Learning to Love My Other Hal...

By Tristan-Walker

Not everything is as it seems. Meet Sam. He's your average, everyday jock. He likes to make crude jokes and b... More

1 - A Friend In Need
2 - A Moonlit Run
3 - A Meeting Unforeseen
4 - Rogues
5 - Morning Fun
6 - Table For Two
7 - An Evening Escapade
8 - Paternal Enlightenment
9 - The Funeral
10 - Luca
11 - An Obvious Choice
12 - "Closer, Faster" By Midnight
13 - A fearful Revelation
14 - Unexpected Visitors
15 - Andréas' Confession
16 - Saving Justin
17 - Like Father Like Son
Author's Note: 17.5 - A Magical Night
18 - Just What We Needed
Author's Note
19 - Three's A Crowd
20 - A Past Best Forgotten
22 - The Calm Before the Storm
23 - The Beginning of the End
24 - Battle for the Earth
25 - Battle for the Earth: Part 2

21 - Dinner With A Side Of Fear

1K 48 8
By Tristan-Walker

A/N 

*peeks out* Please don't kill me D: !!!!!!!! I'm really sorry for not updating sooner. It's just been crazy for me the last while!!! Camp, then family trips, then other crap, and then and then and then ... *ducks bricks that come flying at head* HEY! O_o But seriously, I'm sorry. And I know that this is short, but I had to update. I've been suffering from writer's block too! Also I'm sorry, but I may be updating less often now since school has started up again! So, I'll be going back to updating on weekends. *ducks another brick* O_o ... Okay, okay, here's the chapter! Sheesh! 

                                   «»  

JUSTIN

"Justin, will you be staying for dinner?" Liz asked as we left the foyer and entered a space that served as half sitting room and half kitchen.

I opened my mouth to answer but before I could a voice spoke up to my right.

"Yes, he is," Avery said, smirking at me.

I rolled my eyes playfully at him, "I would love to, but I have to get home by five to meet my -"

I was cut off by my phone ringing in my pocket.

" - boyfriend," I finished, looking at the display, "Speak of the devil."

Avery chuckled and I excused myself to answer the call.

"Hey Sammy."

"Hey love."

"What's going on? I thought you were still practicing," I questioned.

"I am; I took a break to call you. I'm really sorry, but I'm not going to make it home for five. Coach has some special training for us because the home coming game is getting closer," he explained apologetically.

"It's okay," I assured him, "What time will you be getting home?"

"Probably around nine thirty."

"Alright, I'll see you then."

"I love you," he said.

I smiled, "I love you too."

I heard a click from his end and he was gone. I ended the call and slid my phone back into my pocket, re-entering the kitchen.

"Looks like I can stay after all," I said, finding Liz with her head buried in the freezer.

"Yay!" she exclaimed, her voice a little muffled, "How do cheese burgers sound?"

"That would be wonderful Mrs. McIntyre," I said.

The woman finally withdrew her head from among the frozen vegetables and gave me a stern look.

At first I was confused, but when my mistake dawned on me, I hastily remedied it.

"Sorry, that would be wonderful, Liz," I amended.

She chuckled and winked at me as she washed her hands.

"Can I help with dinner at all?" I asked politely.

"Oh, no thank you dear. That's very kind, but you're the guest."

"I don't mind," I assured her, "Honestly. I actually really like to cook."

"Well if you really want to and don't mind," she left her sentence hanging looking for a response.

"Not in the slightest," I said.

"Okay, well Billy is out running some errands, so if you would like, you could fire up the barbecue and start the burgers."

"I'll get right on it," I smiled, picking up the patties and heading toward the back door.

"Thank you Justin. You know you don't have to right?"

"I do," I said, then stepped out onto the back porch.

I started the barbecue and laid the burgers out on the grill, listening to the satisfying sound of the meat sizzling.

I looked around and was happy to see that they kept different kinds of seasonings in a little compartment beside the gas.

I pulled out a few and sprinkled them over the meat the way my mother had taught me. Soon, the smell of cooking burgers drifted in the evening air.

I heard the back door slide open and then shut again, but I didn't look away from the patty I was trying to flip.

"Oh my god!" I heard Avery's voice, "That smells absolutely amazing!"

I blushed at his comment, "Thank you."

I set down my tools and laid a slice of cheese on top of each one, then turned to face him.

"How did you learn to cook?" I asked, leaning against the house with his hands in his pockets.

"My mom taught me," I replied.

"Well she did a good job. I can tell, and I haven't tasted it yet," he complimented, bringing another blush to my face.

"It's just something I like to do," I explained, "And thank you."

He smiled.

"Actually could you do me a favour?" I requested.

"Of course."

"Would you please go and get a plate so we can carry these inside? They're just about done."

Nodding, he pushed himself off the wall and sauntered inside to collect the required item.

I started moving the burgers into one spot and when he returned, I transferred them to the plate.

At dinner the main topic was my cooking. The McIntyres all loved the burgers and kept exclaiming over how delicious they were.

