Love Her Softly

By conleyswifey

The last thing Liam Mcyntire expected to find in his barn one cold February morning, was a half-starved , fro... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen

60.3K 3K 176
By conleyswifey

Chapter Fourteen

Emma had not been able to eat all day. Her nerves simply would not let her. She would be seeing Liam tonight and Emma would be going to her first dance.

Emma had no idea how to dance... would she embarrass Liam? And surely being around so many people would be intimidating. If not for knowing Liam would be at her side, Emma would be far too frightened.

Emma only wished she had something more beautiful to wear other than her plain gingham dress....

The beautiful green dress had disappeared from the shop window days ago. Emma knew whatever women wore that dress would be the most beautiful woman there.

"Emma!" Ms. Anita's voice rang out from the sitting room.

Emma bounded down the stairs and found Anita standing with a brown paper parcel in her arms. "What is that?" Emma asked.

It was clear that Anita was feigning ignorance as she batted her lashes. "I have no idea. It's not mine so I haven't opened it."

"Who's is it? Do you need me to deliver it for you?"

Anita shook her head. "I'll deliver it." She held the package out to Emma. "And it's delivered."

Emma frowned as she tentatively took the package into her hands. "It's for me?" she whispered. "But from who.....?"

Anita's eyes twinkled. "Liam."

Emma couldn't breathe and tears filled her eyes. Liam had gotten her a gift? But he'd already done so much for her... No one had ever given her gifts or time or tenderness the way Liam did.

"There's a note attached," Anita informed her eagerly, clearly just as excited and curious as Emma was.

Wasting no more time Emma pulled the envelope from the package and tore it open. Frustration filled her. While she could make out several words and might have been able to eventually sound out the rest, her lack of reading ability kept her from reading the note as quickly as she wanted to.

With a sigh, Emma gave the letter to Anita. Anita nodded and cleared her throat.

My Dearest Emma

I'm no better at writing letters than I am at saying words. And I'm not any good at reading between the lines either but I was listening close the other day. You could wear those worn, tattered clothes I found you in and I would still be taking the most beautiful woman in the world to the dance. But I want you to feel special.

I hope you like your gift.

Yours

Liam

"Oh, my nephew is such a sweet man!" Anita gushed.

Emma swiped a tear form her eye before grabbing up the package and tearing away the paper. When her eyes fell on that green silk, Emma's tears fell harder and the fabric blurred.

Liam had gotten her the dress she had admired since she had arrived in town. But more than that..... He'd ensure that she would have the confidence to step into that dance without feeling like the poor mountain hick she'd been her entire life.

Emma would be the woman shining so beautifully in the shimmering, emerald gown.

"Emma, that's beautiful!" Sally gushed as she came into the sitting room. "Isn't that the dress you'd been wanting from Mrs. Ryan's shop?"

"Yes. It's a gift from Liam."

Sally laughed lightly. "I'll bet Mrs. Ryan's head nearly burst into flames when he went in and asked for it."

Emma bit her lip and fought back laughter. She'd never thought of that. She glanced at the dress and then back to Sally. "Can ya....?"

Sally smiled. "Can I what?"

Emma swallowed hard and shrugged. "Help me. I've never gotten all dressed up before..."

"Of course I'll help you!" Sally assured her. "Lauren is in the bath now. Come on and we can all get ready together."

Emma felt as if she were floating as Sally wrapped her arm around her shoulders and led her from the room. Her life was different, better, than she'd ever thought it could be. She had friends and she was free to live without fear.... She had begun baking and selling pies and already had several orders filled and more lined up.

And she had Liam—a man so different from any she'd ever known existed. Warm, caring and thoughtful. A man who didn't yell at her, raise angry hands to her or force her into anything.

Emma was building her life. The life her mother had wished so desperately for her.

"I know what that smile means." Sally wiggled her brows. "Let's get you all prettied up so you're ready to see that man you're daydreaming about."

Emma flushed red and chewed her lip. She hoped Liam was just as excited about tonight as she was.

