Hypervigilance {Stiles Stilin...

By bilesallenski

Hypervigilance: an enhanced state of sensory sensitivity accompanied by an exaggerated intensity of behaviors... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 10

2.2K 79 2
By bilesallenski

"Where's Lydia?" Kira asks. "She took it her freshman year." Stiles answers. "Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia questions. "Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." Scott states.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good." Malia states. "Well." Stiles corrects. "Well what?" Malia asks. "It's do well, not good." Stiles explains. "Oh God!" Malia groans. "You'll be fine." I assure. "You're doing this, because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live. If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college." Scott says.

"It's only three hours. We can survive three hours." Kira states. "You say that now until you get your head cut off in the middle of question 26." I reply. "Way to be optimistic babe." Stiles says. "Would you expect anything else from me?" I ask walking into the room.

We all have to give fingerprints and turn in our phones. "Goodbye old friend." I say to my phone. I drop it in the envelope and head to my seat. "Are you ready?" Stiles asks. "All that I'm sure about when it comes to taking this test is that I won't run out of pencils. Did you really need that many?" I question.

"Yes." Stiles replies opening his test. "Please do not open your test booklet until you're instructed to do so." The proctor announces. Stiles closes his booklet back up. "This test is two hours. There will be two 25 minute math sections and an essay writing portion that will last 30 minutes. There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam." The proctor states.

"I know. It's Coach. He's not exactly punctual. Um, let me just try him again." Ms. Martin says. She's gone for all of four minutes and comes back alone. "I can't find him, but Mr. Yukimura is upstairs grading papers. Do you want me to try him?" Ms. Martin asks.

"We have to start. We can ask for his assistance during the first break. You may now open your test booklets and begin." The proctor states. We open our tests up and it's like I'm reading another language. I can cipher through most, but for some I just guess.

I hear a pencil drop on a desk causing me to look at Stiles. Last time I saw him, the pencil was still in his mouth. He must have gotten to a particularly hard question. A small thud comes from the ground. "Sydney! Are you alright?" Ms. Martin asks.

"I'm okay. I just got kind of dizzy." Sydney answers. "Sydney, how long have you had this?" Ms. Martin questions. I look over and see a rash on her wrist. "Ms. Martin, do I need to stop the test?" The proctor asks. "No, um it's fine. Everybody stay in your seats. Nobody leaves the room." Ms. Martin instructs.

Stiles and I eye each other suspiciously and then go back to our tests. "Get back! No! Do not come in here! Get back outside!" Ms. Martin yells. All of us go out into the hall to check everything out. "Back to your seats. Now." Ms. Martin says.

We return to our seas, but I listen in on her conversation. "I need the number of the CDC. Yes, the Center for Disease Control." Ms. Martin says. Scott and I both look at each other with wide eyes. Soon many people in bio hazard suits come in and set up.

Scott goes to check up on Sydney, while Malia, Kira, Stiles and I sit on the desks. "Bet they're thinking Smallpox." Stiles states. "Stiles, Smallpox died out when disco did." I reply. "She's right. Smallpox was eradicated worldwide in 1979. We've only managed to completely eradicate two viruses in history. The other was Rinderpest. It killed cows." The proctor elaborates.

"So we should be comforted by that right?" Stiles questions. "Unless it's something worse." He replies. "Whatever it is, they're taking it pretty seriously. They're a lot of cars and trucks out there. Your dad's with them." Malia states.

"Hey, I should probably call him." Stiles says getting his phone. "Don't bother. They would have shut off any acess to all outside communication by now. No cell service, no wifi. No one starting panic. Looks like we're all just going to have to wait here and see what happens." The proctor interrupts.

"That's comforting." I mutter rubbing my temples. "You okay?" Kira asks. "Yeah, just a bit of a headache, that's all." I assure. They all look at me like I'm crazy. "What? It's not like you've never had a headache before." I state.

"I haven't." Kira says. "Lia, you're not supposed to be able to get those anymore." Stiles states. A really loud siren almost burst my eardrums and I clutch my ears trying to drown out the sound. I caught something with my super hearing, but I didn't even try to. "Are you sure you're okay?" Malia asks.

Stiles puts his hand to my forehead. "You're burning up." Stiles states. "You should take her somewhere." Kira says. Stiles guides me to the locker room. "Maybe we can bring your temperature down with a shower." Stiles states.

"Are you saying you want to shower with me Stilinski?" I joke. "Not this time. When you're better I'm totally up for that." Stiles replies. We open the door and I hear labored breathing, it has a slight growl to it.

"Scott, you in here?" I question. "Yeah." Scott answers appearing in front of us. His eyes keep flashing from brown to red. "That's not good." Stiles mutters. Kira, her father, and Malia come in here. "It's still happening." Mr. Yukimura confirms.

"I can't make them go back." Malia states holding out her claws. "Obviously the virus is affecting the three of you in a way it won't hit any human being." Mr. Yukimura. "You guys need to stay out of sight. We need to quarantine you from the quarantine." Stiles states.

"Yeah but where? I mean, what if they get violent? Like on a full moon." Kira interjects. "We shouldn't stay in here. Not in the locker room." Scott says. "A classroom is not going to hold us." Malia agrees. "What about the basement?" Stiles asks.

"Too many ways out. We need something secure. Somewhere nobody can find us." I state. "The vault. The Hale vault." Stiles suggests. "The Hales always have an escape route. Like their house. There has to be another way in." Scott says.

We pull out a blueprint of the school. "This is where the school signs is, so the vault's got to be right about there." Stiles states. "I suppose if there's a second entrance, it would probably be accessible from the basement." Mr. Yukimura suggests.

