Veronica's Death *COMPLETED*

By shashi1256

This story revolves around the lives of people living in a small town. Laketown is famous for its paper produ... More

Where am I?
The Uninvited
The sweet-bitter get together
The Revelation
Investigation starts
Hiding......
Aunt Trista
Wooden Cupboard has a secret. Shhhhhh!!!!!!
The Paper...holds a clue
Potential Suspect!
Suspect hunt!
The Undercover Agent
On the move!
Smart plans
Someone knew about it!
A ray of hope to find the truth!
Preparing the Noose!
Understanding differences!

Love

25 1 0
By shashi1256

Shortly, Angel returned along with Maria and took their seats. Then Daniel came in. Generally, Angel would have taken a sneak peek at Daniel. But that is not the case now. Angel was staring at the other guy. He was handsome. Now, Angel had a doubt if Veronica was still on a mission after seeing this man! Not to mention being engaged.

Angel: Are you Vivian?

Vivian: Yeah.

Daniel: She is Officer Angel who is a part of the investigating team.

Vivian: hi

She has to concentrate on the task at hand.

Angel: hi. Let's get to the point. Please have a seat.

Vivian: sure.

Angel: Vivian, we have some developments in the case. But there are gaps. We want some information from you.

Vivian: Please go ahead.

Angel: When was the first time you met Veronica?

Vicky's phone beeps. Angel sent her a text. "Give me a thumbs down if his story does not match with Sasha's"

Vicky looks at Angel and nods.

Vivian (with a lost look): I don't mind retelling this again. It was around one and a half year ago. I was visiting Heather to meet the Dean of the college where Veronica was studying. I was an alumni and he wanted to talk to me. I was on my way and was about to take a turn when all of a sudden, a girl jumped in front of my jeep. I pushed my foot down on the brakes hard and swerved. I swore and got down praying that nothing should have happened. This girl got up, smiled at me and dusted herself. She collected her books and went away.

Angel was listening to Vivian's account while Daniel found himself staring at her. He was not sure if she knew how Vivian was lured.

Angel: That is all?

Vivian: After talking to Dean, on his advice, I went to the canteen. There I saw that a guy was talking to her. Shortly, he started abusing her. I went and took care of the situation. She thanked me and we went for a coffee. I liked her smile. I asked her out on a date. We liked each other and then we decided to marry.

Angel: Why so soon? 

Vivian: We informed my dad and he too took a liking to her. There was no one stopping us. We wanted to give it a try. I was sure things will work out well for us.

Angel: Why did she move to Laketown? Were you the reason? Did you ask her to do this?

Vivian: Yes, I was the reason. I am working here. We had a discussion and she agreed to move in with me. David wanted us to have a house of our own.

Angel: Then why was Veronica living alone?

Vivian: She said she wanted to stay alone till our marriage. She would come and visit us in the morning and leave for church in the beginning. Afterwards, With the help of Father Gabriel, she made contacts in the town. She got a job. She worked on her passion in the part time.

Angel: who got her that house?

Vivian: Willy was my Dad's friend. Willy's wife, Trista agreed to give that house to us.

Angel: Did you introduce Trista to Veronica personally?

Vivian: Yes, Veronica liked her very much. She used to visit her often.

Angel: did you visit her at Latte's often?

Vivian: In the beginning, yes. We gradually decreased going out too much.

Angel: Why?

Vivian: Veronica was not the type to party hard. She was simple. She used to love walking. And, I used to walk her back home.

Angel: why are you saying 'used to'?

Vivian: She had irregular timings. So, I stopped doing that.

Angel: Are you hiding something from us?

Vivian: like what?

Angel: anything. Did Veronica ever look like she was hiding something from you?

Vivian: no, she used to share every little thing with me.

Ron: Did you ever go to meet her at Greens?

Vivian: once or twice.

Vicky: Reason?

Vivian: to take her out for dinner.

Maria: What is the deal with Neil?

Vivian (sighs): he loved her.

Maria: How are you sure about that?

Vivian: his behavior and intentions made it clear.

Maria: What did you do about that?

Vivian: had a verbal fight with him. Daniel was there. Neil left very angrily.

Maria: what was the reason of his anger?

Vivian: apparently, he met Veronica first. But she was oblivious to his feelings. I came later but I got the girl. Big deal!

Maria: any fight after that?

Vivian: none. Veronica took a promise from both of us for that time being, we would both ignore each other's presence.

Angel: why?

Vivian: she was upset that this was all about her. She did not want us to fight. She wanted us to take some time. She assured me that she does not reciprocate his feelings.

Angel: How did she assure you?

Daniel was not sure what Angel wanted to know.

Vivian: I stayed at her home for the night.

