The Wild Hunt (Downworlder Se...

By TeaHouseQueens

Book One of the Downworlder Series ~~~~~~~~~~~ Do you know what it feels like to have your current r... More

Chapter One: Safe Haven
Chapter Two: Judge and Jury
Chapter Three: Downworld
Chapter Five: Charlatans
Chapter Five: Part Two: Charlatans
Chapter Six: The Brand
Chapter Seven: Turf War
Chapter Seven: Part Two: Turf War
Chapter Eight: Wild Cravings
Chapter Nine: Hunted
Chapter Ten: Ribbons of Light
Chapter Eleven: A Beast Cornered
Chapter Twelve: The Queen's Head
Chapter Thirteen: The Wolf's Den
Chapter Fourteen: Lost & Found
Chapter Fifteen: Sweet Villainy
Chapter Sixteen: The Queen and The Empress
Chapter Sixteen: Part Two: The Queen and The Empress
Chapter Seventeen: Coming to Terms
Chapter Eighteen: Beasts of Burden
Chapter Nineteen: The Mouse Trap
Chapter Twenty: Fine Dining
Chapter Twenty: Part Two: Fine Dining
Chapter Twenty-One: The Cat and The Mouse
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Dragon's Fire
Chapter Twenty-Three: Love and War
Chapter Twenty-Four: Bubble Bath
Chapter Twenty-Five: Epilogue: At Last
Frequently Asked Questions

Chapter Four: Friends in Low Places

26.1K 1.6K 223
By TeaHouseQueens

My heart was pounding as I stared at the brick of unknown substance in my hand. It smelled like a mixture of chemicals but I had been given orders. After all it was what a slave did, followed orders.

I stared up at the sky for a moment, catching a faint glimpse of what used to be my home. I had been more than thankful when the guards had pointed me towards a stairwell I could use instead of going back into the elevator. I doubted I could have handled being shoved into the small metal box again. The beast seemed more at ease in the open and not caged.

I resented the creature that lingered under my skin. It was the reason I had been taken away from my family, thrown out of my home. I was stuck on this god forsaken planet surrounded by animals and it was all its fault. My eyes started to burn but I fought it back. I refused to cry over it. I refused to allow the beast to have that much control over my emotions.

I didn't know what to do. I hadn't be taught anything about the cities that remained on the downworld. I hadn't been taught anything about the creatures that inhabited them. I knew nothing and currently I was moving probably illegal material through a city I did not know because I had been bought and paid for by a Doyen. What a Doyen was, was something I had no clue about.

I passed by an over flowing garbage bin and tried not to breath in through my now sensitive nose. The city smelled. It was a mixture of unwashed bodies, garbage, sewage, and death. I had no clue how anyone could possibly live in the filth that coated the streets. The further away I got from the towering buildings the worse it got.

Inappropriate words and crude pictures were hastily drawn in spray paint on buildings and fences. I could hear growling and snarls in the distance and the people I passed by either ignored me or they stared at me to the point where the beast snarled in my head, filling me with a wariness that agitated me.

"Fucking mongrels." Someone spat at my feet and I skittered to the side only to be shoved from behind.

"Stay the fuck away from me. Filthy mongrel." The voice that said it was growling and the beast in my head growled in return. I fought it back as soon as I felt it rumbling my own chest. I needed to focus. If the beast was allowed I would probably end up fucking dead because I disrespected the wrong person.

I stared at the gps on the package and focused on following the path that had been set out for me. I kept my head down, only looking up to make sure I wouldn't bum into anyone. The crowds grew thicker as I passed certain buildings but I kept my head down, not wanting to see what illicit things were going on. The very thoughts of the things the buildings might hold made my skin crawl.

"Look at it, looks a right mess. Poor thing." The voice was dripping with sarcastic derision and I glanced upwards, unable to help myself as the beast mad the demand known. Several scantily clad women were staring at me with elongated teeth and dilated pupils and I clutched the package to my stomach tighter.

