That Wasn't Supposed To Happen

By xFakingaSmilex

Charlie Landon had her future worked out until her mother died in a freak shark attack. Her father uproots th... More

▸ AUTHORS NOTE & PLAYLIST
▸ VARSITY JACKETS
▸ TRYOUTS
▸ CHEER SPIRIT
▸ PERCY'S PARTY
▸ FLOAT
▸ REST
▸ REVENGE
▸ BROKEN FLOAT
▸ PROPOSALS
▸ THOUGHTS
▸ HOMECOMING
▸ WOODWORK
▸ DETENTION
▸ WEEKEND ADVENTURES
▸HEARTBREAK
▸ NOAH'S APARTMENT
▸ LIFE
▸ PROGRESS
▸THE LOCK IN
▸DINNER
▸FEELINGS
▸PUMPKIN CARVING
▸BUBBLE TROUBLE
▸HUNGOVER
▸DETECTIVE PERCY
▸LEAVING PARTY
▸HOME
▸OCEAN AIR
▸NEW ADVENTURES
▸STARS
▸EXPLORATIONS
▸LAST INTRODUCTION
▸DANCE COMMITTEE
▸FRIENDS
▸OUR FUTURE
▸CHANCE OF SNOW
▸ROSES
▸SURPRISES
▸MIXED FEELINGS
▸MISS YOU
▸THE WEEKEND
▸CHRISTMAS EVE
▸CHRISTMAS DINNER
▸DANCE CLASS
▸BLURRED NIGHTS
▸TROUBLE
▸SURPRISE
▸NEW FRIENDS
▸GOODBYE
▸JEALOUSY
▸PUB
▸WAVES
▸FUTURE
▸PLANS
▸DINNER
▸PROJECTS
▸CRUSHES
▸DATES
▸LIGHT BULBS
▸THE FOOLED
▸DISCOVERIES
▸WORRIES
▸LETTERS
▸RESULTS
▸MEETINGS
▸GRADUATION
▸APARTMENTS
▸MEMORIES
▸BOXES
▸FEEDBACK SHEET
▸SECOND CHANCES
▸MISSING YOU
▸CONCERT
▸HOME
▸OLD FRIENDS
▸ YES
▸PROPOSAL
▸MARRY ME
▸VOWS
▸HONEYMOON
▸MRS. EAST
▸ENCOUNTERS
▸MOVING ON
▸CATCH UPS
▸NEW ADVENTURES
▸FAMILY
▸ANNOUNCEMENTS
▸LITTLE HUMAN
▸VISIT
▸SKIP
▸SURPRISES
▸[PART SIXTEEN] MISTLETOE
▸[PART SEVENTEEN] HOLIDAY
▸[PART EIGHTEEN] HOUSE
▸[PART NINETEEN] BABY
▸[PART TWENTY] COLLEGE
▸[PART TWENTY-ONE] BON VOYAGE
▸[PART TWENTY-TWO] BIRTHDAY
▸[PART TWENTY-THREE] AUSTRALIA [SPIN-OFF NOW POSTED]
⋆ Other Stories You Might Enjoy ⋆

▸DANCE PERFORMANCE

43.9K 1.3K 167
By xFakingaSmilex

DANCE PERFORMANCE

Percy's grip tightens around my waist as he lifts me up. I extend my arms in the air and point my toes. He puts me down and I step forward and twirl around. Percy captures my hand and I fall into his arms. His warm breath fans across my face, sending a shiver down my spine. He pulls me back and lowers me to the floor.

He pauses above me and we wait for the music and lights to fade. Once we're surrounded by darkness, the crowd cheers and Percy offers his hand. He pulls me up and I inhale a deep breath to catch my breath.

We hurry backstage with the other dancers who are chattering with excitement. Samantha is the center of attention with her purple skirt.

"I can't believe the Ms. Miller allowed her to change costumes." Percy shakes his head.

"How are you surprised? Samantha typically gets everything she wants."

"Can I be there when you tell her about your relationship?" Percy grins.

"I don't even want to be there when she finds out." I frown.

"Her obsession with Noah is weird. Do you think she'll make her moves on graduation?"

"I would love to escape to wherever I'm going without ever having to tell Samantha about our relationship. In fact, I hope she never finds out or that I'm at least in another state or country."

"She'll find out soon enough."

"Can you protect me when that happens? I've never seen Samantha fight someone but I'm scared of her."

"Of course." Percy nods.

"We should find some seats so we can watch the last performance."

