Yours To Keep [Completed]

By Alexa_Rayne

River Williams , the Quarterback of Haldenbridge University has everything his heart desires. He's the lone a... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Heart Break
Chapter 2: The Last Goodbye
Chapter 3: A New Beginning
Chapter 4: The Warmth of Friendship
Chapter 5: The Invitation
Chapter 6: When The Heart Burns
Chapter 7: The First Stirring Of Desire
Chapter 8: The Kiss of a Dream
Chapter 10: A Memory of the Past
Chapter 11: Jealousy All Around
Chapter 12: A Step Further
Chapter 13: Without Further Ado
Chapter 14: If Not You, Then Nobody Else
Chapter 15: One With You
Chapter 16: Insatiable
Chapter 17: You Flirt With Me, I flirt Back
Chapter 18: You Wanted The Truth, There You Have It
Chapter 19: I Love You. Today, Tomorrow, Forever
Chapter 20: Where The Heart Lies
Chapter 21: In Celebration Of Us
Chapter 22: The Beginning Of Forever
Epilogue: Making Dreams Come True
Bonus: A Day Of Miracle

Chapter 9: All Mine, Only Mine

97.2K 2.6K 1.3K
By Alexa_Rayne

Serena was left in bewilderment of what had transcended just mere seconds ago. Bringing her hand to her mouth, Serena grazed her heated, swollen lips with her fingers, running along them in a dazed state. My first kiss! There was no helping how clueless Serena felt right this moment. Every emotions that were spiralling within her felt strange and unfamiliar. Never had she felt such a stringent pull towards a guy before. Never had she had the urge to spend her every waking moment with someone —  with River. Never had she imagined that she would be so utterly affected by River. Never had she thought that River would kiss her and more importantly, that she would return the gesture. For someone whom had never been kissed before, Serena felt embarrassed how impulsive her behaviours were, giving into temptations and following River's lead. She had no idea what was going on or what she was doing, all she knew was that it felt right like home should feel. And for that, there was no regret.

Snapping out of her trance, Serena shook her head and took a couple of breaths before getting back to work.

All the while, Serena tried pushing River to the backburner of her mind but alas a small fire within her mind and body was still ignited. She couldn't fully shake her thoughts from River. Her body reacted with fervor each time she recalled the kiss. She could still feel his soft lips on hers as he devoured her mouth with such passion that sent her hay-wired. She could still feel his hands lingering on her body, smoothing over her curves, tracing her figure.

Going about her shift, Serena kept glancing at the clock, counting down the minutes she had left until she would see River again. As excited as she was, a part of Serena was afraid that River might regret kissing her. She was scared of losing his friendship because she was not good enough. Did she deserve to be by his side? Did someone like River deserve to get stuck with someone like her — broken, unfit, and emotionally scarred.

The only thread piecing Serena together from breaking down in fear was River's affirmative promise to meet her afterwards. And Serena trusted River without so much as batting an eye. No doubt River was a man of his words and thus far, he had given her no reasons to not believe in him.

Minutes inched away, crawling at such a slow, painful agonizing pace that Serena jumped in relief when her shift ended. Grabbing her bag, Serena raced to exit the stores to where River stood, leaning against his car. Now that she was right in his presence, nerves got the better of Serena as heat flushed her skin and Serena had to gulp to moisten her rapidly drying throat. Their eyes locked to each other as soon as River noticed her approaching. The closer she got, the louder her heart pounded as she took note of how darker River's blue hues swirled. Oh boy, the things River does to me... Is it possible to induce a heart attack from the number of times my heart constricted in harmonious bliss?

No words were spoken when they stood face to face. Not that words were needed as River reached out and settled his hands on her waist. Dragging her closer to his body, River leaned over to rest his forehead on hers as they both simultaneously closed their eyes. The moment was lost on them as River slid his hands behind her back, causing her body to align against his while her hands rested on his broad chest. Silence cocooned them in a soothing standstill as they relished each other's embrace and replenished their energy in each other's presence.

After what seemed like minutes, River pulled back slightly enough to place a gentle kiss on her forehead, then tracing his lips to her nose, softly nudging it and then traveled down to her lips where he placed a quick and teasing peck.

"Come on," River spoke, regaining Serena's attention whom was lost from the gentleness that was River. Stepping out of his hold, Serena was already missing River's heat but regardless she proceeded to sit in the seat when River opened her door.