Don't get eaten.

I thought it had been a warning simply made to freak me out but as I stared at the women, I wasn't so sure it wasn't serious. I felt almost frozen as they looked at me. They looked predatory, hungry.

"Hey, you are a pretty little thing. Clean you up and you would fetch a couple thousand marks a night." It was a woman in thigh high fishnet stockings and heavy white make up with what looked to be a wig.

"For the first few months. Ones like that never stay fresh for long." The one speaking was picking at her skin. I watched as she pulled a scab off and put it in her mouth. My stomach rolled at the action. I watched as vibrant blood moved down her arm and dripped onto the sidewalk next to her impossibly high heels.

"Ignore her, honey, she's a tweaker." The white faced one smiled at me and I shuddered slightly at the feeling the smile gave me. The beast growled low in my head and I shook it slightly, trying to rid myself of the sound.

"We are all tweakers." The bleeding one spoke and I glanced around the group, there were about five of them and from their attire it wasn't hard to figure out they were prostitutes. I had never seen a prostitutes before, I knew there had been some in IronTown but I had never seen them. Prostitution was illegal on Haven. Now on the downworld I was seeing them on every street corner.

"Nah, I know how to ration my pay. You use it all and suffer for the next two weeks." The white faced one's gaze turned to to the bleeding one, who snarled dangerously. I shuffled away from them slightly.

"You have a problem with me, bitch?" Her face cracked and I watched as it jutted out slightly, animalistic features growing quickly as the beast pushed forward.

"Yah I do, you tweaker whore." She launched at her and I bit back a gasp as they started throwing punches at each other. The fight was violent, brutal and bloody. I couldn't look away. Faces were slashed with deadly claws and without warning all the women jumped in. I stared with wide eyes until I was shoved aside roughly. I clutched tighter to the package

"Get the fuck out of here! This ain't some fucking sideshow." It was a large burly man covered in tattoos that spat a large gob of mucus as my feet. "Fucking mongrels." I didn't need to be told twice as I bolted. My heart thudded uncomfortably in my chest as I ran away from the situation. These creatures were violent and brutal. I didn't belong with them. I didn't belong down on the surface.

My feet slapped against the pavement rhythmically as I ran away from it all. My heart was beating rapidly against my rib cage as my breathing turned ragged. The gps beeped rapidly and I skidded to a stop to look at it. I had deviated off of the path. I took a moment to breathe before I turned around and tried to find the street I had missed in my blind run. The sky was still light out, that was one thing I was thankful for. I didn't know if I wanted to be out on the streets when it was dark out.

I found the street a block down and turned onto it with a sigh. I shifted the package to my other hand and shook out my cramping one. I must have had a death grip on it from how badly my hand was aching. I looked around warily. The beast's emotions were fuelling my own. Its paranoia was my own, its fear was my fear, and its anger was everything. It was terrifying how quickly it had began to change me. I didn't want to change but even I knew it was too late for that. Until I paid off my debt to Octavia I knew there was no hope for me to get rid of the beast. The scientists on Haven had to have a vaccine or an antidote to get rid of it. That was all I had hope for.

I looked down at the gps and realized I was getting closer to the end of the route. I let out a shaky breath as I looked up, searching for what could be my destination. There was a red glow down the street and I realized, from the practically naked girls dancing in front of it, that it was a strip club. I had heard of them but looking at them I felt my stomach churn slightly at the thought of all those men leering at half dressed women. I glanced at the gps again and sighed in relief when I realized it took me away from the front of the building.

That was short lived when I realized it took me to an empty alleyway. I swallowed slightly as I stared at it with wide eyes. I was scared, terrified really but I was human, it was a natural response to the unknown. The beast inside of me whined and I had the impression of tongue licking bared teeth, agitation. I slowly started down the alleyway, it felt like my ears were twitching, searching out sounds. I reached a gate when the gps cut out. I stared at the metal gate warily before I hesitantly knocked. After a few seconds the door opened, a middle aged man opened it and stared down at me with a slight sneer.

