Recompense [Fólkvangr End, Bo...

By kearabee

A looming darkness has gathered, and the storm is headed for Asgard. Thor needs help, and more than that, he... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty

Epilogue

65.6K 2.6K 2.7K
By kearabee

Author's Note: Well. Hi. I feel like we are on a weird first date. I am putting everything I can into this...this baby, and then I just give it to you for your judgment. It's strange. It's more strange that this is the end of my baby. Stranger yet, it's been nearly one year since this began, with no Loki fanfiction experience but merely the love for the character and everything Marvel. SO! I figured I'd just spew some fun facts that you probably won't read anyway, but I like to pretend you will.

1. The final word count was 104,889 words. This is, surprisingly, longer than most classic novels. Though, definitely not longer than Ulysses. (Ha. Literature jokes.)

2. The word Loki appears in the text an overwhelming 1,181 times. The next closest word was Thor, which appears only 511 times.

3. There is over 20,000 other words of text that did not make it into the final story since when I wrote these bits I had a very different idea for the story. Very different. Like, strange. If it means anything, Sigyn played a much larger role, I had intentions of killing different characters and in the end, and Loki and Val never loved each other. Regardless to say, I am much more pleased with this story now.

4. The story totalled just about 202 pages on Word! AH.

Right! Now, here it finally is. The final installment of Recompense. Please enjoy, and make sure to comment and vote. And thank you again, most of all, for sticking with me, believing in me, and coming along for the ride. I couldn't have done it without you. <3

NEW! Check out the sequel to Recompense, entitled "Emprise". It can be found on my personal page. Thanks so much!

_______________________

“No, no, no!” I shake my head, staring up at the beast. “This is not happening. Sorry, but no.”

“Please?” Thor asks, clutching the reins in his hands. “It is my day of birth, Lady Val. I would be greatly honored if you and my brother both accompany me on this hunt.”

I shudder at the very thought of it, “Hunting is not my thing. Nor are horses, really.”

“Oh, come along then!” Loki teases from atop his horse and I glare at him which just widens his smile. 

“Can’t I just like sacrifice my goat, or my first born son or something?” I beg. Loki chokes but I ignore him. “That’s what us humble Midgardians do on the birthday of gods, right?”

“There will be no sacrificing of anything, especially not your children,” Thor says firmly, furrowing his brow. He doesn’t seem particularly amused by my antics. Something tugs at me, an uneasiness in the pit of my stomach. In honesty, I think the last time I rode a horse was with Fandral. Loki doesn’t make much use of horses—teleporting here or there. And I get that I now live in a warrior-praised, testosterone driven world and hunting is a great sport, but I’m not sure I have it in me to kill, or watch anything be killed, right about now. There is such a fragile line between life and death, and a fragmented one between sport and cruelty.

Loki frowns, seeming to sense my unease, and he reaches down, offering me his gloved hand. “Come, ride with me, then.”

I sigh and take his hand, and I assume one of the riding party makes a crass joke, gauging from the stifled laughter and Loki’s tight and frustrated smile. I have to give him credit for not killing anyone, honestly. I know how much of his rage is still pent up inside him. He certainly has not forgiven or forgotten all the wrongs, and they weigh heavily on his conscience. That is not to say that Loki is on the brink of world domination again, by any means. But I can see how troubled he is sometimes, though he is hesitant to reveal it to me. Some nights we lay up together and speak our minds, which I find to be a great comfort to him, his own brand of therapy. 

He gives my hand an extra squeeze as he pulls me onto the saddle in front of him. He offers me the reigns and when I quirk an eyebrow he merely shrugs and says nothing. Volstagg lets out a hearty laugh, “Loki, playing the woman again, eh?” This too raises laughter from the men. 

“A story for another time,” Loki murmurs into my ear, gliding his hands over my waist, pulling himself tightly against my back. The laughter ceases and I look up to see Odin has joined the crowd, atop his gilded, white, eight-legged horse. Eight…eight legs. Loki, as though he read my mind, dismisses my question before it escapes my lips as pure coincidence. Every time I believe I have it all figured out I realize Loki has so much more to tell me. I stow the questions for another late night.

