Rough Heart | ethan dolan

By bymarsammie

some people say that the most important things in life cannot be seen or even touched; they are felt with the... More

before reading
[one - eric & gregory?]
[two - secrets & fights]
[three - making a deal]
[four - another fight?]
[five - defending ethan & charlie's downfall]
[six - cleaning the mess]
[seven - helping ethan & finding a note]
[eight - can't take it anymore]
[nine - samantha hughes?]
[ten - jealousy, kayaking, & changing ethan]
[twelve - coming up for fresh air]
[thirteen - where's ethan?]
[fourteen - skipping class]
[fifteen - confessions & finding ethan]
[sixteen - love?]
[seventeen - revealing & talking]
[eighteen - shhh, i'm sleeping]
[nineteen - football team & locke howard]
[twenty - birthday party plans & a heartbeat]
[twenty one - football tryouts & finding another note]
[twenty two - anne's painting & homecoming plans]
[twenty three - mother's know everything & ethan breaking the rules]
[twenty four - the damn car horn]
[twenty five - "hell"coming pt.1]
[twenty six - "hell"coming pt.2]
[twenty seven - "hell"coming pt.3]
[twenty eight - talking it out & making a promise]
[twenty nine - another note & disappointing anne]
[thirty - convincing the principal]
[thirty one - a present for ethan & an unexpected call]
[thirty two - helping anne & ethan's birthday gift]
[thirty three - E&G's birthday party pt.1]
[thirty four - E&G's birthday party pt.2]
[thirty five - E&G's birthday party pt.3]
[thirty six - the aftermath of disaster]
[thirty seven - time to explain]
[thirty eight - the story of ethan's past]
[thirty nine - "for you, jess"]
[forty - have you ever?]
[forty one - first time in a long time]
[forty two - charlie's return & anne's news]
[forty three - understanding, a bucket list, & a sleepover]
[forty four - a night spent with ethan]
[forty five - ethan vs. charlie... pt.2?]
[forty six - "he needs me."]
[forty seven - we can never go back]
[forty eight - samantha spills]
[forty nine - emotional anne & finding a final note]
🔴[news - NOT A CHAPTER (please read!)]
[fifty - leaving for new jersey]
[fifty one - new jersey wedding weekend pt.1]
[fifty two - new jersey wedding weekend pt.2]
[fifty three - new jersey wedding weekend pt.3]
[fifty four - new jersey wedding weekend pt.4]
[fifty five - graduation gowns & dreaded words]
[fifty six - the days after anne]
[epilogue]
artwork and news

[eleven - introducing robert]

59.4K 1.7K 3.5K
By bymarsammie

Grayson's POV.

"Hey, mom." I enter the kitchen after returning from the grocery and Jessica's house.

I walk over and give her a brief hug after placing a few plastic bags with various foods in them onto the counter.

"Hey, Gray. Thank you so much for running to the store for me, I was feeling awful worn out today for some reason."

Her statement worries me, but I have learned to remain calm and brush it off.

"Do you think it had to do with some of your medicine?" I ask her.

"Maybe."

Her and I start putting the groceries away in cabinets around the kitchen. I notice that she stays rather quiet, which is unusual. I glance over to the sink to see the dishes from dinner still in it, which is also odd. Mom usually cleans our plates immediately after dinner.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, scared for her response.

She sighs.

"There actually is something I want to tell you."

My heart stops, and I close my eyes for a moment in an attempt to prepare myself for what it might be.

"It has nothing to do with my health, so don't worry about that."

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. It feels as if a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

"What is it, then?"

I take a break from putting the groceries away and walk over to take a seat on one of the many bar stools next to the counter. My mom smiles slightly before walking over to where she is directly across from me.

"I really don't know how you're going to react, but I know I need to tell you."

I nod, furrowing my eyebrows. My mom takes a deep breath and bites the inside of her cheek. I shoot her a look, urging her to continue.

"We moved here because I really like it here, and my best friend is here, and you know I wanted to be at my happiest in my last days,"

Her voice is quiet when she says the last words, and although they hurt me to hear, I have to come to terms with reality and realize that this is how it is.

"Yeah," I say.

"Well, we also moved here for another reason." She nervously picks at the end of her fingernails.

I raise an eyebrow at her.

"I have been seeing someone, and he lives here, too."

Out of all the things I thought she would say, that is definitely not one of them. I widen my eyes and almost gasp, but stop myself.

"Really?"

"Yes. I'm so sorry to keep it from you, but I had no idea how you were going to react, and I just don't want to disappoint you or Ethan, especially now. I've already made you and him leave New Jersey for me, and you both have done so much for me and I just didn't want this to ruin anything."

The last thing I am is mad and all I want is for my mom to be happy, but I am left incredibly confused. Why is she dating someone when she's not going to be around for much longer?