"What do you want?" His voice was cold and I swallowed thickly.

"I- was told to d-deliver this." I couldn't help how my voice stuttered or wavered as I held out the package. He waved me inside and I followed him until he gestured for me to stop. I felt wary. The beast inside of me was agitated, it didn't like the situation. He took the package from me and I shifted on my feet, slightly antsy.

"Octavia sent you then. Bitch keeps her nose in too many businesses but she makes some fine drugs." He peeled back a corner of the wrapping and sniffed it. "Good as usual. A couple kilos here, worth about five thousand marks." He pulled a card out of his pocket before he looked at me. His dark eyes raked over me in a way that made my skin crawl and the beast growl.

"Who owns you, mongrel?" He set the brick of what I now knew was drugs, down slowly, sliding the card back in his pocket.

"Octavia." I swallowed and looked over my shoulder only to see the only exit slowly close and click shut. My heart lurched in my chest and my breathing increased as the beast gave a low rattling growl. I wasn't safe. It was all I knew.

I wasn't safe.

"I'm not seeing a brand on you." His voice was almost contemplative and I looked at him with a faintly panicked look.

"Brand?" I didn't know what that meant but from the rather calculating look he was giving me, I knew it was probably important to have one.

"Did she lose what was left of her brains? You are a prime piece of ass. I wouldn't let you walk around unbranded." He said it as if to himself before he snatched out a hand and grabbed me. I tugged against his grip in panic but it was like steel. He gave a low chuckle. "If she isn't going to brand you, I'm not letting go of the opportunity to get a new piece of ass." He tugged me against him and I struggled, my breathing coming in little panicked gasps. Tears came to my eyes as I tried to escape his rather unrelenting grasp.

I was not safe and I was not in a good spot.

"I think I might try you out. I love it when they have a bit of fight in them." His other hand slid down my back to palm my ass and I gave a small cry of pain as his fingers dug into my flesh harshly. The beast inside of me growled savagely and before I knew it, his shoulder was in my mouth, long teeth digging into his flesh relentlessly. A loud growl rattled my throat and chest as his coppery blood flooded my mouth before he shoved me off, grabbing the ragged wound. The beast wanted more of his blood, of his flesh, but I wanted only escape. I turned around and bolted for the closed door, I prayed it was open.

"You fucking bitch." It was spat out harshly and I tugged on the door handle but the door wouldn't give. It was locked. I yanked on the door regardless, fighting hard right before I was slammed against it, my head making a loud crack against the metal. "You fucking whore." There was a ringing in my ears as I was spun around. I couldn't even focus as I blinked, a hand wrapped around my throat tightly.

"Get me the fucking drugs! I need to put this bitch out." The words were spat out, spittle landing on my face as I looked at his. His face was red, veins bulged on his forehead and the beast snarled, the sound escaping my throat and rattling my already painful head. "Don't you snarl at me, you little cunt!" He pulled me closer and I was able to see the slight redness his eyes held. They were similar to Dom's in colour, from drugs or alcohol I wasn't sure.

"I'm going to fuck you raw for that." He shoved me back and my legs felt like they would give out as my head hit the metal door again. "I said get me the fucking drugs." I could see spit flying off of his lips as he shouted it, the sounds of his voice piercing my head.

"Should know better than this, Larson." The voice was vaguely familiar and the grip on my throat was gone almost immediately.

"Fuck." The man sounded scared and I let my legs crumple as I watched as a man came forward from the shadows the building cast. It was an almost eerie scene as the man stepped into the sparse light.

"Fuck is right." His gaze was neutral but it was his eye patch that caught all my attention. It was the scary Beta, Benjin. I blinked as the man named Larson backed away. "You fucked up." I swallowed as I reached up and touched my throat, it felt alright despite how tightly he had been gripping it.