Once the entirety of the party has been rounded up we head off into the woods, in the opposite direction of the Bifrost. We pass through a few of the smaller villages on the outskirts of the palace, people gathering in the streets to watch us pass. And by some grace they cheer us. They sing the praises of Thor and Odin and many of the soldiers. A minstrel dances pass, chanting tunes that already recount the battle—albeit more glorified than I would like. He stops when he sees me and stoops into a low bow. 

“My Lady Valkyrie!” He cheers and the crowd hushes, now staring at me. I shift uncomfortably, pulling the horse to a stop. 

Uneasily, I joke, “Have you no ballads for me, good sir?” I laugh, feeling a little like I’m playing pretend at a Renaissance fair. 

“No, for what mere tune could sing your praises properly? These people hail you as our warrior princess,” he proclaims. Well, clearly nobody around here has heard of Xena. 

“You do me too much kindness. But thank you, very much.” I spur the horse into action but the melodious voice of the minstrel lifts up on the breeze, following us out of the town.

“The Lady Valkyrie was wise and fair,

She could tame a beast with naught but her tongue,

And in the raging battle, for herself she did not care,

The fearless girl still prefers her praises unsung!”

As we pass through and into the forest the verses extolling my virtues fade away and I feel as though I can breathe again. I did not expect the people to embrace me in such a way. “I suppose it is fortuitous that our people admire you so.”

“Why does it matter if they like me?”

I dismiss it as idle admiration, battle glory, something that will soon lose its charm. But Loki shakes his head behind me. “It matters because at least then they embrace one of the two of us. They may hate me with bitterest distaste, but they will tolerate me for the mere fact that you love me.”

“That’s not…” I somehow can’t bring myself to argue against Loki. Honestly, he’s kind of right. “Don’t be ridiculous,” I finally manage.

We ride further and further into the forest, through thickets and groves of exquisite fauna. Flowers of brilliant shades sway in the fields, reaching high enough to brush against the bottoms of my boots in the stirrups. I halt the horse a moment, watching Thor and the gang advance without us. I twist in the saddle, looking at Loki over my shoulder.

“What if we just turned off in a different direction right now?”

“What do you mean?”

“What if,” I propose again, “we just rode off and kept on riding until we decided to stop? What if we just left all of this behind us and didn’t look back?”

“Are you insinuating this is what you wish to do?” Loki asks stiffly, surprised by the idea. 

I smirk, “No, I’m just wondering what would happen. So much would change, but really, would anything change at all?”

Loki is quiet for a moment and the whispering breeze is the only thing that passes between us. “You are quite the one for hypotheticals lately.”

“I’m a regular waxing philosopher now,” I laugh, my voice carrying across the open field. Loki joins in my laughter and I devolve into a regular fit of giggles. I’m not certain why I’m so happy, but I can’t say I mind. It’s much more enjoyable than the all-consuming depression I’ve been fond of up until this point. I think I’ve learned that I can grieve and mourn the loss of my friends and loved ones, but I cannot dwell in loss forever. In fact, I’ve got an eternity that’s only just beginning.

“Are you joining us or are you merely going to laugh like madmen in this empty field?” Odin appears beside us and I stop laughing, tears spilling from the corners of my eyes. 

“We…we are coming right along, my king.” I inhale deeply trying to regain some semblance of composure.

He nods and pulls the reins on his horse, turning back in the direction of the rest of the party. He trots a few steps before halting the steed and turning back around to look at us. “You may call me Odin, child. I shan’t be your king for much longer.” Then Odin turns back and gallops out of sight, taking the path the others took moments ago. Loki and I don’t say anything but prod the horse into a gallop to follow after our friends. As we ride my braid pulls itself loose, and whips about in the wind, sticking to my cheek and to my neck. Loki reaches around and gently pulls the loose hairs back and out of the way and just then we break into the clearing where the rest of the party is getting off of their horses. Loki dismounts and then offers me his hand as I swing my leg over the large beast. The horses are tethered to trees and I stand with my hands on my hips, carefully observing each of the men. The men are all surprisingly well-dressed for a hunt, and truthfully, not many even carry weapons or hunting tools with them. With my suspicions properly aroused, I walk arm in arm with Loki beyond the clearing, following closely on Thor’s tail.

