Broken City

By DDChant

In a Broken City, filled with warring tribes, lives: A girl with no future A man with no past A little lost b... More

Broken City
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Twenty Seven

2.5K 50 8
By DDChant

Chapter Twenty Seven

“Adin, have you gone completely mad?” asks Jayden.

“No, it’s just—”

“They tried to kill you!” continues Jeshua.

“Maybe they didn’t…”

“What do you mean?” asks Orin sharply.

“I’m just saying—”

“Yes I know what you’re just saying: Tom held a gun to your head and you’re saying maybe we’re jumping to the wrong conclusion.”

“We had gun’s at their heads—does that make us murdering psychopaths too?” asks Adin in exasperation.

“But Adin, you saw the recording…” begins Jayden.

“I know, I know,” Adin throws himself into a chair. “But I was there, nothing would have been easier than putting a bullet in me, but they didn’t—in fact…”

“In fact?” prompts Dagny.

“I just don’t think any of this adds up,” he shrugs.

“Mr. Orin?” the unfortunate lackey receives the peeved attention of the gathered men.

“What is it?” asks Orin.

“Lady Mari is here, she wishes an audience with the council.”

“Better let her in, Orin,” is Cayden’s advice.

“Bring her in, Lester.”

There is a moments silence as the assembled brothers wait for Mari’s entry.

“This isn’t the best time, Mari,” is Orin’s greeting.

“I know, that’s why I’m here,” Mari’s face is worried and pale. “I’ve heard a rumour that Tom and Ryder are in some sort of trouble?”

“That’s no rumour, Mari, Tom and Ryder are responsible for the deaths of many, including Dax!”

“Who told you such a lie?” Asks Mari horrified. “They were just boys at the time.”

“It isn’t a lie, Mari, and we have proof that it isn’t,” answers Orin.

“How could you possibly have proof for a lie?” Mari’s voice is angry.

“They abducted, Dec, Mari,” interjects Blake.

“Another lie!” announces Mari.

“What do you mean?” asks Dagny sharply.

“Who told you Tom, and Ryder, kidnapped Dec,” counters Mari.

“They told us themselves.”

Orin presses a button and the recording begins to play, Mari watches it in silence.

“You see, Mari? I’m sorry but it’s the truth,” Orin’s voice is soft.

“Tomasz was the only one of his brothers that, Dax, trusted fully—he trusted him with everything,” Mari’s eyes are softly unfocused but they sharpen as they fall on Orin. “You wouldn’t know what the truth was if it jumped up and bit you on the backside! Who gave you that tape?”

“Jimmy Brook—”

“Jimmy?” Mari’s voice is incredulous and she slides into the seat she is standing next to. “Jimmy?”

“Yes he found—”

“Orin! You have to send one to find him, to fetch him here—quickly before it’s too late!” her voice is panicky.

“Calm down, Mari, why—”

“Orin, it’s him!” Mari is almost hysterical. “It’s him—he killed Dax, and Roland and Rothe—all of them!”

“Mari get a hold on yourself, you don’t know what you’re saying,” reprimands Orin.

“You don’t understand,” Mari try’s to quell the shuddering breaths that rack her small frame. “Dax sent, Dec, to live with Tom. He was afraid that if he didn’t Dec would die—he was so fragile and vulnerable, Dax said keeping him was like signing he death warrant ourselves. He said the only way of keeping him safe was to send him away with Tom, but we couldn’t tell anyone for fear that we would tell the very person who wanted to kill him!”

As Mari finishes, her breathless sobbing is the only sound that can be heard in the silent room.

“You knew—all the time you knew and you never told us,” Val’s voice is soft.

“How could I—I hardly believed it was true at first, after Roland died and Dax, insisted that it wasn’t an accident, I didn’t believe him, I thought that it was the grief. But then Rehu died and Dax, got scared and sent Dec away,” Mari’s voice wobbles and tears course down her face. “And then Dax…how could I not believe then, and how could I trust any of you when I found it impossible to mistrust one of you?”

“You called me Mr. Orin?” Lester has re entered the room.

“I called you,” it is Adin that answers. “Take a patrol and have Jim Brook brought here at once.”

Lester leaves the room looking slightly bemused and the brothers assembled all turn to Adin.

