iAmTalon (On Hold)

By DoNotMicrowave

Who is James Talon Harrington the Fourth? His friends would say he's the pretty boy of the group. His coach w... More

iAmTalon (On Hold)
Chapter 2 The Fumble
Chapter 3 First Down
Chapter 4 Forward Pass

Chapter 1 The Kickoff

419K 19.3K 8.6K
By DoNotMicrowave

"Yo! Harrington!" a voice shouted loudly. "Get your ass over here!"

Talon saw his buddy, Finn, waving him over to a table by the eating area. He nodded his head in acknowledgment, and turned his attention back to the leggy brunette that was currently hanging on his arm. They met last weekend at a party and had exchanged phone numbers. She had been texting him continually since then, wanting to hang out. When he had mentioned that he would be at the fair tonight, she had jumped at the chance to meet with him.

"That's so awful about your dad," the brunette continued to say, completely unaware of what just happened. "I can't imagine only getting to play one game before getting injured. How tragic."

Talon's pulse spiked with annoyance at the mention of his father.

"It would be cool if you went pro like him though," she added, twirling the ends of her hair with her finger. "You'd get to hang out with movie stars and celebrities. It'd be like one big party. I'm so jealous."

Was this girl serious? "Yeah I'll just grab a quick bite to eat with Brad Pitt and Angelina after a grueling day of strength training, football practice and watching game footage," he responded wryly.

She blinked. "You know Brad Pitt?"

Talon bit back a sigh. This chick was not quick on the uptake. She couldn't even comprehend a simple thing like sarcasm. What the hell had he been thinking at that party? He knew he wasn't the most discerning person when it came to girls, but he usually liked them smarter than his five-year-old cousin.

"You were joking!" she suddenly shouted, giggling at her error. "I feel so dumb."

 "I know the feeling," he muttered out loud. Privately, he wondered if a village was missing its town idiot.

She flicked a stray strand of hair over her shoulder. "What was that?"

He forced a pleasant smile on his face as he started to detach himself from her. He needed to escape before she infected him with her idiocy. "It was nice seeing you again, but I have to go."

"JT," she cajoled and leaned into him, "I thought we could spend some more time together." 

His decision to leave wavered as he looked down and saw her impressive rack pressed against him. The reason why he had gotten her number in the first place came rushing back.

Damn.

Maybe he shouldn't be so hasty. So what if she wasn't exactly valedictorian material? It wasn't like he was planning on marrying the girl. He could deal with her incessant chatter and inane remarks for a couple hours before taking her to Make-out Point. He glanced down again. On second thought, why even wait?

He was just about to suggest they go when a sharp whistle caught his attention. Finn was sitting at the table, impatiently pointing to the milkshake he had gotten for him.

"Are those the other players from your team?" She leaned around him, straining her neck to see his friends. "I don't mind hanging out with them. Are any of the college scouts checking them out too?"

Talon watched as she licked her lips and nearly panted with anticipation of hanging out with him and his friends. His lust died a quick death as repugnance took over. There was no way he was taking this girl anywhere. All she cared about was being seen on the arm of someone popular. She didn't care whom it was, as long as it boosted her status.

Talon mentally thanked Finn for saving him from a potential disaster as he started to back away. "Sorry, doll, it's a guys night out. I really have to go."

Temper flared in her eyes before she quickly masked it. "I'm having a party next week JT," she said sweetly with a hint of tartness. "You should come."

Talon was no fool. He saw the calculation in her eyes. This girl was more cunning than he originally thought. Oh sure, she had fooled him at first with that bimbo routine, but her true colors were coming out now. Talon knew he had to be careful when he responded to her invitation. Girls like her were easily offended and had a mean streak a mile wide. "Text me the details and I'll see if I can go."

Her lips curled in satisfaction. "How about a goodbye kiss before you leave?" she purred and lifted her head.

Talon looked down at her heavily made-up face and cringed. Her lips were red and shiny from a heavy application of lipstick and lip gloss. Why the hell did girls wear that crap? It was sticky and it stained. No guy wanted to lock lips with that. "Honey, if I kiss you right now, I won't be able to control myself," he smoothly lied.

"Okay," she pouted, "but here's something to remember me by." Before he could pull away, she planted a big, fat kiss on his cheek. "I'll be in touch," she promised with a wink and then sauntered away.

'So much for dodging that bullet,' he noted sarcastically. With the back of his hand, he vigorously rubbed the spot, praying it wasn't too noticeable. The guys would give him crap if they saw.

Apparently his prayers weren't answered as Finn let out a long whistle when he approached the table. "Red sure looks good on you, pretty boy. I think it's your color," he joked.

"You're just jealous," Talon retorted as he grabbed a seat across from him and their other friend, Mitch.  

