Book 1: Hikaru

By NobodyXidel

(Avatar Last Airbender Fanfic) Hikaru, a mysterious water bender, has always struggled to survive. In a war... More

The Start of it All
The Avatar
Pirates
Freedom Fighters
Storm
Prison Break
Hikaru's Fortune
Trust
The Deserter
Homecoming
Siege
Epilogue
Book 2: Serene

Winter Solstice

337 6 0
By NobodyXidel

    Late that night, I was lying on the roof of one of the buildings, watching the stars.  Thinking about my next move.

    "I've found the Avatar, now all I have to do is convince him to help my people," I thought, "But how do I explain it to him, and when?  Right now Aang needs to get to the Fire Temple in the Fire Nation.  I can help him get in, but what do I do after that?"

    "Let's go Appa, come on!" I heard a voice say.

    I got up and saw Aang tugging on Appa's reins, trying to get him to leave.

    "Aang?" I wondered, "What's he doing?"

    "Look, I'm sorry," apologized Aang, "But Katara and Sokka aren't coming to the Fire Nation with us.  If they got hurt I'd never forgive myself.  So get your big butt off the ground and lets go!"

    "I think his big butt is trying to tell ya something," said Sokka as he, Katara and the rest of the villagers walked out of the main hall.

    "Please don't go Aang," begged Katara, "The world can't afford to lose you to the Fire Nation, and neither can I."

    "But I have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what my vision means," argued Aang, "I need to get to the Fire Temple, before the sun sets on the solstice and that's today."

    "We're not letting you go into the Fire Nation Aang," said Katara.

    "At least not without your friends," finished Sokka, "We got your back."

    Then Appa gave Sokka a big lick as if to thank him, but Sokka didn't appreciate it as much, "Ewww!"

    "Mind if I tag along?" I asked jumping down from the building.

    "Hikaru?" asked Aang.

    "You want to come with us?" asked Katara.

    "Why not?" I asked, "I owe the Avatar for helping this village and besides, I know that island better than the three of you."

    "Wait are you telling me you've been to that island before?" asked Sokka.

    "Course," I said with a smirk, "In fact, I know someone who can help us once we're inside."

    "Are you sure?" asked Katara, "It'll be dangerous."

    "I can hold my own in fight," I said clumsily climbing aboard Appa, "Trust me, you'll need me on this one."

    "It's a long journey to the crescent island," said the Leader, "You'll have to fly fast, if you have any chance of making it before sun down.  Good luck."

    "Thank you for all your---" started Aang.

    "GO!" shouted the Leader and Appa took us into the air.

    "So it begins," I thought as we made our way to the Fire Temple.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    As the sun began to rise, we were approaching the Fire Nation border. 

    "Come on boy we've got a long way to go," urged Aang to Appa, "Let's go!"

    As we grew closer I could smell smoke, but couldn't tell where it was coming from.

    "Aang we've got trouble," called Katara.

    "Yeah, and it's gaining fast," added Sokka.

    I looked in the ocean behind us and saw a small Fire Nation ship gain speed to catch us.

    "A Fire Nation ship!" I realized, "No wonder I was smelling smoke."

    "FIREBALL!" shouted Katara as the ship had fired a large fireball at us.

    "I'm on it!" said Aang as he guided Appa out of the fireballs path.

    The smoke from the fireball, gave off an unbearable odor, making all of us want to puke.

    "We have to get out of Zuko's range, before he shoots another hot stinker at us!" said Katara.

    "Wait, Zuko?" I thought as I looked back at the ship, "Prince Zuko, is that really you?"

    "Can't you make Appa go faster?" asked Sokka.

    "Yeah, but there's just one little problem," said Aang as we looked what was ahead.

    "A blockade," I said as we saw many large Fire Nation ships at the border of the Fire Nation.

    "If we fly north we can go around the Fire Nation and avoid the blockade," explained Aang, "It's the only way."

    "If we do that, we won't make it to the island in time," I explained.

    "There's no time," agreed Katara.

    "This is exactly why I didn't want you to come," said Aang, "It's too dangerous."

    "And that's exactly why we're here," said Katara.

    "Let's run this blockade!" cheered Sokka.

    "Appa, Yip, Yip!" ordered Aang as we dove towards the blockade.

    As we approached all the ships began to shoot fireballs at us.

    "Here comes their attack!" I said.

    Appa, with the help of Aang, managed to dodge all the fireballs thrown at us.  However they just kept coming.  Suddenly two fireballs collided with each other, right in front of Appa, the aftermath of the hit burned Appa.  Katara, Sokka, Momo and I did our best to put out the small burns on Appa's side.

