Broken City

By DDChant

In a Broken City, filled with warring tribes, lives: A girl with no future A man with no past A little lost b... More

Broken City
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Twenty Eight

2.5K 41 7
By DDChant

Chapter Twenty Eight

“How’s Tommy?” Jan’s voice is low.

“Sleeping—he says he’s fine.”

Ryder blinks rapidly, trying to adjust his eyes to the darkness of the hallway as Jan peels herself from the wall.

“And what do you say?”

“That there’s not much point in trying to disagree with him,” Ryder grins. “What about, Deeta?”

“She’s sleeping—we aren’t used to excitement like you and, Tommy, are—it takes a lot out of us,” she begins to move down the hall, matching her pace with his. “What do we do now?”

“The only thing we can do—we get ready for war,” answers Ryder.

“Is that all you know how to do?” asks Jan bitterly. “Fight and destroy things?”

Ryder’s hand encircles her upper arm, bringing her round to face him as he comes to an abrupt halt in the corridor.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Who was in charge of the rescue mission mounted to find Dec?”

“I was—from beginning to end,” answers Ryder.

“You were,” Jan closes her eyes as tears spill over her lashes. “You were in charge of the mission where, Deeta, was beaten,” her eyes open and she pulls away from his slackened grip. “Do you have any idea how they left her—because I do: bruised and unconscious where she fell. Who was in charge of the attack on the Marshall compound when we sought refuge here?”

“I was,” Ryder’s voice is grim.

“You were…look around you, Ryder, at what you’ve accomplished—you destroyed this place—how did you suppose that this tribe would survive after you had brought them to this…did you even care?”

Ryder is quiet for a while, staring into the depths of her eyes…searching for something.

“I thought that your tribe was holding, Tommy—”

“That’s what you thought,” agrees Jan. “But what was the reality of the situation? The truth was that Tommy, was living with us of his own free will—sometimes what you think and the truth are wildly different.”

There is a moment’s silence.

“What do you want me to say, Jan?” asks Ryder quietly. “That I was wrong? I was, but if you were in my position and were told that Deeta, had been captured by another tribe—was being held as their prisoner, how would you have felt…what would you have done when they started threatening her life?”

Jan shakes her head miserably and refuses to look at him.

“Do you think that I want this? That I want to fight out there in the cold and desolate wastes of this city, for my life and the survival of my tribe. I don’t. For one thing I’m scared to death that I’ll lose yet more of my brothers and nephews, but the thing that worries me the most is that I’ll lose you no matter what I do.”

Jan turns her head sharply to look up at him from turbulent, stormy eyes.

“How do you know you ever had me?”

“Not know—thought, but like you said, what I think and the truth sometimes differ wildly.”

Jan feels the pressure of his arm pulling her towards him and doesn’t struggle as his free hand pushes her chin up.

“So let’s find out for sure, shall we?” 

Jan doesn’t try to break from his hold, if anything she leans into his embrace, and for a considerable while there is no sound in the hallway.

“What did that prove?” asks Jan as, their kiss ended, they stand close together.

“It proved a heck of a lot to me Janny,” Ryder trails his fingers along her jaw line. “Tell me that you won’t fight me anymore.”

“There wouldn’t be much point, you always win,” Jan’s voice is a little petulant.

Ryder releases her and pushes her away from him firmly, over the distance which separates them, Janny’s surprised, questioning eyes meet his.

“That’s not good enough, Jan,” he states quietly. “I’ve told you how I feel, but I don’t want a wife that doesn’t come a hundred percent certain and willing—if you can’t give me that then I don’t want anything from you.”

“Querida? There you are: Robin would like to talk to your friend, Jan,” Catalina, unconscious of the scene she has interrupted, smiles pleasantly at them both. “He invites you to eat with us.”

Ryder remains perfectly still looking down at Jan as though no interruption has occurred.

“Great!” Jan’s voice is a little too eager. “I’m famished aren’t you, Ryder?”

Her voice as she turns to him is pleading, but he doesn’t seem to notice.

“Jan and I have something to finish first, but we’ll be down presently, thank you.”

“Please, Rye, it can wait until later—we can talk later, can’t we?”

“No it cannot wait, but if you’re hungry we’ll continue this conversation over dinner.”

“With everyone listening?” gasps Jan.

“It’s not what I’d have chosen, I grant you, but if that’s the way you want it…”

He begins to walk down the hallway towards the stair, quickly pursued by Jan.

“We’ll be down in a minute, Kate,” assures Jan, barring Ryder’s way.

Catalina excuses herself with a knowing smile and the hallway is quiet as Jan fidgets uncomfortably under Ryder’s steady gaze.

