The King's Possession -- Book...

By HowlingJane

(COMPLETED) The second novel of the Underworld Series! Can be read separately. For a mature audience! ______ ... More

Opening
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Epilogue
The Story Continues

Chapter Eighteen

7.9K 344 18
By HowlingJane

        I stood by his side, the wind howling and kissing my skin as his words lingered in the air. My heart fell into the pit of my stomach, and a strange sensation of worry and concern washed over me. Kratos didn't speak, only looked off into the distance, the waves crashing onto the beach at our feet. His eyes were dark now, the deep blue haunting and lonely. A shiver when through my body then, the cold seeping in of the truth that teased the air, seeming to lure my thoughts from the depths of my mind.

        Off in the distance, I could see the mainland, along with the shadow of a smaller mountain. It's peak curved like that of a beak on a flacon or phoenix, pointed and sharp. Yet, even though it was shrouded in darkness, I could see the potential of something that was once there, or could be there once again.

         "What is that?" I asked, my feet carrying me into the water, the cool sensation calming my frantic heart. Kratos looked at me with a raised brow. I pointed to the mountain in the distance. "Just there. What is that place? I don't believe that I have ever seen it before." He rose a brow, only to lift his head and look in the direction that my finger was pointing towards. As his eyes landed on the peak, I could see the crystal start to glisten deep in the dark blue of his eyes, flashing recognition for the mountain. "What does it mean to you?" I whispered, turning to face him completely. His hands were by his side, his eyebrows slightly raised, and his lips parted as he took slow and even breaths.

       "That is where my Father raised me. That is where Marinas once had been, many cycles ago." Tilting my head to the side, I watched and waited for him to continue. But, when he turned away, closing his eyes for a brief moment -as if he was in pain- I could feel the knife in my heart at the sight of his pain. Taking a step towards him, I offered my hand, seeing him reach back towards me. He never looked at me, just kept his eyes closed.

         The wind then picked up, the sounds of the waves crashing lulling us into a state of peace and memory. I could understand his heartbreak, knew it far more than I wished that I did. But, the truth of the matter was that he was now my home. I accepted that, perhaps a long time ago, and I was just now accepting the truth of my future.

          My life's path had been changed into something that I had never intended for myself. Yet now, when I looked back at the potential of what could have been, I see nothing but darkness and fire.

         "What happened there?" I whispered, causing him to open his eyes and look at me. Raising a brow at me, I offered a soft smile, knowing fully well that I seemed more concerned than happy. Taking a breath, Kratos pulled me close. Wrapping our arms around each other, I could feel the heat of his skin, smell the salt that lingered in his hair, the natural musk that teased my nostrils with each breath that I took. Kratos didn't speak, only placed his chin on the top of my head, sighing into my hold.

          Resting my cheek on his chest, I simply listened as his heart skipped a beat for a few minutes, thumping softly and constantly. Time crawled by, the night teasing the air, and the falling stars that littered the air caused me to look into the distance. Something happened at that island, and I wished to know what it was. Perhaps it was enough for now that he had just taken me to the surface, shown me Him... and allowed me to spread my wings and fly for a little while. Kratos had seen the skills that my people had taught me over the course of teachings, and he had shown me that he was still a King that had been pampered and spoiled. So different, yet similar. I could see that -now more than ever- that we were one and the same. We came from different worlds entirely, yet we had one thing in common: we wished for our people to strive and live on.

          And now, his people were my people. Yet, even though I admit of what I feel for him, and wish to stand by him, why did I feel like there was something that was holding me back? The last thread that needed to be tied to complete the tapestry was still missing. And until I could see what that was, I feared that Kratos and his people would die. I feared that if he died, I would die with him.

