Stumbling Through

By LikkleBagel

"Being a teenager sucks, all you can really do is stumble through the years." School. Grades. Judgements. Bul... More

Day to Day
The Moment of Change
Nosy Friends
Challenge Accepted
Annoying Texts
The Reed Family
Scary Films
Meet The Mum
Strange Moods
Invites
Party (Like It's 2012)
Being Juvenile
When I Wake Up
Dancing Heart
Mission Derek
Family Dinner
'I Like You'
Horrible Food
Things in Common
The Mother
Intimidating Moments
The Worst Day (Part One)
The Worst Day (Part Two)
A Shared Warmth
Once Gone
Fixing Bridges
The Best of Friends
Tongue Tied
Epilogue

Just A Few Minutes

16.4K 696 40
By LikkleBagel

Chapter Thirteen

“What are you doing?” I asked Derek, clueless as to what was going on right now. My brain was refusing to function properly. Some things just weren’t comprehending fully in my mind. Like what was happening right now.

Derek was gently guiding me towards the Wayford’s driveway, holding me steady as he helped me walk. I wasn’t even sure why this was happening. One moment I had been dancing, and in the next Chrissie was pulling me from the guy I was dancing with and handing me off to Derek like she had just sold me, or something.

Derek gave me a quick sideways glance, and I could see him debating over what kind of answer to give me. “I’m taking you home.” He said softly, holding up a set of keys that I recognised as my own from the heart shaped key ring attached.

I stared at him in surprise before reaching to pat down the pocket I had remembered them being in, only to find it empty. My eyes widened as I looked back at him. Had he taken them from me?

My mind raced for when he would have had the opportunity to do that. The only memory that came to mind was when we had kissed. Or more like when I had kissed him.

I wonder if he felt awkward about that…

“Chrissie gave me your car keys and asked me to drive you home.” He explained, gripping the keys tighter as he gently guided me towards where my car was sitting, standing out from the rest because of its teal colour.

That made sense, I realised as the memory of me handing my best friend the keys to my car when she demanded them claiming I was too wasted to be trusted with them came back to me.

I relaxed giving Derek a lopsided grin. “That makes sense.” I nodded my head, earning myself a dizzy spell. I stumbled over my high-heeled shoes. My arm instinctively stretched out to hold onto Derek to steady myself.

His arms slid around my waist as he struggled to hold me upright as I clung to him. We narrowly avoided both toppling down, as he held me to him.

I let out a relieved chuckle, which he copied before pulling away. It was probably a good thing that he did. Being so close to him was doing funny things to me, and I couldn’t help the fact that a part of me wanted to pull him in for another kiss.

I quickly shook my head, trying to banish the thought from my mind.

God I must be completely shitfaced.

I barely registered the fact that he had now unlocked the car and was now helping me into it. All the while my mind was playing out what reaction he might have if I kissed him again.

Maybe he’d push me away. Maybe he’d freak out. Or maybe he’d kiss me back…

I let out a frustrated sigh. Why was I even thinking about it?

I let out a shaky laugh to myself, trying to calm my nerves but only gaining in earning a weird look from Derek who was between keeping a safe eye on the road before him and shooting me brief concerned glances from the corner of his eyes.

I sighed loudly banging my head back on the headrest. “So…” I opened for conversation. “Was your argument with Makayla that bad?” I asked, brining up my hands to rub at my temples.

Surprise flitted across his expression as he shot me another look, before his cheeks flushed a subtle tint of red. “You saw that huh?” He asked his fingers tightening on the steering wheel, making me feel guilty for even bringing it up.

“Yeah.” I admitted quietly. “She looked pretty pissed, but you don’t have to talk about it to me if you don’t want to. I was prying.” I grimaced, hating that I had done it in the first place.

He stared straight ahead at the roads, breaking for the red light. “She won’t stay mad for too long I don’t think.” He said eventually, sounding unsure. “I don’t know. I was pretty mean to her.”

I smiled to myself, because it was hard to imagine anyone would ever be able to stay mad at someone like Derek for too long, if at all. I couldn’t even imagine him being mean.

I reached over and patted his arm gently. “I’m sure whatever you did wasn’t unforgivable.” I told him in the best assuring tone I could muster up. I shot me a grateful smile. “You’re too awesome not to forgive.”

“Thanks.” He muttered smiling a little, as he shook his head. “So you’re really drunk huh?” He asked changing the subject.

I hummed in agreement. “Absolutely hammered.” I confessed, as he turned the car onto my street. My eyes instantly sought out the window of my apartment, to see all the curtains drawn and the lights out.

I felt a stab of loneliness hit my chest.

If my Uncle was in the house he would probably be up right now, sitting right next to the window awaiting my arrival, forcing himself to stay awake to make sure I was safe before heading off to bed.

