Open Your Mind

Από Averagecrazychic

ATLA fanfic "You are the strangest girl I've ever met." He snapped angrily, rubbing his face with his hand... Περισσότερα

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty - Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
NOT MY BOOK!!!

Chapter Nine

11.5K 263 120
Από Averagecrazychic

"Let's go, Appa! Come on boy!" Aang pleaded, tugging on Appa's reins only for the large sky bison to roar in protest and Aang looked down sadly, "Look, I'm sorry but Katara, Sokka, and Xia aren't coming to the Fire Nation with us. If they got hurt, I'd never forgive myself."

"So get your big butt off the ground and let's go!" Aang shouted and yanked on the reins again only to fall backwards onto his own butt.

"I think his big butt is trying to tell ya something." Sokka drawled from his behind Appa, where Katara and an irritated looking Xiaodan were standing with some of the villagers.

"Please don't go Aang." Katara begged desperately, "The world can't afford to lose you to Fire Nation. Neither can I."

"Besides," Xiaodan cut in, crossing her arms over her chest and giving her brother a stern look, "I thought we had already talked about you running off and trying to do things by yourself."

Aang looked abashedly away from his sister's stern gaze, but an image of the comet appeared in his mind and he jumped to his feet, "But I have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what my vision means! I need to get to the Fire Temple before the sun sets on the solstice!"

He Airbended himself on to the top of Appa's large head, "That' s today!"

Xiaodan jumped onto Appa's head and snatched the reins from his hands, pushing his head down slightly to keep him from trying to grab the reins back from her, just as Sokka and Katara ran in front of Appa.

"We're not letting you go into the Fire Nation, Aang." Katara stated firmly and Aang gave her surprised look from under Xiaodan's hand.

"At least, not without your friends. We got your back." Sokka said with a grin as Momo perched on Aang's shoulder beside Xiaodan then Appa licked the Water Tribe boy, causing him to cringe, "EW!"

"It's a long journey to Crescent Island." The village leader said, stepping towards Xiaodan and Aang, handing the bundle he carried to Xiaodan, "You'll have to fly fast to have any chance of making it before sundown. Good luck."

Xiaodan released Aang's head so he could look at the village leader while Sokka and Katara crawled into the saddle.

"Thank you for your-"

"Go!" The village leader cut the boy off, pointing towards the ocean and Xiaodan snapped Appa's reins.

"Appa, yip-yip!" the white-haired girl shouted and with a rumbling growl Appa leaps into the air.

The village leader sighed quietly and pressed a finger to his temple as he left one of the intact buildings in his village only to gasp when he saw the scarred young man standing in front of him.

"Having trouble sleeping?" Zuko asked rhetorically and shoved the leader back into the house, knocking down the door then approached his fallen form, "Seen the Avatar lately?"

"Faster, Appa, faster!" Xiaodan urged the sky bison from her position on his head, snapping the reins gently to encourage Appa to fly faster, "We've got a long way to go, boy!"

Aang, Katara and Sokka watched the ocean below them fearfully, keeping an eye out for any Fire Nation ships. Xiaodan peered back at them then turned forward again and urged Appa to go a bit faster.

"Sailing into Fire Nation waters..." Iroh grumbled from behind his nephew, "Of all the foolish things you've done in your sixteen years, Prince Zuko, this is the most foolish!"

"I have no choice, Uncle."

"Have you completely forgotten that the Fire Lord banished you!?" Iroh demanded angrily before his tone turned fearful, "What if you are caught?"

"I'm chasing the Avatar!" Zuko snarled whirling away from the telescope to look at his uncle, "My father will understand why I am returning home!"

"You give him too much credit." Iroh observed, crossing his arms over his chest, "My brother is not the understanding type."

Zuko scowled slightly and turned back to the telescope, catching sight of the Avatar's sky bison in mid-flight, "There they are. Helmsman! Full steam ahead!"

Katara's eyes widened when she saw the familiar Fire Nation warship.

"Uh, Aang, Xia." She called back to the two Airbenders sitting atop Appa's head, "We've got trouble."

"Yeah!" Sokka squawked looking over his sister's shoulder in panic, "And it's gaining...Fast!"

Xiaodan quickly passed the reins to Aang and Airbended herself back into the saddle, quickly moving towards the very back where she could keep an eye on the small warship.

Zuko watched as the catapult was raised onto the deck and the nasty smelling oil was poured over the projectile, one of his men holding a sword in preparation to launch the steaming projectile on Zuko's orders.

"Ugh, really Prince Zuko, couldn't you shoot them down with something more fragrant?" Iroh complained, whipping his fan out of his robes' sleeve and waving it at his face.

Zuko ignored his uncle and lit the stinking ball with a fire blast, "On my mark!"

He waited a moment then slashed his hand down, "Fire!"

The soldier cut the rope and the flaming projectile was catapulted towards the sky bison.

(((LINE))

"Fireball!" Katara screamed, looking back at Aang.

"I'm on it!" Aang called back, steering Appa to the side to avoid the ball of fire.

