business travel is not awesome as it may seem. Despite having your own private jet and owning the hotel you stay in. It still sucks because its....

"Sir, a call from Mr.Lincoln. He says it is about the Sydney hotel deal. An unexpected glitch in the plan, according to him. He's asked me to get through to you ASAP." Clara spoke through the phone. 

That's my life. Unexpected glitches and mends.

"Hello, Mr.Lincoln. What's the matter now?" I didn't waste a second to respond. This deal was very important for us. It was our gateway into the Australian hospitality business. Statistics said there was a lot of potential there. A new venture in Australia would do GC good..........

"Hello, sir. They say that the contract is not properly formatted....."

Okay, that's sorted out. Turns out they misinterpreted the deed. My lawyers are always on cue to sort such problems. Thank goodness for that.

That's settled then. Where were we? Ah, me working during weekends....

So, coming back I hated working during weekends. Weekends was a special time for me. Especially since I spend that time with the children.

Those talented youngsters have so much of potential in them. Perhaps a little guidance and support would assure a decent future for them.

I have a passion for such kind of people. They might have some shortcomings but the will to achieve something is so very dire in them. Nothing can stop such people. 

That reminds me I'm taking them to the circus tomorrow. When I told them I've booked tickets for the circus, they were over the moon! 

They are so excited for tomorrow. I wouldn't miss the look on their faces for the world when we go to the circus. 

That means I won't keep anything pending for tomorrow even if that means I have to pull an all nighter.

My first rule in life is to never, I mean never to miss a day out with the children.

"The market just crashed!!" Kim shouted.

My head snapped up. What??

What did he mean the market crashed? That too on Friday at closing time? Yesterday it was going alright. Heck, it was at an all time high this morning, wasn't it?

Gosh, the stock market is crazier than....

"Sir, the market just crashed. Hansel is waiting for your instructions. He's talking about the take over of the Watson Shops. Says it is the best time now to close that deal." that was Clara. Curt yet precise as always. That's why I liked her.

"Get Mr. Hansel on call. Get me through to the Finanace department head, Mr.Murray. I want to arrange a meeting with him." I instructed back over the phone to Clara.

The entire office was in an uproar. I could sense the scuffle downstairs. Of course I couldn't hear them. My office was the only one on the floor. Besides I don't really know why but it was soundproof too. 

It was the finance department downstairs. It was their floor and being the financial hub of the company, they were directly in charge of this mess. 

Somehow I have been gifted with the ability to hire smart working people. Experts say that the success of a company depends on their employees. Thus a company with smart employees means a better future. At least that ability of mine has stood in good stead.

"Uh." Hansel cleared his throat. "I think that our asset valuation is down. This crash though is unexpected. I suggest you hold on to the assets...."

This got me out from my reverie. Like from dream world to reality.... All my employees are curt. No time needs to be wasted in small talk. He had called for.....

Oh yeah, the market crashed.. 

Wait a minute, what?

Market crashed?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

302K 25K 15
MY Creditor Side Story ပါ။ Parallel Universe သဘောမျိုးပြန်ပြီး Creation လုပ်ထားတာမို့ main story နဲ့ မသက်ဆိုင်ပဲ အရင် character ကို ရသအသစ် တစ်မျိုးနဲ...
452K 28.7K 38
She was going to marry with her love but just right before getting married(very end moment)she had no other choice and had to marry his childhood acq...
3.4M 143K 60
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...
2.6M 148K 43
"Stop trying to act like my fiancée because I don't give a damn about you!" His words echoed through the room breaking my remaining hopes - Alizeh (...