River, pumped about finally getting Serena all alone to himself, ran to the driver's seat, buckling himself and took off. He was not going to waste one more second being apart when all he wanted was to embrace Serena. But he knew he needed to calm down and lay everything out to Serena. Rushing things would only result in a failed attempt of a real and lasting relationship — much like one he shared with Lynn.

"I hope you're hungry," River inclined as he reached out, putting his right hand over Serena's knee, facing it up, wanting Serena to place her hand in his.

Biting her lips, Serena stared at River's hand as she tried to figure what it was that River wanted. Surely he wouldn't want me to ....would he? Despite the internal debate going in her mind, Serena did what her heart longed for. Reaching out, Serena hovered her trembling hand over his. Her heart pounded harshly as she brushed her fingers to the inside of his palm yet too scared to fully place her hand in his.

The moment River felt Serena's touch, his hand reacted instantly, jolting upwards and encompassing her soft hand in a tight hold. Interlacing their fingers, River chuckled upon hearing a small gasp escaping Serena and placed their entwined hands over his lap.

"I have everything ready. Lunch is taken care of," bringing her hand up, River pressed a firm kiss on the back of it. "Although there's something else I'd rather eat. But I guess I'll just have to make due with lunch for now," River grunted in a low-key manner, the deep huskiness of his voice, sending lethal doses of shockwaves that surged Serena's entire entity in stupor.

"Where are we going?" Serena croaked out brokenly from the lack of moisture in her throat, in attempt to divert to a different, much safer topic.

"Some place where there'll be no interruption," River smirked, throwing a quick glance at Serena. And where there'll be no escape.... Other than within my arms

"And where exactly is that?" Serena asked curiously.

"Now where would be the fun if I just tell you. Guess you'll have to wait and see for yourself," River chuckled as he drew slow circles on the back of her hand, comforting Serena. After all, he wouldn't want to frighten her, knowing very well that there was absolutely no way he would be able to resist touching her in any way, shape or form.

"Awww... Please River! Tell me," Serena softly pleaded but River just chuckled and kissed her hand.

"Can you at least tell me why we're here," Serena asked, getting out of the car when they've arrived to their supposed destination, only to receive a shake of River's head.

Puckering her lips into a pout, a wave of desire wrecked through River's body as a flair of arousal hit him and all he wanted to do was push her against the car and gobble her up, gorging on her plumb, enticing lips that trembled lightly.

F-ck. "Don't do that," River groaned, bringing his thumb to her mouth. River rubbed her bottom lip, smearing along the pink flesh, causing Serena's lips to part. Leaning in, River placed a haste kiss on her forehead and then grabbed her hand , leading her down the park they went to the first time after meeting each other. It was the place where it all started from the moment he had laid his head on her lap. Had gotten his first glimpse of peace.

Staggering to River's side, Serena basked in River's heat and slightly tightened her fingers around his hand that engulfed hers. It no longer mattered where they were going or what River wanted to tell her, so long as River was by her side, Serena didn't feel the need to fret in angst.

Recognition entered Serena's mind when they walked down the trail. Memories of the last time they came here rushed to her mind and a smile grew on her face. The only difference now was that she was hand in hand with River instead of just their shoulders grazing each other.

Arriving on top of the hill just like the last time, Serena saw a patterned blanket laid in the middle of the field along with a picnic basket. A smile grew on Serena's face as she sat down next to River on the blanket. "You know, there really is no need to do all of this but thank you, River."

"This is nowhere near enough. If only I had more time but for now I guess this had to suffice." River said sheepishly as he ran his hand through his locks. Taking out the contents of the basket, Serena shrieked in joy when River placed sushi rolls in front of her.

For the next half hour, River and Serena ate together peacefully, none of them daring to bring up what exactly had happened this morning. But even then, the tension still surrounded them until River excused himself, saying he left something in the car.

After what seemed like minutes, Serena stood up and was about to call River when her phone rang first. Quickly picking up the call after River's name popped on the screen , River's voice pulled through.

"Hey sweetheart, I need you to listen carefully."

Hearing River's deep voice caused Serena's heart to palpitate. A fluttering began in her stomach as her hands gripped the phone harder as though to stabilize her balance and composure.