Thor stops suddenly and turns, grinning like an idiot. “For now, we stop and rest.”

“Rest? This isn’t much of a bloody hunting trip, if you ask me,” I say pointedly.

Volstagg roars with laughter, “Good thing we didn’t ask you.”

Ha,” I mutter sarcastically. I cross my arms over my chest, suddenly feeling a little exasperated. Loki slides his arm around my shoulders and rubs them soothingly. I turn my head so I can whisper into his ear, “And they dragged us out of bed for this.”

Loki smiles and then we find seats in the shaded grass beside Thor, leaning our backs against the strong trees dotting the area. Loki’s hand comes to rest on my thigh, just above my knee, and I watch his fingers curiously. They are long and strong, the tendons of his hands defined against his pale skin. His thumb rubs against the inside of my thigh lightly and I sigh contentedly. 

“Brother,” Thor whispers across me. Loki rolls his eyes and ignores him. “Brother!

Loki turns his head deliberately and slowly, looking positively petulant. “What is it you so desire, Thor?”

“I wished to bestow my thanks unto you.” I look between the brothers and Loki’s eyes widen. “There are many things I could thank you for, but most pressingly, I wish to thank you for celebrating with me and your beautiful bride-to-be.”

Loki looks as though he may cry, tears welling up in his eyes. He blinks them back and straightens his posture, turning his head slightly to the side. “Thor…how would you like your gift now?”

Thor furrows his brow in confusion and I look at Loki quizzically, not certain to what he is referring. Loki smiles and his smile spreads into his eyes. He raises his hand and snaps his fingers and I turn my head, gazing beyond Thor. A beautiful woman stands behind Thor, smiling brilliantly, her hands clasped to her chest.

“Thor,” I breathe. He looks at me, still confused, and I point behind him, my breath catching in my throat. He turns to look and is instantly upon his feet, half tackling the woman into the grass. He pulls her into his chest and buries her there and it registers somewhere that I am crying. I feel the hot tears dripping from my chin and I turn back around to look at Loki in disbelief. I grab him by the arm, shaking him.

“You did this?” He nods. “For Thor?”

I resist my every bodily urge to tackle him to the ground and rip his clothes off right here and instead I just tug at my collar and fan myself lightly. Loki smirks and I turn away, climbing to my feet so I may get a chance to meet the lady in question. I wait for Thor to get over his initial shock phase and there is just enough space between the two so that I can wedge myself in to introduce myself. Thor’s eyes never leave her but she pulls herself away to smile at me.

I stick my hand out, “Hi, I’m Valkyrie, it’s nice to meet you!”

“Jane Foster.”

“So you’re the exquisite Lady Jane that has stolen our Thor’s heart!” I exclaim, foregoing the handshake and embracing her in a hug. She hugs me back and laughs.

“I have heard much about you, Valkyrie.”

I pull away, “Oh?”

Her eyes trail over to Loki and I whip around to glare at Loki who is smugly leaning against the tree. I don’t know how one leans in a smug fashion but he somehow manages to do it, regardless. Damn him. 

“If it wasn’t for Loki I would not be here now,” Jane says. She pulls on my sleeve slightly, gripping it in her small hand, and I look down at her tiny frame. She speaks in quiet tones, though I know both gods can hear her clearly, “I am…grateful to Loki, I assure you. But I just figured I should apologize now—I can’t…I can’t quite forgive him for what he’s done. I’m sure…I’m sure if someone like you loves him, then, well, he must have changed. But still, he, uh…well, you know…”

I smile at her, in an attempt to soothe her clearly flustered manner. “It’s no matter, I do understand. Loki is…” Well, how do I phrase in a way that makes sense anywhere outside of my head? He’s a tragically misunderstood person. Well, that’s bullshit. I mean, it’s true, but it sounds like condescending bullshit. And it’s not all there is to it. Loki is misunderstood, but still, there are dark parts of him that are not so easily explained away. I bite down on my lip. He’s a beautiful soul and incredible lover. My eyes widen at the thought of nearly blurting that out. Loki snorts and I roll my eyes. 