_______

       I woke the next morning, wrapping in a blanket that smelt of Kratos and a pillow as soft as a spring's wind. But, as I moved in the bed, I realized that I was slowly swaying, laying in the hammock that hugged my body. My right eye refused to open, but the left looked around, allowing me to check my surroundings. For a moment, a fleeting moment, I felt as if everything had been a dream and I was in Mother Tree. But, the instant that my eye allowed me to see the city in the close distance, reality started to sink back into me. No, it wasn't a dream. It was all real.

        Rolling onto my back, I allowed my limbs to stretch and the bones in my body to make little pops. A sigh left me as I looked up at the ceiling, the coral chandelier hanging low, while the pearl like candles flickered softly to illuminate the room. Why was I in the hammock? Had I not been asleep with Kratos when we had left for bed? But, then again, he did seem very distant after he had told me of the island. Why had the war broke out there?

       A knock came to my door as my feet made contact with the ground, my stomach hurting from the lack of foot, and my eyes still fluttering from sleep leaving my body. Without making a sound, I looked up to see Anya poke her head inside, looking at the bed with a raised brow before she turned towards the hammock to see me. I stood naked, my hair covering my body, but I was still naked. This apparently shocked her as she closed the door quickly behind her, dashing towards me as she grabbed a robe.

        "My Lady!" She said with a frustrated groan. I rolled my eyes, wanting to tell her what I had always said about my 'title' but refused as my mind was not awake enough to allow me to speak. "You must be freezing, Vixas." Much better, Anya. "The King has requested you for breakfast," she said with a smile. "He wishes to spend some time with you before he has a council meeting this morning."

       Nodding my head, I allowed myself to walk over to the bed and sit, the brush in my hand as I ran it through my hair. Why did he move me to my chambers? I thought that I had gone to bed with him after making love, don't have the warmth like I do the next morning when I wake. Could I have been so exhausted from the swim back to the kingdom that I had dreamed all of it? I barley remember supper, or getting ready for bed. Did I even have a bath after returning?

       "Is everything alright, Vixas?" She asked, looking at me with a worried look. I shook my head, placing the brush in my lap. Come to think of it, my mind was extremely foggy and slightly pounding. Had I drunk wine the night before? Surly not... but I was feeling slightly groggy and not as awake as I would be once I had moved from the hammock.

        Looking up at her, I could see the concern in her eyes.

        "When did I come to my bedchambers?" I asked, looking at her with a slightly confused expression. What happened?

         "Late last night, after you had downed two bottles of wine." She whispered, looking down at her knotted hands. "I helped you into bed, but you refused and said that you didn't want to sleep in the bed, but the hammock. Once you stripped your clothes, I helped you in and covered you with a blanket. But it wasn't the one you wanted, so I searched around until I found something from the King's chambers. You cried yourself to sleep, and I held your hand the entire time." I blinked a few times not understanding. But, as she spoke, I could slightly remember the events.

          "What caused me to become drunk?" I know that I can hold my liquor, but I've never stooped so low as to get drunk to the point of not being able to remember or hide my feelings when it was needed. What had I done to cause this? Anya then gave me the glass of water that she had held in her hands, which I was now noticing. I took it from her with a small smile, bringing the cool and calming water to my lips. I could feel my body go from a dry desert, to an oasis. The entire goblet was empty before she could speak. Nodding my thanks to her, I held it between my hands, crossing my legs on the bed, getting comfortable.

         "I do not know." She said with a small shrug of her shoulder. "Something happened while you were eating supper last night, and you stormed out. We looked all over the castle for you, but finally found you outside in the gardens, the bottles beside you as you looked up and cried. It was horrible to see you like that..." Anya whispered, coming to sit down by me.

        I nodded my head, realizing that perhaps I had been overcome with emotions and had needed some time alone. Perhaps it was best if I kept away from the bottles for a while, allowing myself to be sober around Kratos and Anya, or anyone for that matter. I worried myself when I became drunk with wine or Ale. It was as if my teachings were the only thing that I would remember, for I would be a shell of a woman, a shell of the person that I was, and simply lock everyone out but my thoughts.

