How To Save You

By Jinxjinx

"Number One, I don't care how hot you've gotten over these past seven years; I'm not going to fall for you, n... More

How To Save You
Step One: You Get Warned To Stay Away
Step Two: You Piss Her Off
Step Three: You Back Her Up Into A Honda
Step Four: You Bring Her Home
Step Five: You Bring Her A Gift
Step Six: You Get Seduced
Step Eight: You Avoid A Bitch Fight
Step Nine: Three AM phone-calls
Step Ten: You Have A Fight
Step Eleven: Riddle Within A Mystery
Step Twelve: You Sit With The Mean Kids
Step Thirteen: You Get Advice
Step Fourteen: You Bring in The Romance
Step Fifteen: Two Tough Women
Step Sixteen: You Get Angry
Step Seventeen: You Go To Her House
Step Eighteen: Meet My Mom
Step Nineteen: An Unexpected Romance
Step Twenty: Since I Was Ten
Step Twenty-One: Love Over Lust
Step Twenty-Two: You Leave An Embarrassing Voicemail
Step Twenty-Three: You Start To Lose Yourself
Step Twenty-Four: They'll Break Our Heart
Step Twenty-Five: You Have An Epiphany
Step Twenty-Six: You Give It Up For Her
Step Twenty-Seven: The Only Coherent Thought
Step Twenty-Eight: Stop Being A Coward
Step Twenty-Nine: Clear Signs
Step Thirty: You Understand
Step Thirty-One: Anne Walker
Step Thirty-Two: Sunday

Step Seven: You Play Truth Or Dare

8.8K 297 23
By Jinxjinx

I was picking up some groceries for Brandi- trying to do a good deed per day in hopes of somehow, someday being nice enough for Adri. At least I was hot enough, I comforted myself, letting my hand sweep through my messy golden hair. I kicked open my door and left the car.

I reread the shopping list and ambled through the cold grocery store. I stopped to pick up two bottles of skimmed milk and then grabbed some chocolate from the racks (a guy had to treat himself some time)... I was making my way through the shop to grab some cereal when I saw a girl, with a sloppy brunette bun.

I walked over and tapped her lightly on the shoulder, unable to contain myself. A sullen expression greeted me as she swiveled round, her big blue eyes narrowed. She was wearing a baggy woolen brown sweater- slightly too hot for September.

"You don't look sick," I said, scanning her pretty pink cheeks and bright (although glaring) eyes.

"And you look like you belong in a zoo," she shot back, claws at the ready.

I brushed off her comment, my self-esteem fully intact. I knew she was lying- the mirror told me otherwise every day. Adri crossed her arms, finely plucked brows drawing together in irritation. I realized with glee I was blocking her way and she was too proud to ask me to move nicely.

"You didn't mention your former popularity," I said.

Her eyes narrowed and she put a hand on her hip, "it's none of your business, Elijah."

I ignored her, "I can't help but wonder what happened."

"I realized they were immature idiots," she responded with blinking.

The comment crept under my skin. I was part of those so-called idiots. It irked me that just because someone was popular it had to mean they were dumb, vindictive, slutty, mean, fake, or vapid. Perhaps they were popular because they were likable and it was just as unfair to classify a guy with glasses as a geek as it was to classify a cheerleader as a shallow, mean girl.

"You didn't think so when they were your friends," I said lamely.

"I got my douche-ray vision on."

I sighed slightly and she looked a little surprised as if she thought she could truly offend me with a comment like that.

"What?" She asked.

I shook my head and pushed my cart away from her, not in the mood to talk to her. To my utter shock I found that she started to trail me, her feet dragging behind her and she sent a constant stream of demands to tell me why I was annoyed.

I finally turned round after I finished my list of shopping items and I'd reached the cashiers, "they're my friends, Adri. I don't know about you, but when someone calls me and my friends a bunch of immature idiots purely for the fact that they're popular- I don't want to hang out with them."

Her mouth fell open, shoeing me her tonsils. Yes, it was shocking but Elijah Singer did have some loyalty over his friends. Naomi (other than the seduction incident) had been a genuinely cool friend to me- she let me copy her algebra homework. Carl was always my right hand guy and Adri was just insulting them and it bothered me.

I paid and ignored the way the teenage girl drooled over me. I was walking to my car when Adri sprung in front of me, holding a modest bag of shopping between her fingers.

"I'm sorry! It's just I don't talk to people a lot nowadays and... I'm just sorry, okay?" She said in one long breath, chewing her lip anxiously.

She looked so cute I couldn't be mad at her any longer. I placed a tentative arm over her shoulders, and to my surprise she rested her forehead against my shoulder for a very brief second.

"It's fine," I said and we broke apart.

To my surprise she didn't immediately stalk off back to her secret little world, instead she looked at me and stayed. I curled my lips into an unconscious smile and she returned it, a little shakily but a smile nonetheless.

"Want to go for a walk?" I suggested.

She shrugged which I took as a very gleeful yes and I dumped my groceries in the back seat. I locked the car again and we started to amble slowly in the direction of the park. I didn't know what to say; she had actually rendered me speechless. Wow. That was so cool... I hadn't been able to shut up for about three years and now Adri had silenced me by just agreeing to hang out.

