The Showstopper

By BabeLoRegui

Lauren Jauregui always had a life long dream of making it to Broadway and to do that, audition to attend NYU... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
New Story
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 (Part 1)
Chapter 23 (Part 2)
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 (Part 1)
Chapter 28 (Part 2)
Chapter 29 (Part 2)
Chapter 30
Chapter 31 (Final)

Chapter 29 (Part 1)

3.8K 105 28
By BabeLoRegui

Lauren's POV

"Yes, it's true. You're looking at one of the 12 young women who have been accepted to the Juilliard Dance Division," Normani beamed, walking over to the lunch table and waving her acceptance letter.

"Yes!! I'm so proud of you, Manibear. Oh my God!" I pulled her into a tight hug.

"Yay, Mani!" Justin came over too. Dinah and Ally were with Camila at her table.

Normani told me yesterday that she'd been accepted into her dream school and not to mention the number one best school for dance in the country.

"Thanks, Lo and Just," she hugged. "I cried for at least two hours straight yesterday." That's what Camila and I did when we found out we were accepted into NYU. We cried together for hours.

"That's amazing," I sighed in delightful relief. "So, now you, Ally, Camila, Dinah, and I are all officially going to be in New York together." Ally and Dinah got into the Ailey School, part of Fordham University which was one of their dream schools as well. It was the second best dance school in the country so that was an amazing achievement. I was so proud of all my best friends.

"Yep and I can go to New York in May with you guys for apartment hunting," she said.

"That's right," I smiled as we sat down. "Man, this is gonna be so much fun. All five of us living in NYC like how we've always dreamt of. And we're all gonna be in America's top performing arts schools. That's incredible," I said, biting into a chip.

"I'm soooo excited," she started to eat her lunch. "So, what were you guys talking about?" she asked, joining in on the conversation Brad, Ariana, Justin, the other guys and I were already having.

"Just about hell week," I answered.

"Oh, this is the week, right?" Normani asked excitedly. It was Monday and the start of hell week for Les Mis which was opening on Friday.

"Yep and Diggins is making us rehearse for an extra hour," I sighed.

"Well, that's show biz," she shrugged.

"I guess. I love it though," I smiled.

"Yeah and I have a cast party to prepare for," Justin claimed.

"Oh, you're doing it, J?" I asked.

"Yeah, but don't worry, it's not going to be crazy. It's gonna be like Luke and Jai's," he high-fived them.

"Oh, good. Should be fun then," I nodded.

"Snapping your girl?" Normani asked quietly, looking down at my phone that was in my lap.

"Maybe," I smirked.

"Ooh, so, what'd you two talk about at the party on Saturday? You kinda told me through text but I wanna hear it," she wanted to know.

"Well, we talked about a lot of things. She actually wanted to get back together but I turned her down surprisingly."

"Yeah, why did you do that?" she furrowed her eyebrows.

"Because I'm not ready. I'm still going through the help and therapy. Until I feel like I'm ready and at least mostly recovered, then we'll get back together."

"Damn, never thought you'd do that, Jauregui," Normani eyed me.

"Me neither but this is good. We're being mature about this," I said.

"True. I'm proud of you and all the progress you've made already," she rested her head on my shoulder.

"Thanks, nugget. Love you," I kissed the top of her head.

"So, what are you and Camila doing now?" she asked.

"We're just being friends and she went back to using Dinah's phone so we could snapchat and text," I answered.

"Did you talk in homeroom this morning?"

"We did and I talked about therapy and what I do in there. I explained that I mostly talk about her, my addiction and Keana."

"What have you said about Keana?" her eyes widened.

"Our past and her influence on me," I shrugged.

"You really told Mila about that?"

"Well, yeah. We're friends now and I tell my friends everything."

"Friends," she chuckled. "It's weird yet funny to think of you two as that."

"It's weird to think of us as ex-girlfriends. But we'll soon be back together where we belong," I grinned.

"Thank God," she sighed. "I love you guys," she winked.

"Me too," I agreed, softly smiling.

"When you guys get back together, you should go on a vacation," Ariana chimed in.

"That'd be fun. A nice get away to catch up on things...and the you know," Normani wiggled her eyebrows.

