Highland Dream (Book 1)

AzMaz90 tarafından

The Druids were a hunted people long ago...they made a pact to scatter their children throughout time to keep... Daha Fazla

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Epilogue
Hamish's Story

Chapter 6

13.4K 671 59
AzMaz90 tarafından

Chapter 6

He watched her watch him walk away. He had heard every word. It sometimes helped being the youngest and quietest, people didn’t pay attention to you if you didn’t want them to. Well at least she wouldn’t be suspicious when he approached, Camdyn had mentioned refreshments, and here he was with some of the best fare he could scrounge up. Though most of the men seemed willing to give up some of the best leftovers for their injured party member. Most were talking of nothing else. But while they could not approach her without Camdyn giving them cold stares which made them quickly change direction, he had reason enough to be near her and Camdyn could go to hell if he thought he was going to let this go.

Aislinn was still staring after Camdyn, a little in shock over his rather abrupt departure. She had thought they had been getting on quite well. She felt someone approach her from behind. She did not like people at her back, it was easier to attacker her that way. When she thought about it that is what made it so strange with how comfortable she had been with Camdyn sleeping at her back last night.

She turned her head towards her new distraction to find a young man with a rather endearing smile. The food in his hands explained his presence more than anything else. Camdyn probably thought she would feel more comfortable if he sent someone younger, he must have used some sort of signal, for she couldn’t remember him talking to anyone before she turned around. It would be most efficient to learn this signalling system, though it was probably reserved for the warriors alone. She tried to smile in response to this male and found it difficult with one side of her face pulling painfully tight, so a nice welcome ended up becoming a grimace of pain. Her new companion chuckled and sat down next to her on the opposite side to Camdyn.

“Good Morning, some light fare for you to break your fast today. I’m Corey, I know I look young but I’m the healer with this group. I helped to patch you up when Camdyn brought you in last night.” He held out the food for her to take, making sure to graze his fingers along hers as she took his offerings.

She could not remember the last time she had such good food. She had been on her own surviving off whatever she could find for too long. There was a knowledge in the back of her mind that these men probably thought this was the worst of their food before they returned as it was nearing the end of their journey. There was a small round of stale bread, some left over pieces of rabbit meat, that even though they were cold and tough the taste exploded in her mouth. A piece of cheese had been found from somewhere, she did not like cheese but as hungry as she was she was willing to eat anything at the moment. Only after every morsel she had been given was inhaled by her body did she realise how rude she was being, and that this boy…Corey was silently watching her.

“I am so sorry Corey, I was rather hungry I’m afraid.” Her blush rose again and he smiled at her. Maybe he could become a friend for her, someone she could turn to when Camdyn was not around. “I’m Aislinn, I hope I wasn’t too difficult a patient for you last night, will I survive.”

Corey could have watched her forever, but was brought back by her sweetness after her perceived rudeness. “Oh, you were no trouble at all. I had you patched up in no time at all. I think we’re moving out soon. You could ride with me if you want, I’m not as big as the others yet as my training has only just started taking up most of my time now I’ve learnt the most important healing information from my mother…I mean my brother Iain over there was a scrawny as me at 18 summers as well.” He was rambling and he couldn’t stop, and now he had pointed out his brother to her, there was no chance of her staying interested in him now.

She released a breathy giggle after the tirade Corey had just gone on. He had got faster throughout and his words almost ran into each other. It was cute. “Well Corey, I am sure you are an excellent healer, and I feel like I was in very capable hands. Thank you. I’m sorry, but Camdyn is quite resolute about me riding with him, and I don’t think he will take it well if I don’t.” He was the same age as her and she could tell eventually he would be a perfect warrior, but right now she felt safest with Camdyn.

Damn, he knew Cam had got in there first, but he was hoping she would feel more comfortable with someone more her age. She could feel like she has no choice but to go with Cam as he is the one to place protection over her. Maybe he could slip something into Cam’s water pouch making him feel ill, then he won’t be up to looking after her and he would have to give her to someone else to look after. He just had to work out how to get near Camdyn’s possessions without arousing suspicion.