"Spirits!" Xiaodan gagged, pinching her nose along with her three friends as the stench of the passing fireball assaulted their noses, "That is awful!"

"We have to get out of his range, before he shoots another hot stinker at us!" Katara shouted, covering her nose with her arm as she tried to block the smell.

"Can't you make Appa go any faster?" Sokka demanded and gagged at the smell.

"Yeah," Aang said then cringed slightly, "There's just one little problem..."

"Oh man..." Xiaodan mumbled, staring wide-eyed at what was in front of them.

Zuko's good eye became wide, "A blockade..."

"Technically you are still in Earth Kingdom waters." Iroh stated, wincing slightly when he noticed the two rows of Fire Nation ships began to ready their catapults, "Turn back now and they cannot arrest you!"

"If we fly north, we can go around the Fire Nation ships and avoid the blockade." Aang called back to the three sitting fearfully in the saddle, "It's the only way!"

"There's no time!" Katara protested, crawling to lean against the front of the saddle.

"This is exactly why didn't want you guys to come!" Aang snapped, looking over his shoulder at his friends, "It's too dangerous!"

"And that's exactly why we're here." Katara snapped back sternly/

"Let's run this blockade!" Sokka cheered boldly and he, Katara, and Xiaodan grinned at Aang confidently.

"Ha!" Xiaodan gave a bark of laughter and Airbended herself next to Aang on Appa's head, "I laugh in the face of danger!"

Aang's expression became determined and he turned to face the incoming blockade, "Appa, yip-yip!"

Appa roared and slapped his tail, picking up speed as he sailed through the air rapidly.

"He's not turning around!" Zuko exclaimed in surprise as he watched the sky bison soar even faster towards the blockade.

"Please, Prince Zuko!" Iroh begged his nephew, "If the Fire Nation captures you, there's nothing I can do! Do not follow the Avatar."

"I'm sorry, Uncle." Zuko said softly and bowed his head before turning to face his men, pointing to the blockade, "Run the blockade!"

"The Avatar..." Commander Zhao mused then lowered the telescope to the small warship, "And the banished prince. This must be my lucky day."

"Commander Zhao, what are your orders?" A soldier asked from behind the smirking commander.

"Shoot the bison down, captain."

"But there's a Fire Nation ship out there, sir!" the captain exclaimed in surprise, "One of our own! What if it's hit?"

"So be it." Zhao stated coolly and the captain backed up a step, "It belongs to a traitor."

"Ignite." Zhao ordered and the projectiles were lit on fire, "Launch!"

"AH!" Aang, Katara, Sokka, and Xiaodan screamed as the fireballs flew towards them, Appa swerving and weaving to avoid being hit, some of the fireballs exploding as they passed.

Xiaodan yelped as Appa flew directly through one of the fireball that exploded, Appa's fur darkening with soot.

"Fire!" The white-haired girl called out, leaning out of the saddle to slap out the embers that were on Appa's fur along with Katara, Sokka, and Momo.

"Appa, are you okay?" Aang questioned his animal guide worriedly and Appa roared in answer, Aang taking that as an affirmative so Aang pulled the reins and they soar higher into the sky.

The fireballs rain down around Zuko's ship, narrowly missing the vessel and sending sheets of ocean water crashing over the deck, the crew members running for safety to avoid being pulled into the churning ocean by the angry waves.

"Prince Zuko!" One of the engineers cried out to the prince after a fireball hit the aft side of the ship, "The engines are damaged! We need to stop and make repairs!"

Zuko spun away from the man and glared towards the blockade, ordering over his shoulder, "Do not stop this ship."

"Launch!" Zhao commands and the catapults launch their flaming missiles towards the bison flying high overhead.

The four teens scream as more fireballs burst from the clouds, heading straight toward them and Aang jerked Appa's reins to the left in an attempt to dodge the projectiles. Sokka, Katara, and Xiaodan clutch the sides of the saddle tightly and close their eyes against the smoke billowing around them.

Appa dodged as many of the fireballs as possible until two collide in front of him, the smoke stinging his eyes causing him roar and jerk back, accidently throwing Sokka from the saddle. Katara screamed and reached for her brother while Xiaodan lunged forward and attempted to snatch the young man's hand, missing by mere inches. Sokka screamed loudly as he fell through the clouds and plunged towards the ocean below, his arm still outstretched from his attempt to grab Xiaodan's hand.

"Sokka!" The white-haired girl yelled and snatched up her staff, snapping it open as she leapt from Appa's back and dove towards the screaming boy.

"Xia! Sokka!" Aang cried out desperately then jerked Appa's reins down so that the sky bison dove speedily towards the two teens.

Xiaodan dove steeply, using Airbending to propel herself faster until she flew right under Sokka's falling form, pulling up sharply when she was right underneath him, effectively catching him atop her glider. Sokka clutched the top of the glider tightly, still screaming as they ocean continued to get closer and closer.

"Hang on, Sokka!" Xiaodan screamed as she tried to slow their descent towards the ocean just as Appa appeared underneath them, where Katara was reaching her hand out.