“Do I have to say it out loud?” she asks eventually, blushing a delicate shade of pink in embarrassment.

A mischievous glint enters Ryder’s eyes but as he looks down at Jan’s bent head he relents and reaches out, taking her hand in his and pulling her towards him gently. He had only meant to embrace her but Jan, reaching up to whisper in his ear, says the three words whose assurance he had needed, before turning to kiss him.

It is some time later that they descend the stairs together, in search of Robin and nourishment.

“By the by, Jan,” Ryder stretches his arm across her shoulders. “In response to your earlier question, no, fighting and destroying things are not my only talents—remind me to show you some time.”

“I thought you just did?”

“Oh, you’ve seen nothing yet!” replies Ryder.

~~~~~~~~

“Ryder said you’d be leaving this morning.”

Tom doesn’t turn at the sound of my voice, but continues to tie his boot laces.

“How are you feeling—I came to see if you needed me to re bandage your shoulder?”

Tom straightens and turns around to face me, tucking a gun into his belt.

“Ryder’s already done it,” he pulls his jacket on. “What about you, are you alright?”

“Fine—I’m tougher than I look!” I shift my weight awkwardly. “You’re going back to Andak city aren’t you?”

“No,” Tom looks straight at me. “We’re going back to Andak city. We are better equipped and we have the infrastructure to organize a defence.”

“So there’s definitely going to be more fighting?” I ask quietly.

“I’m sorry, Deeta, if there was another way I’d be the first to try it—but we’re dealing with the Lewis’s…they know no other way.”

We enter the great hall to find Robin conversing pleasantly with Ryder, they both break off as they see Tom coming.

“I always seem to be saying goodbye to you Tom,” Robin smiles.

“Not this time, Rob, is there somewhere we can talk?”

“Right here if you’d like, what’s wrong?” asks Robin.

“First of all we need to get a few things straight—”

Robin holds up a hand in front of him, stemming the flow of Tom’s words.

“Its okay Tom, we sorted that out last time you were here—Andak is your name, it isn’t who you are.”

“Thanks Rob, I’m grateful—I wish it were that. Ryder was the man in charge of the attack on your compound.”

Robin’s face whitens and he turns to Ryder whose eyes have narrowed in on Tom.

“Is this true?” Robins voice is hoarse.

“Every word,” replies Ryder.

“I needed to tell you that, to be up front with you in case later you heard it from a different source—you have a right to know and base your decision on all of the facts.”

“What decision?” asks Robin sharply.

“There’s going to be a battle,” answers Tom. “Not a fight or a skirmish but a battle. Did you think that we were the only ones to survive, that the people of this city were the only ones left—we’re not. There is a Tribe from a nearby town, the Lewis’s, and they want control of this city, the Andak’s have always stood in the way but at the moment we are weak and unprepared for attack—we can’t do this by ourselves, Robin, we need the help of every tribe to make a stand—we all have to work together if any of us are to survive.”

“You’re asking for my help?” asks Robin. “You destroy my tribe and then ask me to help you?”

“I’m asking you to help yourself, the Lewis’s aren’t a friendly bunch—they’ll kill you on principal so that when they absorb your tribe into their own there won’t be any lingering loyalty to the previous leader…my tribe can help you to rebuild this place, help you to get back on your feet—but we can’t do that if the Lewis’s have wiped us out.”

For a moment there is silence.

“I have nothing but your word, Tom, how do I know that these people don’t just want to destroy your tribe?”

“My word used to be good enough—we were friends once.”

Robin silently considers Tom, with a thoughtful expression etched on his face.

“Jay—round every one up, it seems we’re leaving.”

Tom lets out a breath and smiles.

“Thanks, Rob.”

“It’s nothing,” shrugs Robin. “I’ve known you a long time and you’ve never lied to me—whatever you might have left out...why would you start now?”

“Because I’m up to my neck in trouble and need help?”

“Not your style mate.”

~~~~~~~~~

Jimmy leans back into the seat of the truck, it was so close now, his victory, his vindication. Soon the Andak tribe would be a mere blip on the chart of life. They hadn’t a hope, no chance: they were unprepared for anything and everything, he hugs the rifle closer to him, caressing it gently.

The Lewis’s had given him his orders—predictability they had placed him on the front line, he wonders if they really expect him to obey the order or if they know that he will spend the fight somewhere safer, even if they do suspect they could hardly have guessed his plan: that he and his rifle would be stationed on one of the derelict buildings where he would have a good view of the conflict and where, once the battle won, it will be easy to pick off any of the remaining Andak brothers and the entire Lewis council. He had enough allies in both tribes to make his bid for control successful and those that opposed him—well, accidents happened, he’d proved that already.