"From the first time I met you, time for me had started to tick again  For someone whom had been going through a rough patch, you were the first girl in months that I could bear talking to  without getting furious. I didn't know why but being with you felt refreshing. I forgot about my pain and I could just be myself. Unknowingly, the more time I spent with you, the better I got. And so you became a friend to me. A really close friend whom I will forever be grateful to for healing me. I didn't think much of it but recently things have started to change. I thought being friends would be enough but seeing guys flirt with you unnerves me. Makes me jealous. And then the best thing happened to me last night... I dreamed of you. You were in my dreams, looking like a goddess and in that moment, I knew what it was that I've been missing in my life all this time."

Silence surrounded Serena when River paused. Goosebumps crawled on her arms as her breath hitched from the stretching stillness.

"You," River whispered  boldly against Serena's ear causing her to shudder in surprise, not expecting River to sneak his way behind her. Sliding his hands across her stomach and locking his fingers together, River pulled Serena into a back hug, pressing her back to his front. "You're what I've been missing all this time."

"And I can't hold back these feelings despite everything," River nuzzled into the curve of Serena's neck, deeply inhaling her intoxicating scent. "I not only want you, I need you sweetheart."

"River," Serena gasped softly, loving the feel of River's touch. She could feel the pounding of his heart against her back, causing her own heart to take a leap.

River groaned as he closed his eyes. "My name sounds so pleasing coming from you."  River swiped her hair to one side and placed a chaste kiss on her bare shoulder but it only seemed to aggravate the situation. Unable to hold back, River gently bit her shoulder, peppering a trail of fleeting, little kisses along her neck up and then nibbled on the area below her ear.

Hitting a soft spot, Serena moaned alluringly, causing the whirlpool of desire to surge through River. His body reacted to hers as though she was calling out to him like a siren.

Serena felt the hardness of his solid body, his heat at her back for a second too long before River grabbed her waist and spun her around.

"Before I lose my mind and forget, there's something I've been meaning to ask," River said as his lips hovered over Serena's lips, grazing each time he spoke.

"Hmmm"

"Will you be my girlfriend? Be all mine, only mine the same way I will be yours," River asked with urgency.

Shocked from what she just heard, Serena looked up into River's blue hues as though to confirm what he had just asked her. From the way River's eyes darkened, breathing heavily as he kept a strong hold on her, there was no mistaking it. River was dead serious.

Serena didn't know the meaning of what a relationship construe of. She never even had a proper relationship with her family. All her knowledge came from the romance novels she would indulge in but can that fiction translate into reality?

Havoc wrecked within Serena and panic arose to spear her in the back. "Are you sure?" Her voice came out as a trembling sob as she took a step back. "There's so much about me that you don't know. What if — "

"Do you feel that?" Lifting her hand to place it over his chest, River cut off Serena. "Do you feel how fast my heart is beating. This is what happens every time I look at you. Do you think this will ever fade?"

Serena's eyes started to burn upon feeling the vigorous vibration of River's heartbeats. She shook her head in response  to his question.

"Dwelling of what if's only complicates things." River softly exclaimed. "And there are stuff about me that you don't know as well. But we'll get to know each other better in good times until there will be no walls or secrets between us."

Despite the turmoil, she couldn't help but feel happiness spilling through her as she continued to stare deep into River's gaze. Serena found herself relieved when she hummed her approval. "Yes, I would love to be your girlfriend."

The moment River received his answer, he wasted no time to seal the deal with a feverish kiss on her mouth. Hands grasping each other, hearts in sync, River monopolized Serena as he dictated every turn of their heads, every tangle of their lips in a mating dance of their lips.

Serena shuddered under River's intensity, her legs quivering from the ongoing and relentless onslaught she'd been receiving today.

Pulling away, River release a satisfying sigh and rested his forehead on hers. "Remember how the last time we were here, you said you wanted to ride bikes down the trail?"

"yeah," Serena exhaled.

"Well what are we waiting for?" River stepped back to reveal a bicycle.

Looking between the bike and River, Serena was shocked to say the least that River remembered something as small as that. "But I can't. I don't know how since I've never ridden a bike before."

"I know which is why I'm going to teach you today," River smirked as he grabbed her hand and dragged her to the bike. "And from now on, we'll do everything you've never had the chance to do before."

Serena couldn't help the smile that tugged at her mouth. "Everything? Is that a promise?" The mere fact that River remembered the small things she shared about herself like her preference for sushi and not ever having ridden a bike before like other kids had, made her heart ache in the most glorious ways.

"Cross my heart," River drew a cross over his heart, his blue eyes reflecting his sincerity. "Starting with this."