I snorted, "Oh my God you guys. Well, I still want to take her to New York with us in May." Instead of going to New York with just my family, Normani, Ally, and Dinah were going with us to look at apartments we could live in for next year. I already planned on inviting Camila first before the whole Valentine's day incident but maybe she could still go.

"Do you think you'll be ready by then?" she asked.

"Maybe. I don't know, it's kind of unpredictable with these things, you know?" I answered.

"Yeah, you take your time, Lolo," my best friend patted my back.

"Thanks and even if I'm not ready, I'd still take her."

"But what about her parents? You're still banned from talking to her and they would never let her go anywhere let alone New York with you...again."

"Oh yeah," I slumped. I forgot about Camila's parents still being the way they were.

Camila's home life still hasn't been very pleasant. She told me that her parents didn't get her anything for her birthday. Her extended family, friends obviously, and sister did but not her own parents. Not even an at home celebration or decorations. That was so upsetting to hear I mean, she was their daughter and they didn't even acknowledge her birthday very much. I just felt so terrible for her. She had to go home every day scolding and not talking to her mom and dad. I couldn't imagine how hard that must've been and it's been like that for almost a month. Camila didn't even tell anyone else about her birthday except for me because she felt too sad and embarrassed. Now, I got to thinking.

"Hey, what'd you get Camila for her birthday?" I asked Normani.

"The girls teamed up and we got her a Kate Spade purse."

"Oh okay," I nodded.

"Why?"

"I think I'm gonna throw her a party."

"Throw Camila a birthday party?" she raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah. She didn't have a good birthday and I have yet to get her something so maybe I could throw her the 18th birthday party she deserves. Aaaaand invite her to New York as her gift that I've been trying to give her since Valentine's day. I know she can't go with me but maybe if she said that Dinah, you, and Ally were just going, then maybe she would be allowed."

"Are you sure that would work?" Normani squinted unconfidently.

"I don't know," I sighed. "And I know she won't be allowed to live with us in New York but she should still come with us on the trip to just have fun and see the shows. We're the fab five and we're not the same without her," I frowned.

"Aww, you're cute looking out for your girl," she cupped my cheek.

"You know what? I'll just take the chance. I'll throw her the party and invite her. It's worth a shot," I shrugged. "Hey, Just?" I called over at him.

"Yeah?"

"Can we throw a birthday celebration for Camila during the cast party?" I asked him.

"Yeah, sure that'd be fun," he agreed.

____________________

Camila's POV

Things have been going a lot better lately this week. Lauren and I have decided to be friends and talk again. It was kind of weird not being in a relationship with her but being friends was a whole lot better than not speaking whatsoever. I missed her so much and can finally feel my heart mend.

She explained to me what she's been up to and what her therapy's been like. It was very interesting and to hear the stuff about Keana and her. She told me basically everything on Monday and genuinely, I was shocked. But I was incredibly happy to hear that they talked it out and are getting through it. It actually made me regret thinking and saying all that mean stuff about her ex. I was very ignorant but now I know Keana really didn't do anything and had only been looking out for Lauren all this time. It was heartwarming to me. She was definitely respectable.

Earlier this week, Dinah was so sweet into letting me borrow her iPad. She said I could use it for as long as I want since she doesn't use it that much. I even thought about purchasing my own iPad or iPod without my parents knowing. Maybe I'll do that soon. In the meantime, I was just laying in bed, texting and snapping the green eyed girl. I always loved when you text and snapchat someone at the same time but have two completely different conversations on both apps. That was how Lauren and I usually rolled.

Lolo 💚🌙: I'm actually very very nervous. I was good up until pretty much the last hour of rehearsal.

Camz ❤️☀️: Haha I could tell. You looked so cute though ☺️

Lolo 💚🌙: Stahhhp

Hey, I couldn't help but flirt. She was too damn adorable.

Camz ❤️☀️: But yeah I'm going to be shaking out of my bones tomorrow no doubt.

Lauren and I were texting about the show that was opening tomorrow. It was our first and only musical at South Miami and we were sort of freaking out. But in a good way.

Lolo 💚🌙: I think tomorrow I might be excited but then like the nerves will definitely hit me while we're getting ready and stuff.