I was a little embarrassed, but proud as well. It felt like a small tribute to my mom, even if it was just cheese burgers.

When dinner was finished I tried to help clean up, but Liz caught me and shooed me out of the kitchen, smiling and telling me I had done enough already.

I admitted defeat and crossed the room to where Avery was sitting with his dad and sister.

The former looked at me and patted the seat beside him, beckoning me over. I sat and curled against his side, surprising him somewhat, but not in an unpleasant way. I was content with the knowledge that my actions were a comfortable, friendly gesture, rather than an intimate one.

I surveyed the scene. Billy had just been showing Carly some of the pictures he had taken on his last trip for work.

"What do you do, Billy?" I asked as he put his camera away.

"I'm a wildlife photographer," he replied, "I travel all around the world and take pictures of different animals and plants to help scientists further their research. I also document when and where I found the specimen, and, where I can, what it is."

"Sounds amazing," I said wistfully, "What kind of material do you cover?"

"Lots of different categories; new, endangered, unusual, rare," he explained, "Would you like to see some pictures?"

My eyes lit up, "Yes please, this sounds so interesting."

Billy chuckled at my enthusiasm and stood. He connected his camera to the TV and sat down in front of it.

"Alright," he turned the screen on and a picture slowly faded into view.

"What is that?" I asked, looking at the little creature. It was one of the strangest things I'd ever seen.

Its body was smooth and looked moist with the sun glinting off its back. It had four small legs and a long tail.

The strangest part, however, was its head. Two salmon coloured protrusions were sticking out of creature's skull, one on each side. They looked like stunted feathers due to the growths they each had on both sides. It looked like hair.

"That is a mudpuppy," Billy said, advancing the picture to a close up of the strange feather like stalks.

"The odd protrusions on its head are actually external gills."

Realization struck me as I remembered a biology lesson.

"So that's what external gills are. I learned about the organs that different species use to breath in biology. I hadn't seen a picture of these before though."

Billy nodded, "When these animals swim, the water passes over them and they draw the oxygen out."

He switched the picture again. This time we were looking at one of the world's strangest animals. In my opinion anyway.

"It's a platypus!"

Billy chuckled, "That it is. Did you know that a male platypus has a poisonous spike in its leg to use for protection?" he asked, again changing the picture to one of the creature's leg.

"Really?"

He nodded, "The bigger the male, the more dangerous it is. Not due to the size, but because a bigger platypus can deliver more poison."

We went through more pictures of amazing species, some I'd never heard of. There were bioluminescent jellyfish and squid, strange hybrid animals like a liger and, to my surprise, a mule. Liz joined us as we looked at brightly coloured frogs. They were called poison dart frogs and they came in many different colours, from rich blue to bright red. It was all truly astounding.

Sam texted me saying that he was finished as Billy was putting his equipment away. He asked if I wanted to be picked up and I texted back a 'yes please' and the address.

Putting my phone away, I yawned and sat up, rubbing my eyes in an attempt to rid myself of the tired feeling that had fallen over me.

I looked around at the conversing family members and smiled.

"Sam's on his way now," I informed them, "Thank you for having me, and dinner and everything else."

Liz waved me off, "It was our pleasure, sweetheart. Come back anytime."

We all stood and I was surprised to receive a hug from each person, but I hugged back and said goodbye as Avery saw me out.

He stopped me at the door and pulled me into a tight embrace.

When he let go, I looked at him quizzically, but he simply rearranged his features into a smile and patted me on the back.

"I'll see you tomorrow in school buddy," he said.

I smiled and hugged him again.

"Thank you for everything."

We parted and I walked out to Sam's car.

When I slid into the warm interior,
I smiled as my boyfriend leaned in to kiss me.

"Hey, how was practice?"

"A right hell," he responded as he backed out of the driveway.

I laughed and we drove the rest of the way in a comfortable silence.

However, this feeling of serene calm was fleeting, as we found out upon pulling up in front of Sam's - or, rather, our house.

Two words were spray painted onto the garage door in angry, red letters; 'I Know!'

                                   «»  

A/N 

Okay, so! What did you think? Was it good enough to satisfy your need for LTLMOH? XD 

Me: OMG OMG OMG 

Sam: ffffudge!! You again? 

Me: Of course!

Justin: Just don't pay him any attention Sam

Me: -_- ignoring people is soooo not cool

Sam: Please! 

Me: *sticks out tongue and runs away*

Don't forget to

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN

*flies away on a rainbow* 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

394 37 9
Lucas has had a shitty life being a human in a world overtaken by werewolves. Having to see his parents die just when he was 10 and having to run awa...
293K 8.4K 19
Syris was born an omega with nothing to his name. Not only is he poor but his family beats him whenever they want treating him like their personal sl...
M-13 By JL

General Fiction

184K 10.8K 35
People with powers exist, believe it or not. And it isn't some magic thing that gave us powers; it's a genetic malfunction that cursed us to a life o...
24.1K 725 17
In a world where demons and other supernatural roam the earth, Finding love can be difficult for some. But luckily, werewolves have soulmate's. That...