"At least I could have sealed the deal," Finn bragged as he adjusted the navy blue baseball cap he always wore.  

Talon scoffed at Finn's assumption. "I could have had her in the backseat of my truck in ten seconds flat if I had wanted."

Finn's eyebrow rose. "And you didn't? What was wrong with her?"

"She's a barracuda," he explained, using the nickname they assigned for social climbers.

"Dude, those are the best types." Finn wiggled his eyebrows. "Eager to please."   

He was right. They were eager to please, but lately he had been getting bored of them. It was the same routine every time. Meet a girl, hang out and try to hit a home run. There was no excitement, no chase anymore. Girls just lined up for him, wanting a chance to be with JT Harrington, quarterback extraordinaire. They didn't care about him. They cared about his name. The thought galled him more than he would have liked to admit.

He wondered what would happen if there were no football, no JT. What if he was just Talon Harrington, connoisseur of World War II and lover of peeps? Would they still be as eager to give him their phone number?

Immediately, he dismissed the notion. He was thinking crazy. Girls loved him. Besides, what did it matter? He couldn't change who he was. For better or worse, he was JT Harrington. With that thought, he winked at the cute girl passing by and swiped a couple fries from Finn.

"Get your own food, asshole," Finn complained, moving his plate out of reach.

"Just making sure you don't gain any weight." Talon eyed his best friend's wiry frame. Even though Finn was a couple inches taller than him, Talon outweighed him by ten pounds. As a wide receiver, Finn had to be quick on his feet and lightning fast. His job was to run past the defense and be open for a pass from the quarterback.

Finn flipped him off before stuffing a handful of fries in his mouth. "I'm in peak physical condition," he proclaimed after swallowing.

Mitch snorted. "You're going to get your ass kicked at training camp tomorrow."   

"Sorry if some us have a life. Unlike you guys, I don't live and breathe football twenty-four seven," Finn replied and shook his head in disbelief. "I can't believe you would rather workout and run plays than hang out at the beach and surf."

"It's not like I had a choice," Talon grumbled. Ever since the beginning of summer, his father had become more stringent in his training. He wanted Talon to be at the top of his game when the college scouts came calling.

Finn looked at their other friend. "What's your excuse?"

Mitch just shrugged his shoulders and took a bite out of his burrito. Finn and Talon weren't offended by his silence. Mitch had always been the quiet one of the group. He rarely initiated conversation, but girls seemed to love it. They had deemed him a brooding, tortured soul and were intent on "saving" him. He even looked the part with his jet-black hair and deep-set eyes.

The sound of his phone ringing made Talon reach into his jeans pocket. He groaned when he saw who was calling.

"MILF alert," Finn announced as he traded a knowing smirk with Mitch. Both of them loved to tease Talon about how hot his mother was.

He sent them a nasty glare before answering his phone. "Hey Ma," he greeted, angling his body away from his friends' prying eyes.  

"Hi pumpkin. How's the fair? Are you having fun?"

He rolled his eyes at her nickname for him. It had been fine when she called him that as a baby, but he was almost eighteen. "Yeah Ma, I'm having fun."

"That's great," she exclaimed. She paused a beat and then said, "Your father wants to know when you are coming home."

Talon's jaw clenched. He should have known that was the reason behind the call. "I'll be home when I'm done," he replied tersely.

"Well, your father wants to remind you that you have football camp tomorrow. You can't afford to stay out late."

A familiar voice in the background gruffly said, "He shouldn't have gone out at all. Tell him he if he wants to be number one he needs to start acting more responsible."  

"Your father says—"

"I heard," Talon clipped.

"You know he only wants what's best for you pumpkin," she placated in a soothing tone. Lately, it seemed like his mother was always trying to keep the peace between his father and him.

"I know Ma," he relented, softening his voice. She didn't deserve to feel the brunt of his frustration. That right went solely to his father. "I'll be home soon."

"Drive safely. I love you, darlin'."  

Talon sent a sideways glance at the guys to see if they were listening. Sure enough, they were looking at him with open curiosity. He leaned away from them and quickly mumbled, "Love you too." The boys hooted with laughter as he hung up and set the phone on the table.

"Love you too," Finn mimicked. "Does she also tuck you in bed and tell you a bedtime story, pretty boy?"

With quick reflexes, Talon reached across the table to put him in a headlock. Finn struggled against him, jarring the table, but Talon managed to keep his hold. "Who's a pretty boy now?" he taunted in a playful show of dominance.

They wrestled for a while till Finn grunted, "Get off," and blindly swung his fist. Talon took a step back and artfully dodged the punch. That's when he noticed the mess they were making. Several bottles on the table had fallen over and both of their chairs were overturned. He released Finn, aware that things were starting to get out of hand, but not before stealing his beloved baseball hat.

