Balloon Troubles

By curiousmelissa

two people forced to work together 24/7 all because of a smashed van and a bunch of lost balloons. nothing en... More

SUMMARY

1. SO SCREWED

42 5 0
By curiousmelissa

Chapter 1- So Screwed

I had never experienced so much stress in my life.

Planning a 80th birthday party for my grandma wasn't really on my agenda for summer but the job was forced upon me by my mum. Apparently, it was a 'preparing me for the responsibilities I will have once I go to university' kinda job. I did have three whole months till those responsibilities had to kick in but it's not my mum cared.

I crossed the large front garden where the delivery men with the bouncy castle were still standing, even though I had told them to move it ten minutes prior. I did not have time for their shit especially since I was so busy. 

"Shift it more to the left!" I shouted at them, which caused them to move quickly to the left and dump the non inflated material there. I breathed out in relief that one job was done, and I pushed my hair back from my face.

Having been awake since six am that day, saying I was shattered would be the understatement of the year. My limbs, back, feet and head ached and I haven't even had the time to sit down and breathe

The summer day was passing through quickly with delivery vans coming in, catering companies bringing food and deck chairs, tables, and ice sculptures brought into the Hamilton household. My throat was dry from shouting and I snapped at a waiter to bring me some water. When he came back, I apologised for my rude behaviour as I felt guilty- it's not his fault I was cranky and tired. 

I sipped on the bottle of sparkling water and spit it out when I notice what is , wiping my mouth. Sparkling water was one thing I hated with a passion, I couldn't even get it down my throat.

"Yasmin, you enjoying this?" My little sister, Rachel, smirked as she leaned against the arched wall gate that lead into the gardens. Wearing a floral jumpsuit paired with nude kitten heels and hair curled into small waves, she looked like a model while I looked like crap. Oily, sweaty face and dressed in a old crop top and some shredded shorts.

"Oh, you're so lucky it isn't your turn this year! When I leave for university, this is your job not mine!" Our mother made an agreement with me that if I did it this year before university, my little sister would have to do it every other year until she went to university herself.

I smiled wickedly at the blonde who stormed away after glaring at me darkly, pushing past people in her way. Typical Rachel: ungrateful, bitchy and rude. At sixteen years old, the girl was a class A bitch. The genes got fucked up, all of our family except my father and her are nice and caring.

I chuckled at her childish behaviour, walking round to the front of the Georgian detached house that belonged to our family. 

It was such a beautiful one, with ivy laced into the dark burgundy bricks which cascaded down into the flower beds below. The building had a large oak front door and the whole estate was surrounded by an iron gate that started from the entrance that when opened, lead you up the driveway and to the house. Contrasting with the soft blue sky, it looked like it had been snatched out of a movie from the seventeen hundreds.

However, the gorgeous olden day look and feel stopped there. Many cars were parked round the house and our cars in the garage, a swing set from our childhood stood proudly in the front garden and there were too many people moving about for it to be a century ago.

Walking over to a table where I had left my checklist, I took a look at what else I had to do before my grandma arrived.

CheckList!

Food √

Ice sculpture √

Tables √

Chairs √

Cake √

Entertainment √

Music √

Guest list √

Waiters √

Balloons 

"Shit!" I groaned, rolling my eyes as the balloons were still not here.

Frustrated at myself for forgetting, I told the other guy in charge to sign for anything that comes in for the party. I looked up to the house for no apparent reason and caught Rachel at the window, making out with her boyfriend. Catching my eye, she smirked practically challenging me as to say "jealous much?".  Rachel whispered something in his ear and he closed the curtains firmly.

I laughed her off, walking towards any random car or van in the driveway, the granite gravel crunching beneath my feet. I breathed in the vague smell of fresh salt water and smile. The perks of living in the area of the warm sea during summer.

Reaching the van door, I opened it and jumped a little to get on the seat, the hot leather from the sun burning my exposed skin. But I didn't have time to complain: guests were coming soon and I still had not got the balloons that my mother specifically told me to have.

Starting to reverse out of the driveway, I looked in the rear mirror to check for any stray humans willing to face the wrath of me. I turned back to the front of the house just before my phone blared out 'Work' By Rihanna and Drake in my pocket. I didn't even bother switching off the engine, just pulling the device out of my pocket and slid along the screen.

"Hello? What do you mean, the beer isn't there!? Jesus Damon, I swear to God..." I groaned into my hands, and smoothed out the wrinkles forming on my forehead. I was going to age because of this event. 

Jumping out of the van and slamming the door shut, I walked back to the house and adjusted the phone between my shoulder and ear so that I could fix my hair back into a neater ponytail. Walking up the back to the house, I wondered how Damon was so unreliable.

Suddenly, I hear a slam and a enormous smash which caused me to spin round, alarmed. Smoke filled the surrounding area and people in the area walked to the scene curiously. The phone dropped from its position and my jaw dropped.

The van I was previously was slumped against the iron gate, the whole thing totally destroyed. The number plate was hanging by one bolt for a few seconds then clattered to the ground, making me wince. The back window is shattered, glass everywhere. Slapping a hand over my mouth, I read the engravings on the side of the van; 'Oxford's Balloons!'

I practically stole and destroyed the balloon people's van.

That means I never put on the hand brake.

And the balloons were here the whole time.

The tires are punctured to flatness, and I looked closely again and see the rear door was crushed open. A few balloons were stuck between the gate and some were popped, the skin all over the grass and stuck to the gate.

Guessing where the rest were, I looked up into the baby blue sky. An array of colours adorned the sky, floating and spinning away into the unknown. There were about more than a thousand balloons in the sky and all I could think of is how fucked I was at that second.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?" A manly voice boomrd from behind me and I spun around in curiosity. When I realisewhos it is, my eyes widen in shock

And in actual fear.

_____________________________________________

a/n 

and first chapter is done!

woop- hope you guys liked this after heaving editing and like got a feel of Yasmin + her life

This is set in Ramsgate, United Kingdom aka Britain (if you didn't know) during Yasmin's last summer before University!

VOTE COMMENT SHARE!

-Melissa

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.8K 3.3K 12
If Shaira Angelina Vanedestine had synonyms on this day. It was a successful multi billionaire and downright rude. She had achieved everything in her...
23.1K 2.1K 21
🔞 نوسەر:جونگکووک کە مافیایە بەس کەس نازانێ ئەچێتە مەڵی مافیایێک و کچەکەی ئەبینێ و دواتر.... بزانن چیی بەسەر دێ ژانەر/ئاڵۆز ، ڕۆمانسی ، خەمناک ئەوجا...
1.3M 89.9K 58
A story of teenager Adonis, living with post traumatic stress disorder, as well as a world of other issues involving his family, his school, and his...
1M 90.8K 42
• INDIAN ARRANGE MARRIAGE • ˜"*°•.˜"*° •°*"˜.•°*"˜ "You're my peace within all the Chaos of my life" ...