I hated the thought of going back into an empty apartment.

“Willow.” Derek’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts. My eyes snapped away from the window to him. “Are you alright?” He asked, his expression clearly displaying his concern.

I felt my heart melt a little bit, and the urge to kiss him came back full force. I shook my head to push the thought away.

I needed to stop thinking about doing that. I was really really drunk.

But Derek misconstrued my actions as a negative answer to his question.

His eyes lit up with worry, as he frantically started hammering questions in my direction. “What’s wrong? Did you drink too much? Do you think you’re going to be sick?”

I felt my lips tug into a smile as I shook my head carefully, holding back the urge to laugh. “I’m fine.” I said softly.

He let a deep sigh before cocking his head to the side, his eyes scanning for a lie. “Are you sure?” He asked, obviously noticing something off. He reached up gripping onto my chin so that I was looking directly at him as he searched for an answer in my eyes.

I licked my lips, before my eyes flickered once more back to the lifeless windows of my apartment. “I-I just don’t really want to go home.” I said with a small shrug. “Nothing to worry about really.” I winced.

“Why not?” He asked a little concerned, not at all dismissing my fears.

I sighed. “My Uncle isn’t home.” I said not meeting his eyes. “So I have the apartment to myself. It freaks me out a little.” I shrugged my shoulders again, trying to play off the hollow feeling in my chest as I started thinking about it.

Derek kept looking at me, before nodding his head, and swinging himself around so he could climb out of the car. “Come on. I’ll walk you up.” He said as he opened his door.

I shook my head before following his actions, stumbling a little on my feet as I stepped out. Derek was quickly by my side, steadying me gently.

I thanked him gripping onto the sleeve of his jacket.

“Jesus, how much did you have exactly?” He asked, looking worried. I laughed a little.

“Too much.” I admitted. “I’m really going to regret it in the morning.” Actually I was starting to regret it already, I realised having to use Derek as support as he dragged me to my apartment.

I relied on his help to escort me up the stairs because the elevator was out of order.

By the time we reached my door he let out a huge huff, and held out my keys, examining for the one that opened my front door.

“The silver one.” I supplied. He nodded his head picking out the correct one before inserting it into the slot. I thanked him, reaching past his tall frame to open the door.

I fumbled for the light switch, wincing a little at the sudden brightness it let off when I turned the lights on. “You can come in, if you want.” I offered, stumbling towards the living room, my eyes automatically going to my Uncle’s favourite waiting spot to find it completely empty.

I don’t know what I was expecting to see, seeming, as I was perfectly aware that he wasn’t going to be there, but I still felt my stomach churn a little. I wanted to see him there, like he always was when I needed him to be.

“Umm, do you need me to get you anything?” Derek asked kindly, his arm slipping around my waist once more as he helped me to sit down on my sofa.

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” I asked. “You’re the guest.”

He laughed. “Yeah but you’re the one who’s drunk, and needs looking after.” He teased.

I snorted rolling my head to the side to see him properly. He was looking at me with a tender smile that had my heart constricting a little in my chest. He was too kind for his own good.

I tilted my head to the side, reaching out my hand. “In that case…do you mind helping me to my room?” I asked looking towards my bedroom door. I knew that if I really wanted to I would be able to make my own way over there, but a small desperate part of me wanted to make him stay as long as possible to fill up the empty space that felt so wrong being here.

“Sure.” He said kindly, reaching out to help me up again.

I clung on to him tightly; half scared to let go in case he vanished. He didn’t complain though as he directed me to my room. The door swung open and the small sensible part of me was grateful for the fact that I had cleaned up earlier, more to do with the fact I was bored mindless rather than I had been expecting to have someone in my room tonight. Because I hadn’t intended on that happening at all.

Still my eyes scanned for anything that could potentially ruin me socially.

“Nice room.” Derek muttered filling the silence that hung around us. I raised an eyebrow at him. There wasn’t anything special about it. I had a few photos pinned up to my wall (mostly of me, Jenny, and Chrissie), and a few splashes of colours amongst the sea of pink and purple. To me it looked like any other teenage girl room I had ever seen.

“Not as cool as yours.” I said remembering the liveliness of his own room.

I saw the tips of his ears turn pink as he shook his head. “Please don’t mention that.” He groaned. “I always kept intending to change it but I never got around to it.” He confessed.

I gasped and shook my head. “No way.” I protested. “That room is awesome. It totally suits you.”

He cringed, scratching the back of his neck. “Right.” He muttered, awkwardly helping me into the room.

Suddenly a thought occurred to me that had a giggle bursting through my lips. He gave me a questioning look, raising an eyebrow in my direction. “You’re not trying to take advantage of me are you?” I asked jokingly, the warnings of my Uncle’s on being drunk around teenaged boys came back to me.

