Evermore ღ Newt TMR³

By WrathfulDeity

❛You've got a way to keep me on your side You give me cause for love that I can't hide For you I know I'd... More

About Evermore
Author's Note
Trailer
Playlist
1. Pieces of the Puzzle
3. It's Too Easy
4. They Left Us Here
5. Promise?
6. More Optimism
7. Where's the Third Amigo?
8. Wasting Time
9. Not Him Again
10. Didn't Lose Your Charm
11. The Crank Palace
12. Where is He?
13. Don't You Dare
14. That's Convenient
15. No Way
16. Too Many Questions
17. The Sooner, the Better
18. We Always Have a Choice
19. No More To Give
20. It's No Use
21. Soulless Eyes
22. Never in a Million Years
23. Time Flies
24. Teach WICKED a Lesson
25. What's the Plan?
26. Safety in Numbers
27. Good That
The End
Shameless Self-Promo

2. World of Darkness

1.8K 63 14
By WrathfulDeity

*Sorry that this is a couple of hours late, I've been binge watching 'Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events' on Netflix! It's sooooo good!*

Whoo, chapter two, let's go!

Question of the Chapter: Who watch PLL? How full on is it getting guys!? I mean, seriously! (Don't comment any spoilers though, just in case others aren't up to date)

----------

"The following people are not immune. Newt ...."

The words play over and over in her head, like a broken record; she completely ignores the rest of the names, knowing she recognised none of them. Nothing matters at that exact moment; nothing but the fact that Newt is not immune. He is going to get the Flare. He is going to become a Crank.

He's going to die.

Lori feels her head become light, and she stumbles, collapsing to her knees as all her limbs become limp. She stares at the floor, not wanting to move, hoping that if she stood still, then so would time.
It didn't work.

"Tommy, slim yourself," she hears Newt say. Lori looks through her curtain of hair, to see that Thomas is leaning over, his hands on his knees, as if he is hyperventilating.

He snaps back into a vertical position, almost glaring at Newt as he sees his friend standing there with his arms crossed, trying to fake a smile. "Slim myself? That old shank just said you're not immune to the Flare." As Thomas speaks, Minho is suddenly beside Lori, helping her to her feet. She still feels queasy and faint after hearing the announcement, so Minho continues to keep an arm around her waist to hold her up. "How can you-"

Newt cuts him off before he can rant further, "I'm not worried about the bloody Flare, man. I never thought I'd still be alive at this buggin' point – and living hasn't exactly been so great anyway."
This comment causes Lori to break out of her stupor. What happened to making to memories? What happened to being together finally? And his life hasn't been that great? What about all his friends? What about us?

Thomas puts on the fakest of smiles, highly over-exaggerating as he does so. "If you're cool with slowly going crazy and wanting to eat small children, then I guess we won't cry for you."

"Good that," Newt replies as the creepy fake smile sliding off his lips.
His complete disregard of acknowledging what had just happened was the last straw in Lori's mind. She asks Minho to let her go, as kindly as she can whilst being pissed off, and he does without hesitation. She looks a Newt for the smallest second with eyes full of poison and spite, but one second was all she could manage; any longer and she would have burst in to tears. As she attempts to leave the room, Rat Man grabs her arm.

"No one leaves yet. Please rejoin the others. Now." Lori does as told, staying silent the whole time. Rat Man turns to address the whole group, "I wanted to get that out of the way. Mainly so I could tell you myself and remind you that the whole point of the operation has been to build toward a cure. Most of you are immune and in the early stages of the Flare, and I have every confidence that you'll be taken care of before it goes too far. But the Trials required your participation."

"And what if you don't figure it out?" Minho asks.

Rat Man doesn't bother to answer him though, which makes Lori doubt their confidence. He walks to the nearest bed, placing a hand upon the device hanging down from the roof of the 'operating' room. "This is something we're very proud of here – a feat of scientific and medical engineering. It's called a Retractor, and it will be performing this procedure. It'll be placed on your face – and I promise you'll still look just as pretty when everything is done. Small wires within the device will descend and enter your ear canals. From there they will remove the machinery in your brain. Our doctors and nurses will give you a sedative to calm your nerves and something to dull the discomfort."

He waits to see if anyone wants to say anything. He's probably waiting to see if Minho will bite with another smart mouthed comment. "You will fall into a trancelike state as the nerves repair themselves and your memories return, similar to what some of you went through during what you called the Changing back in the Maze. But not nearly as bad, I promise. Much of that was for the purpose of stimulating brain patterns. We have several more rooms like this one, and a whole team of doctors waiting to get started. Now, I'm sure you have a million questions, but most of them will be answered by your own memories, so I'm going to wait until after the procedure for any more Q and A. Give me a few more moments to make sure the medical teams are ready. You can take this time to make your decisions."

