Artificial Mind

By Inconvenient_Ideal

After hiding from a Decepticon attack, Minnie Ballentine gets swept up into the ongoing battle between them a... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
22

21

1K 52 9
By Inconvenient_Ideal

Being sheltered by a hand, Minnie kept her own hands over her ears. With her eyes squeezed shut she could hear the shouts of men, the gunfire, the fire of the Cybertronian weapons. There was sounds of things falling heavily to the floor, and more screams from the men.

When the hand which was sheltering her moved, she peeked up through the digits. Optimus looked down at her. "Ready?" He asked, Minnie slowly nodded hesitantly yet jumped up to stand. Climbing into his hand she quickly climbed up his arm and rested on his shoulder. Optimus charged out from where he was hiding, along with Ironhide, the small group charged through what little defences there was. Ironhide easily tackled two drones before turning and shooting at three more. From Optimus's shoulder, Minnie clutched on tightly with one hand, and used the other to provide cover fire from high up for the soldiers.

They had made it to the city centre. From a crater, smoke rippled and coiled slowly in the air. Soundwave had quickly flown back when he realised that the small attack force wasn't worth wasting time with. Knock Out had shouted at him to return and fight. This caused the red bot's shoulders to sag. He turned only to get hit across the face by Arcee. Knock Out fell to the floor unmoving by this point. For all they knew he was still unconscious and unable to appear in this fight.

"Shockwave," Minnie muttered only to end up shouting the name again. Sure enough, the purple scientist came driving speedily out from the crater. Jumping in the air he transformed and impacted against Ironhide. The two went charging backwards, each throwing punches and trying to fire at the other.

Optimus merely glanced at them before running and shooting. He was still making his way to the crater. Megatron was down there, the drones which had surrounded the crater had been scattered and mostly dealt with. For all purposes, Megatron was now alone in the crater, still trying to achieve whatever it was he was trying to do. Soundwave shot above them and landed on a roof. He made his way down only to be greeted with shots by Bulkhead. Laserbeak got injected into the air and he zipped about shooting and aiding his comrade. Soundwave joined him in the air and took to firing from above.

"Optimus-" Minnie started and then stopped when Smokescreen appeared and dealt with the drones which were sneaking their way up behind them.

"Need help?" Smokescreen smiled and turned serious when Optimus glanced at him. "Sir, I think you need backup." He said while dashing after his leader. Whether Optimus had a choice or not, Smokescreen was going to stick with them.

Reaching the lip of the crater they all looked down. They didn't even need to say anything, or do anything. Megatron turned away from a machine which was banging its way through the ground. His eyes narrowed upwards towards them.

"Time to move," Smokescreen said while scooping Minnie off of Optimus's shoulders. A few seconds after he'd done this Megatron had shot into the air, transformed and started to open fire on them. She yelped and curled up as Smokescreen transformed and sped away from the shots. She turned and looked out of the window.

"Why are we leaving? We have to go back! We need to stop that machine!"

"We need Ratchet," Smokescreen said while skidding and turning, Minnie vaulted to the side and ended up banging her head against the door. "Sorry." He said while speeding forwards again, Megatron and Optimus had taken to fighting, their battle out did the petty fights which the drones were participating in.

"I don't even see Ratchet! We need to go back, Smokescreen."

"We can't try shutting that machine down, we don't know what it does. We could press something and it could explode. That'd do more harm than good." He said while running a drone over and promptly knocking another off of its feet.

Minnie pouted, frowning deeply she opened the door and rolled out of the fast moving vehicle. Tucking into herself she tried to ignore the pain of hitting against the ground and then bouncing off of it again. When she finally stopped she tentatively looked up. Yelping and pushing herself backwards she looked up into the empty eyes of the drone. It seemed she had hit against the drone and that's what stopped her momentum. With the way it was laying it provided cover for her. Climbing and peering over its head, she looked around.

She couldn't see Smokescreen, she didn't know where he went. Optimus and Megatron were still throwing each other around. She winced as a fist impacted against Megatron's head, only for a hand to smack up into Optimus's ribs. Shutting her eyes, she opened them and looked to the side. The crater was so close. Jumping away from the drone she ran as fast as she could towards it. Managing to avoid any real fights, Minnie skidded down the crater wall. Stopping and walking to the machine, she looked it over. There was a hole in the ground which some sort of mechanism was constantly pounding into. Frowning she stepped back, perhaps it worked in the same way as an oil drill. Lifting her arms up she let out a levelled sigh.

She wouldn't be able to move that by hand. But if she damaged it, it should stop, right? She needed to do something useful. As much as helping the soldiers was important she found that possibly stopping the oncoming resurrection of Unicron was a bit more important. Minnie winced when the machine sparked up and broke into separate pieces. Ignoring the burning sensation she pushed and kicked the pieces of metal away. Looking down into the hole she pushed her hair to the side.

"Insect."

Inhaling deeply she took a step back. "Pest!" Minnie screamed as she was swept aside and went careering along the debris scattered ground. Managing to push pieces of tarmac and concrete off of herself she looked to her damaged arms. Pieces of metal and tubing were clearly more visible than they were originally.