"Look I didn't mean-"

"Shut up." The two syllables held an extraordinary amount of power and Larson's mouth closed tightly, as if physically unable to speak. Even I felt the need to not speak as I shuddered under the weight of the order towards the man.

"We gave you everything you had and this is how you repay us?" Benjin stalked after Larson as if he were a hungry tiger and Larson was hapless prey. Larson shook his head rapidly and waved his hands. "We gave you life, Larson." The focus was coming back and I watched the interaction with a still pounding heart. The beast had grown quiet at the sudden appearance of Benjin. I wasn't sure what it was even thinking at the moment.

I blinked as I touched the back of my head, feeling the sensitive and painful bump with a hiss. Without warning Benjin's hand snapped out and long claws tore through Larson's neck. Blood splattered the wall next to me from the arterial spray and I screeched, scrambling across the ground to get away from the gory scene. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I wanted to cover my eyes, I wanted to curl up but I could only scrambled backwards as I watched Benjin grab the gurgling Larson. He forced him to his knees and it one smooth movement, slashed his throat again and with one loud crack, pulled his head off completely.

"We can take that life away." He tossed the head to the side carelessly. My stomach heaved and I rolled to the side, throwing up everything I had in my belly. I heaved until tears came to my eyes. My brain kept replaying the image of Benjin tearing his head off over and over again and it caused my stomach to rebelled violently. "Enough of that." I looked up through watery eyes as Benjin walked over and grabbed my arm, pulling me to my feet. I shook violently as I stumbled along after him.

"You are going to have to get used to seeing things like that." His voice was gruff as he stepped at the table Larson had put the drugs on.

"You killed him." I sniffled slightly as I rubbed at my eyes, trying to get rid of the wetness brought on by the vomiting. He had simply killed him. Took his head off like it was nothing.

"I did." Benjin pushed me towards the table before he grabbed me under my arms and lifted me off my feet, He sat me down on the table before he pulled his hands away. "Open your mouth." I did as instructed and a spray of mint breath freshener hit my tongue as he sprayed a small canister.

"Close." His orders were clipped and my mouth closed with a snap. The cool mint taste seemed to remove any and all trace of the bile from my mouth. I watched as he wiped his bloody hands off on his jeans as he threw the canister on the table. He grabbed a bag from beside the table and set it down next to me. "What you just saw is what happens when you disobey or fuck your Doyen over." His tone was low and commanded to be heard. I nodded, my face paling slightly at the rather sobering and sickening lesson. He dug around in the bag and pulled several things out.

"We sent you here specifically without a brand to see if we could trust Larson. We were questioning his faithfulness to Octavia." He frowned slightly before he shuffled a few things around in the bag. "If he would have taken his shipment and let you go free, we would not have a problem. However he attempted to take what did not belong to him. That is what happens to those people." He gestured to the dead body and I avoided looking at it entirely. My stomach protested at the reminder of the gory image.

"Why me?" I needed to know why he had chosen me. Why they had chosen me for their little fucked up test.

"Because it was convenient." He shrugged and I felt worthless. I had been attacked, mistreated and it was all because it had been convenient. The beast grumbled its displeasure at the thought and for once I agreed with it.

"But he hurt me." I wiped at my cheeks again and he gave another shrug, his eye glancing in my direction.

"You aren't dead and it wasn't anything serious." He pulled out a pair of rubber gloves from the bag before putting them on. "No permanent marks." I stared at the gloves on his hands as he poured some alcohol on a cloth. Not all marks were visible. Larson was going to do worse than simply hurt me.

"He was going to-"

"Rape you? Yes he was but you reminded him that you bite." His face was expressionless and I lowered mine in shame as I remembered my teeth tearing into Larson's shoulder. I shuddered at it and was glad I could no longer taste the coppery blood in my mouth.

"I didn't mean to." I hadn't, the beast had come out and had taken over my actions. A hand grabbed my chin in a hard grip and my face was forced upwards. I was forced to meet his gaze and I shuddered under the power it had. The beast whined a long and low sound of submission and the urge to lower my gaze was intense.

