FIGHT

By RosieTaylorWrites

***ORIGINAL VERSION. EDITED (WITH NEW CONTENT) CAN BE FOUND ON RADISH UNDER THE TITLE "BELOW THE BELT": https... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author's Note

Chapter 27

21.8K 650 69
By RosieTaylorWrites

I can't bring myself to look away as Eli takes the advantage of Holden being down. Eli repeatedly slams his glove over and over into Holden's face and I can feel myself getting sick to my stomach as the red blood begins to stain the slightly padded floor in between the ropes.

The bell that sounds overhead is my savior.

Eli is awarded the winner of round two, but I can't think of anything apart from just getting to Holden and taking care of him.

As fast as I can, I rush to the corner of the ring with a water bottle and several wet towels to wipe the blood off of Holden. He takes the water from me, gulping down a large swig as I run the towel around his face, tingeing the white fabric red. Holden winces when the towel makes contact with the cut on his face, but otherwise shows no other reaction to the obvious bruising beginning on his temple.

I don't want him to go back in there.

"Holden," I whisper, "you don't have to go back in there."

Despite the loud noise reverberating around the entire venue, I know he hears me. Holden throws on his signature smirk, only a little warped from the cut on his face. I'm sure he's in more pain than he's letting on.

Across the ring, Eli looks pretty beaten, too. My only worry is that I know Eli can persevere after being beaten down again and again. Holden didn't grow up in a household like that and he's used to winning without really having to try.

"I'm okay, T. Don't worry about me, okay?"

I shake my head, "I'm always going to worry about you. That's the whole point of being a girlfriend."

My words cause a small smile to play around his lips, bringing him back into reality instead of stuck in the second round of the fight.

"So Josh had to be his coach then, right?"

My eyes flit to glance at Holden's coach who is only sitting with his phone in his hands. I turn back to Holden, nodding. "Nobody else learns that kick. I only know it because I pay too much attention to detail."

The warning bell rings, signaling that the fighters have a minute left with their teams. "H, his right side is weak. Since most people are right-handed, he only ever gets hit on the left."

A vision passes through my head of when my brother and I were little. I was maybe five years old and he agreed to play outside with me. Eli wanted to show me he could climb a tree, but he fell and broke his leg. His shin splinted completely and I remember crying because I thought he was going to die. That's when he was still my big brother.

"His right shin. It's strange to go for, but he can only withstand so much pain there, got it?"

Holden nods, taking another sip of water before puckering his lips to me. Without hesitation, I match my lips with his, ignoring the slight trembling I feel in the kiss. Holden can do this, I know he can. He just has to work for it.

By the look on Elijah's face as Holden stepped back into the ring, the kiss was seen. Though the ref calls for the round to start, Eli can't tear his eyes away from me long enough to focus on the fight. It's simple, really. Holden's not even trying and Elijah puts up little defense.

I didn't even have to watch any of the hits Holden threw; they were irrelevant. The second Eli saw me with him, Holden had round three in the bag.

So he wins.

Both men retreat to their corners and I'm getting ready to celebrate before the rest of Holden's team comes to ice him down, returning his body temperature back to normal. Alex points out a trend he's noticed in Eli's boxing, telling him to pay attention to that for the next round.

Next round?

I turn to the men, "How many rounds is this fight?"

"Five."

I don't know which of the men answer me, but I can feel my body start to shake again. Holden has to go back in and fight my brother for another two rounds. I was counting for the shock factor for only one of the rounds. It was supposed to put Holden on top.

"T?"

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by Holden's voice, turning my attention to him. "Hmm?"

"Do I get a good luck kiss?"

I roll my eyes, pretending to be okay with the additional rounds I wasn't accounting for. I place a chaste kiss against Holden's lips, nudging him back into the ring as the bell sounds again. For this round, I stand closer to the ring than I have been.

This might be the scariest thing of my life.

I watch as the men battle it out, both getting a decent amount of hits on the other. The audience is screaming and cheering, but I tune out all of their vulgar comments and focus completely on technique. Holden does well and listens to me about Eli's shin, buying himself recovery time as Eli stumbles back to regain his balance.