"So wanna play truth or dare?" I asked her because the silence was getting on the verge of being awkward.

She rolled her eyes, "no."

"Are you a chicken?" I teased her, bumping my hip with hers.

She scowled at me and let her fingers tease her messy brown hair. Then she nodded, a short firm jerk of her head and I let out a devious laugh.

"Dare," she answered before I could even attempt to ask.

"Go flirt with that guy," I pointed at a random man feeding the ducks.

Adri shrugged. I expected her to recoil and blush but instead she seemed utterly unfazed. How strange this girl was. I saw her eyes roam over the guy and suddenly I felt a little nervous. The dude was like thirty- she couldn't actually think he was hot right? I was so much better looking!

He turned around, showing us his messy hair and shaggy beard. He was wearing disgusting hipster glasses as well and I snorted in contempt. No one could take a dude like that seriously... Right?

"Hey handsome," Adri winked.

She transformed in front of me. Her stance became playful, a cheeky smile playing across her lips, a seductive light burning in her eyes. The guy was taken aback and very happy- a large grin spread across his face as he flexed visibly in front of us. Ugh, so tacky. I mimed vomiting but they both ignored me! Ignored me! I was Elijah freaking Singer and they were acting as if I were thin air.

"Hey pretty lady," he replied.

Adri giggled and my jaw dropped. This guy sounded like an eighties rapist and she was giggling and twirling her hair!

"You're so funny," she said, lightly punching his arm and visibly glowing.

Eww! No! No! No! This was not okay!

I had to do something. So I cleared my throat needlessly loudly and waggled my eyebrows at Adri. The guy turned to me, scowling. Of course he was scowling: it wasn't often that a girl like Adri started to flirt with you.

"Is this your brother?" He asked gruffly.

"Actually deviant sexual lover," I said before she could answer, and then grabbed her.

She squealed as I swung her into my arms, carrying her like a little baby. She was remarkably light and she slapped my shoulder, her cheeks bright red. The dude called after her but we had already forgotten him.

***

"I dare you to jump into that fountain," Adri grinned wickedly.

The day was cool and the water sloshed around murkily, not exactly an inviting sight. However I squared up my shoulders, and started to peel off my shirt. It was a good shirt, ok? And I also wanted to show Adri the well defined six pack she was missing... I saw her eyes graze over my v-lines and an almost impressed look sparked into her eyes. Yes! There was still hope!

I threw it at her, laughing, "keep your looks pg, miss. Walker!"

I then, without a regret, leapt into the fountain. The water hit me like an ice sheet, the greenish liquid sliding over me and embracing me into a dark layer of yuck. I dove straight out again, shuddering and flicking off some of the algae which had latched onto my shoulder. My teeth were chattering like crazy and I saw a cop bearing down.

"THAT IS FORBIDDEN, YOU YOUNG VANDAL!" He shrieked, making all the other park inhabitants stare at us.

Adri was curled over laughing. I shook my head at her, and snatched her hand. We raced out of the park, trying to stop laughing as we were chased by the obese cop (who was still holding his freaking donut).

Eventually we collapsed against my car and we caught our breaths, panting slightly and then cracking up as our eyes connected once more.

"Truth or dare?" She asked.

"Truth," I said softly, the smile fading from my lips.

"Are you going to give up on me like everybody else did?"

"Never."

She was silent. Observing m for the longest time. I tried to keep our eye contact but damn it, she was like a cat. The look in her eyes was so private I felt naked in front of her and I didn't know what to do so I awkwardly shrugged, with a smile on my face.

"Truth or dare?" I echoed her.

"Truth."

There were so many questions I was dying to ask, but nothing seemed to fit. So I cleared my throat and asked the only one which seemed appropriate.

"Do you want me to stop trying?"

She looked so surprised. I had cracked a brick in her huge wall, and I saw inside. Her eyes were filled with a desperation, pleas of help silenced and held under gunfire. Her fists were clenched into two tight little fists, her body hunched together as if she was only held together by a thin piece of strong. This beautiful girl was falling apart from the inside out- she needed to be saved only I didn't know if I was too late.

"A part of me does," she whispered in a broken voice.

"I'm not going to let us give up," I murmured back, stepping forward and looking at her oceanic blue eyes.

She smiled, her hand pressed against my chest. We remained still for a moment and of course, she was still to break away. I watched her leave, but this time I had a flicker of hope in my heart. And I couldn't wait to see her again.

***

sorry for the late update. I hope you like it and remember a comment and a vote make my day!!

Thank you so much for reading! xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

301K 11.2K 70
This story talks about a high school girl who's fat but beautiful. Everyone makes fun of her. Her dad's died when she was still in middle school, fro...
118 21 19
Bella Rose tries to get through highschool and become one of the popular girls, but along the line, she makes a big mistake causing her to become ene...
28.2K 960 28
Complete! "You know I really like you, right?" He was definitely drunk. "You do?" I asked. My voice was supposed to be teasing, but I think it ca...
2.1K 415 36
when emma goes to her uncle's place to live with him until her high school gets over she thought she could live a life without any fear and nobody t...