"It's probably somewhere in this hallway. West corridor." Stiles says. Stiles then almost falls down, I manage to hold him up in time. "It's happening to you too. You're getting sick. You all are." Mr. Yukimura states.

"I don't feel sick." Kira argues. "I think it's affecting you differently, neurologically. I found your test answers here in a pile with the others." Mr. Yukimura says. All of the answers are outside of the bubbles.

I feel a painful shift in my spine. I cry out in pain as hold myself over the desk for support. "What the hell was that?" Scott asks. "I heard cracking. I don't like cracking. Why is there cracking?" Stiles questions. "That was the all too familiar pain of my bones slowly reforming to those of a wolf." I answer.

Stiles' eyes are as wide as saucers. "You're changing? Right here? Right now?" Stiles questions. "It's not gonna happen right now. This is like my first full moon, the full shift is gonna take hours." I state wincing as it progresses further.

"We need to find this vault, now." Scott says. We look in the basement. "Hey guys, over here." Stiles states. Scott moves the shelf back. "Look at the cracks in the wall. It's like the entrance outside, it only opens with claws." Scott says.

"Anyone's claws right?" Stiles asks. Scott shakes his head now, but Stiles gives him a look. "Um, Malia, can you try?" I question. "Why me?" Malia asks. "We don't have control." Scott explains. "Okay. I'll do it. But first tell me what you've been hiding from me." Malia demands.

We all freeze up, even me who is barely standing. "I know you think you're trying to protect me, but I can handle it. I know I'm on the list." Malia states. We all let out a breath of relief. "Yes." Stiles replies. "So how much?" Malia asks.

"How much what?" I question. "How much am I worth?" Malia clarifies. "Four million. Are you okay?" Stiles asks. "Yeah. Lia's worth 27, Scott's worth 25, Kira six. They'll take you guys out way before me." Malia answers. "That's progress. That's progress." Stiles comments.

Malia opens the vault and we make our way in. More of my spine curves and I collapse onto the ground, barely holding myself up. I let out a scream of pain that startles the rest of them. "This is what happens when you turn?" Scott asks in disbelief.

"They don't call it a curse for nothing." I reply laying down against the cool ground. Scott and Kira sat next to each other, Malia was on the other side of the room trying to rest. My head is cradled in Stiles' lap. No matter how painful this is, I can't cry in front of Stiles. I have to be strong for him.

"You know, this is where it all started. That's where the money was." Stiles states stroking his hand through my hair. "How do you even change bearer bonds into money?" Kira questions. "Bank I guess. They just let it sit here the whole time collecting dust. You know bearer bonds are basically extinct?" Stiles questions.

"Why does it matter?" Scott asks. "You know how many problems that money could solve?" Stiles replies. "For you?" Kira asks. "Me, my dad. The Eichen House and MRI bills are crushing him." Stiles answers.

"Mom does this thing, she writes down all the items in our budget, and how much they cost, then she adds them all up and figures out how long we have until we lose the house." Scott says.

The conversation dies down, all we can hear is the small whimpers from Malia and the moans of pain from me. At this point, black blood has formed at my mouth. My breathing has shallowed. "Stiles, I'm dying." I state.

"What makes you think you're dying?" Stiles asks. "I'm not stupid. Black blood is a really bad sign. I'm tired and that is a worse sign. This virus is kicking vampire immortality in the ass. My guess is we all have maybe two hours if we're lucky." I say.

I see Malia shivering in the corner. "Give her you jacket." I state. Stiles nods and puts it over her shoulders. Scott and Stiles go by the door to talk alone. I would follow, but getting up is a challenge for me.

I think I passed out for a few minutes back Stiles is shaking me awake. "I gotta leave for a few okay?" Stiles says. "Where are you going?" I ask. "Whatever's happening, it's worse for you guys. That means it's not just people getting sick, it's another assassin." Stiles answers.

"You're coming back right?" I question. "Yeah, I'd never leave you behind." Stiles assures with a smile. I grab onto his hand. "I want to be with you when it happens." I plead. "Don't talk like that. I'll figure this out." Stiles states kissing my forehead.

He lets go of my hand and then walks to the door. I finally let the tears fall, not having to appear fine anymore. I thought he left, but when I look up Stiles is just staring at me, a pained look in his eyes. After one final glance, he is actually gone.

I try to focus my hearing enough to see what is taking Stiles so long. "I think I saw them in the library. Or it might have been the cafeteria. It was definitely one of those two." I hear Stiles say. "I'm going to count to three, then I'm going to kill you." A man threatens.

I use everything I've got to push myself off the ground. I ignore Scott's yells of protest. I channel all ounces of strength into speeding to Stiles in time. My body is screaming at me to stop. I find Stiles in Coach's office, a gun held against his head.

"One, two-" He starts the countdown. Stiles' eyes are squeezed shut. I wrap my hands around his neck and snap it. "Three." I announce. I get very lightheaded and pass out.

A/N: So, Lia broke their deal and killed the chemist. Let's just pretend that Scott's dad left, because after the next episode he literally doesn't come back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 463 16
ยซThe More You Believe To See, The Easier It Is For Me To Fool Youยป *** Brianna Voyant has been through a lot in her life. From the death of her whole...
1.2K 52 14
Beacon Hills. A seemingly quiet town of nice people in a nice area. Y'know, besides the dead bodies that pop up all over the place and an endless lis...
31.3K 664 26
(Completed) "I wanted you to turn around!" It's been months and it's now the beginning of Junior year Everyone thinks that everything is back to no...
685 40 9
Zoe and Dexter Klein never knew what it was like to be loved by any family. They grew up with a mom who abandoned them at eight and an abusive dad. T...