The Demon Within

By BlondePower10

In the ages of the samurai, an Empire uses its samurai to ensure their secure rule. The only threat to the Em... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Twenty-Four

168 8 11
By BlondePower10

Mei didn't want to believe her eyes. The courtyard was completely silent, and Soushi stood inches away from Kalas with a smile on his face. Im-Impossible, Mei thought as her body went numb. Soushi chuckled and took a step forward. Mei racked her brain for an explanation, but she couldn't find one. Then it dawned on Mei; the only one who wasn't in her dream that should've been dead was Soushi.

"Mei, why the look of shock? I thought you said you knew," Soushi said. Mei took a step back, blood splashing at her heels. This isn't what Mei had expected! Mei could only imagine what was going on in the Kalik's and Takashi's mind.

"You're supposed to be dead!" Taichi exclaimed as his mouth dropped open in shock. Soushi chuckled, finding the situation to be humorous.

"Supposed to be, yes. But I'm not and I'll tell you why. I have been in league with Osamu for a very long time."

"Captain!" Takashi and Kalik yelled, finally finding their voices. Soushi narrowed his eyes at them.

"Give me a break boys. Did you honestly think when I put myself in front of Kazuma and Mei I would actually die? No, I don't believe in sacrificing my life for something that's not supposed to even be here. Not that I could die, for that matter. I merely did it so I could continue my work, completely out of the picture."

"Bastard," Kazuma growled as his eyes flared with anger.

"How long were you working for Osamu?" Kalik yelled, anger coursing through him.

"Didn't I tell you I have seen many things in my time? I worked behind the scenes ever since the demons came into this world. Osamu wouldn't have been able to find the temple without my guidance. And now that Mei is in the picture, I'm taking command now. Does that make sense to you, Kalik? I've been alive just as long as Osamu has. That's why I know so much." Mei gritted her teeth together as Soushi smiled at her. She was deceived, from the very beginning. All of them were.

"It's gotta be a lie, Captain," Takashi said shaking his head. "You talked about the hope we brought. You said Mei could save the world!"

"And I meant every word I said about the matter," Soushi said nodding his head. "I don't lie completely for the fun of it. Mei would've saved the world had she not been hesitant. But she wanted to save her friends, to whom she holds no ties too. Feeling ashamed, Mei? If you hadn't hesitated, none of this would've happened. That's what happens when you put your feelings first."

"You lying, son of a bitch," Taichi growled viciously, his hand tightening on the hilt of his sword.

"From the beginning, you planned this," Mei said, finally finding her voice. She looked up angrily at Soushi, her hatred for him rising within her. She wanted to wipe the smirk clean off of his face with her sword. "You planned it all." Soushi shrugged his shoulders in arrogance.

"Of course, Mei. It is common sense for me to plan ahead."

"You mentioned a temple," Mei said narrowing her eyes. "What temple?"

"My dear princess, the temple that connects this world to yours. The temple holds the portal. I found it, and Osamu arranged the slaughter."

"Then how did you know about the princess?" Kazuma snarled.

"Through the scrolls and books found within the temple. Not everything is just legends. Of course, everything fell into place when I discovered Hintani. When Hintani first sent the letter to join the clan, I was intrigued someone from Irailia wanted to join. I knew Irailia was nothing but a giant marketplace, where merchants come and go. So I investigated a bit before answering him. I knew he was hiding something, I just didn't know what. That's why I let him join the Shin Clan in the first place; to discover his secret. It helped he did have some skill with the sword, so it looked as if he got in with mere talent. When I sent him on missions, I went through his journals, eager to discover his secret. I found letters from someone named Anonymous, and now I realize it was you, Mei, who wrote him those letters."

"What?" Kalik demanded, his face draining of all color.

"Why did you want to discover Mei so badly?" Takashi asked. Soushi smiled at them as he continued his tale, his eyes narrowing slightly.

"Before becoming captain of the Shin Clan, I did studies on the other world, the Demonic World. I had heard about the power of the princess, and also discovered the deity Certo, as I said before. You would be amazed at the legends recorded in the temple. Becoming a captain was my first step, which meant I could be closer to the demons. But it all changed when I was ordered to hunt and capture Ryou. Hintani claimed he knew of him, and because of that, he asked to go look, saying he had someone to protect at home. A girl, for that matter. I knew Hintani had never spoken of a lover, so my guess was on its mark. He was hiding you. When he came back and said the demon had already left there, I became certain. The battle where Hintani died, I came face to face with Ryou, and told him about Hintani. I merely mentioned Hintani was threatening to reveal her existence, and Ryou went and killed him. My suspicions were confirmed, due to this little stunt. Then you came Mei, years later. Everything was falling into place, especially when you asked for Hintani when you got there."

"You had Hintani killed?!" Kalik screamed in anger. Both he and Takashi were shaking with rage, their eyes glinting with murder.