After a few more banal comments Corey took his leave of Aislinn. She was disappointed at herself for the relief she felt when he left. He seemed keen and attentive, but what she really wanted was to be listening to Camdyn saying the same meaningless comments. It wouldn’t matter so long as she was near him, and that feeling she would have to watch out for and try to temper.

It was not long after that conversation that all the men were mounting up and heading back out into the rain. As she approached Camdyn her stomach seemed to have hatched butterflies and were currently trying to escape her body by any means necessary. He didn’t say a word to her, but his look was intense. Cupping her around the waist, his fingertips almost touching at the centre of her back. His horse moved at that moment bumping into them and breaking the connection they had been unable to break by themselves. With that he tossed her up on the broad back of his stallion and swung himself up behind her, one arm coming around her waist to hold her to him, the other gathering the reigns together and urging the horse forward out into the rain.

The sensation was strange to start off with. Aislinn had very rarely been on a horse, as her status in the village she comes from meant her family could not afford a horse, a chicken would have been more like it. The rain hit her but this time she didn’t really mind it. She melted back into Camdyn, there was no point in sitting primly, from what she could tell this was going to be a long ride and both she and Camdyn were better off if they were comfortable. Her head had started to become more painful, and the gentle motion of the horse’s movements slowly lulled her into sleep.

Camdyn felt Aislinn’s body droop with sleep in his arms. She fit perfectly against him. As he’d first put his hands on her to lift her onto his horse, he’d realised just how think she was. At that moment he made a promise to himself to feed her up. He had been about to send Artair with some food for her when he turned to see Corey there with a feast. He didn’t think much of it the healer in Corey was probably why he had thought of it. Seeing her like this probably made him want to fix it however he could. How he’d managed to talk his seasoned warriors into giving up the finest of the food they had left was easy, they all seemed enamoured by her plight, he had heard of no other topic of conversation since he brought her among their group.

As he pulled himself up behind her on the stallion she had automatically moved into a comfortable position for them both. He couldn’t resist placing his arm around her middle, if she hadn’t settled against him, he might have just made her, though he doesn’t know how he would have done it. It just felt right. A rain drop fell from his nose and he watched it fall, it hit her hair softly joining in with the other water droplets already there.

Moving the reigns to the hand around her waist, he used his newly freed hand to tuck her damp locks behind her ear, the side of her face becoming visible to him. Her profile was unmarred by any bumps that could be seen. At least the bruises would fade, the cut near her hairline he traced softly with his forefinger. A clearing of someone’s throat brought his head up to see Hamish riding beside him, a smirk starting on his usually stoic expression. “The look doesn’t suit you Hamish.”

“Oh, Cam, come on. With how you look at her and you call me on a small smile.” That small smile became a full blown grin. “I just came to inform you Iain thinks Corey up to something, and if you want to keep your woman then stay away from Corey.”

“Bloody Hell, it’s going to be days before we reach home. She isn’t exactly the picture of health at the moment, and unless you happen to have a bag of potions to help, what do you suggest I do?” Cam shoved his hand through his thick shoulder length hair in frustration. Unless she was run through with a sword he couldn’t help her and that is only to stitch her back up again.

“I’d suggest you keep a close eye on her, or if you can’t, me or the twins will be there with her. You know Iain’s instincts Cam, he’s not lead us wrong yet.”

“I know…fine let the twins know, if Corey has to treat her one of us is near her.” With that Hamish was gone. Cam looked down and Aislinn still slept, pulling his plaid further around her he settled in for the days ride.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

162 32 17
What if dreams really could come true? What if fairy tales could come true? And you will become their main character? Once a girl named Aislinn had a...
94 20 13
Prompt #3 Your greatest fear is monsters in the dark. The last thing you expected is to become the monster in the dark. Teraphobia: The Fear of Monst...
35 1 24
Draumrs are today's descendants of the ancient dreamweaver families. Fun-loving, sexy and super-intelligent, they join our dreams with amazing fantas...
122K 9.3K 30
{Featured Story!} #1 in Supernatural #48 in Romance #5 in Historical Fiction "They say at night, the howls of wolves echo across the land, and in t...