“Loki is…hard to explain, I’m afraid. I wish there was a better way to put it. But you have to take him for both the good and bad, even when they are hard to remedy,” I shrug and look at Loki over my shoulder, extending my hand toward him. He leaves the shadowy recluse of the tree and comes to my side. “But this…bringing you here, Jane, this is one of his many good deeds.” I press a kiss to his temple and he leans into me slightly.

“No more world domination, please?” I tease and Loki’s jaw flexes but he manages a stifled laugh. “Thank you, love.”

I look back and Jane and Thor are back to canoodling and being impossibly close without actually having sex right in front of me. Well…you know…good on them for being reunited and such. Good on Loki. No, really. Good on Loki.

“Good on you,” I whisper into the nape of his neck. He turns me towards him and I smile up at him. I could really never get sick of that face. 

“If you desire, now would be our opportune time to escape to somewhere more…private,” Loki purrs and sends a shudder down my spine. 

I reach up and tuck his loose hair behind his ear and I lean in close, our lips barely separated by air. “Perhaps we should tone it down a little, for the sake of the children, hmm?” His lips part and spread into a wide smile, a chuckle in his throat. He kisses my forehead and then Odin clears his throat loudly and presumptuously. The four of us present ourselves to Odin who assumes a prominent position in the midst of the area. The other men settle into the dirt, forming a sort of circle around Odin, and I find my way back against the tree with Loki, Thor and Jane cuddling to my right. Mostly Jane looks around in wonder and I can’t say I blame her. She’s been brought to Asgard on a whim—I can’t imagine what the conversation between her and Loki went like.

“How did you get her to trust you?” I ask curiously. 

Loki half-smiles, “Let me say I may have been worse for wear when she was finally done with me.”

“And you did it for Thor? No ulterior motives?” He shakes his head. I lean my head against his shoulder. “My oh my, look how far you’ve come.”

“You speak as though you are entirely responsible.”

“Oh, I most certainly am,” I tease. Loki opens his mouth to utter some sarcastic remark but Odin begins to weave a tale in his booming voice.

“On this land, many eras ago, I made a choice. A foolish choice, many have often proclaimed, but it was my burden to bear. It is not often I tell this tale, but I wish to do so today, not only for Thor, but for both my sons, and most importantly, for my daughter,” Odin proclaims, his voice reverberating back to us in the quiet woods. I can feel the timbre of his voice deep within my chest—it reaches out to me and comforts me. For once, I feel at ease with Odin.

Then it strikes me. Odin doesn’t have a daughter… “He means me?” I ask in a loud whisper and Loki is as surprised as I. He doesn’t even look at me, his eyes glued to Odin. Perhaps it’s just the glinting sunlight but I could swear that is a haze of tears in Loki’s eyes. I listen to Odin’s voice and watch Loki carefully, entranced by his reaction.

“Valkyrie has proven herself worthy time and again—selflessly, I may add. Often, as the case is, we seek the acceptance of others, we seek to prove ourselves valuable in an other’s eyes. Valkyrie has proven herself without seeking recognition, and I do believe that without her selfless, if sometimes foolhardy, acts, today I would be without both my sons. Valkyrie ended a war that we began, a war that she truly had no place in. But she fought and she sacrificed and she saved my sons, and she lent her hand to the deliverance of Asgard.” He pauses here, finally stopping and resting his gaze upon me. I turn from Loki to meet his gaze directly and levelly, nodding my head slightly in humble recognition of his praise. “This day is for celebration of Thor, but Thor has insisted, and I agree, that this day cannot pass without the commendation of Valkyrie Gymirdottir. We welcome you as an official member of our council, honor you with our respect, and name you as our…what was it?”

