Chemical Attraction (Student...

By hopelessromantic1993

What would you do if you lost everything that ever mattered to you? When Phoebe Miller loses her family in a... More

Chemical Attraction Chapter 1
Chemical Attraction Chapter 2
Chemical Attraction Chapter 3
Chemical Attraction Chapter 4
Chemical Attraction Chapter 5
Chemical Attraction Chapter 6
Chemical Attraction Chapter 7
Chemical Attraction Chapter 8
Chemical Attraction Chapter 9
Chemical Attraction Chapter 10
Chemical Attraction Chapter 11
Chemical Attraction Chapter 12
Chemical Attraction Chapter 13
Chemical Attraction Chapter 14
Chemical Attraction Chapter 15
Chemical Attraction Chapter 16
Chemical Attraction Chapter 17
Chemical Attraction Chapter 19
Chemical Attraction Chapter 20
Chemical Attraction Chapter 21
Chemical Attraction Chapter 22
Chemical Attraction Chapter 23
Chemical Attraction Chapter 24
Chemical Attraction Chapter 25
Chemical Attraction Chapter 26

Chemical Attraction Chapter 18

61.4K 1K 104
By hopelessromantic1993

Hello to all my lovely fans, old and new! Thanks for helping me hit the milestones of 200 fans and 1000 votes! *dances happily* Sorry about the wait for this chapter :( Life has been so busy! *cries*

If any of you are interested, there is a student/teacher relationship story called Worlds Apart by alibuzzbee which I think has real promise and potential. :) Check it out! Haha

For those who don't know, Mr Cooper's POV is UPLOADED!! It's on my profile! So please check it out after reading this chapter if you haven't yet! :D Thanks

As usual, VOTE/ COMMENT/FAN!! Enjoy! :)

Chapter 18

The shrill ring of the alarm clock cut through my head like a sharpened knife. I clutched at my ears in agony, trying to deaden the sound. My eyes fluttered open before squeezing tightly shut as the light seared my eyes with blinding pain.

I moaned in distress. ‘What the hell is wrong with me?’

I felt the mattress shift next to me and finally, the dreadful racket ended. But the pounding in my head just grew worse.

“You thirsty?”

My eyes flew open in surprise at the decidedly male voice. Wincing, I stared blearily at the Alex-shaped blur lying next to me in the bed. My mouth gaped and my head reeled in shock.

“Oh no, please tell me we didn’t…” I murmured under my breath.

“Relax. Nothing happened, Phoebe.” Alex interrupted. “However much I’d like to, I prefer my girls conscious.”

Alex chuckled and my cheeks flamed. I hadn’t realized he’d heard me.

“So, you thirsty?” Alex repeated.

I nodded quickly as I became aware of my parched throat and dry, cracked lips. Alex handed me a glass of water from his bedside table with a smile, and sitting up, I downed it in one. I sighed in relief, feeling slightly better. But not much. I still felt as though I’d been dragged backwards up a hundred flights of stairs and then dropped off the edge of a skyscraper. Basically, I felt like the living dead.

I moaned softly and sank my head back down onto the pillow. Alex clucked his tongue in sympathy.

“Looks like you have a killer hangover, Bee.” he said softly. “Not really surprising considering how much you drank.”

I frowned at his words. “I don’t drink.” I mumbled.

“Really?” Alex’s voice took on a teasing tone. “So what did you do last night then?”

“I… err… um…” I stuttered, racking my brains hard. But last night was just a hazy blur.

“I don’t remember…” I finally admitted as Alex raised his eyebrows.

“Take it from me, Baby Bee. You got wasted.”

I grimaced at his new nickname. “Oh god, please don’t ever call me that again.”

“Call you what, Baby Bee?” His face was a perfect picture of innocence.

“Urgh,” I growled, rolling over and snuggling into my pillow. My revenge plan was already formulated. I’d sleep this cursed headache off and then kick him in the balls.

‘Perfect.’

Suddenly, my warm duvet was whipped off my body and I almost shrieked at the sudden cold. I curled up into a protective fetal position as I glared at Alex’s smirking face.