Angel was silent for some time. Daniel understood Angel's intentions.

Ron: So, you forgave him?

Vivian: He did not do any wrong thing. Whatever he did was a result of him being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person.

Ron: okay. Do you suspect anyone for her murder?

Vivian: no

Ron: Did she ever discuss something that seemed out of the context to you?

Vivian: Like what?

Ron: Anything out of the ordinary.

Vivian: She talked on different subjects and varied topics. She would ask my opinion about certain issues. I am not sure what is it that you want to know.

Ron: How was her relation with David?

Vivian: They were good friends. She always visited him at his office. She would go fishing with him on Sundays after coming from church.

Ron: Did she always go to church with you?

Vivian: She used to go with Sasha, meet Father Gabriel and exchange books with him. They seem to share the same interest.

Ron: Did you introduce Neil to Veronica?

Vivian: It is a matter of public knowledge that they both attended the same college.

Ron: Did Veronica ever seem disinterested in marriage?

Vivian: No.

Ron: Did she talk about her work at Greens?

Vivian: No.

Ron: Did she ever talk about Industrial waste?

To this, Vivian was silent.

Angel: Is there something that you want to tell us?

Vivian: This happened three months ago. She asked me about the chemical waste of factory.

Angel: What is it that she asked you?

Vivian: How is it managed and by whom?

Angel: What did you tell her?

Vivian: I have no idea why she was asking me. She looked troubled. When I asked her about it, she just avoided my question. When I suggested that I will ask David and let her know, she clearly hesitated and asked me not to do it. I had to agree.

Ron: Did you mention this to David?

Vivian: I did. He was surprised and then asked me if I know the reason behind her question. When he understood that I am clueless, he did not pay any heed to that matter. The whole ordeal seemed strange to me.

Angel: you trusted her?

Vivian: Yes

Angel: That's all. You can leave.

Vivian nodded and was about to leave when he looked at Maria and enquired about his father. She left with him to complete the formalities and let him out.

Angel: Daniel, please explain what were you doing at Latte's with Vivian and Neil when they were fighting?

Daniel: That was a get together.

Angel: What?

Vicky: We all knew this incident back then. But we thought it was just a struggle for the girl.

Ron: A very silly fight. Not to mention that it was over a taken.

Daniel: I, Neil and Vivian were friends at school. After a long time, Neil was back from a tour. So, we met at Latte's.

Ron: When was this?

Daniel: Three months before Veronica's death. Two days after Neil's arrival in town.

Angel: Neil has a lot of explanation to do.

Angel got up and left her cabin. She met Vivian outside.

Angel: Is he alright?

Vivian: Yeah. He is in the car. I was signing the paperwork.

Angel: Okay. See you later

Angel was about to turn and leave when...

Vivian: Angel

Angel: Yes

Vivian: Daniel called me two days ago to tell me that he found you again.

Angel was surprised. She did not know what to say.

Vivian: big guy does not let his feelings come out. Please don't be hard with him.

Angel: Okay. Take care.

It is confirmed that Veronica loved this softie. She left.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angel was about to get on to the bike when Daniel came over.

Daniel: Angel, what is it that we are supposed to discuss with chief tomorrow?

Angel: I will follow the order in which we found out things. Start with the reports and share Grisham, Mike, David, Sasha and Vivian's recordings. I want to keep AJ in the loop from now on.

Daniel: I update him all the time. Don't worry about that.

Angel: Let's meet tomorrow then.

Daniel: Okay.

Angel: Wait...any information about Neil's whereabouts?

Daniel: No, my friend found the place empty. I talked to his father already. He has no idea. I will have to go search him by myself.

Angel: Yeah. Let's talk to Chief and decide.

Daniel: Okay.

Saying this, Angel left the department and made way to her home passing Junkies and Veronica's home.

*******************************************************************

Angel woke up to the sound of a knock. She went into the bathroom and washed her face. She went to her front door and peeped through the hole. Daniel was standing there.

She opened the door and Daniel smiled.

Daniel: hi

Angel: hi

Daniel: I am sorry to disturb you.

Angel: that's okay. I would have woke up anytime now.

Daniel: Yeah.

Daniel moved his legs and looked here and there. Angel understood that she was standing there staring at him without inviting him.

Angel: Come in.

Daniel: Thanks.

Angel: Is there a reason that you showed up this early?

Daniel: Yes. I had a doubt which I don't want to discuss there.

Angel: Go on

Daniel: Father Gabriel.

Angel: What about him?

Daniel: He is the one who helped Veronica to get contacts around here which was unnecessary. If there is a newbie in the town, it would take a two day tour around the town to know the people and place in and out.

Angel: Are you saying that he was a catalyst in her plan?