        "Perhaps it would be best if I hurry to breakfast?" I asked as I stood then, placing the cup down on the bedside table. "Food should help me remember, along with a conversation with Kratos." Anya smiled, standing up then. I smiled back at her, watching as she went to the wardrobe to fetch something for me to wear.

 _____

        The coral dress that I wore flowed around me, no sleeves, and synched in at the waist to keep me from looking far more large that my frame actually was. My hair had been pulled back into a braid that fell down m back, and for the first time in over four cycles, I felt like a warrior. But not a warrior for the Eenacks, but for a warrior for my life mate. He stood by me, protected me, cared for me, and now I would do the same.

       The guards opened the doors for the dinning hall, allowing the smell of roasted beast, fruits, and sweet breads waft into the air. I smiled as Kratos stood, his eyes large and watchful as I stepped in. Smiling up at him, I watched as his features went from concerned to relieved. What had happened last night?

         "Good Morning, Vixas." He said with a soft smile as I came to stand by him. I smiled up at him as he leaned down, giving my lips a soft and tender kiss. We sat down then, the maids coming in to give us wine and water for the morning. I shook my head when the wine was offered, seeming to give Kratos a smile. I returned it, placing a leg on my plate, along with bread and a few pieces of fruit.

         "You seem in high spirits this morning," Kratos said after a little while. We ate in a slightly awkward and comfortable silence, but I was not bothered. My stomach seemed to be a bottomless pit that could be filled, and I continued to eat while he watched me, drinking his wine while propped on his elbow.

       "It seems that I didn't eat much last night." I spoke as I finished another piece of Honey bread, which had been slathered in goat's butter. "Perhaps that is why I had become so drunk?" I asked, popping the piece into my mouth, saving the sweet and tangy flavor. His eyes widened at my words then, looking at me carefully, as if trying to sneak past a sleeping wolf.

        "You... remember last night?" He asked softly, placing his goblet down. I shrugged my shoulder slightly at that. "What do you remember?"

        "Being mad at something and storming away from here, only to end up drunk in the garden where Anya found me and helped me to bed. But I only remember that because she helped me this morning," I said with a shrug. Kratos then nodded his head at the words, seeming to be thinking of his next few words carefully. "Why do you seem like you are ready to jump out of your skin?" I asked with a raised brow, bringing the cup of water to my lips.

        I sat there then, watching as he held an inner battle of to speak the truth, or to not speak at all. The air became thick was concern and worry, and I held my breath as he reached down beside him, lifting up a golden necklace. The blue and green jewels sparkled in the candlelight, shimmering and twinkling as it moved slightly in his hand. Each jewel was wrapped in a golden ivy, keeping them inside, while looking like the vines of my homeland.

        "This is why you were so angry with me." He said, hanging it to me. I held it in my hands then, looking down at it was a raised brow, confused yet intrigued. He gave me a jeweled necklace...?

        The drunken fog lifted then, and I remembered.

        "You... gave that to me as a sign of payment." I whispered, slowly pushing my chair back. His eyes widened as he looked at me. "This... this was what you gave me... for our time in the bed chambers." Tears started to blur my vision as I looked down at him. "Why would you do that?"

        "It's not how it seems, I can promise you that." I shook my head at him, looking away.

        "As I recall, it is exactly as it seems. And just as last night, you will keep that damned necklace. I don't want anything to do with it." Shaking my head, I turned away from him as I placed it down on the table. My hands knotted into fists as I left the room, wishing to go for a walk. I needed space away from him.

         "Vixas, please." He begged as I turned away from him. I shook my head, wrapping my arms around my stomach, feeling cold and distant from my own body. Nothing felt right at the moment.

        "No... just, give me some time to think. I need to be away from you for a while." I whispered, never turning my head to look at him as he started to take steps towards me. But, the moment I spoke, I could hear him stop, feel him behind me as his hand reached out to touch me. Yet he didn't, only stood frozen as I walked away from him.