Lori is beginning to question whether or not she's going to get her memories back again. Newt was going to leave her. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but the Flare is going to take him from her; just like WICKED had taken her from him.
Was it worth not getting her memories back, since she's going to lose him sooner than they both expected? Although, she is unsure whether or not she wants to remember all that; everything they've been told makes it seems like something that isn't worth remembering.

Minho comes up beside her, a solemn look on his face. He was never one to hide behind a smiling façade to hide how he truly felt. They are honest with each other. "How are you feeling? After, you know-"

"I don't know. We spoke about reconnecting and making new memories, and then he goes and says that he doesn't care that he has the Flare. He doesn't care he's going to die."

Minho rubs the back of his head, "I don't know if those were his exact words ..."
She lowers her head, afraid that the tears will start, and she won't be able to stop them. "Hey, hey, it's gonna be okay." He pulls her into a tight embrace. "The shuckfaces are close to the cure, remember? If they're true to their word, then he's gonna be fine, and you shanks can live happily ever after. Okay?"
She nods into his shoulder, not wanting to speak anymore. He steps away from her and takes her hand in his, walking back over to Clara, Thomas, Frypan, Teresa – and Newt. Minho gets straight to the point, addressing Thomas and Teresa. "You shanks know more and remember more than anybody else. Teresa, I've never made secret of it – I don't like you. But I want to hear what you think anyway."

Lori laughs internally, so glad that she has Minho in her life. He is such a good person to have around in a crisis. Clara is a lucky girl. She smiles a little on the outside, happy that her friends have been able to find a spark of something over then despair in their world of darkness.

"We should do it," the raven-haired betrayer answers without faltering. Thomas' composure seems to droop at her words. That obviously wasn't the answer he wanted to hear. Lori knows the feeling. "IT feels like the right thing to me. We need our memories back so we can be smart about things. Decide what to do next."

"Teresa," Thomas begins. "I know you're not stupid, But I also know you're in love with WICKED. I'm not sure what you're up to, but I'm not buying it."

"Me neither," Minho adds. "They can manipulate us, play with our shuck brains, dude! How would we even know if they're giving us back our own memories or shoving new ones inside us?"
Lori had to be honest, she hadn't thought of that before. Minho has definitely thought all this through.

Teresa lets out a breath of frustration. "You guys are missing the whole point! If they can control us, if they can do whatever they want with us, make us do anything, then why would they even bother with this whole charade of giving us a choice? Plus, he said they'd also be taking out the part that lets them control us. It feels legit to me."

"Maybe it's just another Trial," Lori mutters. Teresa asks what she said, so she repeated herself once more, but louder.

They all take a moment to let the thought sink in.; all but Teresa, who just rolls her eyes. "They just told us the Trials were over."

"Minho shakes his head, "Well, I never trusted you anyway. And certainly not them. I'm with Thomas."

"What about Aris?" Newt hasn't spoken the whole time, so to hear his voice in the conversation feels foreign. And to be honest, Lori doesn't really want to hear his voice at this moment in time.; especially if he was about to say something about her brother. He may have betrayed them, and she may not have forgiven him yet, but on some level he is still her brother. "Didn't you say he was with you guys before you came to the Maze? What does he think?"

When they spot him over with his Group B friends, Teresa volunteers to go and speak to him. They watch her walk over to the Group, where they seem to be having a fairly heated whispered conversation.
"I hate that chick," Minho says bitterly.

"Come on, she's not that bad," Frypan says, trying to defend her a little.

Minho just rolls his eyes at the chef. "If she's doing it, I'm not."
Lori nods to communicate the she agrees, wanting to talk as little as possible.

"Me neither," Newt says. "And I'm the one who supposedly has the Flare, so I have more stake in it than anybody. But I'm not falling for one more trick."
Does he have to repeatedly remind them that he has the Flare?

"Let's just hear what she says," Thomas sighs. "Here she comes."

She walks over, little hesitation in her step. She looks like she knows something that they don't. "He sounded even more sure than us. They're all for it."
I'm not really sure who the 'us' she is referring to is, considering that none of us have been sure about anything yet.

"Well, that settles it for me," Minho replies. "If Aris and Teresa are for it, I'm against." Lori nods once more.

Teresa turns to Thomas, as if expecting that looking at him like a wounded puppy will make him side with her. She comes away empty-handed, as he says nothing to her. "Suit yourselves." And with that last comment, she walks away.