Xiaodan released on hand from the spars and grasped Katara's hand and the dark-haired girl pulls both Xiaodan and Sokka into the saddle, the white-haired girl snapping her glider shut as soon as her feet touched the saddle then grabbed Sokka by the arm to keep him from falling back out. Appa roared loudly as his feet skim the ocean before he rises slightly above it while Katara, Sokka, and Xiaodan clutch the front of the saddle tightly.

A fish jumped out of nowhere and smacked Sokka in the face, knocking him onto his back in the middle of the saddle then Momo jumped up and caught the fish before it could dive back into the water. Xiaodan hurriedly helped Sokka back to his knees then wrapped her arm around him and Katara and the three clutched the front of the saddle again as Aang flew Appa closer and closer to the Fire Nation blockade, fireballs striking the water all around them.

"Ready..." Zhao called out to his soldiers, holding his hand up and waiting to give the signal.

Aang flew closer to the blockade with a look of obstinate determination on his face while Sokka, Katara, and Xiaodan clutched the saddle rim tightly, their heads ducked down.

Zhao's eyes narrowed then he slashed his hand downward, "Fire!"

The catapult behind him launched the fireball directly at the sky bison.

Aang closed his eyes then snapped it open, unafraid as he leapt from Appa's head and Airbended himself towards the fireball. The young Airbender spun himself around to gather momentum then kicked his foot out, sending a power blast of air towards the flaming projectile causing it to explode in a large smoky blast.

Xiaodan lunged forward and grabbed her brother's arms along with Sokka and Katara when he flew back into Appa's head with a grunt then the white-haired girl flipped over him and grabbed the reins, flying Appa safely over the stunned Fire Nation soldiers as they watched from their ships.

"We made it!" Aang exclaimed ecstatically, punching his fist in the air while Xiaodan gave a cheer and the Water Tribe siblings grimaced in terror.

"We got into the Fire Nation." Sokka stated meekly, "Great."

"Where do you think the Avatar is headed, sir?" the captain asked Commander Zhao curiously.

"I'm not sure." The man replied and turned to look at Zuko's smoking ship, "But I bet a certain banished prince will know."

"We're on a collision course!" Iroh exclaimed as he watched two much large Fire Nation warships sail towards each other, about to cut off Zuko's ship's path.

"We can make it." Zuko stated confidently as he watched the gap between the two ships grow smaller.

Zhao's captain stood in front of a small squad of nine Firebenders behind Commander Zhao.

"The boarding party is ready to apprehend Prince Zuko, sir." The captain reported calmly.

"Wait!" Zhao ordered quickly, holding his hand up to stop the men, "Cut the engines and let them pass."

"Sir?" the captain questioned in confusion.

Zuko watched through narrowed eyes as each ship in the blockade grinds to halt, allowing his ship to pass untouched. Gold eyes met cold brown as Zuko glared up at Zhao from the top deck of his ship.

Iroh stroked his beard curiously as he and his nephew look behind them at the Fire Nation ships in silence as they sail safely through.

Xiaodan sprawled out in the middle of the saddle on her back, one hand resting on her still racing heart while Katara and Sokka sat up near the front of the saddle and Aang sat on Appa's head.

As the day passed and the sun reached its highest point Sokka shifted to the back of the saddle where he slumped forward while Katara leaned her arms over the front of the saddle. Xiaodan had taken Aang's spot on Appa's head while the bald boy lounged against the sky bison's neck with his hands behind his head.

They continued flying in silence as the sun began to set and the sky turned a pinkish-orange and Appa was visibly tired, his head dropping slightly. Aang was once again taken position atop Appa's head, sprawled out on his belly with Momo in the same position on his own head. Katara, Sokka, and Xiaodan were lying next to each other in the saddle, both Sokka and Xiaodan dozing slightly.

Suddenly Momo perked up and began bouncing on Aang's head, causing the young boy to look up as well.

"There it is!" He cried out as he lifted his head and his three friends shift into a kneeling position in the saddle, "The island where Roku's dragon took me."

"Wow..." Xiaodan muttered to herself as she took in the large, crescent shaped island and the smoking volcano in the center as Appa descended.

"You did it buddy!" Aang said happily as he hugged Appa's face after they had landed at the base of a stone bridge that lead up the side of the volcanic mountain and ended at the elegant, multi-story Fire Temple, "Nice flying."

Appa bellowed in satisfaction and rolled onto his side, waving three of his legs into the air lazily as his tongue lolled out, causing Xiaodan to chuckle from her spot near his side by Katara.

"Poor baby, you must be exhausted." The white-haired girl cooed as she and Katara rubbed the sky bison's belly affectionately.

"No! I'm good!" Sokka called out happily as he stretched behind the two girls, "Refreshed and ready to fight some Firebenders!"

"She was talking to Appa." Katara stated drily, looking at her brother with a hand propped on her hip.

Sokka paused in his stretching then gestured to Momo who was hanging on a dead tree branch, "Well... I was talking to Momo."

"Right..." Xiaodan drawled and turned back to rub Appa's belly.

"I don't see any guards." Sokka observed as the four teens plus Momo peered over a small wall below the steps leading into the temple.