    "Appa are you ok?" asked Aang as Appa growled as if to say yes.

    "We have to get out of their line of fire!" I shouted.

    "Right," agreed Aang as he took us higher into the air, hidden in the clouds.

    Just when we thought we we're safe, the clouds that we were hoping would give us cover, ended up concealing where the fireballs were coming from.  Then another set of fireballs collided in front of us. Appa was able to tough out the aftermath, but Sokka fell from the saddle!

    "SOKKA!!" screamed Aang as he directed Appa down to catch Sokka.

    Right before Sokka hit the water, Katara and I managed to pull Sokka back onto Appa.  As Aang pulled up to hover over the water, the Fire Nation ship took this chance to press the attack.  As we got closer one ship in particular was holding their fire, waiting for us to get closer.

    "This is bad," I thought as we approached the blockade, "At close range we won't be able to dodge that!  If it comes down to it I might have to---what am I saying?!  I can't do that!  If I do these guys won't trust me, but if I don't--"

    Finally the fireball was fired and heading straight for us.  I quickly stood up getting into my fighting stance, ready to take care of the fireball even if it meant blowing my cover.  Then Aang leaped forward and used his airbending to smash the rock before it could hit us, allowing us to pass through the blockade.

    "WE MADE IT!" cheered Aang.

    "We got into the Fire Nation," said Sokka in disbelief, "Great."

    "That was close," I sighed.

    "Uh, Hikaru?" asked Katara, "What are you doing?"

    Realizing I was still in my special fighting stance I quickly sat back down, "Oh, uh nothing."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    After hours of flying, the gang began to grow tired, but not me.  I kept a constant watch for the crescent island.  Getting into the Temple is no problem, but once we get inside, we would have to move fast.  In the Fire Nation nothing is safe, not even the Fire Temple.  Then just over the clouds, I saw a familiar volcano.

    "There it is!" I shouted, getting everyone's attention.

    "This is it," agreed Aang, "The island where Roku's dragon took me."

    Once we landed and dismounted Appa, I grabbed two gourds from my sack and placed them on both sides of my waistbelt.  Then I began to scan the area for firebenders.

    "I know, there weren't any soldiers here last time I was here," I thought, "But even so the Sages won't be pleased to see the Avatar."

    "You did it buddy. Nice flying," thanked Aang as Appa rolled over on it's back, exhausted.

    "Aw, you must be tired," said Katara sweetly.

    "No, I'm good," said Sokka as he stretched, "Refreshed and ready to fight some Firebenders!"

    "I was talking to Appa," said Katara.

    "Well...I was..talking to..Momo," stuttered Sokka.

    "Can it!" I whispered, "You do realized where we are don't you?  Come on, the Temple's this way."

    Once we arrived near the Temples entrance, we stopped to look over the area.

    "I don't see any guards," observed Sokka.

    "The Fire Nation abandoned the Temple when Avatar Roku died," I explained, "But that doesn't mean that it's free from danger."

    "It's almost sun down, we better hurry" said Aang as we ran inside, with Momo flying close behind.

    "Stay close," I whispered leading them through the Temple, "If we're lucky, we'll avoid them completely."

    "Avoid who?" asked Katara.

    "Wait, I think I heard something," said Sokka as we looked behind us.

    "Oh no," I thought as we saw five men standing behind us.

    "We are the Fire Sages, Guardians of the Temple of the Avatar," introduced the Sage in front.

    "Great, I am the Avatar," said Aang.

    "We know," said the Sage as three of the Sage's threw fireballs at us.

    "LOOK OUT!" I shouted as I opened the quarks on my gourds.  I used my left hand to bend the water to make a quick shield, blocking the attack, "I'll hold them off!  RUN!"

    They quickly left the room, leaving me to handle the Sages.  I then pushed the water at the Sage's feet, causing them to fall to the ground.  As I put the water back into the gourds, I ran to find my companions, before they got into more trouble.

    "Where did they run off to?" I wondered as I ran threw the halls. Then I realized I was being followed by one of the Sages, "Got to lose em."

    Just then, Aang darted from a corner and realized who was behind me.

    "WRONG WAY!" he shouted as the two of us turned the corner and ran past Katara, Sokka and Momo.

    "COME BACK!" shouted the Sage.

    "Wait a minute, I know that voice!" I realized as we ran, "Aang take this next right!"

    Aang quickly took the quick right, with the rest of us close behind.  Then quickly stopped for I had led them to a dead end.

    "Are you trying to get us caught, Hikaru!?" snapped Sokka as the Sage cornered us.

