I Love A Sunburnt Country ~ G...

By TheSoundOfSilence

More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Chapter 4

297 11 0
By TheSoundOfSilence

**Jemma's POV**

I wake up the next morning in a soft, warm bed without any clear idea of how I got here. As I stretch and begin to wake up, I vaguely remember Fred leading me upstairs, climbing through a hole in a wall, then stumbling up some stairs by myself, getting into my pajamas and... That's it. I look around at the other girls. The dark-skinned girl is lying in the bed next to me and on the other side of her is a pretty girl with shoulder length dark brown hair. There are two other girls, but their heads are hidden by their quilts. I look out the window. It's not sunrise yet.

I leap out of bed and silently dress into jeans and a hooded jumper. Carrying my shoes, I slip out of the door and down to the common room. I pull my shoes on and push the door open. When I close it I realise I didn't go crazy! The door is covered by a large portrait of a fat lady in a pink dress.

I stop and look around. There's a staircase leading up on my left and two that lead down on my right and in front of me. I guess that the best way to get outside would be to head down, so I chose the stair in front of me.

I keep heading down and - miraculously- end up in the entrance hall. I push the heavy oak doors open and breath in the clear, fresh air. I look out over the grounds and see a hut at the edge of the huge forest. I vaguely remember Dumbledore saying something about the forest... It can't be important! I notice someone outside the hut and begin walking down there, watching him curiously. Once I get close enough I realise it's the huge man from last night.

"Hello," I say. He jumps slightly and looks around.

"Oh, 'ello," his face crinkles into a friendly smile.

"I'm Jemma," I say, trying not to feel shy.

"Hagrid," he says, "what're you doin' up so early? Most o' the student don't get up until seven, at least."

"I'm an early riser," I shrug, "back home I lived on a farm. I was up with the animals at all hours of the day and night."

"Like animals do yeh?" Hagrid smiles again, "I'm the Care o' Magical Creatures teacher."

"Oh, I can't wait!" I tell him earnestly, "we didn't have this class back home. We only learnt to care for sheep, horses, cows, that sort of thing."

"What year you in?"

"Sixth."

"Ah," a twinkle appears in his eye, "we'll be lookin' at something spectacular today."

"Really?" I ask, leaning forward, "what?"

"Jus' you wait 'n' see," Hagrid chuckles, "you'd best be off. Need to be in uniform, yeh do."

"Alright, nice meeting you, Hagrid!" I call, running back up to the castle. By the time I reach the steps I'm out of breath, so I stop and sit down, watching the sun rise over the tops of the mountains. When my breathing has slowed -and the sun is up- I begin trying to find my way back to the Gryffindor dormitories.

It takes me about ten minutes to realise I'm lost. What gave it away? I went up three floors and ended up in the dungeons.

"Are you meant to be here?" Draco asks, coming out from around a corner.

"I'm lost," I tell him honestly. He smiles. Not a sneer, an actual smile. It makes him look a lot younger.

"You don't know where the Gryffindor dormitories are, do you?" I ask him.

"No, sorry," he says with a shake of his head. I shrug.

"Thanks anyway," I say, turning away.

"I think they're on the seventh floor, though," he calls. I turn back.

"Uh, thanks, but that doesn't really help," I tell him.

"I can show you the area," he says, "come on."

We walk up through the castle in silence. Draco looks quite content, though.

"This looks familar," I say, noticing the staircase leading to the fat lady.

"Oh," Draco's face falls, "well, alright."

"Thanks," I tell him sincerely. He smiles at me.

"No problem," he replies, "oh, by the way, I don't know if anyone's told you, but the staircases move."

I watch him walk away, feeling almost disbelieving.

"That makes sense, actually," I admit to no one in particular.

I run up the stairs to the portrait and try to pull it open. It doesn't budge.

"You need the password, silly!" the fat lady says.

"Password?" I ask, "what password?"

"It's grindylows," Hermione says, appearing behind me. The portrait swings open.

"Uh, thanks," I say, climbing through. A few little groups of people are milling around the common room.

"I'm impressed," Hermione says as we head towards the dorms.

"With what?"

"You found your way back," she says, "it took me weeks."

"Oh, I had help," I confess.

"Oh... Well, see you later!" she says, turning into her dorm. I continue up the staircase to my dorm. I push the door open and hear a chorus of squeals.

"Sorry!" I exclaim, covering my mouth. A few of the girls laugh, dropping shirts and pillows from their chests.

"We thought you might be one of the first year," the dark-skinned girl says, "they're always getting lost."

I hurry across to my trunk and pull out my uniform.

"I'm Angelina, by the way," the girl says.

"I'm Jemma," I say. That phrase is getting worn out.

"This is Alicia, Colleen and Jessica," Angelina says. I smile at the other girls and quickly change, trying not to feel embarrassed. Angelina notices this and laughs.

"You've never boarded before, have you?"

"No," I admit.

"You'll get used to it," she says, "coming?"

"Sure," I say, grabbing my bag and slinging it over my shoulder.

"We didn't really get to talk last night," Angelina says, "what Quidditch positions do you play?"

"Chaser or keeper," I say, "you?"

"Chaser," she says, "Alicia too. Colleen and Jessica don't play."

"Seriously?" I gasp before I can stop myself.

"My parents are muggles," Colleen says, "and Jess' mum is one. We weren't brought up magically."

"Sorry," I say sheepishly. They shrug it off.

As we enter the common room I see Fred and George. George is sitting on the back of the couch and Fred is leaning against the wall.

"Excuse me," I say softly to Angelina, moving towards them. Fred pushes himself off from the wall and grins at me.

"Morning," he says. George throws Fred's bag to him and jumps off the couch.

"Breakfast anyone?" he asks, grinning at me.

"I'm starving," I reply, "let's go."

It's much easier navigating the castle with Fred and George's short cuts. We reach the great hall in a matter of minutes and are having tea and toast before we knew it.

"Timetables! Here you go, Miss Smith."

"Thanks Professor," I say, taking my timetable and looking at it.

"Let's see," George says, "we have nearly all the same classes!"

"What's different?" I ask.

"You do muggle studies."

"So we have Transfiguration then Charms," I say to myself, "then after lunch we have Care of Magical Creatures and Potions."

"And then we're free!" George says. I roll my eyes at him and grab my bag.

"Are you going to help me find my way or what?" I ask them. The each grab a stack of toast and sling their bags over their shoulders.

"Let's go."

Continue Reading