"Ah, man," Frypan says all of a sudden. "We can't let them put those things on our faces, can we? I'd just be happy back in my kitchen in the Homestead. I swear I would."

"You forget about the Grievers?" Newt questions, raising a brow.

This makes Frypan pause for a moment. "They never messed with me in the kitchen, now, did they?" He retorts, a cheeky smirk playing at his mouth.

"Yeah, well, we'll just have to find you a new place to cook." The blonde grabs Thomas and Minho by the arms, pulling them away from the group. Clara and Lori look to each other, before following closely behind.
"I've heard enough bloody arguments. I'm not getting on one of those beds."

Minho squeezes Newt's shoulder reassuringly. "Me neither."

"Same here," the other boy agrees. "We'll stick around, play along and act nice, but as soon as we get a chance, we're going to fight our way out of this place."

Before anyone has the chance to say whether they concur with Thomas' decision or not, Rat Man re-enters the room.  But no one had to ask; they knew they would always stick together, even if it's risky.
Rat Man is followed by several WICKED members, dressed in their awful green, one-piece lab suits. Each doctor dispersed from behind him, walking to stand in their designated posts beside a bed. They all starte to adjust the machinery, doing God knows what. For all Lori knows, they could be doing something that could brainwash them further.

Rat Man calls attention to himself, as per usual. "We've already assigned each of you a bed. Those staying in this room are ...." He reads multiple names off of a list, including Sonya, Lori's brother, and the girl she had helped make it to the Berg. No Gladers. "If I didn't call your name, please follow me."

They leave the room, and go further down the hallway until they reach a second door. More names are rattled off, including Frypan and Newt.
Newt's facial expression turns to one of anger as he looks at the tall man. "I'm not doing it. You said we could choose and that's my bloody decision."

"That's fine, you'll change your mind soon enough." The Rat Man seems sure of himself; almost too sure. "Stay with me until we've finished distributing everyone else."

"What about you, Frypan?" Thomas asks the cook..

Frypan looks nervous, avoiding the eyes of his friends. "I ... think I'm going to let them do it."

"Are you crazy?" Minho exclaims.

He shakes his head, puffing his chest a little so he doesn't seem as meek as he did a couple of seconds ago. "I want to remember. Make your own choice; let me make mine."

"Let's move along," Rat Man orders. All the people who had been named disappear into the room, preparing to have their memories restored.

A couple of doors later, Clara and Lori's names are called, and she feels her chest ache at the thought of having to decide. Clara immediately denies, but Lori stands there, stuttering like a shank. "I ... Um ..."

"If you say no, like your friend over there," He points to Newt, "You will change your mind later. So, why not save time and just go on in there?"

I'm real sick of having everyone tell me what to do. I don't need my memories to be happier. I don't want to remember why we did this; why these Trials exist. And I don't want to remember my family, because if I do, that means I have to acknowledge that they exist, and that will be harder than anything else. I don't want to believe that that WICKED woman is my mother, but if she's no, then my real mother is most likely dead. The in between, is not knowing, and I think I prefer that.
"No," she shakes her head. "No. No more playing with my brain. You've done enough." Those words are the most she has said since the announcement.
She looks to her friends, who wear small grins.

"So be it. Let's move on shall we?"

The reach the final room, which has been reserved for Minho, Thomas, Teresa, Harriet and a couple of other girls from Group B.
"No thanks," Minho says as the Rat Man tells them all to enter the operating room. "But I appreciate the invitation. You guys have a good rime in there." He gives the girls from Group B a mocking wave as they walk into the room.

"I'm not doing it, either," Thomas proclaims, standing his ground. Rat Man looks at Thomas, a curious look overwhelming his features. What is that vermin thinking?

"You okay, there, Mr. Rat Man?" Minho asks, obviously not actually concerned with the man's well-being.

"My name is Assistant Director Janson," He responds through gritted teeth, eyes remaining trained on Thomas. He looks like he's finally had it with Minho and his smart-mouth. "Learn to show respect for your elders."

"You quit treating people like animals and maybe I'll consider," the boy bites back, crossing his arms across his chest. Lori couldn't have said it better. "And why are you goggling at Thomas?"

Janson's eyes finally leave Thomas, panning over to Minho. "Because there are many things to consider. But very well. We said you could choose for yourselves, and we'll stand by that. Everyone come inside and we'll get things started on with those willing to participate."
They all follow, looking to each other as they do so. Thomas' plan; its time is coming.

Lori looks around the room. Everything is the exact same as every other room, like they cloned them or something. Except something specific stands out in this room. Well, more like someone.
Brenda comes bounding across the room, capturing Thomas in a hug.