As soon as the cap was off, copper strands sprung out in all directions. It looked as if Finn had stuck his finger in an electrical outlet. He quickly tried to tame it, but his fingers got tangled in the curls. With a snarl he ripped the hat out of Talon's hands and jammed it on his head. "You win this round but watch your back Harrington," he warned.

Talon sent him a smug smile. "Let's go before they call security," he suggested, noticing that they had gained a small audience of onlookers.

"Yes, Captain!" Finn said in mock salute, referring to Talon's new status as captain of the football team. A few weeks ago, the team had voted on who would lead them and Talon had tied with Mitch.

"Co-captain," Mitch corrected as he righted the chairs.

Finn rolled his eyes. "Co-captain."    

The sharpness in his tone made Talon wonder if Finn wasn't feeling a bit hostile about the outcome of the vote. He had never said anything directly, but there were hints of animosity here and there. It reminded him of when he had joined the Crosswell football team three years ago.

At first, Finn and Mitch had given him a hard time, not happy at the prospect of a new star player. Since little league, they had fought with Zach Brewer to be the best on the field. When they entered high school and had the chance to come out of his shadow, they were thrilled. They thought it was finally their time to shine. So when Talon joined the team and they saw how talented he was, they were angry and bitter.

It wasn't until their first game against Edgewood that they really started to bond. The first half of the game was abysmal. Their team wasn't working together cohesively and it showed. They dropped balls and couldn't complete passes. Zach and his cronies kept taunting them, flinging insult after insult. It was embarrassing.

By half time, everyone's temper was on a short leash. They knew if they didn't get their act together they would never win. Mitch had been the first to offer an olive branch. Silently, he had held out a water bottle to Talon. The locker room had grown hushed as the team waited to see what would happen. Talon glanced at Mitch and then Finn who had nodded his head in acceptance. With a wide smile, Talon took the water bottle and the atmosphere immediately changed. 

For the rest of the game, the team worked together effortlessly. They caught passes and made touchdowns and ultimately beat their opponent. That win against Edgewood had cemented their friendship and they had been close ever since.

Talon's eyes moved to Finn as they gathered their things. If he was starting to feel resentful again, it could disrupt the team's flow.

"Let's hit the games," Finn said, slapping him on the back. "I bet you ten bucks I can beat both of you at the shooting table." The tone in his voice was competitive, yet friendly. Talon shrugged off his suspicions. Maybe he was worrying over nothing. They were best friends after all.

"Here man," Mitch said, holding out his phone. "It got knocked over when you guys were wrestling."

Talon pocketed it and gave him a chin nod in gratitude. "Now let's show Finn who's boss," he told him and they trailed after him, eager to win the challenge.

 ****

 The lights were still on when Talon finally walked into his house. There was no sign of his mother, but his father was sitting behind the desk in his study. His shoulders were slightly hunched as he bent over his work, taking time to scribble notes on a pad of paper. Occasionally he would flip a page and highlight a passage, his lips moving in sync with what he read.

To many people, it would seem as if his father was completely absorbed in his work, but Talon knew better. His father was constantly aware of his surroundings. He was proved right when his father suddenly spoke.  

"It's 1:30 in the morning," he idly observed, his pen still moving over the paper.   

"I'm aware of the time," Talon replied, wondering why his father was commenting on it. He had no curfew to abide too.     

His father paused and glanced up, staring at him with piercing blue eyes that mirrored his own. "You told your mother you'd be home shortly. That was four hours ago."

Guilt crept up. He hadn't meant to worry her. After the fair closed, they had gone over to Finn's house to play a couple of rounds of pool. Time had slipped away and before he knew it, it was 1am.  

"Do you have everything packed for tomorrow?"

"No," he grudgingly admitted.

"JT," his father sighed and leaned back into his chair, "I have allowed you to have your fun in the past but it's time to start acting like an adult. This season is critical for your future. How you play directly influences which college offers you a position." His father glanced at the bookshelf that housed his NFL jersey and a shadow passed over his face. "You may think I am being hard on you, but I am just looking out for your future. Do you understand?"

"Yes sir," Talon replied, knowing no other answer would suffice.   

His father nodded in satisfaction. "Good. I expect you to work hard this year while you are at camp. No slacking off. No fooling around. If there is even a hint that you are not putting in your best effort, I will ground you for the whole season."

"Dad!" Talon exclaimed at the unfairness of his threat.

His father sent him a harsh look that instantly quelled his protest. "Pack and get some sleep son. You're going to need it." Then without further word, he picked up his pen and continued writing, effectively dismissing his son. 

Talon's teeth ground together as he marched upstairs to his room. His father's accusations grated on his nerves. He always worked hard. He always put in his best effort. Just because it wasn't up to his father's standards didn't mean it wasn't great. And so what if he occasionally goofed around? Was it a crime to have fun and enjoy himself?