    "I don't want to fight you!" said the Sage, "I am a friend."

    "Firebenders aren't our friends," snapped Sokka.

    Then the Sage approached and knelt down before Aang, "I know why you're here, Avatar."

    "You do?" asked Aang.

    "Yes," said the Sage as he stood, "You wish to speak with Avatar Roku.  I can take you to him."

    "How?" asked Aang still unsure.

    Then the Sage turned a nearby lantern revealing a small hole in the wall.  He then placed his hand over the hole and used his firebending through it, which opened a corridor in the wall.

    "This way," directed the Sage, but we were still unsure.

    "Find him," we heard one of the Sages say closing in.

    "Time is running out!  Quickly!" begged the Sage as we all ran into the corridor.

    As soon as we all were through, the Sage closed the door behind us.  Inside the corridor, was a magma built cave.  Filled with tunnels and pits of lava from the volcano.

    "That was close," I said then turned to the Sage, "Don't scare me like that Shyu!"

    "Wait you know this guy?" asked Sokka.

    "Course I do," I replied, "Shyu here lets me hide out here from time to time."

    "I'm sorry Hikaru, but I had to wait until I could get away from the other Sages," apologized Shyu, "But I'm glad to see you again and with the Avatar."

    "So this is the guy you said would help us," realized Aang.

    "Yup," I smiled, "Everyone meet Shyu, the youngest of the Fire Sages."

    "It's an honor to meet you," bowed Shyu.

    "So where are we?" asked Sokka.

    "Avatar Roku once called this Temple his home," explained Shyu, "He formed these secret passages out of the magma."

    "Did you know Avatar Roku?" asked Aang.

    "No, but my grandfather knew him," said Shyu, "Many generations of Fire Sages guarded this Temple long before me.  We all have a strong spiritual connection to this place."

    "Is that how you knew I was coming?" asked Aang.

    "A few weeks ago, an amazing thing occurred," answered Shyu, "The statue of Avatar Roku, it's eyes began to glow!"

    "That same thing happened at the Air Temple," realized Katara, "Avatar Roku's eyes were glowing there too!"

    "At that moment," continued Shyu, "We knew you had returned to the world."

    "If this is the Avatar's Temple, then why did the Sages attack me?" asked Aang.

    "Things have changed. In the past the Sages were only loyal to the Avatar," explained Shyu, "When Roku died, the Sages eagerly waited for the next Avatar to return, but he never came."

    "You were waiting for me," said Aang sadly.

    "Hey don't feel bad," comforted Sokka, "You're only 100 years late."

    "They lost hope that the Avatar would ever return," continued Shyu, "Then when Fire Lord Sozin began the war, my grandfather and the other Sages were forced to follow him.  I never wanted to serve the Fire Lord, when I learned you were coming, I knew I would have to betray the other Sages."

    "Thank you for helping me," thanked Aang making Shyu smile.

    "I also asked Hikaru to find you, since we both were in need of the Avatar," added Shyu, "If anyone could find you it's Hikaru, not to mention her special skill."

    "You mean her water bending?" asked Katara.

    "Wait, you said Hikaru needed my help," said Aang.

    "Yes," nodded Shyu, "I'm surprised she hasn't already asked.  Hikaru needs your help in---"

    "STOPPING THE FIRE NATION," I shouted to stop Shyu from finishing, "I mean, the whole world needs your help in that, I'm just happy to help."

    Shyu was surprised and confused by my sudden outburst, but didn't press the matter.  We both knew I was going to have to tell them eventually.

    "We'll follow these stairs to the Sanctuary," led Shyu, "Once you're inside, wait for the light to hit Avatar Roku's statue only then will you be able to speak with him."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    When we arrived at the top of the Temple, Shyu and I were surprised to find the Avatar Chamber door had been closed.

    "Oh no!" said Shyu.

    "Shyu, what's wrong?" asked Aang.

    "The Sanctuary doors, they're closed!" said Shyu as we looked at the door.

    The door was large and had the Fire Nation insignia behind five holes.  Aang tried to open the door, but it wouldn't budge.

    "Can't you just open it with fire bending?" asked Katara, "Like you opened that other door?"

    "No, only a fully realized Avatar is powerful enough to open this door alone," explained Shyu, "Otherwise the Sages must open the door together, with five simultaneous fire blasts."

    "Five fire blasts, huh?" thought Sokka as he thought of something, "I think I can help you out."

    "How?" I asked.

    "This is a little trick I picked up from my father," explained Sokka as he made five powder filled bags, "All Shyu has to do is light the oil soaked line and.....TADA!  Fake firebending!"