Derek’s smile dropped and he instantly let go of me causing me to fall face first onto my bed. “Wh-what? No! Of course I’m not!” He shouted, desperately trying to get his point across.

Then he seemed to realise that he had dropped me and started apologising, before reaching over to me, only to hesitate in what I was sure was his mind trying to find the appropriate way to help without seeming like he was trying it on.

I laughed loudly, clutching on to my stomach as I shook my head.

Derek:

Helplessly I watched as Willow laughed at my expense, finding something truly funny. “I-I’m really not trying anything.” I tried to assure her, not wanting her to think I was some kind of pervert.

That only seemed to make her laugh harder as she doubled over. “I-I know.” She said when she started to regain her composure.

“I’m serious.” I said taking a step back, not knowing anymore if I was standing too close. Seeing my indecision she brought up a hand to hold me where I was.

“I know.” She repeated more seriously. “I was just joking around.”  She told me gently, holding onto my arm. “If anything, you should be worried of me trying to take advantage of you.” She joked looking up at me through her eyelashes as she gave me a devilish grin that had my heart pounding.

No taking advantage needed. I quickly pushed the thought away and shook my head. She’s only joking around. Joking.

That didn’t stop her from looking jaw-droppingly seductive as she stared up at me with that impish smirk on her face. It didn’t help that she her hand hadn’t let go of its grip on my arm. If anything the skin contact was making it so much worse. That and the fact I now knew just how amazing it was to receive a kiss from Willow.

Realising that my thoughts were heading down a dangerous path – I couldn’t let myself think about Willow like that – I pulled my arm from her and tried to control my heartbeat.

But any progress I made was lost when she let out a gleeful laugh, making my heart stop altogether for a second. “Don’t do this.” I muttered under my breath in a plea. How embarrassing would it be for the school’s nerd to be found out to be crushing on the head cheerleader? I’m sure I would never be able to live it down.

“Don’t worry Derek.” She said rolling over so she was lay down on her bed, propped up by her elbows. “You use my baseball bat on me if you need to protect yourself.” She giggled.

I raised my eyebrows, grasping for a change of subject. “You play baseball?” I asked, despite it being primarily a distraction for me I realised I was interested in hearing her answer.

To my surprise a blush covered her cheeks. “No.” She muttered not meeting my eyes.

Confused my eyebrows scrunched together, but I didn’t need to ask because she answered the question on my mind.

“I brought it after we all watched that stupid scary movie.” She grumbled with a glare on her face, before shrugging her shoulders.

I carefully tried to school the amusement off of my face when she looked up at me, but I assumed it didn’t work because she picked up a pillow and threw it at me.

“Laugh now, but it saved that girls life.” She pouted, clutching a different pillow to her chest that she picked up straight after she had lobbed the first one. “Anyway it’s not like I’ll ever use it. It just makes me feel better to know it’s there.”

I swooped to pick up the cushion she had attempted to assassinate me with and sat myself be her side. “You’re right.” I said with a comforting smile. “I feel better knowing you have it.” I said honestly, remembering that she was a teenaged girl who for the time being was sleeping alone in an apartment.

She gave me a soft smile. “It helps me feel better, especially seeming as Uncle Charles isn’t here.” She confessed.

“You and your uncle are really close huh?” I asked, spontaneously, because her love for him was written clearly across her face, and I couldn’t help but be intrigued by it. I wanted to know everything that made her smile like that.

“Oh yeah. He raised me since I was first born.” She muttered with a lazy smile as she lay back on her bed staring at the ceiling.

“So it was you your bother and your uncle?” I asked, nosing in where it probably wasn’t appreciated, but the words had just slipped out of my mouth. I winced as I waited in an uncomfortable silence for her reply, remembering her face when she had first talked about her brother.

Just as I was about to apologise for poking my nose into what clearly wasn’t my business, she answered. “No. My brother grew up with my parents.” She muttered rubbing her eyes as she let out another yawn.

“Parents?” I don’t know what I had expected her answer to be but it wasn’t that. For some reason I had expected her parents to be out of the picture.

She chuckled. “Yeah Susan and Rob Jamison.” She let out another yawn. “They’re good people.”

I smiled a little at her. She looked beautiful splayed across her bed, with her hair fanned out like a halo around her.

 “So why did your uncle raise you?” I asked, but I knew when I saw her tense that I had overstepped a mark.

“Sorry I shouldn’t have asked.” I said pushing aside the part of me that was begging to know the answer. It didn’t have anything to do with me.

“It’s okay.” She said after a while, as she let out a deep breath. “My family is kind of a touchy subject for me.” She rolled her head in my direction, and I could physically see the pain in her eyes.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled again, running a hand through my hair. I could feel her eyes on me as I did it. I didn’t say anything though, scared that the next thing out of mouth would somehow broach onto another unwanted subject.