And for the next hour, River guided Serena through the trail with his hands holding the back seat of the bike as Serena pedaled shakily until he no longer needed to support her.

Serena didn't even realize that River had removed his hand and was pedaling all on her own. "Okay, you can try letting go now River. I think I got it."

"Got what?" River sped until he was lightly jogging alongside Serena.

Edging her head in River's direction, Serena's eyes widened in disbelief and slightly swerved, causing River to jump in concern before she regained control of her balance. "River, you weren't suppose to let go."

"But you've been so well on your own for the last ten minutes," River chuckled as he observed her with pride. Gosh she is so beautiful and now all mine. My girlfriend. River's girlfriend.

"Well it's all thanks to you," Serena gave him a wide, grateful smile.

After a few more minutes, River gave Serena a ride back to the car with him pedaling while Serena was seated in front of him, River felt light-headed from having Serena so close to him, her scent lingering as he breathed her in and yet felt heavy-hearted as he didn't want to part from her just yet. He wanted to stay with her, wanted to attach himself to her side but he knew they needed to get back.

River drove Serena back and walked her down to her building. Serena felt nervous as her heart raced away while she clutched onto River's hand. She still couldn't believe that River had asked her out and even had a semi date, or so she would like to think so.

"So this is it," River's voice broke Serena from her thought as they came to a stop in front of the door to her dorm building.

"I guess so," Serena exhaled, feeling a bit nervous as looked up at River through her eyelashes. His hypnotizing gaze were locked on hers and Serena felt the hold on her hand tightened.

"I don't want to let you go," River grimaced and dragged her closer to his side. He wrapped one hand around her waist while the other were brought to her face as he caressed her blushing cheek. "I don't want to part just yet."

Serena felt the exact same way and brought her hand to brush against his jaw. She traced his strong featured jaw line and shivered upon feeling the light stubble that ghost across. "I know," Serena whispered. "I don't want you to go."

River closed his eyes in contentment as he enjoyed her slight brushing and heat that eased his every apprehension.  Sighing, River opened his eyes and leaned down, placing his lips on Serena's and kissed her slow and passionately, showing her how much he not only wanted her but cared for her as well. He wanted her to feel exactly how bad he needed her, how unwilling he was to let her go, how much it hurt to part from her. River had never felt so disoriented as his heart thumped painfully in his chest.

Serena paralleled River's every unhurried move, gliding her lips on his mouth, tasting him. Her hands were situated on River's shoulder where she held on tightly as though it was her only life line.

"What the?" A gasp coming from behind them broke through their lust haze and Serena froze on the spot, ceasing all her movement.

River could care less who had saw them but it irked him when Serena stiffened. He nipped her unmoving lips, trying to make her forget about the interruption , wanting her to ignore whoever it was and kiss him back once more.

"Serena?" The voice questioned. "River?"

When realization dawned on Serena upon the familiarity of the voice, Serena tore herself away from River, eliciting an irritated growl from him.

"Sh-t," River mumbled under his breath from the lost of Serena's warmth, squeezing his eyes shut for a brief moment. When he opened his eyes, River saw Justine staring at the two of them amusedly with a knowing smirk on her face. The teasing, 'I caught you naughty kids in the act' look in her eyes had Serena crimson red from being overheated and River groaning in displeasure.

"What do we have here," Justine reprimanded amusingly with a tsk. "I hope I didn't get in the way of anything."

"Well the door is right behind you," River grumbled, earning a small gasp followed by a nudge from Serena.

Justine only laughed with a shake of her head. "Sorry lover boy but your time's up. Now it's my turn so off you go." Justine wrapped her arm around Serena's shoulder while waving bye to River. Without further ado, Justine dragged Serena away with a sly glint in her eyes. 

River could only watch their retreating backs and chuckled when he heard Justine declare loudly. "Told you he's got the hots for you!"

"Justine!" Serena screeched.

Before leaving the building, River continued to eye Serena and caught her turning around and mouthed a goodbye to him with a blushing smile that caused his heart to skip a beat. The small gesture was enough to pacify his longing and need to get him through the rest of the day.

River drove home in peace all the while thinking back to Serena. He felt simply happy, something that River hadn't felt in quite some time. When he got home, River went in search of his parents and found them gardening in the back yard. His mom was planting a bunch of hybrid lilies while his dad doing the watering.

"Hey mom. Hey dad," River greeted, walking out to the yard.