    "You've really outdone yourself this time, Sokka," smiled Katara.

    "This might actually work," said Shyu as Sokka then placed the powder bags in the five holes on the door, "The Sages will hear the explosion, so as soon as they go off, you rush in!"

    "It's almost sunset, are you ready?" Katara asked Aang as Sokka ran behind a pillar, with the rest of us.

    "Definitely," said Aang as Shyu lit the lines.

    "I hope this works," I thought as the explosions went off.

    Aang quickly rushed toward the door, but the door did not open, "They're still locked!"

    "It didn't work," said Shyu.

    Aang then angrily used his airbending to try and open the door, "WHY---WON'T---IT---OPEN!?"

    "AANG STOP!" yelled Katara as she stop him, "There's nothing else we can do."

    "I'm sorry I put you all through this for nothing," apologized Aang.

    "Come on guys, there has to be something we can do," I said.

    "I don't get it," said Sokka as he examined the door with Momo, "That blast looked as strong as any firebending I've seen."

    "Sokka---You're a genius!" said Katara.

    "Wait, how is Sokka a genius?" asked Aang, "His plan didn't even work."

    "Come on Aang, let her dream," said Sokka.

    "You're right Sokka's plan didn't work," agreed Katara, "But it looks like it did."

    "Did the definition of genius change in the last hundred years?" asked Aang still not getting it.

    "Wait, you're right," I realized, "The Sage's will think Aang got in, so why don't we let them think that."

    "Right," smiled Katara as we put our plan into motion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Come quickly!" shouted Shyu as the other Sages arrived, "The Avatar has entered the Sanctuary!"

    Aang and I hid high up on the pillars, while Sokka and Katara were hiding on the ground.

    "How did he get in?" asked the Sage from before.

    "I don't know, but look at the scorch marks and down there," pointed Shyu as a shadow past by the door from the inside.

    "He's inside!" shouted the Sage, "Open the doors immediately, before he contacts Avatar Roku!"

    I urged Aang to start heading down, as the five Sages used their firebending to open the door.  However when it opened the only one inside was Momo.

    "It's the Avatar's lemur," said the Sage, "He must have crawled through the pipes!  We've been tricked!"

    Momo then leaped onto the Sage's head, distracting him, while Katara and Sokka immobilized two of the Sages. 

    Then Shyu held back the last Sage, "Now Aang!"

    But there was no response then Katara shouted, "Aang now's your chance!"

    "The Avatar's coming with me," said a familiar voice as a teenager held Aang, leading him out of the Temple.

    "Zuko, it really is you," I thought then noticed his scar on his left eye, "What has the Fire Lord done to you?"

    Then the rest of the Sage's broke free and now holding Shyu, Katara and Sokka as Momo flew away.

    "Close the doors! Quickly!" ordered Zuko as he began to take Aang away.

    "What do I do?" I thought as Sokka, Katara were being chained to a pillar, "If I save Sokka and Katara, I won't be able to save Aang.  But if I go to save Aang, I'll be going against my promise. Think, think, think!"

    Suddenly Aang managed to get away from Zuko and used a guts of air to knock Zuko down the tunnel we entered from.  Aang then darted for the door as two of the Sages stood in front of him as the door was closing.  Quickly Aang leaped over the two Sages as they attack and managed to squeeze through the door before it closed.

    "He made it!" cheered Katara as the door glowed brightly.

    Then Zuko and the other four Sages used their firebending to open the door, but the door did not open.

    "Why isn't it working, it's sealed shut!" asked Zuko frustrated.   

    "It must have been the light," said the Sage, "Avatar Roku does not want us inside."

    "Why did you help the Avatar?" Zuko asked Shyu.

    "Because it was once the Sage's duty," said Shyu, "It is still our duty."

    "What a moving and heartfelt performance," said voice coming into the room with six Fire Nation soldiers, "I'm sure the Fire Lord will understand, when you explain why you betrayed him."

    "Commander Zhao," bowed the Sage.

    "Commander Zhao!!" I thought recognizing him.

    "Prince Zuko, it was a noble effort, but you're little smokescreen didn't work," said Zhao, "Two traitors in one day, the Fire Lord will be pleased."

    "You're too late Zhao!" shouted Zuko as a soldier restrained him, "The Avatar is inside and the doors are sealed!"

    "No matter," smiled Zhao, "Sooner or later, he has to come out."

    "And when he does," I said opening my gourds, "I'll tell him you said hi!"

    I leaped down from the pillar and kicked the soldier holding Zuko with the water, knocking the soldier to the wall.  I then quickly froze the water, trapping him.