Percy nods and we wander through the hall that leads to the seated area. We nab some seats near the front of the stage which is the perfect view for this last performance. It wouldn't surprise me if Samantha's dancing in this surprise performance.

Yellow light warms the stage and two people wander into the center. Percy stares at me as I bounce with excitement. How'd he manage to keep that a secret?

I nibble on my lower lip to stop the large smile trying to spread across my lips. Noah's dressed in thigh black clothing while Ms. Miller is dressed in a beautiful white leotard with a white skirt which looks like it's been dipped into an orange sunset.

A slow song with a sharp drum beat plays and the pair begin their routine. It's a beautiful fluent sequence of Ms. Miller spinning and leaping with Noah occasionally lifting her. There's passion and emotion in their movements which takes my breath away.

Percy rests his arm on the back of my chair and whispers, "Are you okay with this?"

"It's just a dance, a very beautiful dance. I'm jealous I can't dance like that with him."

"Noah's great at anything he puts his mind to," Percy mutters.

"It must be a family trait." I pat his leg and he smiles.

When the dance finishes, someone brings her a microphone and a table with trophies is carried onto the stage. She swiftly catches her breath and commands the stage with ease.

"Thank you for coming tonight! And a very special thank you to everyone who's made tonight possible. We've reached the last part of the evening which is the award section. This is to highlight all the amazing talent and achievements."

Noah and Ms. Miller take turns announcing awards which cover everything from most improved to best performance. I'm thankful when they finally reach our year because I'm exhausted.

Ms. Miller picks up the next trophy and smiles.

"The most improved goes to Joslin Florence." A girl in the row behind me squeals as she races onto the stage to collect the trophy. She hugs the pair and joins the other students. She passes the microphone to Noah and he picks the next trophy up.

"What's your bet it's Samantha?" I whisper to Percy.

Percy laughs. "If she won anything, it would be most improved."

"Best performance goes to Charlie Landon."

"What?"

Everyone claps but all I can do is stare at Percy. Did I hear that right? There's no way I could win the best performance.

"Don't just sit there, go on, you deserve it." Percy taps my shoulder.

I stagger onto the stage and the lights are hot and I feel uncomfortable with the number of people looking at me. Noah grins as I approach him. He hands me the trophy and I hug them.

"Great performance, Charlie! You should consider a route in dance, you have the potential for it," Ms. Miller says.

"Thank you so much."

I join the others and we have our photos taken. Ms. Miller wraps the event up with another round of thanks and congratulations. I'm relieved to finally leave the stage and find Percy who's waiting by the edge of the stage.

"Congratulations, Charlie!"

"Did you know about this?"

"Noah never mentioned it. You deserve it."

"Thank you."

"Now quickly change so we can party."

"I'll meet you in the lobby in ten."

"So in twenty minutes?" He sighs.

"Shut up." I whack his shoulder.

* * * * *

Once I'm changed, I find Percy waiting outside the change room. We walk to the lobby and Dad is waiting for us with a bunch of daisies.

"Congratulations on the win, your dance was amazing."

"Thanks." I smile.

"Your mother would be so proud."

"She would," I agree.

"I have a surprise for you."

He pulls a card from his pocket and hands it to me. I bounce with excitement until I see the second plane ticket. I'm a terrible person for wanting it to just be Noah and I.

"Since you've done so well with school and it's been a while, we can go to Australia for the holiday. We can visit family and your mother."

"This is amazing, thank you."

He engulfs me in a tight hug and I squeeze him back.

"Enjoy the party but don't stay too late as you'll need to pack before the flight."

"Thanks, Dad."

He kisses my forehead and joins the rest of the people attempting to escape from the building. Percy laughs and I shoot him a glare.

"Don't forget that my father hates the beach, so I don't know how much surfing time we'll get."

"He'll let you surf though, he knows how much it means to you."

"Let's go, I need a drink."

Percy hooks his arm around my shoulders and guides me to his car.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.7M 483K 25
|18+| In one night of drunken, post-breakup passion, Lizbeth manages to hookup with the dominant boy of her dreams. It was supposed to be a one night...
16.5K 1.4K 40
After passing the prestigious Maddox Academy exams, Flick Grieves is shipped off to the middle of the country to attend her new school. With a social...
9.5K 258 54
Eli is like everybody, a normal senior high school student who wanted to make her last year in high school memorable. She's dealing with some emotion...
2.8K 185 35
Isabel, Leon and Noah: three completely different people involved in one, horrific accident. Isabel is shy, to say the least, often staying at home t...