       Something inside me was reaching out in hopes that Kratos would call my name, drag me into his arms, kiss me, and tell me that I was an idiot and foolish for thinking that. But, he had tried the night before, yet I couldn't believe him. This was the same thing that Yokeen would have done, had done, for cycles. And now he does the same thing, paying me for sex... and I had been a fool to believe that he meant for me to be anything else but a slave. A sex slave. It just seemed that I would be paid for my time here as well.

       Perhaps he hadn't saved me from the Pleasure House, just transferred me to a different one, which was grand and under a crystal sea.

      Once I was out of the palace, I took the stairs to the town, several at a time. I needed air. But, the closer I got to the gates, the colder I became, and the harder it was for me to walk. A knife seemed to stab my heart then, piercing me to the point of stopping as my breath was taken from me. The air was trapped in my throat as my mouth opened, my hand coming over my heart, the pain as real as the palace behind me. My lower lip trembled as I stood there, toppled over in pain as tears rolled down my cheeks. It had been horrible last night, the pain, but it was nothing compared to this. It was as if something inside of me was being ripped in half, each side tugging twice as hard as the other.

        A strangled sob left me as I bent down, placing my head on my knees. Time seemed to stop as I sobbed, feeling the ripping start to subside slightly. And as it started to come back to a roaring rage, an old, tender hand touched my shoulder. The air left me as my head shot up quickly to the elderly woman that looked down at me, the gentleness in her eyes familiar and warm.

       Light grey eyes looked at me as she bent down, her body slightly shaking the cane that was in her free hand. I knew this woman... and she knew me.

       "Hello, child." She whispered with a soft smile, showing the few missing teeth that she held.

       "I know you," I replied, looking into her grey eyes. The elder woman simply nodded at me, helping me stand. Wincing at the pain in my chest, she allowed me to lean on her as I tried to stand on my own.

        "Do you hear them?" She asked as she looked up at me, a small smile on her wrinkled lips. I rose a brow, only to notice her pointing up. Following the direction of her finger, my eyes lifted upwards, up towards the top of the bubble that surrounded us. I watched as figures swam into my gaze, allowing me to see the Oracles as they danced, their tails flicking and gliding them through the cool water. My eyes widened as their soft song started to come to my attention. It was faint, but it seemed to echo around the kingdom, seeping through every nook and cranny of this kingdom. I could feel the song, its arms wrapping around me, while it pleaded to be heard. But by who?

       "Why do they sound so sad?" I whispered as I watched them move above us, only to start to fad away, along with the soft and sorrowful notes of their song. My body screamed for them to return, to come back to where I could hear them. Another part wanted to run to the area that allowed me to swim from the kingdom. Yet, the largest part of me made me stay and listen, the song echoing -not only around the kingdom- but in my mind. It wasn't like the one that I had heard before, the singing of our Mother, but one of death and mourning.

        "Because that is the souls of Kratos ancestors singing to you. They are connected to him, just as the Kingdom is connected to you." She said as she gave me a soft smile. "His Father, his Mother, even the sister that his family lost before he was born. They watch over us, watch over Him." Him?

        "The god that holds this kingdom?" she nodded, placing her hand on mine. The pain dulled in my chest, allowing me to stand up straight.

        "Care to walk an old woman to the temple to pray?" She asked me. I nodded once again, allowing her to take my arm, the cane in the other hand, helping her across the cobbled stone pathway. "There is much history to this kingdom, even though it is young and still learning to thrive. I remember the days when we were on the surface, the war had ended, and we had been gifted with the birth of a new prince." The elder woman smiled as she looked at me, her clothes ragged and worn, yet she held an elegance around her. "When Kratos was born, it seemed that our world of darkness was filled with light."

