Faerie

By JenniTomalin

Once Upon a Time the Beryl crystal maintained equilibrium in the mythical kingdom of Faerie, which resides al... More

Faerie
Copyright
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter twenty six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
Faerie Playlist
Social Media

Chapter One

16.6K 624 41
By JenniTomalin

Chapter One

The emerald crystal was nothing remarkable. It looked like any other crystal encased in a fine silver design with links either side connecting it into a delicate necklace. It dangled effortlessly, catching the bright lights of the lab, it sparkled brilliantly. It was beautiful to look at, like all necklaces. Costume jewellery, maybe? It looked ancient and untarnished, like it was a prop belonging to a fantasy film or a Shakespearian play.

But I knew there was something odd about it from the moment I was shown it.

The Fitzwilliam museum was deserted on this late October afternoon. Pieces of ancient artefacts had been arriving all morning and were quickly and graciously added to the many fine exhibits that were going on this week. I was up to my elbows, researching medieval coins for the coinage exhibition starting in December. I was glad to be finally going home.

So, I was surprised when Karina stopped me at the entrance of the museum.

'Sophia, another collection has arrived,' she said, with excitement. Her grey eyes were large and pleading.

'Oh, go on then,' I replied, flashing a half smile. She always reminded me of a puppy, excited about everything. I was ready to go home and relax but looking at Karina's eager face I followed her back to the research labs, down underneath the museum. I had known Karina for eight years, as soon as I graduated from university and landed a job here. She always joined me on huge projects like this one, her knowledge on historical artefacts was outstanding and I admire her for that.

'You're not working late are you?' I asked, concerned. Karina would work all the time if allowed. She threw a wary grin over her slender shoulder as we walked through the automatic doors. The lab always reminded me of how a typical science lab should look. All four walls were brilliant white. With white tables adorned with all the latest technology to help researchers get the job done. It also reminded me of the Apple store around the corner.

The labs were filled with all sorts of treasure. Containing anything from five-hundred year old manuscripts from the colleges to thousand year old bit and bobs of ancient artefacts from around the world, all ready to be discovered and tell their story. Karina disappeared into the delivery room for a moment and returned with a wooden box, medium size with intricate Celtic designs etched all over. It looked like a scaled down version of a treasure chest. My skin suddenly tingled, goose bumps rising as she placed the box on the table and stooped to inspect it. This was a good find.

'It looks rather ancient. I'll make a note that it needs to be archived and logged after you are done with it.' Karina stated, her fingers running over the carved designs.

'Do you want me to remind you?'

'No, I've already done it.' She grinned, tapping her temple slightly.

'I don't know how you remember it all in there,' my smile widening.

Karina rolled her eyes and went to open the lid, but it wouldn't budge. She frowned and tried again.

'Looks like it doesn't want to be discovered.' she said, spinning the box gently to look at the hinges on the back.

Sudden muffled voices chanted in my ears, an eerie sound emphasising the vast quietness of the room.

'Did you hear that?' I looked around, puzzled by the strange sounds.

Karina looked up from the box and shook her head. Strands of dark hair coming loose from her bun, 'I didn't hear anything,'

I ignored what I heard, maybe it was the fact I had just done two twelve hour shifts, one after another. I was tired and in need of a hot bath and a good night's rest. I looked back down at it. The box was beautifully carved with floral patterns and Celtic symbols I had never seen before.

I must have been staring at it for a while, looking at the gilt edges and designs when I noticed an iridescent shimmer that seemed to run along the gap between the lid and box. Karina didn't seem to notice. I blinked.

'Nothing' I automatically said, my eyes not leaving the gap.

Karina straightened up and shook her head. 'It seems it doesn't want to show us its secrets'. She sighed. 'But, this is what has just arrived. I'll see if there are any of the specialist tools to open it with.' She finally said, turning to leave. I nodded.

Once she had left I hastily pulled the box towards me, my skin prickling when I made contact with it. The lid lifted easily and it seemed to give a small sigh. I ignored it. I was too tired for my mind to play tricks on me. I looked up to stop Karina, but she was already gone.

Alone, I slowly opened the lid further, as if not to disturb whatever, if anything that may reside inside, my eyes widened as the light from above caught the sharp edges and it glistened like a dozen stars. The faint whispers echoed in my ears once more and the emerald, silver necklace sitting elegantly inside twinkled on its own accord. I was expecting coins of a thousand BC or some sort of Viking artefact.

My slender fingers fluttered over the piece of jewellery, the crystal seemed too large to be attached to its fine silver chain. Carefully I held it up to look at it closer, my other hand taking the nonexistent weight. My hazel eyes narrowed as I took note of a faint mist, floating on top of the liquid inside the emerald. Like that of an enchanted lake in the small hours of the morning. I could feel my muscles in my shoulders tense and I felt oddly cold. It shimmered at me again and I quickly placed it back inside the box. I took a step away from the table.

Here I was, with my hard earned degree and my career beginning to blossom. The last thing I wanted was some ancient necklace to destroy it all, because I was afraid of it. My fingers itched wanting to open it again and learn more. But I held back; was my curiosity to do with my work? Or was it something else? Something much stronger, I shut my eyes hoping it would bring clarity and stop my inner emotions from taking over.

I breathed in the labs familiar air of clinical cleanliness and wondered what to do.

The box sat silently on the table. Its magic drawing and knotting something inside of me like the knot designs etched on it. My fingers returned to the smooth oak wood, a tingling feeling like pins and needles tickled my finger tips. I had never felt something this magnetic before and the sense of belonging was over powering.

I turned away, ready to leave. I was no longer interested. 'Karina!' I called out, she had been gone a while, it didn't take that long to find a few tools. Silence! I tried looking through to the next lab where she had disappeared to but the lights were still off. Maybe she had forgotten something upstairs. Oh well, I guess I should go home. I looked back down at the box, I didn't want to have to touch it again but I couldn't leave it out on show.

I exhaled out, something I clearly didn't want to do. I grabbed hold of the box, this time there was no whispering or show of a rim of light. I walked into the storage room near the door and was about to place the item on the shelf in the correct department when a sudden thought entered my mind. I found myself becoming attached to it, whatever it was. I felt like I couldn't leave it here. Strange, Instead I placed it in my satchel, promising myself I would bring it straight back tomorrow morning.

I reached the entrance to the Fitzwilliam museum once more, my hand raised to push open the door when the air around me constricted, as if the museum was squeezing me tight, not wanting me to leave. The air shimmered for a second, just as the gap between the lid and the box had shimmered, it caused me to shiver involuntarily the tiny hairs on my arms rising.

Something had just happened, something magical yet disturbing.

It's nothing you are tired, I thought as I left the museum.

Are you sure? Whispered a long ignored voice in the back of my mind

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

382 58 24
In a dreamy moonlit world, two girls from opposite sides of the societal spectrum find themselves entangled. Their passion and emotion ignite both al...
50.1K 5.2K 38
In the sequel to Treachery Queen, the Seelie Court has declared its war on the world, and nothing will ever be the same. It has only been a week sin...
3.9K 150 36
Rose tries on a locket that changes everything. She discovers she is half fae and when she goes to the Fae Kingdom, her life changes forever. Her mot...