“That recording could easily have been altered—to say that the moon was cheese if that was what Jimmy wanted it to say,” Adin spreads out his hands. “I need a heck of a lot more than that to give my own brother a death sentence!”

“Ryder destroyed the recordings,” points out Jeshua.

“He had too, they showed that Deeta and Jan—and Tom—were from the tribe that had, Dec,” explains Mari. “Ryder couldn’t have the killer knowing that, Dec, had been with, Tom, the whole time, and twisting the facts to incriminate him.”

“But, Jimmy, did see, and do just that,” Val mutters, sinking his head into his hands.

“And we believed him!” Jayden groans.

“Jimmy, seemed pretty sure that, Tom, wouldn’t kill Adin,” Val remarks slowly. “If Tom, and Ryder, were trying to kill us one by one, Adin would be dead.”

“So would, Dec,” Mari’s voice is husky.

There is a small disturbance at the door and Lester walks in.

“Excuse me sir, but we can’t seem to find, Jimmy,” his tone is apologetic.

“What do you mean?”

“The records show that he left the compound, fifteen minutes ago, sir.”

“He knew we were on to him!” Val’s fist crashes on to the table in exasperation.

“No, wait—how could he?” asks Cayden, “Tom and Rye didn’t exactly protest innocence, in fact quite the reverse.”

“If, Jimmy didn’t expect us to twig what was happening, why leave? He could have done a lot more harm if he had stayed,” Blake reasons.

“And where is he going anyway?” asks Jeshua.

“I don’t know, but I’d bet a packet that something’s going to happen—something not good,” answers Adin.

“Then we should make preparation, forewarned is forearmed,” states Orin. “We’ll put the guard on high alert.”

“I think it’s going to need a bit more than that,” Adin’s voice is serious.

“You don’t think—not a bomb?” Val’s voice is hardly more than a whisper.

Adin shakes his head slowly.

“What if…” he pauses before beginning again. “Jimmy’s father was a Lewis.”

“What are you saying?” asks Dagny.

“That he has no reason to kill us—he has no position on the board that can be strengthened with us out of the way,” Adin’s voice is slow and calm. “That means he needs help, and the Lewis’s would be only too willing to offer their services.” 

~~~~~~~~

Jimmy leans against the wall trying to get his breath back. Who was it that had said revenge was sweet? They had seriously understated the matter! This feeling of elation and power, the gratification of seeing his plans fall into place after so many years—years of being on the fringe of everything. Years of sucking up to the council and being slighted by everyone and yet being used by them at the same time as a means to get close to the brothers—his brothers, he wonders vaguely how he has stood it for so long.

Paul Andak had tolerated the son of his third wife’s first marriage, realizing that Jim was part of the deal. He had been brought up with Paul Andaks sons, but he was not one of them, he had no place in Paul’s kingdom. He was no heir and yet he was not a subject either, he was…a complication.

His appeal to others was that was that he was, in a way, close to the brothers; he had been around them so much that they accepted his presence—didn’t really notice it. It had been his strength and their weakness. He knew everything that had happened, the decisions the council made, he had seen them discussed, but he had had no say in them.

And he hated them for it, for all they stood for, and yet all the while coveting their position and all they had. For years he had bided his time, that he might take everything from them, and now finally here was the opportunity. With Tom and Ryder framed, and the brothers divided, they were at their most vulnerable.

He had contacted the Lewis tribe and had told them to prepare for attack, by the time he reached his father’s tribe all would be ready—not that he had any allusions there: the Lewis’s had been fighting the Andaks since the breakdown, they too had coveted the Andak’s power and when he had gone to them with his proposition they had promised all he asked—they had promised too much. He had no doubt that they had no intention of honouring their side of the bargain. They had probably decided to kill him but he was prepared for that—he knew how easy it was to kill your mark in the heat of battle when no one would see. All he would have to do was wait until the Andak’s were almost defeated and then he would take out the joint chiefs of the Lewis tribe along with any Andak brothers that might still be alive.

He would reign over two tribes and two cities, from there who knew? Jimmy smiles to himself—maybe he would take over the world!