"Brenda, what are you doing!" Janson yells at her. "Get back to your post!"
Lori looks at her, confused as to why she is dressed in the green suit. Does she really have the Flare? Or is she immune? Does she work for WICKED? The girl appears to be saying something to Thomas, but Lori is not close enough to be able to hear anything.
"Brenda!" By this point, it's safe to say that he's screaming.

"Sorry," she apologises passively. "I'm just glad to see he made it through Phase Three. I forgot myself." She returns to her post, her head bowed as she walks away.

"We hardly have time for such things," Janson scoffs. Rat Man suits him so much better.

Teresa strides up to Thomas, whispering harsh looking words to him. He doesn't the same back. Lori can't help but be overjoyed that he doesn't trust Teresa anymore. They fight a little longer, before Thomas finally end its. "Go let them play with your brain."

Teresa shoots him a look which could freeze Hell over. "Judge me all you want. I'm just doing what feels right."
Janson assigns a bed to each patient who is participating, leaving Lori, Clara, Thomas, Minho and Newt to the side to view.

"You rebels are being watched," Janson informs them. "Don't even think about trying anything. Armed guards are on their way."

Janson turns his attention away from the five. "That's a bunch of klunk," Minho whispers to them as soon as he's not looking. "I think we should take our chances, see what happens."

"We waited too bloody long," Newt growls in a low whisper.

Thomas whispers back, "They would've caught us out there anyway, just be patient."

All of a sudden, guards are walking into the room, armed with menacing weapons. Janson points to the one closet to him. "These are called Launchers. These guards will not hesitate to fire them if any of you cause trouble. The weapons won't kill you, but trust me when I say that they'll give you the most uncomfortable five minutes of your life."

"What's going on? You just told us we could make this choice ourselves. Why the sudden army?"

"Because I don't trust you," Janson replies simply. "We hoped you would do things voluntarily once your memories were back. It would just make things easier. But I never said we don't still need you."

"What a surprise," Minho scowls. "You lied again."

"I haven't lied about a thing. You made your decision, now live with the consequences." Janson turns and points to the door, "Guards, escort Thomas and the others to their rooms, where they can dwell on their mistakes until tomorrow morning's tests. Use whatever force is necessary."

None of them move, so shocked by the turn of events. They should have seen it coming though; it's typical WICKED behavior. The three female guards raise their guns higher, aiming for each of them. "Don't make us use these," one of the women says. "You have zero room for error. One false move and we pull the trigger." There are four male guards who walk up to the Gladers; one for each boy, and one between the two girls.

They're all pulled out the door and into the hallway. They reach the boy's room, where one of the female guards unlocks the door with a key card. The room contains two sets of bunk beds, a small kitchen and a table and chairs beside the kitchen. The boys are shoved into the room. "In you go. We'll have some food brought to you. Be glad we don't starve you for a few days after the way you've been acting. Tests tomorrow, so you better get some sleep tonight."

The door is slammed shut, and the girls are dragged to their room down the hall. The guards open the door, to reveal a room which is a replica of the last. "In. Now." The girls do as they're told, turning to look at the people standing in the doorway. "You girls better get some sleep too. Big things are coming tomorrow," She smirks.

The people leave and Lori and Clara are left alone. They talk about everything that had happened today, before deciding that they should probably take the advice and get some sleep.

/\/\/\/\/\

It took a while, but Lori eventually was able to get some sleep. She didn't exactly sleep like a baby, but it's the most comfortable nights sleep she has had in a long time. Being in an actual bed was nice, but not when it's located somewhere that makes you uneasy.

Unfortunately, she had to awaken to the nails-on-chalkboard voice that belongs to Janson. "Good morning, ladies. I've discussed the matter with my colleagues, and we've decided to return your memories after all. Whether you like it or not."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.6K 3K 25
❛The lost dreams are buried in my sleep for him, And this was the ecstasy of a love forgotten❜ Highest Ranking: #2 scorchtrials The Ever Series...
77.9K 1.7K 78
Imagine... You are sent up into the Maze instead of Teresa. You're scared alone and the only girl. But one boy in particular makes you feel welcome...
300K 6.2K 39
☆~°His Cure°~☆ ☆~°Newt X Reader°~☆ ~°☆°~ (Y/N) was one of the first Gladers, she was only 13 when she arrived not long after Alby and Minho, Newt cam...
40.9K 701 19
A year and a half have passed since Y/N got captured by W.I.C.K.E.D along with Minho. Newt have been restless, he's training really hard so he can h...