“Derek.” Willow called gaining my attention, I glanced back at her, her eyes catching onto mine.

“Hmm?” I asked, wondering if she wanted me to fetch her something, like a glass of water.

What she said next though caught me completely off guard. “Why don’t you have a girlfriend?” She asked, her eyes searching me for an answer.

I stared at her for a while, my cheeks heating up. “Uh-U-” I wasn’t sure how I was meant to answer the question, especially with her staring at me with her wide blue eyes.

I ended up shrugging my shoulders. “I don’t know.” I muttered.

She smiled shaking her head. “Sorry.” She giggled. “I thought it might even out the playing field if I asked an awkward question too.”

I raised my eyebrows at her logic, but found myself relaxing. It did feel less awkward now. It was just so simple.

“Right well I should probably leave you so you can get some sleep.” I said, in a soft voice when she let out another long yawn that looked almost painful.

Her eyes widened a little and her posture stiffened, as one of her hands shot out to catch mine. “Wait.” I paused mid way to my feet, taking a backwards glance at her as she chewed nervously on her bottom lip.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, not even attempting to pull away from her grasp.

She didn’t answer; instead she stared at her blankets, with her eyebrows furrowed.

“Willow?” I prompted, thinking that maybe her intoxicated train of thought had led her astray.

She glanced up at me, licking her lips. “Can I ask you another awkward question?” She asked, apprehensively.

“Sure.” I said, curious.

Her grip tightened slightly on my arm, as she let out a deep breath and mumbled out a question I couldn’t quite hear under her breath.

“You’re going to have to repeat that.” I winced apologetically, leaning closer in case she spoke as quietly as she did last time.

She looked uncomfortable as she shifted her position, before meeting my eyes with hers. “Would you mind staying here until I fall asleep?” She asked, a vulnerable look in her eyes, she looked on the verge of tears.

That look struck at my heart.

“You don’t have to. It was weird of me to ask.” She winced. “I just have real trouble sleeping when my Uncle isn’t here, and I know nothing bad is going to happen but I watch so many horror movies and-”

I cut her rambling with a gentle shake of my head. “It’s okay.” I assured her. “I’ll stay if you want me to.”

Her eyes widened. “Seriously?” She asked doing a double take.

“Yeah.” I said straightening myself. “Let me just go fetch a cushion to sit on or something.”

“No need. You can sit on the bed.” She said shuffling over to make room for me. “It’s the least I can do.” She told me. I raised an eyebrow, but didn’t argue with it. Her bed was comfortable.

I kicked off my shoes, not wanting to ruin her bed sheets, then my eyes flicked down to hers to notice that a strappy pair of red heels were still attached to her.

I bent over to help her with them, because with how drunk she was I was expecting her to have a considerable amount of difficulty getting them off.

“Thanks.” She said when she saw what I was doing. I shrugged my shoulders and put them on the floor next to mine before I cautiously moved onto the bed, half expecting her to feel awkward and tell me she changed her mind and wanted me to fetch a cushion after all.

However she didn’t stop me as I climbed in. Instead she lay there watching me with a soft smile.

“Told you it was me you had to be scared of.” She giggled. “I already seduced you into my bed.” She joked.

“I feel so used.” I murmured. She chuckled and curled herself into my side, before letting out a deep breath.

“Shhh…” She mumbled jokingly. “You talk too much.” I laughed to, careful not to move too much, because her eyes were already closing.

It didn’t take too long for her breathing to even out, letting me know she had fallen asleep.

I should go, I realised. But it had been a long night, and I was really comfortable. I looked down to where Willow lay next to me, her hair fanned out over my chest and her head buried into my shoulder.

If I moved then, it might have woken her up. It was logical to stay still for a few more minutes, to let her fall properly asleep.

Just a few more minutes. What harm could it do?

I was really, really, comfortable.

It didn’t take long for my eyes to fall shut, or for me to be sucked into sleep.

And I didn't wake up until the next morning.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

230K 10.5K 33
Fame launched them to the top of the Hollywood hierarchy, but life in the fast lane may come with deadly consequences. ...
95.4K 5.9K 64
"Oh my god, this Corvette is so fucking sexy." I ran my hand along the peeling red paint. It wasn't in the best condition, but a Corvette was a Corve...
116K 9.1K 11
Her şey bana gelen mektupla başlamıştı. Ufacık bir not kağıdında yazan şeyler büyük olaylara ve hayatımın değişmesine yol açmıştı. Ben kendimden emin...
2.1M 83K 44
"They were elements that were not supposed to mix,but they were. And just like mixing hydrogen peroxide with Sulfuric Acid; Inevitable explosion." *...