"Don't you ever apologize for protecting yourself." His eyes were hard like flint and they were dark and angry. "Do you understand me? If anyone comes at you with the intent to hurt, you go after them with an intent to kill. Don't you ever apologize for your instincts." He wiped at the side of my neck with the alcohol soaked rage before he wiped at my chin and mouth, the smell of the alcohol burning my nose unpleasantly. The cloth came away red and I resisted the urge to gag as I realized he had cleaned off Larson's blood from me. He released my chin before lifting up a thin package that held what looked to be metal symbol of a strange 'S' in a circle.

"This is a brand. This is what will protect you from people like Larson." He pulled it out of the packaging. "Tilt your head." I did as ordered but the beast protested the action and I felt very vulnerable with my neck exposed as it was. I felt his hands on my neck as he pressed the brand to my skin.

"Don't move." It was a sharp order and with a loud snap followed by a sharp tingle he let my neck go. "The brand fuses to your skin. Think of it like a tattoo except not as permanent. You can't remove it yourself but if you pay off your debt to Octavia, she can remove it for you." He reached up to his collar and pulled his shirt down. The same metallic symbol rested on his collarbone.

"We all have one. Don't fight with it or you will get a nasty shock." He pulled the gloves off before lifting me off the table under my armpits like I was a child. My hand went up to touch where he had placed the brand but there was nothing that I could feel. "You had me a little worried I would have to kill you, mongrel." He glanced at me and I shrunk under his gaze.

"What?" It came out as squeak. He spoke so casually about murdering me that it was enough to catch me off guard.

"After the little cat fight you witnessed, you bolted. If you wouldn't have gotten back on track, I would have killed you. We don't need unreliable mongrels running around disregarding rules and orders." His voice was completely uncaring and I swallowed thickly. I was nothing but a tool to them. "You are an important investment. You might not realize this but you are. Or you will be. Octavia spent over five thousand marks on you. She doesn't like wasting marks." He held out the drug package, the corner had been fixed, before he stuck another gps board to it. He removed the old one and the new one flickered to life. He handed me a brown wrapped box as well.

"Deliver those to the address marked. You will require a payment of seven thousand marks. Anything given above that is considered a tip." He grabbed my wrist and wrapped a thin plastic bracelet around it. "This is a phone. When you deliver the packages and the gps board shut down, you will be given a location. That is where you will be staying from now on. Memorize the location because it will be removed from the phone after you reach it." He turned away, shoving everything into his bag before he looked over his shoulder and stared at me intently.

"You owe Octavia just about six thousand marks. If you want to pay off your debt. I suggest you start running." He walked over to the door and yanked it open, something groaning deep inside of it as the lock snapped. The strength the action showed was spine chilling and awe inspiring. "Go." It was a barked order and I didn't need to hear it twice as I ran down the alley. I glanced down at the gps and the blinking red dot urged me to follow the path. Benjin's threat of killing me for deviating from the path were enough to keep me religiously looking at the gps.

I noticed a marked difference with those that were on the sidewalks. Growls died in throats and I was given a wide berth as their eyes landed on my neck where Benjin had placed the brand. The symbol obviously held power and for once I felt almost safe as I walked down the street. They avoided me as if I had been placed in an invisible bubble and I preferred it like that. I looked down at the gps and started jogging through the winding streets, following the glowing red path.

It didn't take me long to reach the destination and I looked at the run down house before I swallowed and tried to fight back the shakiness my body had. It was a reaction I couldn't control as I remembered what Larson had done to me. My head was fine, already healed but the fear lingered. I slowly moved up the cracked and overgrown pathway to the front door. I hesitantly knocked and swallowed against the fear. My heart hammered in my chest, a beat that told of how terrified I was.

I could hear laughter from inside the house for several locks disengaged and the door was pulled open. A large, clean looking man with hair pulled back into a ponytail looked at me. We stared at each other for a few moments, my mouth felt like it was glued shut as I looked at the towering man in front of me.