"The truth does hurt doesn't it?" Soushi said sarcastically. "I found out about Kalas' little chat with the Emperor and decided to help him out a bit too. I feel bad for Mizuki though. He died thinking I was actually going to help Mei, but in the end I would've had to kill him as well. Like I said, this is my research. Come, Kalik, Takashi! You still have a chance to live. Come with me and enjoy everlasting life."

"You're immortal too, huh?" Kalik spat out in disgust. "No way in hell."

"Like hell we'd join you. Everything we knew, everything you ever told us, was all a lie," Takashi said, slamming his fist against the wall, drawing blood at his knuckles.

"At least you figured that part out," Soushi said. "Of course everything was a lie. I had to sound convincing, so no one would suspect me till the right time." Mei took a step forward, her eyes narrowed in hatred.

"You intend to release Certo," Mei said darkly. Soushi nodded at her and gave her a know-it-all look.

"Yes I do. See, Certo has more power than you do, princess. But, I also need you. I need control over all the demons and the Demonic World, so I'm going to have to ask you to cooperate."

"Go to hell," Mei answered, her eyes narrowing dangerously. Soushi sighed and snapped his fingers. Moments later, Certo busted through the walls above Soushi, sending debris and bodies falling to the ground.

"I knew you would need a bit of persuasion. Osamu!" Soushi called out. Mei watched as Osamu looked over Certo's shoulder, a chain around his neck. Mei's mouth dropped open when she saw this and she realized Soushi was playing Osamu as well.

"I think it's time to release your little friend," Soushi said smiling. Osamu nodded and put both of his hands on Certo's back. Mei started to run forward but was blasted backwards by wind created by Kalas' iron bars, as he swung them viciously through the air. Kazuma caught Mei before she became submerged in the blood, and Mei looked up at Osamu.

"No!" Mei yelled.

"I RELEASE YOU CERTO! I UNDO THE BONDS THAT SEAL YOU TO THE EARTH!" Osamu screamed at the top of his lungs. Certo's eyes glowed with a light tint, and then energy shot forward into the sky, returning the sky to its original state. The wind from the energy was pushing Mei and the others back, their feet sliding in the blood. Mei shook off Kazuma's hand and rushed towards Certo, summoning the Abyss Blade. She was hoping to kill him before he was released. As she neared him, something tackled her, sending both of them flying and skidding in the river of blood. Mei looked up and saw a demon with silver eyes and drool coming out of his mouth. A Soulless Demon, Mei thought, her mind flashing back to when she first saw it when she came to the Shin Clan.

"My, my, guess the secret is out of the bag," Soushi said as he looked over at Mei, the wind from Certo's energy whipping through his hair. "That is a project of my research I developed years ago. Why did you think we captured demons? To turn them into fighting machines basically. Why else would I care for these beings?" Mei didn't hesitate; she launched herself upwards and sliced the demon in half, from the head down to the feet, the blood spraying everywhere. She glared at Soushi, anger rising up inside of her. How dare he toy with our lives like that?! Soushi just laughed and held up his hand, and more Soulless Demons came pouring into the courtyard. Mei tried to get to Certo again, but this time Soushi drew his own sword and attacked Mei. She was thrown backwards, sending blood up in sprays as she slid in it. Mei's body was drenched in blood, and the smell was getting into her nose, causing her to feel nauseous. Mei looked over and saw everyone else was fighting the Soulless Demons. Mei turned back to Soushi, realizing he was going to block her from Certo. A death you cannot stop. Mei closed her eyes as she realized what death her mother was talking about. Mei was going to have to kill Soushi in order to reach Certo.

"Don't make me do this Soushi" Mei warned. If Mei didn't have to kill him, then she didn't want too. He still meant something to Kalik and Takashi.