~~~~~~~~

We enter the outer reaches of Marshall territory at dusk, long ago I ceased to be anything but numbed to the aching coldness that envelops my body. Tom’s arm around my shoulder and my left side down to my waist is sharing his warmth.

There is nothing about Marshall territory that I recognize, most of the buildings have been reduced to rubble and the general surroundings have the appearance of a war zone. In the distance I see the compound; it’s blackened walls only just discernable in the half light.

Tom say’s we’re headed to war, he says that now he knows that Jimmy is behind everything he has a pretty good idea of his plan. Not that Tom has spoken much, all through our journey he has been preoccupied and silent, with a grim frown darkening his features.

“You look worried, Tom,” my voice is uncertain.

For a moment he is quiet, staring at the ground.

“I’d be a fool if I wasn’t worried, Deeta.”

“Will it be that bad?”

“Deeta, when this ends, if we don’t win the Lewis’s will destroy every tribe in this city—and anyone who tries to stop them.”

For a moment we walk on in silence.

“How likely is it that they’ll win?” my voice trembles ever so slightly.

“If we’re to have a chance, just a chance, we’ll need the help of every tribe,” he turns to me suddenly. “They don’t care, Deeta, they just don’t care how many people are killed in their pursuit of power, they only care about winning—how do you fight someone who would willingly sacrifice a thousand men to kill one of their enemies?”

I’ve never seen Tom like this before, I never thought that it was possible for him to be so riled.

“I’m scared, Tom,” I admit nervously.

“There’s nothing wrong with fear, Deeta, it’s healthy, you’ll find that the fearless are fools who never live long, and besides—if you have no fear how can you have courage and bravery?”

We walk in silence for a while, it never occurred to me that we might not succeed, that we might lose this battle that has been forced upon us—good always triumphs over evil—doesn’t it?

As we get closer to the Marshall compound I see the figures on guard in the entry way, one of these figures straightens and, let out a shout, runs to meet us, I fall into Nella’s arms.

“Deeta!” her eyes are brimful of tears and we clasp each other wordlessly for a moment. “Heck, Deet, you’re sodden!”

“So’s Tom, and he’s been shot, we need to get him inside and seen to, he wouldn’t even stop long enough for me to bind the wound.”

“Have the other’s arrived yet?” asks Tom.

“They’ve been here for half an hour,” nods Nella.

Tom’s large frame relaxes on to my shoulder.

“Quick, Nell, get the other side of him, we have to get him inside.”

We lurch into the building under his weight.

“Deet! Thank goodness!” Jan cannons into my arms, tears streaming down her face.

“It’s okay, Janny, don’t cry.”

Tom is still leaning on me and with my free hand I smooth the hair back from her face looking questioningly at Ryder.

“We weren’t sure if you made it out, we never saw a pod,” he explains.

“We didn’t use one,” Tom laughs softly, he has a film of moisture over his flushed features. Ryder’s face registers shock and worried he comes over to take Nella's place at Tom’s side.

“Jan—Janny listen to me: I need a first aid kit—”

Jan pulls away from me looking over me anxiously.

“If those swine’s have hurt you again—”

“Not me, Janny,” I interject. “Tom’s hit—now quick get me a first aid box.”

“No worries, Deeta, I’ve got it here,” Nella hands me the box. “Do you need to dig anything out?”

“No it’s a clean wound, the bullet past straight through.”

I reach up and place my hand on Tom’s forehead, feeling him lean into the coolness of my fingers.

“Heck, Tom, you’re burning up!” I turn quickly to Jan. “Janny go and find Tom, something dry to put on—be quick!”

I begin to propel Tom towards the stairs and then check, his weight on my shoulder is gradually increasing.

“Rye, can you help me, he’s so heavy—Robin can we still heat water?”

Robin nods his head in affirmation.

“Can we manage a bath full?”

“I’ll see to it.”

It is Ryder who manages to get Tom up the stairs and into the bedroom, without him we would probably have ended a heap at the bottom of the staircase. We stagger into the room and sit Tom on the edge of the bed, his breathing is laboured and around his eyes I see an angry redness. I manoeuvre his right arm out of his leather jacket and then carefully ease it over his left arm and shoulder. The dark blue crew neck jumper that he’s wearing will not be so easy.