"You lost?" He said it slowly and I shook my head quickly, trying to make my mouth work.

"I needed to deliver this." I held out the two packages of drugs and he blinked slightly in what appeared to be shock before he smiled at me. There was a thick smell of something skunky from the interior of the house and when I glanced around the man there was a haze of smoke in the hallway.

"Hey, you are early. Got here quick." He beamed at me before glancing at the two packages. "How much do I owe Octavia for those?" He looked back and me and I realized his eyes were red as he leaned against the door frame.

"Seven thousand marks." I inhaled carefully and exhaled the same, trying to keep my breathing even.

"Good price. She always has top notch stuff. You use?" He pulled a small card from his pocket and stared at it intently as he used a large finger to tap on it.

"N-no." I tried to slow my heartbeat down and he nodded as he looked up at me.

"Nah, you're right. You don't look the type." He tapped more on the card, looking more and more agitated as his large fingers hit it. "Duane! Come here and do this. I'm so close to greening out that she's looking like a fucking bud." He pressed one large hand over his eyes as he held the card out with a sigh.

"Frank, I told you to leave the dabs alone but you had to try and be a big, tough man." A slimmer man with clean cut hair came to the door, carrying with him a scent of cologne and a faint smell of whiskey. I blinked between them as Duane took the card from Frank's hand.

"I am a big, tough man." Frank peeked through his fingers, a smile on his face as he looked down at Duane.

"Yes you are. My big, tough man." He kissed Frank's cheek, shooing him into the house and patting his ass on the way in. Frank chuckled before he reached back and pinched Duane's ass in retaliation. He jumped slightly and threw a scowl over his shoulder as the large pony-tailed man disappeared into the haze. I stared at them both in shock. Gay. They were gay. I had seen it before on Haven but I never expected to see it on downworld. The beasts seemed so backwards that it never occurred to me they would be accepting of homosexuality. "Sorry about that, sweety. He doesn't know how to hold his Mary Jane." He smiled at me before he shook the card out and then looked at me expectantly.

"How much do we owe you?" His kindness seemed genuine and I felt a bit more relaxed.

"Seven thousand." I was a tad confused as to the difference between currency that Haven and downworld had. Downworld had marks and Haven simply had dollars. I didn't know the exchange rate. He tapped on the card before he held it out. I took it, looking at the digital seven thousand that flashed at the top of the card before I handed him the two packages. I gave him a small smile as I looked at the watch. I half wondered when the location would be sent.

"Hey, sweety. For your troubles and for being so fast with the delivery." He held out another card and I took it in surprise. A five hundred flashed at the top of the card and Duane reached out and ruffled my hair. "Don't look so surprised the next time you see us, sweety. A mate is a mate regardless of gender. The moon doesn't make mistakes. You be careful out there and feel free to stop by anytime." He gave me a rather warm smile that had the beast inside of me relaxing and I nodded quickly.

"Thank you. Very much." I held the second card to my chest, my face hurting from how hard I was smiling.

"No problem, sweety. Take care." He waved at me as he started to close the door.

"See you again!" The voice boomed from somewhere in the house and Duane rolled his eyes before winking at me. I smiled at him as he shut the door, the locks clicking into place. The phone beeped and a gps popped up onto the small screen and I held both cards tightly in my hand as I started to follow the route laid out for me. I felt much better after meeting two beasts who were so genuine and kind. It was something I hadn't been expecting on downworld.

The back streets were empty as I walked through them. I felt a bit uneasy and the beast inside of me tensed up as if sensing something, I felt my ears twitching again, the beast focusing on certain sounds.

"Look wot we 'ave 'ere, boys. 'Owler mongrel. Fine piece of trim she is." They melted from the alleyway behind me and I whirled around, my heart in my throat.