Talon shut his bedroom door and threw his wallet and phone on the bed. Nothing was ever good enough for his father. Talon could run a five miles and his father would want ten. He could bench press 200 pounds and his father would want 250.

He yanked his gym bag out of the closet and started shoving clothes in haphazardly. The only time his dad seemed satisfied was when they won a football game. And even then, he forced Talon to sit down and re-watch the game. He pointed out every error, every misstep he took. God damn it. Couldn't his father get his own life and stay the hell out of his?

Talon passed by a framed picture of his grandfather and suddenly felt ashamed. If he had been here, he would have smacked Talon on the back of the head and told him to buck up. His grandfather despised whiners. He thought they were weak and pitiful. He could almost hear his grandfather say in his Southern drawl, "No one got anywhere by complaining, sonny boy. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and be done with it."

Chastised, Talon took a calming breath and finished packing. He knew his father meant well. And as much as he hated to admit it, he wouldn't be half the player he was today if it wasn't for his father. He just wished that his dad would calm down and not take football so seriously. He was taking out all the fun of it. With that thought, Talon zipped up his bag and got ready for bed.  

 After he climbed in and got under the covers, he pulled out his phone to set the alarm. "What the hell?" he asked out loud as a picture of a brown dog appeared on the screen. Had Finn and Mitch played some kind of prank on him? He went to call them but neither of their names appeared in his contact list. In fact, none of his friends were listed. He continued to scroll through various names, noting an Aunt Joanne and an Uncle Tom.

This was definitely not his phone. Mitch must have picked up the wrong one and given it to him. What a nightmare. He huffed as he looked through the apps, searching for some clue as to who the phone belonged too. He didn't glean much, but the information he did find, led him to believe the person was a complete loser. All they had was pictures of their dog and a few lame games. How utterly dull.

Talon sighed when he realized he would be going to football camp without his phone. He really needed it. He looked at the clock and noted the time. It was two in the morning. Should he be rude and call or should he wait? The rudeness won out. He dialed his number and waited as it rang. 

"The sex better have been worth waking me up," a female voice stated groggily.

Talon's eyebrows drew up in surprise. Well, hell. Maybe this wasn't such a nightmare after all. In fact, this whole thing might end up being a sweet dream. "Now that sounds like something I'd like to hear more about," he stated.

"Who is this?" the girl questioned.

"The owner of the phone you are holding," he replied. Talon closed his eyes as he listened to her talk. Her voice appealed to him. It was warm and soothing like honey. It reminded him of times when his grandfather would give him a cup of tea and honey when he was sick.

"Did you happen to be sitting at the eating area at the fair tonight?" she asked.

His eyes popped open in surprise at the revelation. Looked like his dream girl was also the owner of the lame phone. An acute sense of disappointment washed over him. He thought this girl might have been worth getting to know. Guess not. "Yeah I did. Let me guess, we somehow ended up swapping phones?"

"Yup," she grunted with irritation.

Talon glowered. She didn't have to sound so upset. He wasn't all that pleased either. "You are not on the toilet right now, are you?" he asked facetiously, wanting to needle her. Her cry of outrage soothed his ego.

As they continued trading insults, Talon started to rethink his earlier assessment. She was definitely worth getting to know. Whoever this girl was, she was no shrinking violet and Talon liked it. She was feisty and witty and a little uptight, but that's what made it so fun to rile her up.

"You go first," she said, when he asked for her name.

The thought of telling her he was JT Harrington made him ill. What if mystery girl turned out to be like all the rest? This was the first time in a while that he actually enjoyed talking to a female. He didn't want to ruin that by telling her he was JT.

A plan started to formulate in his mind. He knew nothing about her, and she knew nothing about him. He could lie about his name and take her phone with him to football camp. Hadn't he wondered earlier what it would be like to be Talon and not JT? Well, this was the perfect chance. All he had to do was seize the opportunity. Before he could rethink his decision, he blurted out, "My name's Talon." 

He held his breath as he waited for her response. Would she recognize it at all? When she didn't, he let out all the air in his lungs. Now, all he had to do was keep up the charade for a week. What could possibly go wrong?

****

Hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter of iAmTalon! I know I enjoyed getting into Talon's mind and uncovering the many layers that make him so great. Please don't forget to vote and comment. I love hearing what you have to say! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 260 9
Grace has been a babysitter for the Owen family for years. Read as they turn her from just a babysitter into their own personal Toy.
29.8K 896 17
𝐋𝐨𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠...
45.1K 229 22
Just fun little one shots I do in my spare time. No regular update schedule it's just whenever I find the motivation.
77.1K 2.6K 116
A book only providing random scenes about the Delgado family from the past, present and future <3 Almost all scenes brought to you by fellow readers...