His thoughts drift to Nova, to the power that he will hold over her. The truck lurches on the rough terrain causing his head to smack against the upright, for a blinding second all he can see is stars.

“I’d put your helmet on if I were you, Dorothy, we’ve got a way to go and the road will only get worse, there’ll be plenty of time to get your brains bashed out, no use in starting before we get to the party.”

The driver laughs and Jimmy smiles thinly in response, disliking him more with every passing moment. Ever since he had entered the cab he had had to put up with the brash familiarity of the man, along with the jovial insults that fell from his lips with astonishing frequency. A sudden thought strikes him.

“What’s your name?”

“David Thompson, my friends call me Dave—you can call me Mr. Thompson!” David Thompson emits a loud shout of laughter and slaps Jimmy’s shoulder heavily. “I’m just playing with you, Dorothy.”

Jimmy smiles weakly again and leans his head back against the head rest, closing his eyes and wondering what future punishment to visit on the unfortunate David Thompson.

~~~~~~~~

“Looks pretty quiet,” Ryder pulls back into the cover of the wall he is looking round.

“That’s the way it looks,” answers Tom. “I don’t like it,” he shakes his head.

The Andak compound sits in the middle of a vast clearing—a no man’s land of emptiness.

“What do we do?” Rye asks, his eyes firmly fixed on Tom’s averted face.

“You stay here, if we turn up with this lot they’ll think we’re an advanced scout—I’ll go and see what sort of reception we’re going to get.”

“Tom—wait!” I make a grab for his arm. “What if they shoot?”

“At this distance they’ll probably miss,” answers Tom with a shrug.

“Probably…what if they don’t!” incredulity makes my voice loud.

“If they don’t miss they won’t hit me with any degree of accuracy—don’t worry.”

He moves off from behind the building and the shelter it affords, his pace measured and slow.

“El hombre de secretos es loco!” Catalina remarks to Robin.

“Or brilliant, they say it’s a fine line,” answers Robin.

We continue to watch Tom’s progress in silence, our tension mounting as he nears the walls of the compound, finally he pauses still some way from the fortified entrance and there is a slight disturbance as the great doors slowly open and a guard of several men come out to meet Tom. Afraid of what I might see I turn my face into the wall, waiting in agony for the sound of a gunshot. For an eternity I stand there waiting with no sound breaking the silence.

“That’s the signal—we’re okay to go.”

Ryder’s voice makes me jump.

“You mean—they’re on our side?” I ask.

“Yep: they’re on our side, we’re on their side—we could start a mutual appreciation society,” Ryder answers with more flippancy than seems entirely fitting.

“Are you sure about that?” asks Robin. “This isn’t some reverse Trojan horse thing going on here?”

Ryder stares at him blankly for a moment.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, mate.”

“In the Iliad—these Greeks built a wooden horse—” begins Robin, but Ryder cuts him off.

“Tom wouldn’t signal for us if he wasn’t completely certain, and Tom is never wrong about these things,” he begins to walk towards the compound. “And, just for the record, the Iliad dealt with the last few weeks of the Trojan war ending with the death of Hector—the events of the first nine years, the reason for the war and the death of Achilles are all detailed in the epic cycle poems: our Greek teacher made us study the rotten things in their original Greek text. Believe me, the whole thing is seared in my memory in words of fire.”

As we near the compound I see that one of the men in khaki is Val, he is conversing earnestly with Tom and gesturing to the skyline.

“Val, says that they’ve picked up the Lewis’s on the move and headed in from the east—they’re about two hours away.”

“Two hours,” Ryder stares into the distance. “Then we’ve lost already—we can’t get the other tribes to agree and be here in two hours—there’s no time!”

“Most of them have already agreed,” interjects Val. “We activated the sleepers last night and then sent a member of the council to each tribe to tell them what’s about to happen and to try and get them to realize that this place is their only hope of survival. Six are already here, twelve are on the way and we expect to hear from the rest in the next fifteen minutes.”

“Well I hope you didn’t send any one to the Marshalls because we decided to crash the party,” says Robin stepping forward, there is a general cheer from the crowd behind him.

“We weren’t sure what to do about your tribe—we didn’t think you’d appreciate another…visit,” replies Val.

We enter the compound to find that its outer façade of calm hides a bustling frenzy of activity.

“Who’s here so far?” asks Ryder.

“Uncle Tom!”

The high pitched screech causes everyone to pause momentarily, plunging the room into stillness.

“Ricky, look, there’s Uncle Tom!”