“Our Midgardian liaison, and secretary of war,” Thor finishes for Odin who nods. I am still slack-jawed, surprised and honestly overwhelmed. I look to Loki for some sort of help, but his eyes are lightly shut, the roots of his dark eyelashes wet with what is now undoubtedly tears. 

“I…uh…I…uh?” Odin looks at me expectantly. “I am honored to accept.”

Thor lets out a triumphant cry and throws his arm around my shoulders, half-squeezing me sideways. Odin bows his head graciously and then directs his attention more generally at the rest of the circle. Out of the corner of my eye I watch Jane cuddling into Thor’s side and I wish it was so happy and easy for Loki and I. I take a chance, watching the tears drip down his cheek, and I lean over, kissing his tears away gently. His eyes flutter open and we look into one another—at once understanding and not truly understanding at all.

“Valkyrie asked me if I had ever truly adjusted to the blindness of my eye, the eye I sacrificed at Mímir's well in the pursuit of wisdom and knowledge…” I know the story is for my benefit, but I cease listening and instead turn all my attention toward Loki. I twine my fingers through his and adopt Jane’s posture, fitting myself into the curve of Loki’s side as best as I can. I am not petite and gentle like Jane, nor is Loki fives times my size. But we fit together nicely, as we have for many nights—though in fairness we are usually unburdened by clothes. Loki turns his face towards mine and the bridge of his nose brushes mine for just a moment. 

“At Yggdrasil where I hung inverted for days on end…” I drift out of listening again and run my fingers through the tall blades of grass, still slightly dewy from the morning having remained undisturbed in the shade. I begin plucking flowers by the stem, mindful of the delicate blossoms themselves. They are light in my hands, the petals vaguely translucent, exposing their gossamer veins. I begin tying the stems together carefully—pink, then white, then pink, back to white…I let my mind fall to numbly working them together while I listen to Odin once more.

“…from those days on I was granted finite but expansive wisdom, and power beyond my reckoning. This power came in the form of knowledge, the most boundless and fruitful form of power there is—”

"What are you doing?" Loki whispers, breaking both my focus on Odin's tale and the mindless work of my fingers. 

"Hush," I press a finger to his lips and return to weaving. "I really need Odin to impress his wisdom upon me. At least if I'm going to be blind, I might as well be smart."

"You're more intelligent than I, my love," he teases, fingering one of my now loose curls. 

"Don't flatter me idly, Loki."

"Besides, why waste your time with wreaths of flowers?"

"It's a flower crown!"

"No matter. Why waste time with flower crowns when soon enough you'll have a real one?"

I shrug, tying the last two stems together. "You know, I don't really think I want the burden that comes with a real crown."

"Luckily for you, your chosen love will never inherit any real power," Loki remarks snidely. I know it is a sore spot for him, but progress shows he can make a joke about it. I lean my head back against the rough tree trunk and nudge Loki, prompting him to swing his arm around my shoulders. 

"I, Valkyrie Sutton, queen of flower crowns, doth bequeath unto you, Loki Laufeyson, prince of Asgard, this diadem borne of the purest blossoms!" I nestle his crown into his wind-swept black hair and we exchange a chaste kiss before Thor clears his throat beside me.

I roll my head back and to the side, “Yes, Thor?” He makes a vague gesture with his head and I glance around and everyone is standing, evidently waiting for us. We climb lazily to our feet and Loki flushes and takes the flower crown from his head, nestling it instead into my hair. I catch his wrist and press a kiss into the palm of his hands that he wraps his fingers firmly around.

I move to head back toward the horses but instead everyone wanders off in the opposite direction, further into the forest. I sigh and Loki takes my hand and we follow again as everyone abandons the clearing and heads further into the woods.

“You know, this has actually been sort of nice,” I comment off-handedly to Loki. “A rather nice reprieve from…everything.”