Looking up she winced as Megatron aimed down at her. Looking frantically around she tried to find Optimus. "What's wrong? You looking for your saviour?" Megatron smirked as a light begun to glow from the barrel of his weapon.

Minnie shrunk backwards with her eyes shut. She gave up trying to get free from the debris. She would never clear the space in time. Opening her eyes as Megatron exclaimed, she looked to where Smokescreen had tackled him to the side. Smokescreen was so out matched both in size, speed and power. "Get moving!" He shouted to her as he got pushed backwards, he dodged quickly out of the numerous shots which Megatron fired at him. Minnie didn't think twice, she used Smokescreen's distraction as an opportune time to quickly wriggle free.

Looking up she watched as Smokescreen was thrown away from Megatron, he gave a twitch then didn't move anymore. Minnie's eyes widened, shaking her head slowly she kicked the last of the rubble off of herself. Wincing as she jumped up she looked at Megatron. He looked at Smokescreen with disdain before looking back at her. "Now pest, it's just you and me. What are you doing to do?"

Minnie looked up at him as he took a step forwards. She sighed and stepped back hesitantly. Space wasn't exactly an issue though, Megatron could still easily catch her, shoot her, kill her from where he was standing. "Easy," Minnie said while suddenly running forwards. Megatron watched her interestedly, yet opened fire. Minnie's smaller form was harder to lock onto than the usual robotic forms he was previously firing against. Skidding past him, she continued to run towards Smokescreen. Megatron turned and frowned at her retreating form. Lifting his weapon up he aimed it more at Smokescreen than her.

"Optimus!" Minnie shouted as she skidded and stopped by Smokescreen's side. Megatron found her calling for him funny, he stood laughing for several moments. He stopped at the sounds of a roaring engine though. From over the top of the crater Optimus sped down in vehicle form. He swerved in and out of the path of Megatron's shots, and when he was close enough he transformed and barged into him.

Minnie watched as the two commenced fighting down here, turning to Smokescreen she put her hands on his arm. "Smokescreen? Smokescreen!" She climbed into his chest, putting a hand over where his spark was she frowned lightly. Warmth was still emanating, which meant he wasn't dead, just badly injured.

She looked over her shoulder and watched as Megatron got simply flung to the side, she winced when Optimus took a hit to his chest and faltered backwards. In his backwards fall, he found his footing again and stepped forwards driving his sword through Megatron's chest. The silver bot gave a lurch before being flung away. Megatron's form skidded along the ground and ended near the hole in the ground.

Smokescreen groaned quietly. "You've missed the fight, buddy." Minnie whispered as his optics opened and focussed on her. "I'm so sorry...you got hurt because of me." Smokescreen smiled lightly and put a digit on her head. Pushing himself up he caught her in his hand and put her on the ground. Awkwardly standing he walked slowly to where Optimus was knelt.

"Sir?"

"Optimus?" Minnie put her hands on his leg and looked up at him worriedly.

Moving his hand from his injury he looked past the two of them. "This fight is over." He stood slowly and looked down as Smokescreen and Minnie took a step back to give him space.

"Insect," Minnie put her hands to her head and squeezed her eyes shut. Turning slowly she looked to the hole which slowly had cracks forming from it. These cracks travelled outwards.

"Cave in, we need to move." Smokescreen said while Minnie got carefully picked up by Optimus and they quickly made their getaway from the crater. When they got back up, they were surrounded by the remaining soldiers and Autobots. Slowly turning, they all watched as the cave in happened. The only thing which wasn't to be expected from the cave in was a sudden explosion and an arm drag its way along the ground. With the arm came a body, and with that body came a head which was spouting all manner of confusing words.

"That's not possible." Bulkhead said while frowning down at the site. Bumblebee stood beside him and nodded agreeing, he let out a few low squeaks for good measure.

"How?" Ratchet had joined in with the disbelief.

Minnie tapped her head repeatedly before shaking it slowly. Her actions had been picked up on by some nearby soldiers who were looking at her oddly. "I have to go." She said quietly, no one heard her. Looking quickly up she tapped Optimus on the leg. He looked down at her quickly. "I need to leave." She twitched as the voice from earlier on reappeared. "I...I..." whacking herself on the head she twitched again and rubbed her ears. "I can't be so close."

Optimus slowly knelt beside her. He glanced from Megatron's form slowly trying to figure out how to stand, to Minnie. "He is communicating to you?"

"How observant." Minnie replied bluntly and tapped a finger against her forehead. "Sorry! I didn't mean to sound so harsh, just...Optimus this is driving me mad. His voice, it won't go away...it keeps telling me of the destruction he wishes to do, now that he has a body." Her eyes widened and stared off into nothing. "When Primus spoke to me...he never warned me of such hate...and..." her voice trailed off, tilting her head to the side she never finished her sentence as a scream had cut into the air. "I don't want to be a messenger between two worlds anymore." Minnie looked up at him. "It hurts." She said as a digit slowly and gently pressed down on her head. She slowly looked to the side as Megatron's reanimated form had stood, it was him who had screamed earlier on. If there was any part of him that was alive in there, it must be getting corrupted more than it already was.