"The Fire Nation must have abandoned the temple when Avatar Roku died."

"It's almost sundown." Xiaodan pointed out quietly, gesturing to the setting sun and Aang leapt to his feet.

"We better hurry!" He exclaimed as he rushed up the steps and towards the front door with Katara, Sokka, and Xiaodan with Momo on her shoulder right behind him.

The four tip-toe through the enormous entrance chamber with fire-décor columns.

"Wait." Sokka whispered as he paused, "I think I heard something."

The four turn around and froze when the y saw fire men dressed in red and wearing tall hats standing in the hallway.

"We are the Fire Sages." The old man in front of the five others stated, "Guardians of the temple of the Avatar."

"Great!" Aang exclaimed happily as he walked forward, "I'm the Avatar!"

"We know." The lead Fire Sage said then inhaled briskly and punched a blast of fire at the four teens.

"Whoa!" Xiaodan yelped and whipped her staff from her back, spinning it in front of her to disperse the fire blast.

Aang leapt in front of her and deflected the three other fire blasts the Sages sent at them using Airbending, "I'll hold them off. Run!"

Xiaodan hesitated and Sokka grabbed her arm, pulling her after him and Katara as they raced down the hallway in front of them, leaving Aang to deal with the Fire Sages.

Once he saw his friends disappear down the hallway, Aang leapt forward and crouched, spinning his leg across the ground and sending a blade of air at the Fire Sages' legs causing them to fall to the ground with surprised gasps. Aang quickly jumped to his feet and raced after his friends.

"If the Avatar contacts Roku, there's no telling how powerful the boy will become!" The lead Fire Sage snapped as he and the other Sages got to their feet, "Split up and find him!"

Katara, Sokka and Xiaodan raced through the hallways, pausing when Aang suddenly skidded in front of them and darted in the direction the three teens had been originally heading in.

"Follow me!" the young Airbender shouted over his shoulder.

"Do you know where you're going?!" Sokka demanded as he, Katara, and Xiaodan raced after Aang.

"Nope!" Aang shouted back, turning a corner only to come skidding back and run back down the hallway, "Wrong way!"

"Ack!" Xiaodan squeaked and darted after Aang along with Katara and Sokka when they saw one of Fire Sages appear around the corner.

"Come back!" the Fire Sage called out to them before running after them.

The four turn another corner and charge down the hallway, with Aang leading the other three only to skid to a stop when they notice the hallway lead to dead end. The four spin around to face the Fire Sage, Xiaodan moving into defensive positions in front of the others.

"I don't want to fight you!" The Fire Sage said softly, holding out his hands, "I am a friend."

"Firebenders aren't our friends!" Sokka snapped as Aang stepped up beside Xiaodan and assumed an Airbending position like her.

Xiaodan tensed when the Fire Sage stepped towards Aang, but hesitated in attacking when the man dropped to his knees and pressed his hands to the floor in a gesture of submission.

"Uh..." the white-haired girl stuttered in confusion as her friends looked down at the Sage in equal surprise and confusion.

"I know why you're here, Avatar." The man stated, still on the floor.

"You do?" Aang questioned in surprise as he straightened from his defensive position.

"Yes," the man replied then got to his feet, "You wish to speak to Avatar Roku. I can take you to him."

"How?" Xiaodan asked skeptically, still tense but no longer in an Airbending stance, "And who are you?"

"I am Shyu." The Sage, Shyu, said.

The four watched as he slid back a lamplight on the wall then placed his palm on the spot the lamp used to be, focusing his firebending in that area which caused a secret passage to open, "This way will lead you to Avatar Roku."

The four hesitate a moment until the lead Fire Sage's voice echoed down the hall.

"Time is running out!" Shyu insisted as he looked down the hall then gestured to the secret passageway, "Quickly!"

Aang and Xiaodan exchange a look before the older girl nodded and she entered the passage way first, followed by Aang then Katara and Sokka with Shyu entering last and closing the secret door behind them.

"What's he up to Uncle?" Zuko asked aloud, gripping the railing beside his telescope tightly until his knuckles turned white as smoke billowed behind his ship, "Why didn't Commander Zhao arrest me?"

"Because he wants to follow you." Iroh stated wisely, "He knows you'll lead him to the prize you're both after; the Avatar."

"If Zhao wants to follow our trail of smoke, then that's exactly what I'll let him do." Zuko growled quietly as an idea began to form in his mind.

"Avatar Roku once called this temple his home." Shyu explained as lead the group down a set of stairs, "He formed these secret passages out of the magma."

"Impressive." Xiaodan murmured as she looked at the passage's red walls.

"Did you know Avatar Roku?" Aang asked as he followed behind the helpful Fire Sage.

"No." Shyu replied with a shake of his head, "But my grandfather knew him. Many generations of Fire Sages guarded this Fire Temple long before me. We have a strong spiritual connection to tis place."

"Is that how you knew Aang was coming?" Xiaodan piped in after seeing the questioning looking on her little brother's face.