    "Stop her!" ordered Zhao as the remaining five soldiers prepared to attack.

    I then froze the water at my feet making the soles of my shoes smooth.  When they all tried to hit me with a fireblast, I skated out of the way.  The soldiers tried to hit me again, but I skated away once again.  Then I skated around and kicked one of the soldiers into another one, knocking them to the ground.  The remaining three tried to attack me again with fire blasts, but still couldn't hit me.  As I skated right for them, I made two ice plates and slammed them into two of the soldiers, knocking them out.  Then using the rest of my water, I rushed the remaining solder with water, then froze him.

    "Ha!  Is that all you---" I started but was then interrupted by Zhao, who had used his flames to melt my ice skates, causing me to collapse to the floor.

    When I tried to stand up, Zhao slammed his foot on my back, stopping me.  I looked back at Zuko, who was being held by one of the Fire Sage's.

    "Hikaru!" shouted Shyu.

    "So, this is the famous Hikaru, the Devil Waterbender of the Fire Nation," laughed Zhao, "The one not a single Fire Nation soldier has even been able to catch, until now.  However I'm must say I'm disappointed, when I heard the stories about you I assumed, you'd put up more of a fight."

    "Hehe, you fool-of-a-Commander Zhao," I laughed, "If me and you were to fight one-on-one, how confident are you that you'd walk away with a scratch."

    Zhao growled and slammed his foot on my back once more, "Tie her up good and tight!  The Avatar will be coming out soon."

    After the Sage's chained me up, more than Sokka, Katara, and Shyu, the soldiers, who recovered from the fight, prepared to attack the Avatar.  Zuko was also tied up, but was one a separate pillar like me.

    "When those doors open, unleash all your fire power!" ordered Zhao.   

    "How is Aang going to make it out of this?" asked Katara.

    "How are WE going to make it out of this!?" asked Sokka.

    "Calm down you guys," I said, "There's always a way."

    Then the door began to glow again as it opened.  Inside the dark chamber, a pair of white glowing eyes, pierced through the darkness.

    "NO!!  AANG!!!!" shouted Katara as Sokka struggled to get free.

    "Oh no!" I thought.

    "Ready---FIRE!!" shouted Zhao as they unleashed a powerful fireblast at Aang.

    Suddenly the flames were being redirected, revealed not Aang, but someone else!

    "Avatar Roku!?" said Shyu shocked.

    Roku then directed the flames back at the soldiers, which also freed Sokka, Katara, Shyu, Zuko and I from the chains.  Zuko saw his chance and quickly fled the scene.  Then the Temple began to shake!

    "Avatar Roku is going to destroy the Temple!" said Shyu, "We have to get out of here!"

    "Not without Aang!" shouted Katara as the remaining soldiers fled the Temple.

    "Shyu, go!" I said, "I can protect these guys, just get out of here!"

    Shyu nodded, "Alright, be careful Hikaru."

    As Shyu left Roku then used the magma from the bottom of the Temple and shot it upward from various places in the Temple.  Then he stopped and the smoke around him, surrounded him, and when it cleared Aang was standing there.  The overwhelming energy caused him to stubble to the ground, but Sokka and Katara caught him.

    "We got your back," said Sokka helping him up.

    "Thanks," thanked Aang as they carried him out, "Where's Shyu?"

    "We don't know," said Katara.

    "Let's focus on getting out of here," I said as we walk towards the passage, but the passage had been blocked by the rising magma!

    We ran toward the large burned hole in the wall, leading outside, but we were too high up to jump and the Temple was falling.  Suddenly Momo came flying in, with Appa closely behind.  When Appa got close, we all jumped into the saddle and quickly flew away from the island.

    "Good-bye, Shyu," I thought, "I'll do my best to help the Avatar, even if it means keeping my past hidden from them.  I will have to find another way to convince him to help my people."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11K 113 25
Hey guys!! This is a sequel to my story "The Pumpkin Princess". Also I crossed it over with Disney's Descendants because tbh The Nightmare Before Chr...
1.2M 58.3K 83
"The only person that can change Mr. Oberois is their wives Mrs. Oberois". Oberois are very rich and famous, their business is well known, The Oberoi...
2K 61 7
A new case lies in Central City for the Winchester boys. Someone, or something, was skinning innocent people alive and leaving the bodies out in the...
31.9K 945 72
COMPLETED AT THE MOMENT! Just a bunch of scenarios, maybe a oneshot here and there. But there will be no Austin. Sorry! Just Zach, Dan, Maxx, and Cod...