Everything between the men is calculated. With a minute left in the round, the men walk in a slow circle, anticipating who will make the next move.

My brother just doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut. "Was that your ploy, Samuels? Fuck my sister and put her on display?"

Holden's jaw clenches as a malicious smile overtakes his features. Whatever is about to happen between the men is just giving the audience more of a show; the ref won't call anything. But now the attention is drawn to me. Eli's smart — getting the audience on his side, even with sympathy, gives him an advantage.

Holden's smarter.

"You made the bet on her, Samson. Are you seriously trying to claim brother of the year?"

I feel the eyes of almost everyone in the audience glance from between the two men and back to me. My throat feels like it's closing up; I can hardly breathe from the scene playing out in front of me.

"It's my job to protect her. Especially from people like you."

The men continue to circle each other, both of their hands placed up in front of their faces as a defense. I feel like I've been thrown into the middle of a soap opera. This isn't a fight; it's a drama show.

"Was Luke your way of protection?"

My eyes widen at Holden's bold comment and I don't even have time to scream out and warn Holden as Elijah shoots his fist out, clipping Holden's chin. He deflected it enough, but Eli keeps coming at him. If Holden doesn't win this round, he has another one to go.

The bell dings; end of round four.

Winner: Elliot Samson.

I inhale deeply, exhaling slowly as I try to rid myself of the forceful anxiety coursing through me. I allow Holden's team to take over coaching him, pointing out Eli's patterns. My eyes scan the area, looking for Holden's actual coach.

I can't find Josh anywhere.

When the warning bell rings, I hike myself up to the ring and give Holden another kiss. It's quick, but out of the corner of my eye, I see Josh.

He's with Eli.

From my position, there's no way to gauge anything he's saying. Acid seems to boil in the pit of my stomach; Jack told me Samson's coach never showed up to his fights. Makes sense, because somebody would have recognized Josh.

Josh coaching Eli in public cannot be a good thing.

I try to ignore the pain in my stomach as Holden walks back to the center of the ring, rolling his shoulders to release the tension. He shoots a quick wink at me and I plaster on a fake smile. If Holden keeps up his confidence, there's a chance he'll win this.

Granted, as long as he comes out of this fight in one whole piece, I'll be incredibly grateful.

The loud bell sounds for the final round; whoever wins this gains the official title as champion. Holden rolls his neck, loosening himself up like we always do together before we train. The gesture warms my heart, but I can't ignore the foreboding feeling long enough to feel the second of happiness that gesture would usually give me.

The final round starts like all the rest. Both of them are wary to make the first move, but after Holden thrusts his fist forward, it's game on.

From the corner of my eye, I see Josh walk out of the main doors and into one of the hallways in the venue. Though I know I should stay for the whole round, I can't just let Josh walk away. He's up to something.

I motion to Sophia that I'll be right back and she half-heartedly nods, completely immersed in the two men trying to win over the other. My feet break into a light jog, wanting to catch up with Josh before he disappears.

When I push open the double doors, I can faintly hear Josh speaking to someone. As I creep up on the pair, I almost gasp out loud when I see he's talking to Jack. Jack didn't come with us tonight; he told us he got the flu and shouldn't be around so many people.

But Jack doesn't look like Jack. He's in formal wear, and it sounds like he's discussing business with Josh. I can still see the uncoordinated, fifteen year old kid I helped train just a few days ago, but his whole persona has completely changed.

I tiptoe closer, leaning my head into the spacious room as far as I can without being spotted.

"The only reason you have any information on what their plan was regarding you is because of me. I hope that you would respect that properly, Henderson." It's Jack's voice speaking, but it doesn't sound like Jack. This person sounds so much more confident.

"Why do you think I had someone else arrested, Jack?"

Jack only shrugs, "Not my problem. But I expect my pay, now."

I watch as Josh pulls a large wad of cash out of his pocket, immediately handing it to Jack. "Most of it's yours. Take the rest of it to get Luke out of jail."

My eyebrows pull together, and I lean more in the room. The men are walking away and I'm straining to hear the end part of their conversation. "Where did you even get this money, Henderson?"

"Samuels. Where else?"