        "War? I do not recall ever being told of a war." I whispered, moving her onto the smooth pathway that lead through the gardens to the palace temple. It would be easier for her worn body to make the trip there. She shook in my hands, her entire body pushing herself just to make it another step. It worried me that she could collapse at any given moment. And for that very thought, I stayed alert, not allowing myself to focus on the dull ache in my chest.

         "Yes, there was a civil war. It wouldn't be in the history scrolls, for we weren't a kingdom at that point. I was a small girl, not even old enough to understand anything. But, I remember." I watched the smile as it crawled on her face, the grey eyes that seemed dull now sparkled with memory. "We were a band of rebels, thieves, rapists, and pirates. Outcasts, all of us. Unloved and not wanted by the world, we came together in darkness, yet found the light of the gods. The most wanted of us all, was Kratos father. He was the leader of a band of pirates and murderers. But, he was a good man. He killed the evil and gave to those that had nothing.

       "On one of his missions to kill a leader of an ancient race, he found his soul, Life Mate, other half. What do you call your partner in life with your people?" She asked, looking up at me.

      "Life Mate." I said. She nodded her head, happy with that.

      "Yes, that is correct. Now I remember." She tapped the side of her mind, giving me a cheeky smile. "This old mind of mine seems that like to have holes in what needs to be remembered." I smiled at that, slowing my pace as we strolled through the gardens. I could feel a set of eyes on me from above, and before I realized it, I was looking. Kratos stood on a balcony, the doors to his chambers open, the curtains flowing slightly. He must have recently moved outside then. His eyes widened as I looked at him, causing him to blink, only to give me a small, shy wave with his hand.

      The woman looked between the two of us, smiling slightly. I found the corner of my lips curling up slightly, only to stop quickly and look away. For a few moments, I had forgotten my disappointment, my anger. He seemed to notice my anger, yet he never left, only lifted the cup to his lips, looking out at the world, watching me. Always watching.

        "But, yes, the King's parents found one another, and wished for a life together. So, he brought her to the edge of the glass sea, and made her a promise. He promised to always love her, through good times and bad, to cherish and love her with his entire heart, and give her the world. Around that time, the kingdom had started to form, the town slowly being built. And soon, we found peace and prosperity. Then the war happened." She trailed off, nodding her head in sad memory.

        "Then what happened?" I asked, looking down at her as we stopped by a vine of lilies. She shook her head, reaching for a flower, lifting it to her nose to smell the sweet perfume.

        "Do you know why I love vine lilies so much?" She asked, plucking the flower from the vine, only to turn to me and motion for me to bend down. I did, becoming level with her eyes, as felt as she placed the stem into the braid of my hair, allowing it to stay in place. "They run wild, cannot be contained or tamed, yet they hold no danger. They have the potential to kill an entire forest, covering the trees, stealing the water that makes them grow, but they don't. They wrap around rocks, dead tree limbs, little mountain paths. They give life, but they don't take it away." She whispered as she placed another flower in my hair.

        "I don't understand," I whispered as she pulled my arm slightly, allowing us to resume our walk.

        "Perhaps you should tell me what your Life Mate has done to upset you? Then, and only then, when you speak your feelings, will I give you the answers that you seek."

        I let out a sigh as I nodded my head, allowing myself to recall the previous nights argument.

________

       Kratos and I walked hand in hand, moving towards the balcony after we had finished our super. He handed me a goblet of wine, and I leaned over the railing, looking out at the city. A smile was on my lips as I recalled the days events.

       "I love you," Kratos said as he wrapped his arms around my waist, kissing my neck. I smiled, leaning into his warmth. Everything in my body wished to say it back, but something just didn't feel right in the moment. "It frightens me sometimes when I think of my feelings for you. No other woman that I have met is as challenging, difficult, or stubborn. Yet, looking back on our short time together, I can see why you are the way that you are." He turned me in his arms then, placing our foreheads together.