Minnie's head twitched quickly. If Unicron's whispered words were having this affect on her, what was it like for Megatron, who was now sharing a body with the one being he seemed to worship?

Optimus stood slowly, "We cannot ask you to take part in this fight anymore." He said addressing the remaining soldiers. "For you to fight, many of you will fall. Although it shan't be in vain, I cannot ask you to fight against such an enemy."

"With all due respect," one soldier said while shouldering his gun. "We very rarely get asked to fight against certain enemies."

"He's right," another had voiced. "This guy is as much our enemy as he is yours. He's destroyed so many lives already. And we've all come this far. What really makes you think we're just going to turn and leave you to it?"

"Such bravery," Optimus said quietly while glancing at Minnie. "You must leave."

"I could still be useful, if I didn't have him on repeat in my head. Shockwave never mentioned that I'd be forever susceptible to both good and evil messages."

"He's on the move!" Ironhide exclaimed cutting into the quiet moment.

Optimus knelt down again. Looking to a nearby soldier who was gripping his injured arm, he looked to her. "You will escort her out of the city."

"Sir." The soldier snapped to attention, having the rather serious tone and expression of Optimus staring down at him, he couldn't exactly look away or disagree.

"When you get back to the camp. Tell Fowler and whoever is in charge of what is happening."

Minnie nodded slowly yet slowly shook her head. "Why does this goodbye feel so final?"

Loosely holding onto her, Optimus lifted her up. "Because-"

"It may be?" Minnie asked sadly. She defiantly shook her head. "My dream! The one where you and Smokescreen die, it shall not happen! It won't! You're both strong, you won't die...neither of you will die..." Minnie's voice trailed off quietly and sadly. Wiping her eyes her head bobbed slowly as a digit was pushed against the top of her head again. Looking up she tried to smile. "Goodbye, Optimus." Even though it was an impossible act, she threw her arms against him. Minnie nudged her head slowly against his and squeezed her eyes shut.

"Look after each other, as you go. Drones may still be prowling the street unaware of Megatron's downfall and resurrection." Optimus said while putting her back beside the soldier.

"We will," Minnie said while wiping her eyes again. She looked up at the soldiers, some of the more injured ones were also apparently coming back to camp too.

"Hey," Smokescreen grinned down at her. "No crying, you'll see me again."

Minnie smiled and nodded surely. "I will see you all again." She said while listening to the quiet pattering of feet behind her. The soldiers were already retreating out of the city. Looking over her friends she frowned, but smiled strongly. She believed she would see them again, she definitely would. Turning slowly she looked over her shoulder. Smokescreen gave her a childish thumbs up and a smile, Optimus merely nodded slowly at her. With this she fully turned and ran after the soldiers, some of which who were helping each other to walk.

Falling into step beside the one Optimus had appointed to escort her, she glanced at him. "What's your name?"

"Jacob." He glanced down at her, his eyes lingered over the pieces of missing skin and the tubes and metallic elements which were on show. "Something tells me, if anyone's doing the escorting out of the city, it's you." He joked, Minnie smiled, despite her damaged state, she was still the stronger person in the group.

They all slowly retreated, when they had been walking for five minutes the sounds of fighting reached them. They faltered. All of them had it written and drummed into them to not leave comrades behind. Minnie stood fast to the spot frowning down at the ground. She couldn't go back. Going back would mean going against Optimus's words, he was sending her away for her sanity's sake and for her own safety. She could only imagine how Unicron would react to finding out she had previously conversed with Primus, and was more likely able to do so again.

"Come," Jacob put his arm around her shoulders and tugged her forwards.

"I can't."

"You can, and you must." Jacob said seriously, Minnie already knew he was right yet a part of her desperately wanted to turn and run back. What use could she be against Unicron? He now had a body; something which he seemingly didn't have last time. She was useless against Megatron, let alone facing off against his possessed form. That thought caused her to shudder. How could anyone defeat Megatron when his body was being controlled by Unicron? "He'll be fine," Jacob watched as some of his friends shuffled by. They too didn't wish to leave, but they had to. Minnie frowned and stepped forward heavily. Optimus would be fine. She would see him and everyone again, she kept repeating this with every step she took.

——

(Edited: 18/August/2020)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 88 15
In the distant reaches of the universe, on a planet called Cybertron, an epic war has raged for eons. Cybertron, once a peaceful world inhabited by s...
1.6K 47 4
In war, nobody really wins. The true objective is to lose less people and of what you are fighting for than your opponent. And the natives of Cybertr...
804 24 13
During the battle of Chicago another being appeared. She fought alongside the Autobots and the humans during the war. Little did she know that by app...
64.4K 1.8K 62
"Space Girl, show me the stars You know the galaxies of my heart." ~ space girl by frances forever | Onyxia, the daughter of Optimus...