"She's skinny but she is flush." He pointed to my hand with the cards and I tucked it behind my back with wide eyes. "You ain't hiding it from me. I know you have it." He moved towards me quickly and I couldn't stop the snarl that the beast let out. It rattled the air around me and the group of men stiffened, their own growls vibrating the air. The moved forward, stiff legged and aggressive.

"I think it's best if you lot fuck off." The voice was familiar, the beast inside me yipped in welcome and I fought the sound back. It had been unexpected and the reason jumped off of a nearby roof. He flashed a smile showing all of his teeth. My heart lurched with relief.

Miles.

"Wotchu on about, mate?" The first man turned away from me and the rest of the men did as well.

"I'm saying, you best fuck off." His tone was calm as he looked around at men that were slowly trying to surround him. He was wearing a black hoody and some jeans, I half wondered if he had stolen them.

"Says who?" Several of the cracked knuckles but Miles looked unimpressed as he ran his hand through his hair. He looked more at ease on downworld then he did on Haven.

"Says me." Miles gave them a smile that was in no way friendly or welcoming. It even made me shiver.

"You right cocky, ain't cha?" The first man stepped forward, his posture threatening.

"Yeah." Without saying anything else he pulled his fist back and drove it into to apparent leader's face. There was a crunching sound of bones breaking and the man howled. "But I have all rights to be." He gave a loud, window rattling growl that made the beast inside of me whimper and I clapped my hands over my ears.

"Come on!" It was a snarling roar as Miles threw out his arms. I watched as the rest of them hesitated before they scattered, their boots hitting the gravel alleyway with crunching steps. Miles looked around with a satisfied smirk. "Fucking pussies." He spat on the ground before he moved over, grabbing my wrist tightly before he grabbed the cards. I gave a low sound of protest that was silenced as he gave a small growl. He held up the cards.

"Never, and I mean never, carry this shit around where people can see." He grabbed the front of my shirt and tucked both cards into the side of my bra without a pause. My face went red as his hand brushed against the top of my breast as he pulled it out of my shirt. "If you have to, carry the marks card with a smaller amount of money. Use it as a decoy." He let go of my shirt before tapping the brand Benjin put on me.

"Good. You have a guard now, princess." He let me go and rocked back on his heels, staring at me intently. I narrowed my eyes at him. He was such an asshole. He had left me to fend for myself and I had gotten fucking taken and sold into slavery.

"Why the hell couldn't you-"

"Listen, princess. Having to take care of someone down here is like a death sentence. If I would have helped you, I would have got caught. Me before you." He pulled himself to his full height. "I got you out of the wreckage. You got yourself on a team. Now you just need to learn how to survive down here." His gaze was highly intense and I let out a shaky sigh as I avoided it.

"Do you have any idea what I wen-"

"I've been following you. So yes, I know." He shrugged as I stared at him, if the beast hadn't been so happy he was around I would have felt a bit creeped out. As it stood I felt a bit hurt he hadn't helped me out. "Needed to make sure you made it okay." He said it with a wave of his hand and I blinked.

"Following me?" I blinked again before panic rose up in my sharply. The beast growled and yipped in panic as well. "Are you crazy? There are people looking for you!" I started pushing him further into the shadows and he simply chuckled as if my panic was amusing.

"They are searching for me in the forest. Who expects me to be running around the city?" He rolled his eyes and grabbed my wrists, pulling them off of his chest and putting them by my sides. He let them go before crossing his arms over his chest, his biceps bulging slightly at the action.

"If they catch you-"

"They won't, princess, but I'm flattered you care." He smirked at me. He truly did appear to be in his element in the city. He looked a bit more relaxed in this atmosphere than he had in his cell or when we were in shackles.

"I'm upset you didn't. Do you know what I just went through?" Tears burned at my eyes and my chin wobbled slightly. I had been literally attacked and he had sat by and watched. I wanted to break down and cry. Everything had happened all at once and it would hit me all at once. I knew this because I could almost feel it coming on.