        Setting my cup on the railing, I wrapped my arms around him, closing my eyes as the warmth spread over my body. Today had been perfect, and I had loved every moment of it. A smile spread on my lips as I felt him look at me, placing kisses on the tip of my nose every few minutes. Today had made me realize that I wished for a life with him, to always stand beside him. He had tried to see things from my perspective, had been patient with me, and now I was able to do the same. I wasn't as angry as I had once been. There was no need for me to be. Kratos understood my past, and we had both spoken about our pasts while eating super. I had grown to know so much about him.

         His favorite book was from his childhood, of a Pirate King and his Bride, sailing the seas for constant adventure. He had come to the throne early in his life, for his Father had died of the Black Death, along with his mother. Though he had no family alive, he still claimed that he was surrounded by his family. His Kingdom and his people's wellbeing were the only things that truly concerned him. Though he loves them, white lilies cause him to sneeze terribly during the spring, and for that reason they are not in the Kingdom. He taught himself how to swim, and yet he fears each time he goes in that water, that he will forget.

         "If we only have a day like this once a week, and the rest of the six days are filled with anger and fights, then it's worth the wait." I whispered, opening my eyes to look at him. "Because I have come to learn that everything that has happened in my life has prepared me for my time with you. Each bad day that we have had, every argument, it's all been worth it. And though I know we aren't as close as we could become, I believe that we are slowly getting there. And if it takes a lifetime to know you better than you know yourself, then each day is a challenge that I am willing to face. Because with you, I find the best in myself, when once I thought there was none." I whispered up at him.

       He looked at me with a smile, only to lean down and capture my lips. The warmth washed over me as we wrapped around the other like a vine, holding us close, and blocking everything else out.

       Standing there after some time, I looked down at the gardens, the cups empty, and the air filled with the promise of love making. Kratos stood by my side, seeming to be nervous, yet excited about something. Raising a brow, I looked at he played with the black box that had been given to him by a maid some minutes ago.

       "Will you tell me what is in the box?" I asked, turning towards him with a raised brow.

        "Not only that, but I will give it to you." He handed it to be then. "A gift to say thank you. You earned it." He said with a smile. I looked up at him in surprise. A... gift? I was never given a gift, not unless it was from Yokeen.

       Excitement bubbled inside of me as I looked down at the box, lifting the wooden lid, only to reach in and pull out a jewled necklace. Blue and green jewels twinkled in the late night light, twinkling slightly as it sway. Lifting it up to see it better, I looked from it to him, my heart skipped a beat from excitement, only to drop into my stomach. No... Please, no.

         "I... earned this?" I whispered, setting the box down. He smiled, nodding in agreement.

        "A token of my gratitude, for spending time with me." My eyes widened at the shock of his words. They were so similar to what Yokeen would say... yet so very different.

         "Gratitude...? You are gifting me with jewels because you slept with me?" I asked, looking at them closely, seeing the golden vines holding the large jewels. Please, please gods let him say no to this. If he says yes, then everything that I had thought would be a lie. And I cannot break again. Not again!

          "Well, not just that, no." He opened his mouth to speak, but I rose my hand to him, stopping him from saying another word. Burning hot tears filled my eyes as I looked down at it, my face unable to be seen from his height. He is giving me jewels as a reward for making love to him. For spending time with him. I've been paid for my time with him, just as if...

         "Just as if I was a sex slave, which has been given the privilege of bearing something other than cuffs." I growled out as I rose my head up, looking at him. Shaking my head in disbelief, I turned away from him.

        "I'm confussed. Do you not like the jewels? I chose the most expensive, the ones that I thought represented your being." My lower lip trembled as the sadness and anger bubbled inside me. "I can take them back and choose something else. Better than that, you can choose what you want. Anything at all, the price of it is nothing to worry over." He said with a calming voice. He thought that I was upset because of the price?