"A few weeks ago, an amazing thing occurred." Shyu explained as they began walking up a set of stairs, "The statue of Avatar Roku, its eyes began to glow!"

"That's when we were at the Air Temple." Katara commented, "Avatar Roku's eyes were glowing there too!"

"At that moment, we knew you had returned to the world."

"If this is the Avatar's temple, why did the sages attack me?" Aang questioned, looking at Shyu's back imploringly.

"Things have changed." Shyu stated regretfully, "In the past, the sages were loyal only to the Avatar. When Roku died, the sages eagerly awaited for the next Avatar to return. But he never came."

Aang stopped walking and looked down guiltily, "They were waiting for me."

"Hey don't feel bad." Sokka said, putting a hand on the younger boy's shoulder, "You're only a hundred years late."

Aang scowled heavily at the older boy and Xiaodan punched Sokka in the shoulder as she past him as she continued to follow the Fire Sage.

"Shut up, Sokka." The white-haired girl called over her shoulder as she walked away, ignoring the glare Sokka was giving her as he rubbed his shoulder.

"They lost hope the Avatar would ever return. When Fire Lord Sozin began the War, my grandfather and the other sages were forced to follow him." Shyu continued then shook his head sadly, "I never wanted to serve the Fire Lord. When I learned you were coming, I knew I would betray the other Sages."

"Thank you for helping me." Aang said sincerely and Shyu smiled at the young boy happily before they continued to walk.

They reached a set of stairs that spiral high above their heads, "We'll follow these stairs to the sanctuary."

The group walked in silence as they continued up the flight of stairs that seemed to never end until Shyu began speaking again as they neared the top.

"Once you're inside, wait for the light to hit Avatar Roku's statue. Only then will you be able to speak with him."

The group watched as Shyu slid back a secret tile and looked around then climbed out and into a large room with massive columns with dragon statues atop them and an immense door with a device holding five open-mouthed dragons dominated the room. The four teens plus Momo follow the Fire Sage and the man gasped in dismay.

"No!"

"Shyu, what's wrong?" Aang asked as he approached the closed door with Xiaodan right behind him.

"The sanctuary doors, they are closed!"

Aang tugged at the doors but they didn't budge and Katara looked at Shyu questioning.

"Can't you just open them with Firebending? Like you opened that other door?"

"No." Shyu replied with a shake of his head, "Only a fully realized Avatar is powerful enough to open this door alone. Otherwise, the Sages must open this door together with five simultaneous fire blasts."

"Five fire blasts, huh?" Sokka stated ponderously as he tapped his chin in thought then the lamplight above his head flickered on and he grinned, "I think I can help you out."

Xiaodan quirked an eyebrow at him curiously while the others just looked at him.

"Uncle, keep heading north." Zuko ordered as the small boat is lowered from his warship with him on it, "Zhao will follow the smoke trail, while I use it as a cover."

Iroh grunted in doubtful agreement and stroked his chin thoughtfully as he watched Zuko's small boat be lowered onto the water's surface and disappeared into the smoke.

Zhao glared through his telescope at the smoke billowing from behind the banished prince's ship. He lowered the telescope and stared in that direction with determination.

Xiaodan crouched beside Sokka as she watched him pour oil from the lamplights into a bag.

"This is a little trick I picked up from my father." He explained as he tied the bag shut, "I seal the lamp oil inside an animal skin casing, Shyu lights the oil soaked twine and ta-da! Fake Firebending."

"You've really outdone yourself this time, Sokka." Katara stated, actually impressed.

Xiaodan nodded, grinning at the boy, "This is genius, Sokka, if I didn't see you as a brother I would kiss you."

Sokka blushed brightly at her words causing her to laugh quietly as she got to her feet and helped him put the oil filled bags into the dragons' mouths.

"This might actually work." Shyu murmured with a slight smile.

"The Sages will hear the explosion." Shyu said to Aang as he watched Sokka fit the last bag into the dragon's mouth, careful not to let the teeth puncture the animal skin, "So as soon as they go off, you rush in!"

Holding Momo to her chest, Katara hid behind on of the columns in front of the large door then glanced over to where Aang was hiding behind the column next to hers with Xiaodan.

"It's almost sunset. Are you ready?" She asked as Sokka rushed over to stand beside her, his fingers in his ears.

"Definitely." Aang stated confidently with a nod of his head then he and Xia ducked behind the pillar as Shyu sent a small stream of fire from his finger, catching the oil soaked twine on fire then the Sage rushed over to hide behind the pillar with Xiaodan and Aang.

BOOM!

Xiaodan winced and cringed back behind the pillar as the oil-filled bags exploded and smoke billowed out towards them. Aang rushed into the smoke towards the doors and tried to yank them open, only for it to remain closed.

"It's still locked!" He called over his shoulder in surprise as the smoke cleared.

Shyu sighed sadly and shook his head as Sokka rose to his feet from behind Katara while Xiaodan made her way over to Aang.

"It didn't work." Shyu stated sadly and Aang fell to his knees, Xiaodan resting her hand against his shoulder in silent comfort.

"Why. Won't. It. Open?!" Aang shouted as he furiously beat against the door with powerful gusts of wind that somewhat shook the room.