“I’d cut it off if I was you.”

Ryder pulls a knife from his belt and hands it to me, with the sodden jumper discarded it is easy to get rid of the shirt and tee shirt Tom is wearing underneath it.

The wound is ugly, the surrounding skin red and hot but thankfully the bleeding is sluggish, I wash it carefully, watching him for any sign of pain but he doesn’t flinch, just sit’s with his eyes closed and his head bent. When I have finished bandaging it, Robin knocks at the door, he has several other men with him and they have brought the hot water up, I hear them emptying the contents of their containers into the bath.

“Hadn’t you better…” Ryder signals to the door and I flush embarrassed.

“Oh—yes—I’d better change before I catch a chill.”

I move to the door aware of the amusement in Ryder’s eyes and wanting to get as far away from it as possible.

“Deeta?” Tom’s voice is hoarse and slurred, calling to me as I reach for the door handle. “Thanks, Deeta.”

 I smile and mummer something that even I find unintelligible before leaving the room, Ryder bends down to undo Tom’s boots.

“So, you want to tell me what’s going on?”

“With what?” asks Tom wearily.

“You and Deeta—what’s the deal?”

Tom laughs faintly.

“You always were a cad, Rye, only you would wait until I’m in high fever to give me a mini inquisition!”

“That’s not an answer, Tommy.”

Tom remains silent for a minute.

“Help me to the bathroom—I won’t need your services after that—and then I’ll tell you about it.”

“Sounds fair,” shrugs Ryder.

It is a few minutes later when Ryder, sitting with his back against the door jamb, and staring out into the bedroom calls through to Tom, reminding him of their bargain.

“What do you want to know?” asks Tom.

“Well I just can’t figure it out: you give her the locket, go around being some kind of hero to her—Dec tells me that she looks after you and all your brats—and yet you do nothing about it, what’s the game?”

“No game, no deal—no nothing,” replies Tom.

“Yeah right—you’re just friends,” Ryder allows a large helping of scepticism to colour his voice.

“You don’t understand,” Tom’s tone is flat.

“I understand that she risked her life to keep you safe, Tom.”

“Deeta, would risk her life for anyone she thought needed help,” Tom’s voice becomes bitter. “That’s a novel idea isn’t it, can you imagine Nova risking her pretty neck for anything—except perhaps power?”

“But we weren’t talking of just anyone—we were talking of you.”

“What do you want me to say, Rye? That I like the girl? I do, if things were different I’d marry her.”

“If what was different?”

“You just don’t stop, do you?” Tom sounds incredulous.

“I’ve been told I resemble a stuck record before now,” reminisces Ryder with a smile.

“Too right,” sighs Tom. “If I wasn’t Andak I guess.”

“Sounds like a get out to me.”

“Maybe—but I can’t take the chance that she’ll get hurt.”

“By who?”

“Me I suppose,” Tom pauses. “You know how they’ll treat her, and I won’t always be around, what if I can’t protect her from them?”

“She can take care of herself—trust me I’ve seen her,” assures Ryder.

“But what if she can’t?” Tom’s voice is quiet, giving Ryder pause for thought.

He had imagined that Tom had some plan, that he wanted Deeta but he wanted her on his terms, he never thought that it was like this, that Tom loved her to much to risk taking her to a place where she might be unhappy, or worse where she might be forced to metamorphose into something different, something commonplace in their world that Tom had no tender feelings for. If he had wanted a women like that Nova would gladly have filled the position for him.

Ryder knew better than anyone the disdain that Tom held the women of their tribe in, Ryder found their blatant hunger for power and their willingness to use their charms as a means to an end amusing in a pathetic sort of way. Tom was different he hated their calculation and manipulation, he despised them for their willingness to sell themselves to the highest bidder in pursuit of power, the man that came with that power could be a raving lunatic and they wouldn’t care.

Ryder hadn’t known Deeta for very long but a few things were abundantly clear about her: she was loyal to the point of putting herself in danger for others, she was courageous in the face of her fears and all this without any expectation of gain of any sort. Nothing could have been more attractive to Tom, Ryder suspected that even in her own world she was unique in her kindness and lack of selfishness.