         "It doesn't concern me with how much coin you would get for this... this piece of jewelry." I turned towards him then, looking up at him completely. Instead of a smile that had once been on his face, he now looked at me in fear and confussion. My face was blank of any emotion, though I seethed rage. I knew how terrifying I looked at this moment, for this is how I had looked when in battle. I had scared many men, grown men. And Kratos was no exception. "What concerns me is that you think I would need any other jewelry when I already have cufflinks and anklets." Placing the damned object on the railing, I shook my head, keeping calm and collected.

       Bowing before him, I did my best curtsy. "Now, if you will excuse me, Master, I believe I shall retire for the night, unless you need a good fucking. In which case you can find me in my chambers." Pushing past him, I walked quickly out of the ballroom, only to turn the corner and look for the wine celler. He would not be like Yokeen, and I would not stand to be a paid whore any longer.  I had been forced into it once, and not that I have control over who I am now, because I am a strong warrior, I will fight until my last breath is given.

        But to do that, I need wine.

______

        "You believed him to be like that of your old Master?" She asked, watching me. I shook my head after a few moments of thinking.

         "At first, I made the connection in my mind. We were always gifted with jewels when we had been successful at seducing a highborn man. In some rare cases, a woman. We could never turn away anyone, especially when they held many coins in their pockets. My mind jumped to the conclusion that he was paying me for..." I trailed off, the embarrassment and stupidity of the situation finally clicking in my mind.

        Taking a breath, I sighed, shaking my head.

         "I've made a complete fool of myself, yet I was able to speak the truth of what I feel." I whispered.

        "You aren't the first person to ever feel like this, child." I looked at her, standing up to start our walk once again. "And you must realize that your feelings have to be spoken. We are not scrolls, nor are we books. The thoughts that we have, they aren't written out for someone to read. You must speak them so they can be known. To keep something inside of you is destructive. It's what eventually killed the people of this city before it became a Kingdom. Thoughts are like an infection, they can fester and grow, become irritable and painful, and only when it is taken care of, or spoken, can it begin to heal. It may hurt at the time, but in the long run, it saves you from further scaring or pain."

        I nodded my head at her, smelling the sweet perfume of the garden as we slowly made our way out, the temple close to us. She gave me a soft smile, her eyes soft and full of understanding.

       "What happened to cause the Civil war?" I asked, looking down at her.

        She laughed, nodding her head. "I knew you would ask once you were given the chance again." I shrugged my shoulder, not knowing what to say, because it was completely true. "The towns were growing into one large city, and with the more people that consumed, the more that people started to realize that we needed a government of some sort, rules set in motion to keep peace around us. Some thought this to be a good thing, that it would help the Kingdom grow and prosper. But, many others didn't like the thought. And when the government failed without someone to represent, the people chose the one man that could keep those around him calm."

       "Kratos' father?" I asked. She nodded, patting my arm that held her hand in the nook.

       "King Naru, the first of his name. A good man, a just king, and a direct link with the gods. When war started to break out after he had been crowned by the people, he prayed to the gods, prayed that war would bring peace and prosperity. That night, the great god of the sea rose from the dead, along with the guardians that give us life, air, protection." She motioned to the giants made of stone around us. "The war took several months to fade out, and most did not agree with what had been given, but those that did, left and we have been here since. When the queen died, half of the god's soul was taken away, placing him in a deep slumber. When He sunk, we went with him, trapped in a bubble that kept us safe, but kept us from the surface.

        "But, when you two were one, he woke for a moment, and the cycle could start again. Without the constant flow of motion, it breaks. But you knew that." I nodded.

        "And if the cycle doesn't continue to flow, then death settles in its place." She gave me a sad smile, nodding her head once again. We started moving up the stairs, her hand holding onto me, body shaking, though she seemed full of life.

       "Be the vine lily, bring life to that which is dead. The Oracles sing their song to you, because you are what this Kingdom needs to thrive. Grow and spread across the lands, bring your people here, make them our people, and we yours. There are many cultural differences, but we are all the same, all under one sky, moon, and stars. Though we may be in eternal night, we have the bright shinning stars to light our way."