"I would have taken care of that asswipe before he hurt you." His voice was clipped and angry but he let out a calming breath. "But you had someone else come to your rescue. Ol' pirate eye." His tone was amused but I couldn't help but sniffle at the thought of everything that happened to me.

"Don't cry." The order was crisp but it didn't stop the tears from leaking out of my eyes.

"I'm scared." I wrapped my arms around myself hunched over slightly as if in pain. I was terrified. I had watched a man tear another man's head off and I was running drugs for a woman that had bought me and was more than likely more deadly than anyone I had ever met and I had been cast from my home. That had all happened in the span of twelve hours. I hadn't been given time to adjust.

"Fuck, princess." He muttered words I couldn't hear as I stared at the gravel road and tried not to break down. I had a warm cloth tugged over my head and when my head popped out I realized it was his hoody. He helped me pull my arms through the sleeves and I sniffled slightly, wiping at my face. "I know you are scared. You haven't had any time to process all of this shit. I spent two years in Irontown as a beast. I know what I am and who I am. You need to discover that for yourself." He moved closer and tapped my forehead.

"Trust her. She is you and you are her. This isn't her fault. She is nothing but an infant, she reacts with her instincts. You need to teach her how to be civil." There was a dominance in his voice that carried the order and I swallowed against the lump in my throat before I glanced up at him.

"How do you know?" I used the sleeves to wipe as my eyes and nose.

"Did you think I loved my beast when I shifted? I hated him. Fought him with everything I had but I learned that you can't fight against yourself." He shook his head slowly. "Give her a chance, princess, she will surprise you." He backed away as he nodded at my wrist with the phone on it.

"Thing probably has a timer. You need to head towards your new place before they come looking." He glanced around before he took a running start and grabbed the top of a fence and pulled himself up. Panic filled me at the thought of him leaving me alone.

"Don't leave me alone! Please!" I rushed towards the fence as he stood up on it. He was very agile for being so tall.

"Who said I was going anywhere, princess? I'll be around." He winked at me before jumping down to the other side of the fence. I bit back a small cry of fear as he disappeared. I stood still for a few minutes before the phone beeped. I lifted my wrist and realized a call was coming through. I tapped it hesitantly.

"You should have been here by now, mongrel." Benjin's voice was sharp and I swallowed, my eyes darting around.

"There were these guys. They tried to jump me." It was a partial truth. Those guys would have probably done a lot worse to me if they had the chance. I was just happy Miles showed up to prevent it.

"Did you lose the marks?" The marks. All they cared about was the money. I was the vehicle they used to get things from Point A to Point B. I was a tool.

"No. Someone helped." I wouldn't rat Miles out. I refused. He was all I had as a connection to Haven. He was the only one that I knew who had lived up there.

"Someone helped?" There was a thick coating of derision to his tone and I coughed lightly.

"Yes. Gave me his hoody." I hugged the material around myself. I hadn't realized how chilled I had gotten until I had cover. I rubbed at my arm slightly.

"I don't care about your admirers, mongrel. Get here before it gets dark." The call ended and I sighed as I stared at the blinking red dot. I started walking, following the path set out for me.

It was my life now, following blinking red dots at the whims of someone else. I was a slave and I knew I had to get used to it. Five hundred marks was a long way from getting home. I stared up at the sky, catching sight of Haven floating in the stratosphere.

"I will go home." I said it clearly as I stared at what used to be my entire life. "I will."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

399K 30.9K 32
Book Two of the Downworlder Series ~~~~~~~~~~~ High in the mountains, far from the cities that housed Doyens and the beasts they lor...
476K 13K 34
As much as Alaska Whittecur wanted to deny it, she couldn't stay away from him. An invisible force she didn't understand was pulling her towards him...
153K 3.9K 62
"The only way out is through." ***Warning: Is very triggering. Lots of detailed descriptions of abuse*** When your life turns into a nightmare and so...
1.7M 41.2K 33
When the war started. We helped. We fought. Soon the humans were gone. Wiped out by us. But not before making a weapon that doomed us long after they...