"Welcome honey. Were you able to get done whatever it was that you had to do? Stacey asked her son.

"You did leave in quite a hurry this morning, son. You left without even having breakfast," George added.

"Yep. That's what I wanted to talk to you guys about?" River began nervously. "It's about Serena..."

River watched as his parents turned and looked at each other before facing back to him. "I asked her to be my girlfriend."

Silence filled the air and no one uttered a single sound as River gulped down, observing his parents who had an astonished look on their faces.

"About time," Stacey shrieked as she stood up, removing her gloves and pulled River into a hug. "We're really happy for you, honey."

River was in a state of surprise with his eyes as round as saucers. He didn't expect this reaction from his parents, considering their appalled faces when they got news that he and Lynn were going out. His parents especially his mom had been horrified, though she had said nothing, River knew his parents didn't and never approved of Lynn.

"Yes son. Serena is quite the young lady. She's exactly like the daughter I imagined to have," George smiled proudly at River. "You chose well, son," thumping River on his back.

"Thanks," River grinned widely, hugging his mom back.

"You should invite Serena over for dinner tomorrow," Stacey said excitedly upon pulling away. "What are her favourite dishes? I'll make them all. I'll have to go grocery shopping first to get some fresh vegetables. George darling, could you drive me to the market?"

"Sure thing honeydew."

River chuckled watching his overly excited mom rushing around to finish gardening while his dad went to turn off the tap.

"Mom, calm down. I'm sure Serena will like whatever you prepare. Your cooking's the best."

"Aww honey, thank you. But don't just stand there, you have some inviting to do."

River laughed while his mom pushed him away. His laughter resonated within the walls of their home that had felt crestfallen ever since the break up. The home that was once deprived of its cheeriness had now been relived alongside with River.

River laid on his bed after entering his room and quickly pulled out his phone to fly out a text to his beloved girlfriend.

River: Hey sweetheart <3 Don't mean to scare you or anything but mom's inviting you over for dinner tomorrow :D

A minute later, his phone pinged with an incoming text.

Serena: Hey :) Are you serious? Should I be worried?

River: Don't worry, babe. My parents like you already. I told them about us and they were over the moon that I'd asked you out. Mom gladly invited you over.

Serena: In that case, I'm happy to join your family for dinner. It'll be my pleasure :D

River: Is that so? Is having dinner with my parents more pleasurable than being alone with me?;)

Serena: RIVER!

River: Hahaha...jk. I'll pick you up @ 6 tmr.

Serena: Okie. Btw what does ur mom like? her favourite flower?

River: Tulips. Red ones.

Serena: Great. Thnx. I guess I'll see you tmr then :D

River: U will! Can't wait to see you again. Dream of me tonight. I know you'll be in mine <3

When Serena didn't reply back, River knew she was blushing hard at the moment. He could imagine her cheeks flush with a pinkish haze as she glances away while biting her lips.

A groan escaped River's lips. The mere thoughts of Serena had him all excited and his need to see her again grew. His hands itched to grab his keys and speed to where Serena resides. All he wanted was to encase her within his embrace and never let go.

Before he could act upon his impulses, the ringtone of his phone went off. Checking the call, River saw Mackenzie's name on the screen and huffed, knowing his mom probably informed her already. He wanted to be the one to break the news but it didn't matter now. River picked up the incoming call and Mackenzie's roaring voice passed through loud and clear.

"FINALLY!! BUT YOU HAVE SOME EXPLAINING TO DO MISTER."

Great! Just great. River spent the next hour or so skyping with Mackenzie and Jacob, whom Mackenzie had blabbed to, everything that happened between Serena and him.

***

At 6 pm sharp, River had arrived at Serena's campus, dressed in black slacks and a navy blue shirt. Waiting for Serena, River leaned against the hood of his car while tapping his foot impatiently. River was more than excited to see her again. He'd been patiently waiting for this moment all morning, that all the restraints had vanished now.

When he heard the opening and closing of the building door, River looked up to find Serena gracing him with a sight that caused his heart to clench with longing and his c-ck to pulse with yearning. Her body was draped in a pink maxi dress that filled out all her curves matched with a short, denim jean jacket. Her simplicity was further illustrated by the nude make-up that barely touched her face. River was awe-struck, words evaporating away, leaving him speechless.

Serena approached River, heart beating erratically from River's quietness. Do I look that bad? Serena came to a stop in front of River as she looked anywhere but him.