"Aang! Stop!" Katara ordered, grabbing Aang's arm when he went to throw another blast of air at the door then she released his arm when she had his attention, "There's nothing else we can do..."

"I'm sorry I put you through all this for nothing." Aang apologized glumly as he hung his head.

"I don't get it." Sokka stated in confusion as he stood in front of the locked door and ran a finger through the black soot, "That blast looked as strong as any Firebending I've seen."

"Sokka, you're a genius!" Katara exclaimed excited after a moment when an idea hit her.

"Wait." Aang said, looking at Katara in confusion, "How is Sokka a genius? His plan didn't even work."

"Come on, Aang." Sokka quipped happily, "Let her dream."

Katara shook her head and began explaining, "You're right. Sokka's plan didn't work, but it looks like it did."

A grin slowly spread across Xiaodan's face as she understood what Katara was saying, "Oh, I get it!"

Katara grinned at her happily but Aang continued to look confused, looking from one grinning girl to the other.

"Did the definition of genius change over the last hundred years?"

Katara grabbed her chin and smiled slyly at the young boy while Xiaodan practically bounced with excitement and eagerness.

"Come quickly!" Shyu shouted when he saw the other Fire Sages and he gestured towards the soot covered door, "The Avatar has entered the sanctuary!"

"How did he get in?" The lead Fire Sage demanded and Shyu shrugged.

"I don't know!" Shyu proclaimed then gestured towards the scorch marks on the floor, "But look at the scorch marks! And down there!"

The other Fire Sages looked down and gasped when they saw the shadow visible at the bottom of the door.

"He's inside!" the oldest Fire Sage exclaimed, "Open the doors immediately! Before he contacts Avatar Roku!"

Xiaodan watched as Aang slid into position behind a nearby column from her spot perched above him atop the dragon. She then turned her gaze to the five Sages as they all took deep breathes then send five streams of fire into the open mouths of the dragons on the door, causing the locks to shift open.

The five Sages stay in a Firebending position, ready to attack the Avatar as soon as the door is opened only to pause when they see the soot covered lemur in the dark room.

"It's the Avatar's lemur!" The lead Fire Sage cried out, "He must have crawled through the pipes. We've been tricked!"

At that moment, Momo leapt onto the lead Fire Sage's head and clung to his hat just while Katara rushed forward from behind a pillar and yanked the tunic over one of the Sage's head effectively blinding him. Sokka and Xiaodan rush forward at the same time and grab the lower skirt of a nearby Sage's outfit then together they pull the fabric completely over his body to cover his face.

"Now, Aang!" Shyu shouted as he grabbed the last free Sage and pinned him , but Aang didn't appear.

"Aang! Now's your chance!" Katara shouted as she, Sokka, and Xiaodan pinned the two Sages they had attacked to the ground.

"You!" Xiaodan nearly roared as she leapt to her feet with a snarl when Zuko appeared from behind the pillar, pinning Aang's arms behind his back, "Let my brother go!"

"The Avatar is coming with me!" Zuko snapped as he pushed Aang towards the secret tile in the floor while the Sages gained the upper hand and pinned Sokka, Katara, Xiaodan and Shyu while Momo flew away with the lead Sage's hat.

"Close the doors! Quickly!" Zuko ordered harshly as he forced Aang to walk towards the open tile.

"Let me go!" Xiaodan screeched, thrashing in lead Sage's grip, "Aang!"

Aang glanced over his shoulder and tensed when he saw the Sages chaining Xiaodan, Sokka, Katara, and Shyu to a column. The young Airbender twisted his arms free from Zuko's grasp them spun around him and kicked him down the stairs with an Airbending blast.

Xiaodan saw Aang running towards her, Sokka, and Katara and quickly shook her head.

"No, Aang!" She shouted at him and turned her head to the closing door, "Go!"

Aang twisted himself in the other direction and raced towards the closing door without hesitation, leaping into the air to avoid the fire blast the Great Fire Sage sent at him. He flipped himself over, bouncing first off the Great Sage's head then another sage's head and flew through door just as it closed behind him.

"Whoo!" Xiaodan cheered loudly, childishly sticking her tongue at the Sages in victory.

"He made it!" Katara said happily, obviously pleased as the door sealed shut with a blinding flash of white light.

Aang kneeled in front of Avatar Roku's statue and looked up at it as a beam of red sunlight appeared in the room and struck the glistening red jewel held in the statue's hands.

"The light hits the statue and I talk to Roku." Aang stated in confusion as he stood, "So why isn't anything happening?"

Xiaodan smiled smugly as she, Katara, Sokka, and Shyu watched the four Fire Sages and Zuko launched blasts of fire into the door's locks but nothing happened.

"Why isn't it working, it's sealed shut?" Zuko demanded, frustrated at not being able to get into the room.

"It must have been the light." The Great Sage commented, "Avatar Roku doesn't want us inside."

"Hmm... I wonder why that is." Xiaodan quipped from behind them, still chained to the column with her two friends and Shyu, "I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you just tried to kill his reincarnation or anything."