“Sorry, Baby Bee. No more sleepy time. We have to be in our biology lesson in half an hour! And you really need to go back to your room and take a shower, because frankly, you reek of alcohol.”

I groaned as I absorbed his words, before stumbling out of bed. My vision went dizzy from vertigo and I wanted to puke.

“Why did I drink so much before a school day?” I questioned him irritably. “And why are you not hung-over?”

“Because you’re a dumb teenager.” Alex laughed. “And, unlike you, I can hold my drink.”

He puffed out his chest, looking proud. I rolled my eyes and staggered towards the door.

“You’re very cute when you’re hung-over, Baby Bee.” He declared and I huffed in exasperation as I opened the door.

“And don’t be late to Biology or Miss Jones will murder you!” He called after me as I slammed the door shut.

Quickly, I snuck back to my room, wary of being caught by teachers and other students wandering down for breakfast. I sighed in relief as I closed my door behind me and made a bee-line for my dresser. I rummaged around in the top drawer, muddling up the contents before pulling out a box of pills and popping the cap off. I clumsily swallowed two paracetemol tablets, fighting the urge to gag.

After speeding through the shower in record time, I glanced at the clock and almost choked in horror. I only had ten minutes to dress and get down to Biology! I threw my uniform on higgledy-piggledy, attacked my hair with a brush and practically sprinted towards the classroom.

As I rounded a corner near the classroom, I collided with another person, a mass of blonde hair obscuring my vision.

“Oops, I’m so sorry!” I babbled in apology before the girl whirled around and pushed me back viciously, her eyes flashing with anger.

“You better be careful, b*tch! Don’t play games with me or the whole school will find out your little secret!”

“W-what?” I stammered.

“Come on, Stacey. We’re going to be late.” Another girl said, tugging on the blonde girl’s sleeve.

I stood there, gaping, as Stacey flounced off with a gaggle of girls. What was she on about? My secret?

The blood drained from my face as a few memories came flooding back. Her face, blurry in my mind, hissed at me, the words menacingly clear. “I saw you yesterday before lunch. With him.”

I swayed lightly on my feet with horror. How could I have forgotten? I kneaded my head as it started to throb, more agonising than before. Then the bell rang, splitting my head in half with pain, and I realised all the students had left the corridor and that lessons had begun. I gulped in worry. On top of everything else, I was late.

Filled with reluctance, I shuffled my way to the classroom door, dreading the reception waiting for me. Biting my lip, I knocked gently and entered the room, an apologetic look on my face.

Miss Jones barely glanced up as she marked a red line by her register. “You are late, Miss Miller,” she said tersely. “Detention during break.”

I pouted slightly, but made my way to my desk without comment. Arguing back only extended the length of your punishment with Miss Jones. I sat down next to Jo-Jo who smiled at me in sympathy. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Alex laugh in amusement and I frowned. I guess he knew I would end up late. How annoying.

But more pressing concerns began to crowd my head. As I scribbled down notes from the board, I began to stress about the girl’s threat, my chest constricting with anxiety. I was more worried about Jared than myself; if she revealed what she had seen, it could ruin his whole future! And I would never forgive myself if that happened.

I sighed in misery and rubbed my temples. ‘It’s not as if you wanted him in your life anyway.’ I tried to tell myself. ‘You told him to get out for good.’

But deep down, I had always known that what I said hadn’t been true. I wanted him so much it hurt. And now that any chance of being with him had been snatched away so viciously, I regretted my last words to him even more. I simply wanted to curl up in his arms and let him comfort me. He may have made mistakes, but he was the best person I had met here. Losing him for good, with no ability to change that, was unbearable.

The corners of my lips turned down, and I had to control myself to not break down and cry in the middle of Biology. I couldn’t believe that in so short a time after losing my family, I was losing someone else I really cared about. Fate played some very cruel tricks. Suddenly, a note was dropped into my lap and looking down, I recognized Jo-Jo messy scrawl.

What’s wrong, Phoebe? You look really upset. Is this about what you told me on Saturday evening? I’m so sorry. Just stay strong and it will soon become easier. Love you.

I smiled gratefully at her thoughtfulness as I read her note through. Placing the note on the top of my desk, I rummaged in my bag for a pen to write back. Suddenly, the note was grabbed off my desk, and I looked up in shock. Miss Jones’ angry eyes bored into mine as she shouted at me.