"Flaca?" I heard my dad knock on my door.

"Just a minute!" I yelled back.

Camz ❤️☀️: Brb parents

I quickly texted Lauren and tucked the iPad underneath the bed.

"Come in," I said to him.

"Hi, I brought you some tea," he walked in with a cup of tea.

"Oh, wow, thank you," I breathed in surprise. This was actually something nice. I took a sip of it and put it on my night stand.

"I figured you could use it for tomorrow. The big opening night," he said, sitting down on the edge of my bed.

"Yeah, I could. And a lot tomorrow too."

"I...I know you have been using an iPad," he said. "To talk to Lauren."

"W-what? No," I quickly panicked. Shit, how did he find out?

"No no no, it's okay," he hushed.

"What do you mean?" What was he up to?

"Look, Karla, I know your mother and I have been very up tight with you but as for me, I hate it," he explained. What??? "Seeing you so sad every day...it breaks my heart."

"Well, my heart was broken...by you guys," I said softly.

"I know and I'm so sorry," he sighed, looking down. Whoa. Did he actually mean that? He's never looked at me that way before.

"Really?" I whispered.

"Really, I am. I don't know about your mother but I can't stand seeing you so miserable. You've been miserable every day for almost a month and I miss you. I miss you so very much and miss you being your old happy self, singing and laughing around the house, playing with Sofi, and just being a ray of sunshine to us. I'm so sorry for not doing anything sooner but you know your mother is a very strong woman. I hated witnessing everything and I really regret for not stepping in. You may need some time, but I really hope you can forgive me and that we can move past this."

"Wow, um..."

"Just take some time," he continued. "You will always be my Flaca and I will always love you."

"...I love you too," I said quietly. "And I still may need some time to think this over but I really appreciate your apology, Papa," I gave a soft smile. "Thank you."

"Always," he stayed quiet for a minute. "Do you really like Lauren?"

I looked up and searched for the right words. "I love her," was all I could say.

He nodded. "I'm also sorry for acting like that about, you know, who you are." That really caught my attention. "You know, your mother and I come from very religious backgrounds and we never believed that two people of the same sex could fall in love and that would be okay. We were so strict on our beliefs and what the Lord said about those who were like that."

"But the Lord also loved those who were like that. He loved and died for them just like everyone else. God knows that people are different but did he make them with less worth? I don't think so; he made them in his own image and likeness. We are his children too and I believe that he would not like his followers hating them. We're just being who we are and that shouldn't be a crime.

You know, I'm so sick of being treated and watching others be treated like how you and mom treated and talked about Lauren and I...and others like us. Like we're not worth justice, freedom, happiness and fairness. Lauren always said, 'When your religious freedom of expression jeopardizes or inhibits other people from leading happy lives, you're doing it wrong.' Lauren and I were living so happily," I started tearing up. "We were and still are so in love with each other, Papa. She makes me the happiest person when I'm with her and I never thought I'd meet someone like that. She's the best thing that's happened to me and when I was taken away that right to love her, I was wrecked and that clearly tore me apart.

I kept my coming out for so long because to be honest, I felt so unsafe here in my own home. I was scared to death what you guys would do if you found out and when you guys actually did what I thought...not the worst of what I thought...but when you banned me from seeing her, no wonder I despised you. I honestly felt deprived and hated because you took away the love of my life. Lauren's everything to me and she truly shows unconditional love. If I could just tell you all the things she's done for me and how much adoration she has, I hope it would impress and make you happy. Happy that your daughter has found someone that would 'give up her sword' for her. It really has nothing to do with man and woman. I've found someone who loves and can care for me just as much and probably better than any other man could. And I would do the same thing for her because that's what this is all about. We're equals and the LGBT+ community is trying to spread equality, pride, and love to everyone because everyone deserves that. We want to be proud of who we are and not discriminated against. No one should be treated less or greater than. I think we're all beautiful and I'm sure God thinks the same."

"Wow, I never thought of it that way," he sighed, taking it all in.

"I'm not asking for your support, but all I want from the parents who I love...is respect. I want to be able to love who I love in peace without hate. That's all."