Loki, seeming suddenly pensive, nods, his lips pressed into a firm line. We pass the line of trees and for a split second, everything is darkness. Like someone shut off the lights of the universe. I squeeze Loki’s hand tightly, my fingernails digging into his palms. And then the lights return—the sky is darker, as though we passed into a different time zone beyond the trees, but the trees are strung with what appear to be glittering lights. Upon further inspection I realize them to each be twinkling bits of magic; tiny, pulsating, glowing orbs resting among the branches and settled in the grass. But most of all I note the towering, massive tree in the middle of it all. Its trunk is twisted in upon itself in a poetic fashion, spindling out into roots taller than myself that stretch out into the distance.

“Yggdrasil,” I breathe, progressing further into this new and magical place. I let go of Loki’s hand and rush forth, spinning about to get a good look at it all. When my eyes fall back to his face, glowing in the magic lighting, he looks as surprised and oddly enchanted as I. “It’s terribly stunning…”

“Indeed, it is,” Loki agrees quietly. Thor and Jane cross towards us and Loki looks to him, “What is the meaning of this?”

Thor opens his mouth but then Frigga appears at his side and lays a gentle hand on his arm, “I am afraid that this is my doing.”

“None of this is making me feel any better, I’d just like to throw that out there,” I say, “If you’ve finally decided to get rid of me then let’s get it over with.” I am only half-joking…I hope.

Frigga lets out a delightful laugh, “Nonsense! Quite the opposite actually.” She claps her hands together and the area is illuminated further, revealing dozens of people spotted along the grassy base of Yggdrasil. They are dressed in their finery, everyone gathered and looking lovely. But to what end?

Loki voices my question for me and in turn Frigga smiles demurely. “I was supposing that perhaps you two would wish to complete the rite you began so long ago.”

Stunned, I take a step back, “I…”

“What are your thoughts on the matter?” Loki asks quietly, drawing me aside. I look up at him, my mouth still agape. 

I narrow my eyes, “Well, I…I mean…” Before I get a chance to properly respond Frigga is tugging on my arm and pulling me towards the growing crowd. Happy, smiling people of Asgard. My eye catches Embla, the little girl from the wedding, and I tear free from Frigga to rush to the child and embrace her tightly. I kiss the adorable thing on the forehead before Frigga pulls me away again. She pulls me off to the side and a crowd of women quickly descend upon me, pulling at my hair and my clothes and my face in a whirlwind of chattering.

I feel like I am trapped in some sort of…womanly void, and I lose all sense of time until they back away and I can feel the change upon me. My hair has been miraculously tamed and I reach up to feel it has been braided back from the sides, and the braids wound into a tight bun at the back of my head, the rest hanging loose and wavy at my back. A golden cape has been fastened at my shoulders, a dress of the faintest and purest green placed upon me. My face washed with dew and cheeks pinched for rosy complexion, I feel every bit the blushing bride. But it’s just not…not what I want. 

“Are you ready, child?” Someone asks so quietly and gently I’m not even sure that the words were actually spoken. I am ushered promptly and with much ceremony up to the base of the tree where Odin and Loki stand, Loki having clearly been attacked in a similar manner to my own. His face is washed and hair combed, a gold and green cape trailing down his back all the way to his feet. Somehow, he looks different as he smiles down at me.

“You look beautiful,” he murmurs gently, so lowly that perhaps only he and I can hear. He reaches for my hands and I give them to him, his long fingers wrapping around mine tenderly. 

“Do you begin?” Odin asks of us. 

I contemplate this question carefully before I open my mouth and answer, “No.”

“No?” Loki breathes.

“No?” Odin scoffs.

No.” I affirm for the second time. “I love Loki and I cannot wait to share every moment with him…but, when Loki proposed to me he promised we could have as long as we wanted before getting married. And I’m not saying we have to wait one hundred years, or even one year, I’m just saying—not now. Considering all that has happened of late, I do not feel it is the opportune moment for Loki and I…we need our time.”

I look to Loki who seems surprised, certainly, but over all not upset, which is the good news. Odin is red of face and flustered and looks to be on the verge of scolding me but seems to think better of it. I turn around to the small crowd and offer an apologetic smile.