"Mom, all I want is for you to be happy. If this is what you want, than I am perfectly fine, but," I try to find the right words, "why are you with him when, you know..." I scratch the back of my neck.

"I can only imagine how this looks from your point of view, and I know you might not understand, but that's okay. Grayson, he makes me incredibly happy, and really, that's all I want to be in however long I have left. We have fun together and he has come to terms with my sickness and everything. He is an amazing guy."

This will take time to get used to, but mom doesn't have much time left.

"As long as you're happy." I assure her.

Her eyes become glossy and a single tear escapes from her right eye, sliding down her cheek. I smile at her, knowing that this means a lot.

"Have you told Ethan yet?"

"No, and my biggest fear is how he will react." she sighs.

I'm not even going to lie, I would be scared, too. There's no way Ethan's going to like this.

I think for a moment and realize that my mom has not been with anyone since Ethan and I's dad. It'll be weird to see her with someone else. If I think it'll be weird, there's no telling what Ethan will think about all of it. I'll have to talk to him about it.

"I'll make sure to talk to him, don't worry. When are you going to tell him?" I ask her.

"I have no idea. I want to find the right time, I know he won't take it well-"

"You have got to be kidding me," Ethan appears in the doorway to the kitchen, startling mom and I both.

I shoot Ethan a look, silently begging him to not say anything he'll regret.

"You can't be serious, mom. Right? This has to be some type of joke," Ethan obnoxiously laughs, almost as if he's mocking someone.

I ball my fists at my side and stand up from the bar stool.

"She's obviously not kidding, Ethan, now calm down-"

"I wasn't talking to you, Grayson! Shut the hell up!" Ethan's fist collides with the kitchen counter in front of him.

I take a step back.

Please don't do this, Ethan.

"Ethan, don't talk to your brother that way, please." My mom's soft voice fills the room.

"Why? Why does it matter? It's pointless, all of this is. You can't seriously be dating someone, mom! You're about to die!"

"Ethan, that's enough!" I shout at him, now banging my fists on the counter.

I am tired of his selfish behavior and attitude always bringing mom's spirits down. It's not fair, he just doesn't get it.

"I know you don't understand it all, Ethan. Not just this, but all of it. I know you think it's not fair, but these are the cards we've been dealt with. You're the only one who can't move on from it. We need to be happy as a family in these last few times we have together."

Ethan shakes his head and steps away from the counter. His arms fly up into the air and he runs his hands run through his hair. I can feel his anger from the other side of the kitchen.

"I just want to be happy, Ethan. I know that it's weird, I know that I won't get to grow old with him, or experience much life with him at all, but he means a lot to me. He helps me forget about my health, which is important. I hope you can come to terms with it at one point."

My mom forces a smile at Ethan, but Ethan's glare remains frozen to the ground. He laughs again, this time not as loud.

Then, he darts out of the room, leaving both mom and I speechless.

-

Ethan's POV.

I can't think straight. No thought in my mind makes sense at all.

Why is my mom with someone if she is going to die soon? Why would she want to put another person through that?

None of it makes sense.

I punch the first thing in my sight, which is the refrigerator in the garage. It hurts slightly, but I've felt much more pain before without even having to punch something. I can't seem to concentrate on anything, and everything around me seems to become blurry.

My fist begins to collide with everything around me, soon leaving a huge mess all around the garage. This is the only thing that seems to ease my anger in the least bit.

I need to leave before I break everything.

I storm out of the garage and hop into my car. I close my eyes for a moment, trying to calm down, but nothing seems to work. I should have never agreed to move out here with Grayson and my mom. I should have stayed the fuck in New Jersey, where I belong. I need to clear my mind.

My eyes capture the alcohol cabinet through the window of the garage, and I know it's what I need.

But I can't. I promised myself to never drink again, after everything my fuck-up of a dad went through.

Fuck this.

I need an escape, I need to calm down and get my mind off of everything in this damned place.

I need Jess.

___

this chapter is a bit shorter b/c the next one is going to be long ;)

plz vote and comment what you think, thxxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 286 23
some may think that once a heart is broken, it can never be restored. this was the case for Ethan Dolan. the once upbeat guy everyone used to know a...
108K 1.6K 22
"I can't stop thinking about her." "Who?" "I don't even know her name." "The struggle is real bro." "Shut up." "Ha!" "I'm not kidding, shut the hell...
20.5K 683 68
COMPLETED!!:) Bailey is a girl who loves the Dolan Twins. When she finds out they are going on tour and coming to where she lives, she has to go. So...
17.8K 324 42
Jenni, caring person, beautiful inside and out, and has been best friends with Cameron for as long as she could remember. She had loved her life for...