If anything else is said, I can't hear it because they're too far away. My head is absolutely pounding; nothing is making sense anymore. Josh was speaking to Jack, but not the dorky Jack I started to see as my little brother. This Jack was in some kind of trade.

Suddenly, chanting can be heard from the main arena and I run back, pushing the conversation I just heard to the back of my mind. I can focus on that a different day — after this whole thing is finally over with.

As I push my way back through the crowd, the chanting appears to get louder. I hear it in every different direction. Some are chanting for Holden, others for Eli.

When I finally get ringside, I see why.

The men are more harsh in their movements than they were when I left. Neither one of them has the upper hand. It switches back and forth — if they make it to time, there's no telling who the win will be awarded to.

I watch as the men practically wrestle and I don't even realize when I join into the loud chants, getting caught up in the fight. If Holden can pull a quick move, he could win. He'd come out of this with a few bruises and scrapes, but he'd be okay.

But today just isn't my day.

I don't have time to process anything before I watch Elijah ram his elbow straight into Holden. Blood immediately spews everywhere and Holden is doubled over in a fit of coughing. Eli hit the exact spot where Holden was stabbed.

When I see blood falling from Holden's mouth after he coughs, I don't take two-seconds to even think about it before plunging myself between the ropes, running to him. Holden's trying to keep his stance up, but he doesn't have the strength for it.

I look over at his team and it looks like they're calling for an ambulance.

I lay Holden down on his back, supporting his weight as much as possible as his team joins me in the ring. Eli and the ref are looking over our shoulders, but I don't pay them any mind. I can't. Holden's breathing is getting more shallow as each second passes and there's no way for me to control the amount of blood he's losing.

My mind travels back to the day in my apartment with Luke. Under normal circumstances, being coated in so much blood would cause me to faint, but today is just like that day. I can't think of anything else besides making sure Holden is safe.

I pepper kisses all over his bloodied face, snatching a water bottle from Zain before pulling a light trickle of water over Holden's face.

He has to stay awake.

All around me is a loud uproar, but all I hear is a sharp ringing. My heart is beating wildly and I almost cry at the sight of the paramedics. Within minutes, they have a gurney set up and are figuring out a safe way to transfer Holden from the venue to the hospital.

Tears are freely sliding down my cheeks and I make no attempt to wipe them away as I watch Holden. His beautiful green eyes keep fluttering and I know it won't be long before he loses the strength to keep them open.

I stand, walking towards the edge of the ring to climb out. My arm is pulled back sharply and I'm met with a carbon copy of my dad. Only, Eli is so much worse than dad. "Tatum, listen."

There's not a string of thoughts that pass through my mind before I turn and execute a perfect right hook, hitting him solidly in the jaw. I rip my arm away from his, muttering the words I've wanted to say to him for such a long time.

"No, Eli. You left, so I'm done listening. Your protection only made my life worse, and I can promise you that if I ever see you again, I will kill you."

Eli looks shocked before an amused smile appears on his bruising face. "I think you're overestimating yourself, baby sister."

"Try me."

Without another breath wasted on him, I climb out of the ring, sprinting to catch up with the paramedics. They're about to put Holden into the ambulance and as I try to crawl into the back, they stop me.

He's in too severe condition to have anybody in the back with him.

"Don't give up, Holden. You hear me?"

The paramedics attempt to close the door, but I stop the movement for a split second. My chest is constricting, but I force the words out of my mouth anyway.

"Holden, I know you can hear me, and I need something from you."

I take a pause like I'm waiting for a response, only to receive silence.

"Fight."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.6K 1.5K 26
Can money and fame get between a prospering, rising boxing star and his girlfriend of five years? Jungkook, conflicted between love and happiness, an...
1.4M 74.1K 82
When rich girl Alyssa grows tired of the high-life, she joins a boxing gym for delinquents, where she must fight her feelings for one of the members...
22.5K 667 33
Callie has made a huge change in her life. She's given up everything she was used to for a brand new life. Traded in her job, her useless boyfriend a...
628K 27.8K 17
The only worthy man is the man willing to spill blood. There is no greater gang feared in the streets of New York than South Bloods. They kill, they...