Noticing the distressing look on Serena's face, her forehead scrunched up and eyebrows furrowed, River was on his feet, standing tall. "What's wrong sweetheart?"

"Should I change?"

"What?"

"I should, shouldn't I?" Serena mumbled as she turned away.

River's hand shot out and he grabbed her, pulling her to him. Her front smashed against his and River nuzzled in the curve of her neck, inhaling her rousing scent.

"You look ravishing," River whispered against her ear before playfully biting her earlobe. "If my word is not enough, then ...." River enveloped his arm around her waist, resting it at the small of her back to keep her pressed against his front. Serena blushed as she felt his obvious prominent bulge and her heart started to beat more frantically.

Placing a short yet fiery kiss on her cheek, River pulled back and stared into the depth of her blue-green eyes that darkened with heat which further fuelled his own arousal.

"Come on," River cleared his throat as he took a small step back before he heeded to his desire to drag Serena back into her building, kicking out her roommate and locking her into her room alone with only him.

Serena nodded shyly. Only then did River noticed the basket and tulips that Serena was holding. "What's that for?" River asked nodding to the basket in question.

"Oh, the tulips are for your mom and I baked cupcakes to bring over," Serena replied. "I couldn't go empty-handed."

River smiled, not that he was comparing the two but for the first time River couldn't help but notice the difference between Serena and Lynn. Seeing and spending time with Serena made River question his attraction towards his ex.

Disregarding Lynn completely from his mind, River ushered Serena in the car and drove back home.

Upon reaching River's residence, Serena's eyes widened from the massive gates that awaited them. Shock couldn't compete with how overwhelmed she felt when she was met with the mansion of a house River called home after the gates were opened. Her mouth was ajar as she took in the size of the front yard that was trimmed with bushes all around and the majestic mansion sitting in front of her eyes.

Serena didn't even register River opening her door until he cleared his throat, snapping her out of her reverie.

"Everything okay?" River asked, concern reflecting in his eyes.

Serena opened and closed her mouth twice before being able to say anything. "Where are we?"

"My home, why?"

"Your home. It's more like a mansion."

"Well I don't mean to brag or anything," River said with a serious face. "My family is rich and considering I'm the sole heir to Williams Empire, all the estates and business will eventually belong to me when I take over.

"Excuse me? What do you mean?" Confusion laced with surprise as Serena tried to make sense of what River had just told her.

"Doesn't the last name Williams ring any bell?" River asked. "Williams Empire, perhaps?"

Serena shook her head and she recalled Justine telling how big of a catch River was. Serena tried to investigate further, questioning Justine for more information but all Justine said was that it would be better if River told her himself. It was not her business to stick her nose in.

Knowing that Serena became his friend and girlfriend without knowing who he was made River quite happy. It meant that she really liked him for who he was as an individual not how much he was worth.

"Well then don't worry your pretty head, you'll find out when we have dinner," River said as he placed her arm on his and walked her inside of his home where his parents awaited.

As soon as she entered alongside River, Serena was jumped with a big hug from Stacey.

"I'm so glad to see you again dear," Stacey squeezed Serena.

"Let the poor girl breath honeydew," George chuckled, pulling his wife away. "Welcome to our home dear."

"Thank you Mr. and Mrs, Williams — I mean Stacey and George," Serena said after seeing River's mom pouting her lips and frowning. "This is for you," Serena gave the flowers and basket to Stacey. "River said red tulips were your favourite. And a thank you gift for inviting me over."

"Oh dear, you didn't have to. But I've got to say something smells really good," Stacey exclaimed happily.

"Hmm...smells like fudge," George smiled while patting his belly. "It's making me hungry."

Serena laughed at how endearing River's parents were. Was this what a real family was like? Quickly shaking herself before she started to ponder on those thoughts, Serena focused back to River's parents. "I baked fudge cupcake with a chocolate ganache filling. I hope you like them."

River shared a contented look with his parents whom seemed pleased and charmed by Serena and her little act of kindness. She really was different especially compared to Lynn. River remembered how Lynn had forgotten to bring something as a gesture the first time he was bringing her over to have dinner with his parents. They were late to arrive for dinner as River had to drive to the liquor store in order for her to buy a bottle of wine for his parents. At that time it didn't really matter to River but coming empty-handed would be considered rude and River didn't want to aggravate things more when he knew his parents didn't like Lynn even if they weren't outspoken about it.