He just nodded, still looking down. "You're right. We acted cruel and towards our own daughter. Mija, I'm so sorry you felt that way. We love you to no end and really, from the bottom of my heart, I apologize for making you feel hated. We thought this was just a thing that would blow over and...I don't know wasn't real. We just didn't know what to think. It was all very confusing."

"Well, it's who I am. I've been like this my whole life. And I've just been protecting myself and my girlfriend. It's real. This is real love and I hope that I opened your mind at least a little bit."

"You have and...I may have to talk to your mother some more, but I still want to get over this. I want you to be happy again and if Lauren makes you happy......you should be with her."

"Really?" My eyes widened. Oh my God!!

"Yes. I feel like I can come to support you. You've really opened me up and I can see how genuine you are and your love for your girlfriend in this past month that you've been fighting. I would like to get to know Lauren on a deeper level as well and see your relationship if you'd let me. Love is a beautiful thing and seeing you in it, would make me incredibly happy as well."

"You don't know how much that means to me, Papa. It's all I've ever wanted. Hearing someone's parents say that honestly turns their world around. I would really like that and for you to meet Lauren not only as my best friend but as someone who I love. She's honestly so amazing."

"If she can make you that happy just by talking about her, then she must be truly special," he smiled.

"So special. Te amo, Papa," I got up and hugged him. I hugged him for the first time in almost a month and whole heartedly.

"Te amo, Flaca. So incredibly much," he hugged back. "I'll speak with your mom some more. But you can go ahead and talk to Lauren. On your phone and in person."

"Seriously? But what about Mama?"

"Again, I'll talk to her. I'm saying that you can do it and I'll let Austin know too," he said.

"Thank you so much. I love you," I gave him a big smile.

"Love you too. Not too late, got a big day tomorrow," he grinned and made his way out the door. "Can't wait for it."

Wow. That actually happened. I've been waiting for my parents or at least one of them to finally talk to me about this. All month, they've been giving me the cold shoulder and refusing to speak. Honestly, I thought it would be like this until I moved out but I think things are finally going to come around. My dad was getting there and going to be supportive, but now my mom just needed to be. I always thought my dad didn't really want to do this. He was pretty quiet and my mom did most of the punishing. She was a great influence. It was going to take more convincing for her but it may happen.

I immediately got out my phone to unblock Lauren from all my apps. I even FaceTimed her.

Camila: "Oh my God, Lauren, guess what just happened?"

Lauren: "Camz? What are you doing on FaceTime?"

Camila: "Lo, my dad and I finally talked!"

Lauren: "Really?! What'd you say?"

Camila: "Well, he basically apologized for like everything. And then I lectured him about our rights and how happy you make me. He said he was sorry for treating me so badly and he was going to talk to my mom some more."

Lauren: "Whoa. That's awesome, I'm so happy for you!" She genuinely beamed.

Camila: "Thanks! Me too oh my gosh I'm soooo happy. We can finally talk now online since I unblocked you and in person."

Lauren: "In person too?"

Camila: "Yes!"

Lauren: "Oh God yes! I missed talking to you."

Camila: "Me too, babe. I mean, Lauren," I let out an embarrassed laugh. "Sorry, force of habit."

Lauren: "It's fine," she laughed too. That's a relief.

Camila: "Alright, well, It's almost 11 and we have a huge day tomorrow so, I'll let you go." I sipped some more of my tea.

Lauren: "Okay, I'll talk to you tomorrow," she grinned. "Goodnight, Camzi."

Camila: "Night, Lolo," I waved, smiling. I love you, I thought. And with that, we ended the FaceTime.

A/N: Kind of short but next part is way longer. 

Twitter & Tumblr: BabeLoRegui

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.1K 1.8K 57
For years, I've dreamt of what college life could bring and while some things changed, there was always one constant. It didn't matter how wild I a...
5.7K 166 19
20 year old Camila Cabello is a working dog sitter with a dream to make it big on Broadway. It has been her dream since she was little. It was also S...
1.4M 24.5K 59
Lauren Jauregui and Camila Cabello audition for The X Factor on the same day- by mere coincidence? Possibly. By fate? Who knows? Each girl has a drea...
319K 8.8K 31
Lauren Jauregui is the school bully. She's hot, popular, rich. She has everything going for her, or so it seems. Camila Cabello is the school queer...