"Shut up!" Zuko roared as he whirled to face the smug white-haired girl.

Xiaodan smiled at him, although it looked more like she was baring her teeth at him and Zuko scowled darkly at her.

"Why isn't anything happening?" Aang questioned aloud in exasperation as he stood in the middle of the room facing Roku's statue, "I don't know what I'm doing! All I know is Airbending! Please Avatar Roku, talk to me!"

Avatar Roku's statue turned red as the sunlight engulfed it and its eye began to glow white. Aang didn't look away from the statue as the room began to fill with smoke and when the smoke dissipated, Avatar Roku stood before the young Airbender on a mountaintop where only clouds are visible.

"It's good to see you, Aang." Roku greeted the young Avatar, his lips quirked with good humor, "What took you so long?"

Aang closed his mouth with a snap then respectfully placed his fist into his palm and bowed his head to his past life.

"Why did you help the Avatar?" Zuko questioned the bound Fire Sage in front of him firmly.

"Because it was once the Sages' duty." Shyu stated sadly but with pride as he looked at the prince, "It is still our duty."

Sudden clapping interrupts the interrogation and the Sages looked behind the banished prince, staring as Commander Zhao and six Firebender guards approached.

"What a moving and heartfelt performance." The haughty man mocked, "I'm certain the Fire Lord will understand, when you explain why you betrayed him."

The Great Fire Sage stepped forward and placed his palms together, bowing over them, "Commander Zhao."

"And Prince Zuko," Zhao stated, ignoring the Great Fire Sage as one of his Firebenders came up behind the prince, "It was a noble effort, but your little smokescreen didn't work. To traitors in one day, the Fire Lord will be please."

Zuko scowled darkly at the older man and jerked forward when one of Zhao's Firebenders grabbed his arms, pinning them behind his back.

"You're too late, Zhao!" Zuko snapped as he strained against his captor, "The Avatar's inside and the doors are sealed."

"No matter." Zhao replied confidently as he cast a sidelong glance at the sealed doors, "Sooner or later, he has to come out."

Xiaodan sucked in a worried breath and her whole body tensed as she stared intently at the new man threatening her brother while Katara and Sokka shared an apprehensive glance.

"I have something very important to tell you, Aang." Roku said calmly as he faced the young Airbender, "That is why, when you were in the Spirit World, I sent my dragon to find you."

"Is it about that vision?" Aang questioned curiously, "The one about the comet?"

"Yes."

"What does it mean?"

"One hundred years ago," Roku began to explain, "Fire Lord Sozin used that comet to begin the War. He and his Firebending army harnessed its incredible power, and dealt a deadly first strike against the other nations."

"So the comet made them stronger?" Aang asked carefully and again Roku nodded.

"Yes. Stronger than you could even imagine."

"But that happened a hundred years ago." Aang stated in confusion, "What does the comet have to do with the War now?"

"Listen carefully." Roku instructed, "Sozin's Comet will return by the end of the summer and Fire Lord Ozai will use its power to finish the War, once and for all. If he succeeds, even the Avatar won't be able to restore balance to the world."

Roku looked down at Aang seriously, "Aang, you mustdefeat the Fire Lord, before the comet arrives."

"But I haven't even started learning Waterbending!" Aang protested anxiously as he looked up at Roku, "Not to mention earth and fire!"

"Mastering the elements takes years of discipline and practice." Roku stated unyieldingly, "But if the world is to survive, you must do by summer's end."

Aang looked up at his past life with a shocked and worried expression on his young face.

Xiaodan wiggled against her bonds as she watched the Sages, Commander Zhao and his Firebenders circle around the door's perimeter and assume a Firebending stance, waiting patiently for the door to open.

"When those doors open," Zhao began then rose his voice to a shout, "unleash all of your firepower!"

"How's Aang gonna make it out of this?" Katara asked worriedly as she looked at the Firebenders.

"How are we gonna make it out of this?" Sokka countered just as worried as his sister.

Xiaodan ignored both of them as she continued to wriggle against the bonds around her wrists, her orange-eyed gaze never leaving the still closed door.

"What if I can't master all the elements in time?" Aang asked Roku, his tone terrified, "What if I fail?"

"I know you can do it, Aang." Roku said it encouragingly, "For you have done it before."

Aang smiled slightly at the meaning of Roku's words.

"The solstice is ending. We must go our separate ways, for now." Roku commented quietly.

"But I won't be able to come back to the temple." Aang stated, sounding worried again, "What if I have questions? How will I talk to you?"

"I am a part of you. When you need to talk to me again, you will find a way." Roku reassured then closed his eyes, showing Aang a vision of Fire Navy ships surrounding the island, "A great danger awaits you at the temple."

Roku showed Aang another vision of the Firebenders waiting on the other side of the door, "I can help you face the threat. But only if you are ready."

Aang's eyes and arrow tattoos begin to glow and he nodded his head, "I'm ready."

Xiaodan sucked in a deep breath as the door began to glow brightly and smoke began to pour out from under it. Her whole body tensed as the doors unlocked itself and began to open, a blinding while light forcing everyone in the room to look away as the door opened fully.