And seeing Serena do something without being asked to, only proved to show how sincere and good-natured Serena truly was inside out. She was a true beauty personified.

"Thank you my dear," Stacey kissed Serena's cheeks in gratitude. "Now why don't we move things into the dining room."

George and River took the seats on the table that was already set, while Serena helped Stacey finishing up the cooking. Despite Stacey's refusal for help, Serena stood her ground until Stacey gave in.

While Serena helped Stacey with the finishing touches and bringing the food to the dining room table, George was reiterating his story of how he met River's mom and how she became his lucky charm to his successful business. Serena could tell that George and Stacey truly were and still are in love each other, seeing how they still look at each other with adoration and total affection. Serena was astonished upon finding out that Williams Empire was the leading chains of hotels spread across United States that started off as a small hotel. And upon George's retirement, River would inherit everything and become the owner of Williams Empire.

Although Serena felt a bit perplexed upon finding just how influential and rich River and his family was, her nerves were soon deflated when River gazed at her adoringly with a smile playing on his lips. He was still the River she got to know. And his parents never once had made her feel any less.

After placing all the dishes — more like feast, on the table, Serena took a seat next to River. Everyone started piling their plates and dove into their meals. Taking a first bite from the creamy pasta, a burst of flavour filled her mouth. Eyes widening, Serena took another bite and let out a soft moan from such deliciousness.

"This is really delicious," Serena moaned, licking her lips, earning a chuckle from everyone.

"Glad you like it dear," Stacey grinned with satisfaction.

Serena took another bite until her pasta was done and moved on to the zucchini thyme soup which melted into her mouth. This is heaven in my mouth. There's something else about this food that makes it that much better, something that not even professional chefs can replicate.

River ate while he kept his eyes on Serena whom seemed to be enjoying her meal. "There's nothing like mom's cooking, is there? "

Mom's cooking. Is that what made this meal so delicious? Meals that were made with the love of a mother... Was that it? Was that the secret ingredient? Serena ceased eating when Patricia popped in her head. Serena tried hard to find a memory where she shared a good meal with her mom but no matter how hard she tried to remember, nothing came up. All she could remember was all the leftovers she was fed.

Snapshots of her mother ran through her mind and within seconds her hues brimmed with tears that were threatening to spill over. Her hands started to tremble lightly as memories of her old life came back, memories that Serena had suppressed into a tight corner for the past few weeks. Serena had locked everything within a box and tucked it away into the deepest depth of her heart but now, being here, seeing how a real family was like, eating food made by a mother, were cracking open that box.

River was caught off guard when he saw a single teardrop snaked its way down Serena's cheeks. His body went rigid, the need to comfort her rising to the top.

Once that lone tear slipped down, the waterworks shed on its own. There was no sobbing, no heavy breathing, just tears pouring out nonstop like a tranquil waterfall.

"Serena," River grimaced as though he was the one in pain. Hearing River calling out to Serena, Stacey and George looked up to be met with a sad-striken Serena whom was silently crying.

"Honey?", Stacey and George asked simultaneously as they stood up from their seats while River cupped Serena's face, pulling her towards him.

Upon feeling River's warm hands on her cheeks, Serena was snapped back to the present. It was then that the pain magnified and a sob tore through her mouth. Looking at River through her blurry vision, Serena felt ashamed. Quickly standing up, breaking from River's hold, Serena asked if she could use the restroom.

River wanted to ask her what was wrong but the look his parents gave him was enough to cause to stay silent and lead her to the restroom with his parents following close behind with a similar look of concern on their face.

****************************************************************************************

a/n

longest chapter by far now...yay go me :D Anyways, River and Serena are officially together <3 *shrieks happily*

Hope you guys are liking the story thus far :D Please vote and comment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147K 5.1K 42
Podcast editor, Gracie Waller, propositions her billionaire best friend of sixteen years with a fake-dating-deal after walking in on her cheating boy...
52.6K 2K 44
Two weeks until college, Eviana Rose thought it was a good time to do a prank call. After a prank call gone wrong, Eviana caught herself talking to K...
83.9K 3.2K 48
Rated Mature for strong language and sexual themes ~~~ Ana shrieked and frantically shielded her eyes as a very male, very naked man entered the roo...
151K 3.9K 55
Skye Davis: Once upon a time he was my best friend. I wanted him to be more. We spent every summer together at camp weehawken but then everything cha...