Love Her Softly

By conleyswifey

The last thing Liam Mcyntire expected to find in his barn one cold February morning, was a half-starved , fro... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Ten

63.3K 3.3K 290
By conleyswifey

Chapter Ten

Emma stepped out of the mercantile with a basket full of supplies for Ms. Anita. It was yet another cold, February day, but the sky was a clear, crisp blue overhead.

Emma was too busy staring up at that sky to pay much attention to where she was going. Because of that, she ran into something hard and dropped her basket, sending the contents scattering.

"Hell, Emma, I'm sorry," Liam's voice had tremors running down her back.

His big, yet gentle hands, closed around her upper arms to steady her. "Are you okay?" he asked. "I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and ran you over."

Emma finally looked up, seeing those deep, brown eyes she'd been dreaming of for over a week. "I wasn't payin' attention either. We ran into each other."

A smile lit up Liam's face, highlighting his chiseled cheekbones. "Let me get all this up for you."

Emma watched as Liam gathered up the basket and items that had fallen. She couldn't help but appreciate the way Liam's lithe body moved. He reminded her of the elusive big cats on the mountain.

Liam hooked the basket over his arm. "Were you on your way back to Anita's?"

Emma could only nod. She wished she knew why he was here. Had it been chance or had Liam come to see her?

He held out his free arm and Emma hesitantly looped her arm through the crook of it. "How have you been?" Liam asked as they stared down the road arm in arm. Emma could feel eyes watching them from every direction.

"Good," Emma replied, unable to deny the peace, warmth and safety she felt being so close to Liam. He made her feel as if nothing in the world could ever harm her.

"I've been learnin' to read and write," she told him proudly.

"That's real good," Liam replied with a genuine smile. "Has town gotten better since your bad first day?"

"Yes." Emma laughed lightly. "Thankfully. Those boys came to Anita's with flowers for me, Sally and Lauren and they apologized."

"Good. They needed to apologize. Is that something you like?"

Emma frowned. "Apologies?"

A chuckle rumbled from Liam's chest. "No. Flowers."

Emma chewed at her lip. "I'd never been given flowers before. They were small, hardy winter weeds, but, yes. I liked them." Emma laid her free hand on Liam's forearm. "A funny thing happened the day they apologized."

Emma wondered why his throat bobbed when he glanced down at her hand. He stretched his neck to the side. "What happened?"

"One of the boys, William, asked Lauren to the dance this weekend."

"Did she say yes?"

Emma laughed lightly. "Yes. I still can't quite believe it."

Emma felt Liam stiffen lightly and she glanced at his face to see him frowning as he stared straight ahead. "Has anyone asked you to the dance?" he questioned tightly.

Emma nearly laughed out loud. "No, of course not! No one wants to go with the scrawny mountain girl who doesn't talk much..... Besides, I don't think I'd trust them...."

"There's not a thing wrong with you, Emma," Liam stated firmly. "Don't put yourself down."

Emma chewed at her lip once again. Why had Liam asked about the dance... Did he wish to take her?

"I've never been to a dance," she admitted quietly.

They stepped onto Anita's porch and Emma watched Liam shove a hand through his hair, causing it to fall across his brow. "I just wanted to come check in on you, Emma. You look good...." Color rose on Liam's cheek. "Well rested, I mean."

Emma was confused by him. Did Liam feel what she felt when they were together? She did not want to be a charity. She didn't want him seeing her as merely someone who needed his help—his pity.

"Liam, I appreciate all ya have done fer me, I really do... But I don't need ya to take care fo me.. I don't want ya to waste charity on me."

Liam held up his hand and Emma fell silent. "What are you talking about? Charity?"

Emma shifted her feet and pulled the basket from his arm. "Ya don't have do do anythin' else fer me."

Liam stared hard at her a moment. His expression was one of hurt. "Well, alright then."

Liam began to turn away but the door opened and Anita stepped out. "Liam, I thought I heard your voice. I need your help."

Liam heaved a sigh. "What do you need?"

"Did I interrupt something?" Anita asked, looking back and forth between them.