***

Emma felt as if her nerves were going to eat a hole straight through her stomach as she paced the sitting room and waited on Liam to arrive.

A knock on the door had her stopping in her tracks.

Lauren leapt to her feet. "I've got it!" She skidded to a stop at the door, adjusted her wool skirt and pulled the door open.

William stood there with a nervous smile on his young face. "Hi there, Lauren. You look uh..." His face reddened. "Real pretty."

Lauren, in a moment so out of character for her, blushed, bit her lip and tucked a loose tendril of dark hair behind her ear. "Thank you."

Ms. Anita stepped forward and greeted William. "Hello there, William. I trust you'll take good care of Lauren and return her home before too late?"

William nodded. "Of course, ma'am."

"I'll walk them down to the dance," Sally offered, slipping on her shawl. "Clarence is waiting for me. He's going to be playing music there tonight."

Emma watched them leave and resumed her pacing. Where was Liam? Had he changed his mind? Had something happened to him?

The sudden knock on the door startled Emma from her pacing and caused her to let out a startled cry.

The door flew open at the sound of her cry and Liam barged in appearing ready for a fight.

"Liam!" Anita exclaimed, clutching at her chest. "What has gotten into you?"

Liam ran his hand over his slicked hair and glanced sheepishly at his aunt. "I heard Emma and I thought something was wrong...."

Emma felt as if a jolt of lightning swept through her as Liam's dark eyes truly landed on her. "Emma...." His voice was strained. "You look..." Liam cleared his throat. "...real pretty."

Emma smiled and dropped her gaze to the floor as she nibbled at her lip. "You look nice too," she murmured. And he did.

Liam had traded his buckskin for black trousers and a matching jacket over a gray waistcoat. His dark hair was slicked back and he was far more dapper and handsome than Emma had ever seen a man look.

"That dress looks a while lot prettier on you than it did in the shop."

Mention of the dress had Emma overcoming some of the nerves and shyness that she felt in Liam's presence. "Liam, I want to thank ya so much for the dress.. I've never worn anythin' so pretty."

Liam smiled. He stopped forward, took Emma's hand and swooped down to kiss her temple. "And I've never seen a more beautiful woman."

Liam released her hand and held out his arm so Emma could loop hers through. "Are you ready, Emma?"

Emma shook off the happy fog of Liam's tender kiss and took his arm as her excitement grew. "I'm ready."

Liam glanced at his aunt who was watching them with adoration. "Are you coming? I have a second arm," he offered.

Anita waved away his offer. "No, I believe a quiet night in appeals to me more."

"I should probably tell you that Patrick showed up today. He claims he's going to stick around awhile."

Anita snorted as her nose curled. "That jackass didn't bother you too badly, did he?"

"I can handle him," Liam assured her gently, leaving Emma very curious as to who Patrick was.

Once Liam was guiding her down the boardwalk, Emma asked him.

Immediately, Liam's face darkened. "He's my father. I haven't seen him much my entire life and he's never been a good father."

"Did he hit ya?"

Liam shook his head. "No....no, he was never violent. He just wasn't...present."

Emma hated the sadness in Liam's dark eyes. Tonight was a night for happiness. She squeezed his arm tighter and laid her head against his shoulder.

"I've never been to a dance, Liam. Thank ya for this."

The smile he flashed her way nearly had Emma tripping over her feet. "Anything for you, Emma."

Emma felt as if she were glowing. And she truly believed him. Liam wasn't fond enough of words to waste time on ones he didn't mean.

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8K 251 35
"Who are y-you?" I whisper to him, scared that might he do something bad to me if I tried to move. Sensing the bad energy that screamed power and mys...
232 73 31
New relationships should be carefree and fun; but Nicole and Niall are not feeling the heat; so, why not a romantic weekend away to test the waters o...
166 59 46
*First in the Fire Whiskey series* 'What if I was making the wrong choice again, picking the bad guy over the steady and reliable one? Because as I...
5.8K 302 60
When nineteen year old Ryder Wilson met the sweet seventeen year old Anastasia Farrell, he knew that he wanted to be with her. Their friendship gradu...