Asher's Heart

By rhxpsodicxlly

Unlike everyone else, Ellie Anderson thought she had it easy in high school. Except for the first year. It su... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Epilogue
Acknowledgments | Character Interview
Update
Extra #1
Extra #2
Cast

Chapter 18

38.2K 1.6K 674
By rhxpsodicxlly

I didn't even know what I was so sad about. It wasn't like Asher was the nicest guy on the planet. Far from it. But it still hurt.

I had decided not to bother him anymore. I would just be a neighbor if that's what he wanted.

"Pumpkin are you alright?" my dad asked. He was sitting on the other side of the table, eating dinner which he made. It would be better if I keep shut about the taste.

I just grunted in response.

He chuckled.

"Who did you fight with?" he said, taking a bite from the pasta he made and grimacing afterwards.

"Why would you think I fought with someone?" I asked.

He shrugged and then smirked.

"I don't think it. I know it and I have a pretty good idea who it was," he said.

I stopped picking at my food and gave him a hard look.

"And who might that be?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"I know my daughter and there are only a few who can keep up an argument with her. What did you guys fought about now?" he asked.

I sighed and slumped in my chair.

"He keeps acting weird and doesn't tell me what's the matter," I told him.

"Maybe you should give him time," my dad advised.

"How much time dad? He has been like this since he came back and I don't know what to do!" I said exasperated.

My dad just smiled.

I looked down, a bit embarrassed by my mini outburst and took a bite, instantly regretting it.

"Being famous is not easy. Maybe Asher is just stressed?" he said.

I didn't say anything. It was easier talking about him without actually saying his name but now that dad had actually mentioned him I felt uncomfortable talking about him.

My dad knowing I wouldn't continue with this conversation anymore switched the topic.

"I am going to meet your grandmother," he said and stood up taking his less than half eaten food to the sink.

I perked up.

"Really? When are we going?" I asked. It's been a long time since I had seen her.

"You're going to finish that?" he asked as he came to take my plate.

I shook my head too early.

He let out a chuckle.

"I really should stop cooking right?" he said.

"You should have stopped ages ago," I muttered under my breath.

The way he narrowed his eyes on me I knew he heard me.

"Did you say something?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"That's what I thought," he said to himself.

"Anyway I said I would go. You're staying here," he deadpanned, starting to wash the dishes.

I leaped up from my chair and went to stand next to him.

"What? No! I want to meet her too and you can't possibly let me stay in this giant house alone," I argued.

He gave me a plate to dry off, turning his face to look at me. I took it.

"It's your senior year and I can't let you compromise with that. I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't important. You can meet her when she comes here," he said.

"But what about me staying alone?" I asked, still hopeful that he won't leave me here.

"That I have thought about. You will stay at Linda's," he said with a wink.

It took me a moment to realize what that meant. I put the plate carefully it its place then said, "What? No! I won't go there."

He couldn't possibly leave me in a house with two hormonal teenage boys. I wouldn't have minded but darn one of them was Asher. And I didn't want to be under the same roof as him. Heck, I didn't even want to be on the same planet as him. But we're not that scientifically advanced so that'd have to wait.

"Reason?"

I didn't answer.

"Look, can't I just stay with Brooke?" I asked.

He pursed his lips, thinking.

"I would have allowed that if I knew exactly when I was returning. It could be a week, two, more. I don't think you would be welcomed there for more than a week tops," he said.

I thought about it. It was true. Brooke's mom was a very busy woman and she barely manages to take care of her and her brother. Add me and it would become hell for her.

"Besides I have already asked Linda and she is very happy to have you over," he added fondly.

I considered this.

Pros -

1. I get to stay in the same house as Ashton.

2. I get Linda treating me like a daughter whole day every day for weeks.

3. And I could play spy and keep an eye on Asher.

Cons -

1. I would have to stay in the same house as Asher.

2. I would be victimized by his pranks whole day everyday for weeks.

3. I would have to keep an eye on Asher.

I sighed.

"Alright," I said.

He gave me a grateful smile.

"When are you leaving?" I asked.

"My flight is tomorrow. Early morning," he answered.

****

I locked the door and pocketed the keys.

I turned and smiled widely.

"Hi Ashton," I said. He had come to help me get my stuff over to his house.

"Hey beautiful. Ready to go?" he asked.

I nodded happily. He called me beautiful.

Someone muttered something under their breath. I narrowed my eyes at Asher who had come too and whom I was ignoring for past one minute.

"Hi Anderson," he said.