Daniel: When you said, you guys had to plan for a year to set this up, did you mean her entry into Laketown or her stay at Laketown?

Angel: We only know that something was wrong in Laketown. At that time, it was only a speculation. She was supposed to find out if there is anything suspicious going around here. If any, she was supposed to find out who was involved. That is the reason, she could not share the reason of her arrival with anyone until and unless she is sure that they are not involved.

Daniel: According to what Vivian said, Dean must be helping Veronica.

Angel: I talked to Chief last night. He confirmed what you just said. I already told you that she was in the college to find out if Dean was an accomplice in a case. When he was clear of all charges, he understood that someone was tailing him. He confronted Chief and they talked. After some days, Chief approached Dean with this plan and he agreed. He was the one who proposed this engagement plan because it will help for a long term stay in the town. He also picked the person.

Daniel: Vivian was his favorite student.

Angel was staring at Danny and then suddenly laughed out loud.

Daniel was shocked at her behavior.

Daniel: what happened woman?

Angel: I was wondering what if Dean proposed your name.

Daniel: I would be suspicious sooner or later. It is one thing hearing about her from another person and a completely different thing to stay with a person and know them.

Angel: May be. But sometimes you ignore knowingly. Would you like to have coffee?

Daniel: Sure.

She got up and walked into the kitchen. Daniel followed her. She arranged the kettle on the stove and started preparing it.

Daniel: So, I was thinking that Father Gabriel was helping her stay at Laketown.

Angel: you just said that was unnecessary.

Daniel: What do you think?

Angel: That she must have a knowledge of everyone in the town and already planned her stay. Father was just a pawn again.

Daniel: okay. If that is the case, are you saying her visit to church was a means for employment?

Angel: Initially, yes

Daniel: were you aware of this?

Angel: Yes, I was updated by Chief.

Daniel: Do you want to visit the church?

Angel: I want to go on Sunday.

Daniel: To investigate?

Angel: many things.

Daniel: okay.

She poured coffee into two mugs and gave them to Daniel. They had it silently. She served some cookies to him.

Daniel: Did you get these from Junkies?

Angel: Yes. Trista gave it to me.

Daniel: get ready. Let's leave together.

Angel: okay.

Daniel made himself comfortable on the couch. Angel took a bath and took all the papers and they left together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Vicky's house

Vicky: Hello Ron

Ron (on call): Yes

Vicky: Can you get some flour on your way?

Ron: Sure. Anything else?

Vicky: Yeah. Your brain!

Ron: hey!

She hanged up and went into the kitchen. It was clear that Veronica's murder has stirred up things. They came to know about a scam. It was the first murder case in her duty. Chief from Pheole is directly leading the investigation. Angel has somehow dug out the information that Veronica was gathering. She did not have to know-how. Neil has entered into the suspect list again. But this time the noose is tight. Daniel is unsuccessful in finding Neil till now. Maria is careful with the Forensic evidence in the fear of tampering it again.

The sound of tires screeching pulled her attention. Ron came barging in. He stashed the flour packet on the kitchen island and stole her coffee and switched on the TV and sat on the couch.

She had to roll her eyes at his behavior.

Vicky: I will make some cookies tonight. I need your help.

Ron: Yeah. I will eat them. Don't worry!

Vicky: I will kill you if you do that. They are for mom and Ted.

Ron: Dad can have the next batch. I am going to eat it tonight.

Vicky: Keep saying that and I will feed you mud.

Ron: Gross!!!

Vicky: What is gross in that!! Is something wrong with your head?

Ron: Yeah. I brought my brain today on your request. And I was trying to picture you feeding mud to me.

Vicky: Shut up. I will get the reports and let's leave.

Ron was laughing hard at her reaction. He finished the coffee, placed the cup in the sink, came out of the house and started the engine. Vicky came with two folders and sat behind him. They left for the department.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, the complete details of the case will be shared with Chief. 

Read the next update for more details ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Obsession By Amy_theHybrid

Mystery / Thriller

3.6K 306 59
Five years after the untimely murder of his mother, seventeen-year-old Gabriel Hastings lives in a town called Shaw with his father. They have recove...
578K 14.5K 41
(I WROTE THIS AT 14 YEARS OLD, IT'S BEEN TWO YEARS SO DON'T ATTACK ME Y'ALL FOR HOW BAD IT IS IDEK WHY IT HAS READS BUT LMFAO) "Because Heaven," he s...
233K 7.3K 19
{Completed} Rose and Christopher were once the perfect couple. Rose was helping Christopher overcome his demons and together they seemed to be...
14.2K 1.8K 45
Growing up with a nickname like Misery can seem like the worst thing to happen to a girl. That is, until you find out that your father is a serial ki...