Change of Heart (NaNoWriMo 20...

By AHopeMoore

**In The Editing Process!!** Jariel, a once favored angel in Heaven, has been thrown out. Not by his own acc... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue
SEQUEL.
On Publishing

Chapter 1

897 19 7
By AHopeMoore

Jariel could feel the walls around him come crashing down. He tried his best not to look behind him as he ran for his life, terrified of the scene that was now forming behind him. He questioned what was happening, and why it was happening now. All he knew at the moment was that he had to get out of there, and fast. He quickly turned the corner of the coliseum, hoping to escape, but was stopped dead in his tracks. He stood there for a second, trying to catch his breath. It was her, the one who had caused all this. He was about to turn around, to flee from her evil gaze, when the columns fell before him, blocking his path. He cursed under his breath as he realized that his only means of escaping were now gone. He reluctantly turned around to face her, ready to meet his fate. A cruel smile formed on her flawless face as a wicked laugh escaped from her chest.

            “You’re finished now.” She said, her voice full of pride. “How does it feel to be the one that nobody wants? To no longer be the favorite? Let’s face it, you’re nothing now.” Jariel could only watch as the floor beneath him disappeared and he began to fall away from the only place he could ever call home.

*            *              *              *

Jariel woke up screaming at the top of his lungs.

He sat up from the cold, damp, ground and looked around at his surroundings. He was in a dark alleyway; at least he thought he was. He couldn’t really see anything in the dark and from the recent events he didn’t know what to think of at the moment. His head was still spinning with thoughts and questions. Bright, flashing, lights radiated from both ends of the alley and he could hear what sounded like car horns going off at one of the ends. He wondered silently to himself what had happened as he wrapped his white, prodigious, wings around his body to shelter him from the cold. He had been the most faithful servant; the most loyal of them all and this is what he received in return? To be thrown out of heaven, his only known home, to live among these disgusting scum known as humans. It was unbelievable. He cursed under his breath. He should have known better than to have trusted Elise, who had been known to trick angels who were more favored than her. He had let his guard down and now he had to deal with the consequences. Jariel let out a deep, frustrated, sigh. Things were going so smoothly between them though that he thought she had changed. He actually believed that she had become his friend. He never once thought that she was just toying with him and his emotions. He was a fool. He should have known Elise would never change. She would always be that petty angel that had to be the center of attention.

            Jariel decided nothing good was going to come out of sitting in a dark, damp, alley throwing himself a pity party. He slowly stood up, reluctantly hid his wings, and started to make his way out of the alley, his black combo boots splashing in the small, muddy, puddles. He loathed that he had to hide his wings from the mortal realm, for they were a part of him. He reached the end of the dimly lit alley and looked around, letting his eyes adjust to the bright lights of the city that he was trapped in. Taxis flew by and herds of people were rambling their way down the sidewalks. He silently questioned where he was until his royal blue eyes hit a big sign that was lit up like the forth of July and read “Welcome to New York City.”

            “Great.” He muttered to himself as he  brushed his long, black, hair out of his face and cussed under his breath again. “I’m in the city that never sleeps.”

*              *             *        *

            Dawn entered Joe’s Diner, completely out of breath from running all the way there. Despite her feeble attempt to get to work on time, she arrived late once again. She knew her boss would be upset, but at the present moment she was more concerned about the painting at home that needed to be finished before her friend, Sam, left in two days. The painting was going to be a goodbye gift.

            Dawn sneaked in to the back, put on her brown apron that smelled strongly of coffee beans and made her way back to the front where her other friend, as well as roommate, Annette, was making coffee for a customer who wouldn’t stop drumming his fingers on the counter to the beat of whatever he was listening to.

            “Someone is late again.” Annette sang, putting the lid on the coffee cup and handing it to the customer, glad that the drumming had finally come to an end. Dawn just smiled to herself and took her place next to the coffee maker so Annette could take orders while she prepared them. “Let me guess, you were still working on that painting?”