“So! First you wander in late, and then you think it’s acceptable to pass notes, do you?”

“No, Miss, I’m sorry.” I apologized, praying that she would put the note down without reading.

“Well, it’s just not good enough!” She snapped back. “Let’s see what was so important it was worth ignoring your lesson!”

“Please don’t read it, it’s private!” I pleaded, but to no avail. Her eyes quickly scanned the paper, her mouth curled into a sarcastic smirk.

“Well, you can be as upset as you like, but it’s no excuse, Miss Miller. Please discuss your little issues outside of my lessons, thank you.”

And after that biting remark, I saw red. Her assumption that any of my problems were just some trivial little issue sent fury coursing through my blood. How dare she say that! As if I hadn’t just lost the family I loved. As if I wasn’t so traumatized by their death that I woke up screaming in the middle of the night. As if my whole life hadn’t been torn apart. As if I wasn’t being threatened by a girl who could ruin the life of someone I cared for. At that moment, I truly hated her.

“You haven’t got a f*cking clue!” I shouted, before my brain could process the consequences. “You’re just an insensitive b*tch!”

The whole class gasped in shock, and a few boys let out low whistles. Gradually, the noise fell to an unearthly silence as we glared at each other, my fists clenched so hard they were shaking and her lips pursed in fury.

“Leave my classroom now.” She eventually whispered, her words carrying through the silent room.

“Gladly,” I retorted, and I kicked back my chair and stormed out, the class erupting into stunned conversation as the door shut behind me.

Straight away, I broke into a run, heading back down the corridor as the tears poured down my face. I was completely shocked by my outburst, and the trouble I knew I would be facing just added to my growing list of worries.

Up ahead, a door started to open, and my heart sunk. The last thing I wanted was for someone to see me in this state and start asking questions. I ducked into a nearby corridor I hadn’t been down yet, that led to a darkened room, the wooden door slightly ajar. I slipped inside as the person walked by, sighing in relief as I closed the door behind me. I looked around the room, my worries fading slightly as a curious feeling of nostalgia took hold.

There were rows of red, cushioned seats facing away from me, looking towards a slightly raised platform at the opposite side of the room. A beautiful grand piano stood on the platform, its polished surface gleaming. A lump rose in my throat as I walked towards it, stepping up onto the platform. I hadn’t played since my family died, and only now did I realize how much I missed it.

I slowly traced a finger along the smooth surface of the piano, moving around it until I reached the stool. Carefully, I pulled it out and sat down on the leather cover, breathing deeply as my previous anger started to fade. I pulled up the lid of the piano, the hinges creaking softly at the movement. The keys shone white and black, reflecting the dim light, and I placed my fingers over them.

The last of my fury slipped away as I pressed down a key, the sound resonating richly through the room. My breathing hitched and my eyes glistened as one last tear fell from my eyes, sliding down my cheek and landing on the keys.

“This is for you, Mum.” I whispered softly, moving my hands to a familiar position on the keys. “And Dad and Jamie too.”

Taking one last second to compose myself, I hovered above the notes before striking the opening chords of my mother’s favourite song. I started to play with an emotion and intensity I had never managed before, the high notes soaring with freedom and beauty as I gave myself to the music.

And there I sat, in the dark, empty room, playing my sorrows away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

BLUE BLOOD By ec

Teen Fiction

360K 13.5K 63
Anybody who is a somebody knows that the blue-blooded heirs of Queens Erlington Academy keep secrets. Never fall in love with a blue blood or you'll...
415K 38.9K 33
๐™๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™– ๐™ ๐™–๐™ง ๐™™๐™–๐™ก๐™– , ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™ง ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ข๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ƒ๐™ค ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž...... โ™ก ๐™๐™€๐™๐™„ ๐˜ฟ๐™€๐™€๐™’๐˜ผ๐™‰๐™„ โ™ก Shashwat Rajva...
1.4M 41.6K 52
It only took one night to completely change my life. Jace Hetcher is a rich badboy and a total player. Now I, Chrysanthemum Everston, am having his b...