Carris pushes her way through the crowd and casts herself into Tom’s arms. Val watches in some amazement as Roydon, Ricky, Tarri and Carris surround Tom plying him with questions and talking excitedly all at once.

“Where have you been, Uncle Tom?” asks Carris as Tom swings Tarri up into his arms.

“Who cares where he’s been—I’ve been in prison!”

“Dec!”

Dec disappears beneath their frenzied rush and they fall to the floor in a pretty good imitation of a rugby scrum.

“Oh good, you found Dec, Uncle Tom,” Tarri snuggles her head against Toms shoulder and neck, her hand playing with his hair.

“Where’s, Uncle Jep, Tarri?”

“Just here, my boy,” Uncle Jep disentangles himself from the crowd and Dec throws himself joyfully into his arms. Tom’s embrace is a little more sedate.

“It’s good to see you, Uncle Jep,” Tom’s voice is a little unsteady.

“It’s good to see you also, Tom,” smiles Uncle Jep. “What have you been doing since I saw you last?”

“We’ve been having an adventure, Uncle Jep,” cries Dec. “Uncle Tom handcuffed a man to the railings!”

“No way!” gasps Roydon.

“Yes way and…” Dec blushes and lowers his voice. “And we have three sisters that we didn’t know anything about!”

“I don’t think,” Ricky hesitates looking to Tom. “Does he mean his family here, Uncle Tom?”

Tom nods and turns to Val.

“Where are Mari, and the girls?”

“All the women and children are in the pavilion,” replies Val. “All but those who have any training.”

“Uncle Jep, it would be best if you took the children to the safety of the pavilion, the rest of us should get kitted up and briefed.”

“Orin wants to see you and Ryder before you kit up,” breaks in Val.

Tom relinquishes Tarri to Ricky as Ryder begins to follow Val through the crowd towards the operations room.

“I’ve got to go, Uncle Jep,” for a moment Tom grasps his hand. “I’ll see you later.”

He strides into the crowd and is after a moment lost from their view.

“So—you going to try and shoot us again, Val?” asks Ryder pleasantly.

“Not if you’re a good boy.”

Val continues walking with a measured pace and doesn’t turn to Ryder as he speaks.

“What does, Orin, want?” asks Tom.

“Your input on the operation—you know how strong the Lewis’s are, and they’re prepared for this…we are not.”

They enter the Andak Hall, Orin is stationed with his back to the door, leaning over a computerized map of the city.

“Tom and Rye are here, Orin.”

Val walks around the table and sits in a chair on the other side, and a hush falls on to the room as all the brothers stand tense and uncertain.

“Thanks for ‘cuffing me to that rail,” Adin strolls forwards. “It took these geniuses forty five flippin’ minutes to find me!” his smile is friendly as he gestures for them to take their chairs. “We’re just finalizing the plan of action that we intend to put before the tribal councils.”

Tom takes his cue.

“What have you come up with?”

“We intend to divide the tribes under their own generals,” begins Orin, a note of relief in his voice.

 Suddenly Tom knows that this is how it will be, that the circumstances that arose last time they were all present in this room, will be tactfully ignored by all, never to be alluded to.

“They will all be connected via radio to a centralized command point here within the compound, every tribe will have a controller here and their orders will be given through them.”

“What orders?” asks Ryder.

“That’s what we’re have trouble agreeing on,” Orin places his finger on the map. “The Lewis’s are here, their current trajectory will bring them down this route here—it’s the only road that remains unblocked for vehicles—but from there, there are any number of routes to choose from.”

“Which means that we can only defend the compound,” states Cayden.

“We suggest a preliminary block a hundred meters into the city, if we can’t hold them there then we’ll have to drop back into the compound, leaving them to face no man’s land.”

“And if they manage to survive no man’s land?” asks Tom.

The room is silent, one and all knowing the answer to that question.

“If they should manage that, then we have lost,” answers Orin eventually.

“Then allow me to suggest a backup plan,” begins Tom.

Yay!!! Everyones together again!!!

Please vote if you liked it!

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109 3 26
Ashlyn's world came crashing down around her when a medical advancement turns into an outbreak no one saw coming. After watching her older sister die...
106 0 10
This is a tale about a girl who finds herself stuck in a zombie outbreak three years after her parents passed away in a car accident. Along with her...
3.8K 157 12
THE DIXON TWINS KNEW DISAPPOINTMENT. It greets them like an old friend. A welcomed intruder into their lives in which they have learned to live. So w...
1K 176 10
A young man recovering from a serious accident has to find out what happened to his missing sister to discover why he has developed strange powers. ...