"I know you won't kill me, Mei. You don't have it in you," Soushi said matter-of-factly. Mei tightened her grip on her sword and she adjusted her feet. She looked from Soushi to Certo, considering her options of getting to Certo before he was released. Mei knew she didn't have time to be second guessing herself, but something was stopping her. Was it because it was Soushi who stood in her way? Mei brushed the idea from her head and ran at Soushi, their swords colliding. Kazuma killed another Soulless Demon, and looked over to see Mei battling Soushi, desperately trying to get to Certo. Kazuma turned and blocked a blow from yet another Soulless Demon, silently cursing to himself. He couldn't find a chance to help Mei out with all of these brainless demons coming out of nowhere. Mei swung her sword with incredible speed, but Soushi was matching her blow for blow. Mei knew he was stalling for time. Mei jumped backwards and landed on a fallen pillar. It's more than just a blade, the smooth voice echoed in her head. Mei looked down at her sword, the green energy swirling in the middle of it. Mei smiled to herself as she understood. Mei held the blade out in front of her and put her other hand on the middle of the blade. The green energy within the blade began to glow, and Mei quickly swiped her hand over the blade. The blade extended three other blades from the hilt, giving it the look of a shruiken. Soushi's eyes widened and Mei figured he never expected her blade to accomplish this, but in truth, neither did Mei. Mei held it above her head and started twirling it, sending her own energy into the blade. Black and purple lightning started to fill the inside of the vortex the blade was producing. The wind Mei was creating was making the river of blood blast into Soushi's face, blinding him for a second, but that was all Mei needed. Hoping she built up enough, Mei sent her blade hurtling through the air towards Certo, the blade spinning with amazing speed.  The blade made contact with the energy Certo was giving off and an explosion erupted from it, sending everyone flying backwards. Mei hit a wall, knocking the breath out of her as she landed back in the blood below her. Mei slowly got to her feet, half of her face covered with blood. She saw a huge cloud of smoke, and she couldn't spot Soushi anywhere. Mei looked over to her right and saw Kazuma and the others slowly getting up, the explosion sending them into walls as well. Mei walked over a few steps, hoping to see something in the smoke. Mei knew her blade vanished on impact, so she was hoping she disturbed Certo's transformation. Mei's hope vanished when she saw a gigantic figure in the smoke, the shadow of the figure stood about eighteen feet high, and Mei saw the red eyes gleaming in the smoke. A loud roar erupted and Mei was forced to cover her ears. She looked up when the smoke cleared and terror gripped her when she saw Certo; the body of man, the feet of a bull, four arms coming out of his body with hands that had seven fingers on them, horns coming out from the side of his head, and the face of a wolf. His tail remained a snake, except the tail was much larger. Certo grinned, his fangs shining in the night. His beady red eyes scanned the area until he spotted Soushi. Soushi had a smile on his face and he didn't even falter from Certo's appearance.

"My Lord," Soushi said with a small bow. "I told you I would deliver the princess to you once I found her."

"You have not disappointed, Soushi," Certo's voice boomed out. Mei cursed herself; she was too late. Mei was pissed off with herself, for hesitating so much. If she didn't hesitate, then none of this would have happened. Certo looked around and spotted Osamu and Kalas standing near each other, looking up in awe. The bodies of the Soulless Demons lay scattered all over the place, Kazuma and the others finally defeating them. Kalik looked over at Mei who stood a couple feet away. Getting the others attention, they started to make their way over there before an invisible force shoved them backwards.

"That princess is mine," Certo growled. Certo looked down at Soushi. "I require some blood before I proceed."

"Two offerings are standing over there," Soushi said pointing his hand lazily over at Kalas and Osamu.

"You can't be serious?!" Kalas yelled, backing up as Certo's eyes fell on him. "Soushi, we were in this together!"

"Correct, but I no longer require your services, or the Emperors. So...goodbye," Soushi said waving at them. Kalas screamed as he ran, and Mei watched in horror as both Kalas and Osamu were picked up, and they struggled in his grasp to no avail.

"Stop it!" Mei screamed running towards Certo. "You've gone too far!" Soushi intercepted her and rammed his sword hilt into her stomach, sending her flying backwards without much effort.

"Maybe you should have more defense lessons," Soushi offered as he removed his hand from his hilt. Certo lifted Kalas to his mouth, his fangs parting slightly, the saliva dripping from his lips. Mei got up from her fall and tried again, this time with the aid of Kazuma and the others who had recovered from the blow.  Certo's tail whipped out at them, catching all of them by the feet and sending them face first into the blood. The blood around them froze, holding them in place. Mei tried to yank herself free from the ice, but when she heard the screams, she knew she was too late. She looked up and saw Certo take a bite out of Kalas, leaving his lower half in his hand, blood flowing from it like a waterfall. Certo crunched loudly and tears came to Mei's eyes. Her eyes glowed purple and her energy spiraled out of control. She broke free from the ice and flew towards Certo, her energy creating a shield around her. She summoned her Abyss Blade and slashed Certo's stomach, causing him to scream in pain. The blood unfroze and Mei knew she broke Certo's concentration. She landed on his arm and launched herself again, and slashed his stomach again to create an 'X' on Certo's stomach. Mei was about to go slash him again when one of Certo's hands grabbed her. Mei couldn't move her body at all. Mei looked down and was relieved to see Osamu had been dropped, but there were no remains of Kalas.

"Watch and learn, princess," Certo rumbled, and black threads came up from the ground and circled Osamu, tightening themselves around his body. Mei's eyes widened as she struggling within the deity's grasp.

"What are you doing?!" Mei said desperately.

"I'm killing this whelp," Certo said, his eyes drifting to Mei.

"He can't be killed!" Kazuma yelled his body stiffening.