        Opening the door for her, I could see the life in her blossom and grow. She turned towards me then, a smile on her face.

       "Do you hear them?" She asked me, looking up at the sea. I looked with her, though I saw nothing, yet heard the joyful sigh leave her, along with the faint song of the Oracles. I shook my head, looking back towards her, only to see her fading away, just like my Father had. My eyes widened, my feet stepping forward, but when I did, I felt a piece of wood under my foot. "We sing to express ourselves. Don't let your song dim, child. Grow, and be untamed and wild." And with those few words, she disappeared into the mist of dust, floating up to the sky, while some moved to the inside of the temple, sinking into the bubbling pool in the middle.

        A tear rolled down my cheek as I whispered a goodbye, only to feel another tear roll down my cheek when I saw the branch of my Father. Bending to pick it up, I went met with a feeling of hope and a lost mind, wondering feet. He wasn't connected with Mother Tree, just like my people were not connected.

       Turning to look up at the palace, I could see the doors open to Kratos chambers, but there was no light. Looking around, I looked for any sign that he would be around me. And when I didn't find him, panic started to settle inside. Fix what you've broken, and complete the cycle.

      Without another thought, I ran towards the palace, the thought of Kratos keeping me pushing forward. I took the steps several at a time, the skirt of my dress riding up my legs, the branch tightly held in my hand. Looking around the hallways, I looked into chambers, the throne room, the library, anywhere that I could think that he would be. But he was nowhere to be found. Each room that I turned to held nothing that could have been his presence, and his scent was not in any of them. And when I ran to his bed chambers, I could see that my thoughts for him not being there were true. He was nowhere to be found. And with that thought, I felt the knife slowly sink into my heart.

        Swallowing the lump that was formed in my throat, I shook my head as tears started to threaten to blur my vision.

       Walking back to my chambers, I looked down at the branch, along with the cuffs on my wrists. I had to choose between two very different things, but they were so similar.

       Choose and know.

       I opened the door of my chambers, only to see Kratos as he stood by the hammock, his fingers running over the pillow and blanket. My eyes widened as I saw him standing there, his gaze confused and nervous. Placing the branch down on the bed, I looked to him, my chest rising and falling quickly, sweat on my chest and forehead.

       "We need to discuss something." I whispered, moving towards him. My face was void of emotion, but my mouth was open to allow myself to breath. My heart was pounding in my chest, the blood rushing in my ears.

       Turning his body towards me, his brow wrinkled in confusion. I stopped walking, standing an arms reach away from him. The warmth was there, along with the dull ache of the knife lifting from my heart. I could fix what I had broken.

       "What do we need to discuss?"

        "Everything. Starting with the truth of my feelings... my feelings on these." I whispered before lifting up my wrists to show the cuffs. He looked from them to me, his eyes slightly glassy, as if he had been crying. The room spun around us, filled with the scent of natural musk and salt, with the slight tang of wine. But, even though things were shifting in front of me, I felt more sure and secure with my decision now.

        "Then, let's talk." He relied, his face serious. I nodded, ready to be the open book that I had never been before.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 65.4K 50
~Book One Of The Sold To Series~ *UNEDITED* Sneak peek.......... "Yes, he's my son, please don't hurt him I'll do anything" he begged. Does my dad fi...
108K 3.7K 47
"Oh, so you're part of this kidnapping posse too? I am not a possession! I have a life that I was abruptly plucked out of without my input all becaus...
1.3K 60 59
HER It's been over a year since my first taste of blood, since I've learned what it means to truly evolve in order to survive. I'm not proud of what...
231 35 28
I woke to a sudden breeze invading the warmth from the heavy blanket that caressed my skin. Here, alone with my thoughts, the still, calm quiet in th...