"Ready..." Zhao stated as the light faded and revealed a pair of glowing white eyes in the darkness of the room.

"Aang!" Xiaodan shouted and began to struggle against her bonds fiercely along with Sokka.

"No!" Katara screamed in terror as the Firebenders prepare to attack, "Aang!"

"Fire!" Zhao commanded, ignoring the two girls' shouts from behind him as he and his guards send a simultaneous blast of fire at the unseen target.

Xiaodan gasped in awe as the wall of fire began to circle around its new host, revealing Avatar Roku, eyes glowing piercingly behind the wall of flames, completely untouched. The white-haired girl didn't bother to suppress the feeling of smug satisfaction when she got the terror-stricken look on Commander Zhao's face.

"Avatar Roku..." Shyu breathed quietly as he stared in awe at the previous Avatar.

They all watch as Avatar Roku drew the circling fire together in a single motion, then launched it forward in one powerful wave that seared the room and blasted his attackers off their feet. The previous Avatar's attack was so precise that the chains binding Xiaodan, Katara, Sokka, Shyu, and Zuko to their pillars melted without ever touching either of them, and Zuko took that moment to rush from the room and out of the temple. The blast even destroyed the outer wall of the temple, revealing the Fire Navy ships surrounding the island.

Avatar Roku turned his furious, glowing gaze onto the Fire Sages who cowered in fear and in a panic, fled from the room to escape his wrath.

"Avatar Roku is going to destroy the temple!" Shyu exclaimed, "We have to get out of here!

"Not without Aang!" Xiaodan yelled as she, Katara, Sokka, and Shyu hid behind the pillar they had been chained to while Avatar Roku destroyed his temple.

The previous Avatar knelt into a forward strike and melted the floor of the outer sanctuary with a molten Firebending trail. Then he steadily began to lift his hand, causing the lava below to temple to bubble the rise and finally erupt into furious explosions, soaring through the temple and tearing it apart from the inside.

Katara, Sokka, and Xiaodan huddle behind the pillar with Sokka kneeling over both girls in a protective, brotherly fashion and the destruction stopped momentarily as Avatar Roku lowered his hands and exhaled loudly.

In the inner sanctuary, the solstice's beam of sunlight began to leave the previous Avatar's statue, it's eyes no longer glowed and as this happened, Avatar Roku drew upon all the smoke in the room, his form disappearing in the haze and leaving a weary Aang behind.

"Aang!" Xiaodan shouted as she raced out from behind the pillar and got the younger Airbender as he fell to his knees, hooking his arm over shoulder in an effort to keep him on his feet.

"We got your back." Sokka stated as he and Katara walked over, Sokka wrapping Aang's other arm over his shoulder as he and Xiaodan hold him up.

"Thanks." Aang murmurs weakly, leaning his head against Xiaodan's shoulder, "Where's Shyu?"

"I don't know." Katara replied, walking in front of them as she led them towards the stairwell to leave the temple.

The four stared in horror at the stairwell filled with lava, gasping when a pillar fell down near then before running towards the only available exit, the giant hole in the wall. They stare in dismay when they realize they can't go that way because they are on the top floor of the temple.

"Look!" Xiaodan shouted excitedly, leaning out the giant hole and pointing towards where Appa and Momo are flying towards them quickly.

The four teens took a few steps back then raced towards the hole and jumped out, landing in Appa's saddle as he flew past. Xiaodan, Aang, Katara, and Sokka all look back at the island as Appa flew away, frowning slightly as they watched the temple fall.

Suddenly, Momo popped up from between Aang and Xiaodan, the Great Fire Sage's hat on his head, causing the white-haired girl to laugh slightly.

Zhao glared darkly as he watched the Avatar's sky bison fly away from him then he whirled around to face the bound Fire Sages surrounded by his guards.

"No Prince, no Avatar." Zhao snarled as he glared at the five men, "Apparently the only thing I do have is five traitors!"

"But Commander!" the Great Fire Sage protested, "Only Shyu helped the Avatar."

"Save your stories for the Fire Lord. As far as I'm concerned, you're all guilty!" Zhao snapped harshly before ordering, "Take them to the prison hold!"

Back on his small boat, Zuko looked through his telescope at the Avatar's flying bison as it soared away from the burning island behind him. Scowling, the banished prince turned to sail his boat back to his warship.

The sky now dark with nighttime, Xiaodan, Katara, and Sokka slowly get up from their seats in Appa's saddle and sit beside Aang, who had his head hung in mourning. Xiaodan wrapped her arms around him in a sisterly embrace while Katara and Sokka put their hands on is shoulder, Appa continuing to fly out of the Fire Nation.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

594K 17.6K 47
ATLA Fanfic *Mature* __________ "Why did you do it?" She was startled he broke the silence, "Do what?" Her words were clipped. He gritted his teeth...
853K 39.7K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
607K 36.9K 101
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
47.2K 720 12
Meg and Maya are twin sisters two totally different personalities but are the best of friends when they go through a trip of time and space to find t...