“I know you all came expecting a wedding today, and I, unfortunately, cannot offer you one,” I announce. 

“However,” I continue, walking towards where Thor and Jane are gathered to the side. I take the flower crown from my hair and carefully place it on Jane’s head. Her delicate hands fly up to it immediately, nervously adjusting it in her hair. “I think this is the perfect occasion for a different wedding.”

I take a step back to admire my handiwork and feel Loki’s presence beside me. Thor and Jane discuss the matter quickly and quietly and I turn my attention to Loki, wrapping my arms about his waist and pulling him close to me. 

“I’m sorry,” I apologize, still uncertain of what Loki’s reaction to my decision is. 

He smiles and then bows his head to kiss my forehead. “You needn’t be apologetic, my love. I think you have behaved admirably.”

“I figured it will give us time for…” I break off in a laugh and push him away as Thor and Jane hurry past us. I grab Loki by the hand and pull him toward a befuddled Odin as Thor and Jane stand before him.

“All Father, would you extend your power unto Lady Jane and I? We wish to be bound in the vows which you arranged for Loki and Lady Valkyrie,” Thor asks, surprisingly breathless. I hold my breath, biting down on my lip. Odin hesitates, the look on his face as though every passing moment has brought a surprise to take the wind right out of him. 

“Thor, I am not certain this is a good idea,” Odin begins. I open my mouth to say something but Loki touches my arm and presses me back into his side.

“Father,” Thor begins with a soft but determined smile, “I love Jane Foster and I will have her to be my bride. If this be the one thing you bestow upon me, so be it. I will want for nothing more.”

Odin smiles slightly and takes Thor’s large hand and intertwines it with Jane’s delicate one. He begins the ceremony and Loki and I hang back to the side, nestled close to one of the roots of Yggdrasil. Loki’s hand finds its way around my waist and I lean into him, inhaling his perfect scent, lavender drifting into my nose, comforting me and calming me.

Thor and Jane exchange rings conjured by Odin and then the pair shares a passionate kiss that sends a blush to my cheeks and warmth to my heart. Loki presses a kiss to my temple and then we join the crowd to give Jane and Thor our well-wishes. Thor tries desperately to hold onto us, but we dwell only long enough for him to grip me in a tight embrace and smile at me.

“This was the best gift you could ever have given me, Lady Val,” he grins even wider and I do my best to blink back the happy tears but they come anyway. Loki and I slip away from the happy couple and retreat to the edge of the clearing, out of sight and out of mind.

“What was it that you were saying we have the time for now?” Loki asks as he wipes my tears away with a gentle thumb. 

I grasp his hand and smile up at him. “I think now we finally have time for an adventure of our own.”

Without another word, I take Loki’s hand and run, back through the tall grass, dragging him between the trees until we reach our horse. I catapult myself into the saddle, Loki following behind promptly. He leans into me and I feel the warmth of his chest against my back. I grab the reigns of our horse and send us bounding through the wide open field, back the way we came. 

“Are we going back to Asgard, then?” Loki asks, his voice carrying on the wind.

I laugh, “No!”

“Then where, praytell, are we going, Valkyrie?”

I grin from ear to ear and throw my head back slightly, letting the wind carry my hair freely. 

“I haven’t the slightest idea!”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

211K 8.8K 27
[ LOKI x READER ] [ thor: ragnarok ] C O M P L E T E D ◇ ◇ ◇ When the god of mischief shows up uninvited to your home and asks you to check on his fa...
194K 7.8K 33
"NOW LIGHT A MATCH, STAND BACK, WATCH 'EM EXPLODE" // MIRA LAM is a fiery hothead who doesn't exactly give two cents about the world around her. Tha...
21K 290 31
'They may have always been my enemy, but I became their worst nightmare' We all know Asgards famous prince's, but what about their younger sister. ...
432 47 44
All Freyja wants is to see Odin, King of Asgard, dead and she is willing to kill him by any means necessary. When the council, the head of the rebels...