"I'm a deity; I can kill whomever, even an immortal. After all, he is human. He was only immortal because of me. I can kill anyone!"

"But you'll die as well! You made the blood oath," Mei gasped out as Certo tightened his grip.

"You think some oath would stop me? Foolish princess, I won't die from a human oath. He made the oath before I was awakened. Now it means nothing. Let me prove it to you, princess." Osamu's screams were cut off when the threads tightened around him, sending his body parts flying in every direction. Guts and bones hit the walls, splattering and sticking to them. Mei let out a scream, and Kazuma and the others lowered their heads, disturbed by what they had seen. Certo lifted Mei to his face and she glared at him. "What is the matter princess? Does this displease you?" Certo asked.

"Damn you, bastard," Mei answered as she struggled in his hold. Certo laughed and his breath smelled like rotten meat.

"Can you really call yourself a princess? Letting people die in such a way is disgraceful," Certo said as he shifted his feet. "Why don't I end your pitiful life now?" Before Mei had the time to react, Certo threw her to the ground, blood coming out of her mouth from the impact. Mei coughed up blood and Certo plunged his claws downward at Mei. Mei closed her eyes and waited for the impact, but it never came. She felt something drip on her face and she opened her eyes and she came face to face with Taichi. He smiled painfully at her, and Mei saw the claws stabbing him throughout his body. Certo withdrew his hand and Taichi fell limply onto Mei. "Disgraceful, princess. Is your life really worth living after so many disappointments?" Mei rolled Taichi gently off of her and she looked down at him, completely ignoring Certo. His breathing was coming in the form of gasps and tears started falling down her face. Kazuma and the others ran over there, kneeling beside Taichi as the blood poured from his wounds. "Mourn for your dead. I will meet you, princess, in the abandon castle of Desgon. If you do not show in three days, I will destroy the Demonic World completely." Mei looked over at Certo, her eyes narrowed angrily. Certo and Soushi disappeared, and Mei turned her attention back on Taichi as tears formed in her eyes.

"You idiot," Mei whispered to him. "Why would you save me?"

"I wanted to do that," Taichi said, blood coming out from the corners of his mouth.

"We could've attacked him together to get Mei out of there," Kazuma said. "You didn't have to do that alone!"

"You rushed in without thinking. What the hell were you thinking?" Takashi said.

"Karma's a bitch, ain't she?" Taichi whispered.

"What?" Mei asked. She looked at Taichi with a confused expression on her face and he smiled slightly.

"I betrayed you once, so this is the best I deserve," Taichi got out before he coughed up blood.

"No, no, you deserve much more," Mei said as her tears started to land on Taichi's face. "If I had more to offer, then none of this would've happened."

"But your my princess, and that's what makes you special," Taichi said closing his eyes. "Certo is blind; he can't see what power you have. If you didn't have it in you, that crest wouldn't be on your neck." Mei's hand traveled up to her neck, her fingers tracing the crest resting there. The tears filled up the bottom of her eyes, making her vision blurry. "Do me a favor and kill the son of a bitch for me," Taichi said with a small smile. "Kazuma, you better take care of her, or I will haunt you for the rest of your life."

"Kill him yourself!" Kazuma yelled as his voice started to crack. "There's no way I'm going to let you die like this!"

"There's nothing you can do. It was good fighting beside you again, old friend," Taichi said opening his eyes and glancing at Kazuma.

"Can't your demon power heal your wounds?" Kalik asked hopefully.

"Not to this caliber," Taichi said coughing up blood again. "Don't you think I would have done that by now if I could?"

"Taichi..." Kazuma growled and he looked away, tears starting to form in his eyes.

"Don't cry, Kazuma. You're a man! You're not supposed to cry," Taichi said softly, his voice starting to fade.

"Taichi, hold on," Mei choked out. "Please! Please I beg you...please don't go. Taichi, stay with me!"

"Sorry princess," Taichi whispered. "I'll see you when you enter the demon world once again." Taichi closed his eyes and his breathing stopped. Mei grabbed his hand, the tears starting to flow down her face.

"Taichi! Taichi!" Kalik and Takashi lowered their heads and Kazuma put his arm around Mei as Mei buried her face in Taichi's unmoving chest. "TAICHI!!" Mei screamed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

521K 17.4K 19
Not only is she bleeding on the inside, she's bleeding on the outside as well. Irma Sveta, a child stuck in a matured 18 year old body; a young woman...
21.1K 327 21
Victoria, she's gotten used to that name. It was hundreds of years since her real name's been used, and considering how she left home, it wasn't surp...
846 303 34
Being both human and demon is not an easy task. Especially when you're not excepted by one and have to hide your true self from the next. Anima Matoi...
31.2K 1.2K 31
A story of a boy this is. A boy who only knew all his life was about nothing. Paying off a debt he never knew how he got it. Constantly the top fight...