Emma gently shook her head as she fought back tears of both frustration and confusion.

"What do you need, Aunt Anita?" Liam asked again.

Anita frowned but motioned them inside. "I can't reach my spice tin. I could just climb on the counter but..."

"Don't be foolish," Liam scolded gently. "You'd fall and break something."

Anita swatted his arm softly. "Don't be clever."

The trio entered the kitchen but Emma wished she could be anywhere else. To be so close to Liam but feel as if he were so far away was a pain she'd never experienced before—and Emma knew a thing or two about pain.

Anita pointed to her tin sitting atop a cabinet. Without much trouble, Liam snatched it down and laid it in his Aunt's waiting hands.

"Thank you, Liam."

"It was nothing," Liam shrugged. Then lips curled in a sneer. "Apparently I do too much charity."

Lauren laughed as she entered the kitchen. "No, you don't. You're nice enough but I wouldn't call you charitable. An anti-social recluse is more like it."

Emma swallowed hard as Anita's eyes bored holes into her before widening. "Is that what I walked out on?" Anita demanded. "Emma you need to stop being mean to Liam!"

Emma's jaw dropped. Liam stepped forward. "No, take it easy on her....."

Anita put her spice tin on the table and her hands went to her ample hips. "Are you still upset over what that heifer said at the dressmakers? I wish you'd stop worrying over that!"

Emma felt tears burning behind her eyes and she fought them with everything she had. She only wanted to be worth something to someone. Emma wanted to be special to at least one person in the world. She'd never in her life known how that felt.

"I..." Emma wrung her hands and wished she could disappear as Liam's studied her intently.

Recognition finally dawned in his brown eyes and his jaw hardened. "Emma, will you come for a walk with me?"

Emma couldn't read his expression or his tone. "Are ya angry?" she whispered.

Liam grumbled. "You know I don't like that question." He shifted his feet as he gazed down at her. "Are you afraid of me?"

"Of course not," Emma replied, knowing it was the truth.

"Then come for a walk with me."

Emma nodded. She couldn't explain it but knew that wherever Liam was, she wanted to be.

"Have fun, Emma," Anita called out mischievously.

Emma flushed bright red and followed Liam out the door. They walked in silence until they reached a bench behind the telegraph office at the edge of town.

Liam leaned back, his long legs stretched out and his buckskin shirt pulling tight over his lean stomach and broad chest. Emma's breath caught. He sure was something to look at.

"Emma, I'm a private man. I don't open up and I don't let people in too close...." Liam began tightly. "I'm sorry if I've confused you since you've been here, but, honestly, I'm pretty confused myself. I was perfectly content with my life and the way things were... until you came along."

Emma wasn't sure if that was good or bad—his tone made it impossible to tell.

"I want to make sure you know that you mean more to me than charity, Emma. A good deal more..."

Liam grumbled under his breath and shoved his hand through his hair once more. "Damn, lady, I'm not good with feelings and words. Like I said before, I'm a simple man. I wish I could say things better...."

Emma couldn't seem to speak. It was as if she'd forgotten how. Liam plucked at his shirt sleeve. "Aren't you going to say anything?" he pleaded.

Emma was shaking, her throat felt dry and her stomach fluttered. She spoke before she had time to realize she was going to and once the words left her mouth, Emma realized she'd been spending far too much time with Lauren and the girl's impulsive nature was rubbing off.

"Take me to the dance."

y"{\#

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130 1 1
Historical Romance From the moment she laid eyes on him, Rue thought Hawke Masters the most insufferable man she'd ever met. Proud, arrogant, overbea...
773 38 10
Madison My best friend and neighbor, Piper, is trying to arrange a blind date for me. I agree because she doesn't take no as an answer. But why won't...
75.4K 3.4K 65
Aaron Christopher, the man who lives in the word lavish itself. He has everything anyone could wish for money, power, gorgeous woman, everything! But...
173K 3.4K 15
Note: This is one of my earliest books and definitely not my best. There are a bunch of grammar mistakes and plot holes and such so read at your own...