I smiled tightly at him.

"Hi neighbor," I bit out.

He made an o with his lips and nodded slowly, realizing I was still mad.

Ashton looked between us with furrowed eyebrows.

"Did something happen? You guys- God! It's so heavy. Did you fill it with rocks?" Ashton struggled with the bag and then let it lay on the ground.

I looked at him apologetically. It contained books. Lots of them. I couldn't stay away from my books.

"I thought mom said she was coming over for a few weeks. It looks like she is transferring all her stuff over," Asher said, eyeing my bags.

I crossed my arms and huffed. I didn't like how he talked about me as if I wasn't there one bit. I opened my mouth to put him in his place when Ashton beat me to it.

"Hey don't be rude. She can stay as long as she likes," he said smiling at me. I smiled back. "It'll be good to have a girl in the house. You know I always wanted a sister. Now I can know how it feels like to have one for real," he said.

I could hear it. I could hear my heart shattering into tiny little pieces. It was getting impossible to keep the smile intact on my face but I did it somehow. Inside I was crying. Breaking. My throat constricted and chest tightened. I didn't know how long I could hold it in. I didn't speak anything. If I did I would start sobbing.

I thought being friendzoned was bad. Being sisterzoned hurt ten times worse. I couldn't go back from that. No matter what I did he would always see me as his sister. He saw me as a sister.

My vision started blurring. I didn't know how I kept the tears from flowing down my face. If I didn't do anything now he would see me cry. I know I would start bawling like a baby soon.

I had the most pathetic and terrible heartbreak ever. The one who broke it didn't even have the slightest idea. It was the worst kind. Because you can't even blame them for anything. Their only mistake was being oblivious.

"Ashton, you take the other bag. I'll take that one," Asher said to him just as I turned away from them, a tear falling from my left eye.

I wiped it away surreptitiously.

"Okay," he said cheerily.

I didn't turn back until I heard his footsteps fading. Somehow it hurt even more knowing he didn't know.

I slumped down on the porch steps and buried my head in my hands. I just had my first heartbreak and it was the most awful thing I had experienced. I didn't want to go to his house anymore. I didn't think I would be able to face him without wanting to cry all over again.

I sob escaped my lips.

I felt Asher sit beside me.

"Ellie..." he started. I could hear pity in his voice and for some reason it made me angry. I wanted to snap at him but I also didn't want to talk to anyone.

"Leave me alone," I croaked out.

He didn't.

He stayed silent till I was done crying my eyes out. I kept wiping away my tears but they kept flowing like water from broken tap. Then he spoke, his voice soft and sincere.

"I know it hurts like hell. It feels like the end of the world but you move on. First heartbreak is always the hardest. It's supposed to be that way so that you remember it till the end. But it fades with time," he said.

I looked at him. I don't know if it was the look on his face or the sincerity in his voice that made me angrier. It was like he was mocking me sounding like he actually went through it. How would he know what it feels like? He never had his heart broken by anyone.

I chuckled humorlessly. Even I was surprised at how dark it sounded.

"You don't know shit," I spat.

He let out a breath. He clenched and relaxed his fist several times.

"You're right. I don't know shit about love and all that crap. So, if you're done with crying, help me move this stuff," he said, devoid of any emotion.

I stared at him in horror. How he always managed to surprise me with his rudeness was beyond me.

He stood up and picked my bag filled with books.

"Get your heart moving, Anderson," he said giving me a last look which I didn't understand at all and walked away.

"Go to hell," I gritted out after him.

📚📚📚📚
Hey awesome people!!!
What? What? An update? Before time?
Yeah! You know I am awesome like that. 😉
Do you like it? Yes?😁 No? 😢
I hope you do.
Please vote, comment and share. It really makes me happy guys. 😁😁

Random question - What do you prefer reading? Standalone / trilogy /series

Bye!
-K

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.8K 873 17
She'd die for love. He didn't believe in love. *** From reading The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood, to watching 10 Things I Hate About You, to list...
The Bet By Angela

Teen Fiction

151K 3.8K 33
Who could ever think that because of a football game you could find true love? Well Jason Parker wouldn't. He is the schools hottie, captain of the s...
3.9M 115K 59
* * * Lauren Collins is a good girl. She's responsible and shy but has a tight knit group of friends, excellent grades, and is dating Thomas Clark, a...
64K 1.3K 44
All the way throughout elementary school it was always Bella, Leo, Liz, Flynn, Nate, Elliot and Amelia. They were all long time friends.. In the sop...