Tom appears in the doorway dressed in the clothes that Robin brought up, and staggers across to the bed, casting himself full length across its softness.

“I’ve thought about it, Rye, ever since she was fourteen and I realized it was changing between us. I tried to think of a way that it could happen—I’ve had six years to think about it and it always comes back to one thing—what if she can’t handle it?”

“But she could—” begins Ryder.

“But what if she can’t?” 

Ryder found himself silenced by Tom’s words and the look of resignation on his face.

“Exactly—I can’t risk it.”

His weary voice is roughened with emotion.

“Besides we have more important things to talk about.”

“Jimmy,” states Ryder.

“Jimmy,” Toms eyes are closed, dark smudges stark against the paleness of his face. “I never thought of Jimmy.”

“No one did, that’s why he managed to stay alive for so long,” Ryder’s voice is even now disdainful. “But not for much longer.”

Tom moves his head restlessly on the pillow.

“We have to move quickly.”

“What do you mean?” Ryder’s voice is sharp, his out stretched arms hold Tom to the bed. “You have to rest, Tommy.”

“Rye, you’re a tactician think about it, in Jimmy’s place what would you do?”

“Come on, Tommy, we’re talking about Jimmy!”

“Yes that’s right—you have to stop thinking about him as a non entity, he’s clever and a clever man would know that now is the time to attack, while we’re in disarray and unsure—I’d bet anything you like that he’s back with his father’s tribe even now, mobilizing Lewis troops against us.”

Ryder blanches leaning forwards in an attitude of intense alertness.

“You don’t think…”

“I’m positive, and at the moment their chances are better than ours.”

“We have to activate the sleepers.”

“It should be our first move,” agrees Tom. “We haven’t a chance if we can’t get the other tribes on our side—but we also need our tribe on our side.”

“And how are you proposing to do that?”

“Mari, will have explained that, Dax, sent, Dec, to be with me and that I didn’t kidnap him; that will cast some doubt on our guilt,” Tom moves restlessly. “And Jimmy, will know that he has to strike fast, he’s probably left the compound already and when the council finds out, putting two and two together will come more easy than you’d think.”

“What makes you think that they suspect him? He could make up a reasonable excuse to leave the compound.”

Tom shakes his head slowly.

“They’ll find it a lot easier to suspect him than us.”

Ryder leans back against the wall.

“I still don’t relish walking into the compound, bold as brass, and trying to talk them round.”

“Whether you relish it or not, that is precisely what you’ll find yourself doing tomorrow morning.”

“Tomorrow? Wouldn’t tonight be better?”

“No—let them sleep on it,” Tom’s smile is tired. “Besides I’m not brave enough for that: I’m not really relishing the idea of talking them round either!”

“Are you sure you’ll be up to it? It’s a fair way to the compound…”

“I’ll be fine,” dismisses Tom.

“Maybe…on the other hand you’ll be about as much use as a stiff if you’re delirious and weak with fever.”

“And if I don’t come and the Lewis’s win, I’ll be a stiff—I think I’ll take my chances.”

Some time elapses before Ryder speaks again, his voice a little hesitant.

“How sure are you that the council won’t just shoot us on sight?”

Tom is silent, not appearing to hear.

“Tommy?...Tommy?”

Ryder leans forward over Tom’s still figure to find him fast asleep, he straightens a wistful smile on his lips.

“You’re unbelievable, Tommy...but I envy you your assurance.”

He walks to the door, opening it carefully, and shutting it softly behind him as he leaves the bedroom.

So they know it's Jimmy.........and they are going back to the Andak compound!!!!

Hope you liked this chapter, please vote!

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38 0 11
It's a new generation and Grace, a teen in the far future, is off in hopes to find a lake. Her mother doesn't want her to go, but she isn't telling...
261 40 30
"You killed him!" Savanna shrieks. "I had no choice!" "Yes, you did! You didn't have to pull the trigger!" Savanna shrieks again. "He's dangerous...
1.9K 635 31
Cover credit : The amazing and wonderful @hudhasmiles123 "She set out to capture him and the only one who was captured..was her." Darrel had a mounta...
55 0 58
A deadly disease. The world has ended. Civilization has collapsed. Cities stay silent, barely a remnant of times past, humanity's broken legacy. In t...