Life in the Smash Village

By TulipWriting

As the fourth Smash Tournament is underway, old and new faces alike are thrown into fighting arenas to determ... More

Moving In
Introductions
Making Friends
Training
Let's Fight!
On this Night
Attitude is Everything
Tourneys and a Table for Two, Please
What a Weekend!
In Preparation
Opening Ceremony (Part One)
Opening Ceremony (Part Two)
Juggling
Red.
Sudden
I Know You

CHALLENGER APPROACHING !!

135 7 0
By TulipWriting

Gasps.

Unbelievable.

Dead silence.

Blond hair was unmistakably, perfectly combed.

"CHALLENGER LUCAS, THE BOY FROM NOWHERE!"

And then the noise.

Screams and hollers erupted all around the dumbfounded Ness. His jaw dropped to the ground as he stared at his best friend hop off a weird Paddle monster. Then his face morphed into a giant smile and he sprinted to Lucas, arms wide open. The blond in front of him smiled as well, his laughter as bubbly as Ness remembered.

"You're here! I can't believe it!" Ness shouted, wrapping his arms right around Lucas, swinging him up and around a bit in sheer happiness. The audience cheered and whooped in joy, glad that the all time favorite tag team in Brawl was reunited.

"I couldn't believe it either! But I'm so happy!" Lucas exclaimed, tears of joy running down his face. "We have to fight, though..." The realization made him trail off as Ness put him down.

"Oh! Don't worry about that! Pretend it's like warm-up--"

"ARE YOU, NESS, READY TO ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGER?!" The Announcer's voice boomed. Ness, flinching from the volume, nodded, and the two were quickly transported to Final Destination.

Marth, who was still in the audience, was dumbstruck at the display. His mouth was wide open, eyes in shock. Master Hand had made no hint to challengers, never mind the fact that Lucas came back!

He turned expectedly at where Peach stood, frozen as well. Her hand was on the rail to guide her down and away from the Arena, but she, too, was surprised by what just happened. The audience around them was still hyped up, and the excitement was too much for Marth. He left before the Final Destination battle began, taking Peach with him.

"Wait! You don't want to watch?!" She shouted over the noise, letting him guide her by the hand.

"Ness had the red glow before, Peach," Marth finally spoke when they were farther from the hustle and bustle, "and now he's fighting Lucas."

"Annnd?" Peach raised an eyebrow.

"So did I!" He said, nearly frantic.

"So, who do you think you'll fight?" Peach asked, putting the puzzle pieces together.

"I-I...don't know?" Peach noticed a strange paling in Marth's face as he said those words. "Robin's companions?"

"Peach! Over here!" The two turned and saw a man pointing a camera at the duo, flashing them with photo after photo. Marth scoffed -- paparazzi wasn't anything new to them, just a warped portrayal of what was really happening.

"Ugh I can see it already -- Lord Marth's secret love affair with Princess Peach." The blonde rolled her eyes, letting out a small laugh at the thought.

"Let's just go before someone thinks we're getting married."

Before they stepped out of the arena, they heard the audience go crazy again, followed by the Announcers voice over the intercom.

"LUCAS, THE BOY FROM NOWHERE, HAS JOINED THE BATTLE!"

•-•-•

Today's Fights:
Olimar vs Captain Falcon
Luigi vs Mr. Game & Watch
Lucina vs Pit

Palutena sat, legs crossed, on the couch in Pit's and Dark Pit's house. She watched the lighter of the two pace around the room until she flicked her staff, hitting him on the head.

"Ow! What was that for, Lady Palutena?" He pouted, stopping in his tracks to rub the afflicted area.

"So you can calm down," she simply said, "now, why is it so terrible that you're fighting Lucina?"

"Because she's basically as strong as Marth, and she's my friend, but I don't want to lose!"

"Then don't lose."

"But I don't want to lose her as a friend!"

"You won't, Pit," she assured, getting up from the couch to place hands on his shoulders, leaving her staff to levitate in the air, "I mean, sure, she might be upset if you win, but she won't avoid you forever!"

"Let's hope not," Pit sighed, "she's a really good fighter."

Palutena winked, but before she could say anything else, Dark Pit came barging in through the front door, muttering curse words under his breath.

"Manners, Pittoo!" She exclaimed, and the doppelgänger clicked his tongue in annoyance.

"This is where I am staying, so don't lecture me on manners."

"Pittoo!" Pit's face contorted in anger. "Don't talk to her like that!"

"Whatever. By the way, Olimar beat Captain Falcon." Dark Pit said before making his way upstairs. Pit looked to Palutena with wide eyes, worry taking over his voice.

"Why does my match have to be in the evening?!" He nearly screamed.

"Pit! Get a hold of yourself! You know what to do, and I believe in you," she started walking to the door, stopping and turning her head as she touched the doorknob, "I know you'll give it your best."

She left without another word, leaving Pit to plop onto the couch, whining to himself.

Dark Pit came down the steps after a few minutes and noticed his twin's distress.

"What's your deal?" He asked offhandedly, walking into the small kitchen where he grabbed a bag of chips.

"It's Lucina," he responded with a sigh, "I'm supposed to be fighting her but I don't want her to dislike me after it."

The dark winged angel sat on the couch adjacent to Pit's, tossing a chip in his mouth.

"This is a tournament, Pit-stain, you can't expect to not fight your friends."