            “So what if I was?” Dawn laughed. “You know that my paintings bring me peace.”

            “Those paintings are what are going to get you fired if you don’t start coming to work on time.” A voice behind Dawn said, startling her. She whirled around to see her boss, Joe, who was drying a coffee pot with a white dish towel. “That’s the third time this week, may I remind you.”

            “I’m sorry Joe!” she apologized, twirling a strand of her long, auburn, hair around her index finger; a nervous habit. “I lost track of time again. I swear, it won’t happen again.” She silently hoped she could promise that and keep it. She needed this job if she was going to continue her paintings.

            “It better not or I’m going to have no choice but to let you go.” Joe said, pausing to look up at her. “I don’t want to have to do that, but I will if I have to. Understand?”

            “Understood.” Dawn answered, letting out a sigh. Joe nodded and went in the back to continue cleaning. Dawn bent over and leaned against the marble counter, resting her head in her hands, and let out a frustrated groan. She needed this job. Without it she wouldn’t be able to afford her art supplies. Getting this job had taken a miracle, she didn’t want to imagine the pain of going through that process again.

            “Hey now.” Annette said, coming over and gently placing a hand on Dawns shoulder. “Don’t worry about it. I’ll help you, even if it means taking your art supplies hostage.” She laughed when Dawn looked up at her and gave her a death glare.

            “Do that and you will find yourself one morning with no hair on your head.” Dawn threatened, smiling and standing up. She knew that Annette knew that she was just kidding, but it was funny when Annette mocked being afraid.

            “You wouldn’t.” Annette said, pretending to be offended.

            “Oh yeah?” Dawn asked, smiling. “Just try me.”

            “Ha-ha, I wouldn’t  mess with your art supplies. I know you too well, I wouldn’t get away with my life.” Annette laughed as she went to a customer that had sat down at the bar to take his order.  Dawn just smiled and shook her head.

            The day, to Dawns favor, passed quickly. She left the Diner smelling like coffee but with a spring in her step. She was on her way to the art store to pick up paint for her goodbye painting. The art store always made a bad day better. She walked down the streets, passed dozens of people who were all minding their own business. She liked people-watching. Annette said it was weird and stalker-like, but she enjoyed it. Seeing other people for some reason always gave her a glimmer of hope that things were going to get better.

            The familiar sound of the bell ringing when she opened the door welcomed her. The store clerk, Jenna, welcomed her from the counter with a smile. Dawn waved and said hello, then made her way to the back where the paint was. She stood there for a while, trying to decide what shade of blue she should get. She quietly laughed to herself. Most girls her age where in the mall trying to decide what pair of shoes to buy, but not her. No, she was trying to decide what shade of paint to purchase. She finally found the perfect shade, a nice light blue.

            “Hello Dawn.” Jenna greeted when Dawn stepped up and put her paint on the counter. “Working on another painting?”

            “Yep!” Dawn answered, smiling. “It’s going to be a goodbye gift for a friend. She’s moving to California.”

            “I bet the painting looks fantastic.” Jenna said, making Dawn smile a little. Dawn thanked Jenna for the painting and left the store. Her feet carried her home, where she disposed of her shoes and her coat. She put the tube of paint next to her easel and went to the kitchen to make  dinner, where she was greeted by her black cat, Michelangelo.

            “Hey there buddy.” She said, scratching the cat’s head. “Catch any mice today?” As usual, Michelangelo ignored her and scampered off. She laughed and continued to make herself a sandwich. Annette was most likely off with her boyfriend, Derek. Dawn didn’t really like Derek that much. He drank and partied way too often. She felt that Annette deserved someone better, someone who actually cared about her. Dawn shook her head. Despite her dislike, it wasn’t really her decision on who Annette could date. She wasn’t her mother, after all.

             Dawn retired with her dinner to the living room and prayed that tomorrow would bring a better and brighter day.

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
22.7M 796K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" โฆ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
204K 10.3K 89
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...