"Easy for you to say," Pit reached over and snatched the bag, taking a few chips before giving it back, "you don't have many friends."

"I don't need friends -- that's not why I accepted the invitation," he paused and looked into his bag before squinting at Pit, "and don't take my snacks again."

Pit stood up, stretched for a moment, and nodded at Dark Pit before walking to the door.

"You're going to watch me fight, right?" He asked, still walking.

"If I'm not busy with anything more interesting, why not."

"Cool! Then I'll see you there!" Pit grinned and raced out of the house.

Idiot.

•-•-•

The day had begun breezy and cold, and by the evening, a nice chill weather overtook the surface. Many of the trees already lost the majority of their leaves, and Link could almost feel the holiday spirit. He walked into the Mess Hall and removed his blue Hero's Scarf, instantly feeling warmed by the fresh food.

"Link! Come!" He turned towards the voice, seeing Marth sitting at their usual table with Palutena and, oddly enough, Peach.

Link sat across from the Hero-King, next to Palutena, who smiled at him. He greeted the group and draped his scarf on his chair.

"Before anything else," Peach said, placing her hand on top of Link's and locking her eyes to his, "I'm sorry to hear about you and Ike. You guys truly were the pinnacle of romance."

"You told them?!" Link snatched his hand away and glared at Marth, who immediately raised his hands in defense.

"No! How did you find that out, Peach?"

"Ike, of course! My mistake, I thought you were as public about it as he." She shrugged her shoulders and shook her head slowly, a look of innocence on her face. As Link groaned and ran his hands over his face, Peach looked at Palutena, who was rendered speechless, and winked. The green haired goddess blushed, realizing that Link was single.

Maybe not ready to mingle, but definitely single. And we don't have to mingle, that's okay, we can just...be single buddies? Her internal monologue was interrupted by the Hylian getting up from the table.

"I'm getting food," he muttered. When he turned his back and started walking away, Marth slapped Peach's arm gently.

"Why would you bring that up?!" He said through gritted teeth.

The pink princess didn't respond, simply huffed and looked away. She picked up her fork and knife and cut away at her chicken. Marth let out a sigh of annoyance before speaking again.

"You're here to help me prove that there are more newcomers -- I don't even think he's noticed that Lucas is two spots behind him in line."

"I'm sure Peach meant no harm in what she said, Marth," Palutena pointed out, and the blue-haired hero sighed. He knew fully well to not be angry.

"Let's just stick to the plan and show him the newcomers, okay?"

Peach and Marth nodded, watching as Link
made his way back to his seat, the disgruntled face he had when he left nowhere to be seen.

"Have you guys welcomed Lucas back? I saw him when I finished grabbing my food." Link mused, swirling as many noodles as he could on his fork. "He looks taller, too!"

Marth's face deadpanned, staring straight at the Hylian. Palutena let a laugh escape her lips, Peach soon following suit.

"Yes, Lucas is here," Marth began, elbows on the table with his hands clasped together, "but do you know what that means?"

"That Ness is going to be annoying as hell again?"

"Link," he breathed, "do you remember the little red outline we had before? The one Zelda snapped about?" The Hylian nodded in response.

"Well, Ness also had one, and he fought Lucas last night!" Peach chimed in, a matter of fact tone in her voice.

"Wait, so that means we have to fight a challenger too?" Link asked.

"And here I thought we were going to need a huge presentation." Marth finished, standing up and motioning for Peach to follow. "Let's go tell the others that had them."

Peach groaned and followed the Hero-King, leaving Link and Palutena alone at the table, where they both sat in awkward silence. He smiled at her, and she grinned back, unsure of what to do without a plate to eat from.

"Hey, do you have any plans for the weekend?" He spoke, almost unsure.

"Oh, no not really," Palutena replied, "I usually just find someone to tag along with, usually Peach."

"I was going to ask if you were interested in hanging out, maybe?"

This was it. My chance to get closer to Link! After days of scheming to walk with him to breakfast, giving him almost flirtatious glances, and even practicing in a match, she finally got the opportunity.

"Yes! I mean, yeah! Sounds fun!" She failed to hide her excitement. She felt her face redden as he laughed at her outburst.

"Glad you're enthusiastic," he couldn't wipe the grin off his face. He noticed Ike watching them -- no, him -- from the other side of the Mess Hall. Trying to shake off the uneasy feeling, he stood up and looked down to Palutena.

"Wanna go watch Pit's match?" Link offered his arm gentlemanly as he picked up his scarf in the other hand, and the Goddess of Light blushed and nodded, taking his arm.

"I can't believe I almost forgot about it!" She realized as they walked out the place, Link feeling a stare stabbing his back.

Today's Winners:
Olimar
Luigi
Lucina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7K 855 50
Future Em here: read this if you want buuut you could go check out my warriors series instead <333 A stereotypical damsel in distress A bounty hunter...
2.6K 70 15
This is a fanfiction on Zelda and Ike from the Wii game, Super Smash Bros: Brawl! I shipped them ever since my friend played Ike and I played as Zeld...
32.6K 264 24
3, 2, 1, Go! C'mon in super smash bros lovers! I have super smash bros oneshots just for you to enjoy! X readers included! Ranked #2 in ssbu since Ja...
23.7K 682 34
I wrote this in grade school when I was a small baka child(And also before I changed my username)! That's why it sucks, continue, Smash University is...