Chapter Thirty - Four

Several Fire Nation tanks flanked the large metal drill as they rumbled across the rocky terrain. The drill followed behind the tanks slowly, several sections of the drill extending then retracting to propel it forward, towards the Outer Wall of Ba Sing Se.

"This drill is a feat of scientific ingenuity and raw destructive power." War Master Qin all but gloated as he stood in front of Princess Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai in the drill's command module, "Once it tunnels through the wall, our troops will storm the city. The Earth Kingdom will finally fall, and you can claim Ba Sing Se in the name of your father. Nothing can stop us."

"Hmm..." Ty Lee hummed quietly as she looked out of the periscope at several Earth Kingdom troops that are Earthbending large trenches in front of the wall, "What about those muscle-y guys down there?"

"Please." Qin drawled as he walked over to the acrobat and he hit the periscope with his knuckle, "The drill's metal shell is impervious to any Earthbending attack."

Ty Lee recoiled with a startled gasp then she glared at the War Master in annoyance, a pout forming on her lips.

"Oh, I'm sure it is, War Master Qin, but just to be on the safe side..."Azula said then she addressed her two friends sharply, "Mai and Ty Lee, take the Earthbenders out!"

"Finally," Mai muttered blandly as she swung one of her knives around her finger and she got to her feet, "Something to do."

Ty Lee giggled quietly and followed her expressionless friend out of the command module.

Katara led her brother, Toph, and Tahn's family towards the wall. The dark-haired Waterbender lifted her head and blinked in surprise when she saw Aang and Momo flying towards them.

"Aang," She said in surprise when he landed in front of her and he snapped his glider closed, "What are you doing here? I thought you were looking for Appa."

"I was." Aang replied and he looked off to the side as Momo landed on his shoulder, "But something stopped me. Something big."

Katara looked at him in confusion but the young Airbender didn't say anything as he took the lead and he led the group back towards the wall. When they reached the base of the Outer Wall, Toph and Aang Earthbended the section of ground they were standing on and began lifting it up the wall towards the top.

"Now what's so big that Appa has to wait?" Sokka asked curiously from beside Toph as he crossed his arms over his chest and looked over at his friend.

"That." Aang replied and he nodded his head towards the massive Fire Nation drill heading towards the Outer Wall in the distance.

The group reached the top of the Outer Wall and they hopped off the section of earth, looking out at the approaching drill and tanks.

"We made it to Ba Sing Se and we're still not safe." Ying sobbed despairingly as she clutched her new baby to her chest and her family huddled around her, "No one is!"

"What are you people doing here?" An Earthbender guard suddenly demanded when he spotted the group, "Civilians aren't allowed on the wall!"

Aang turned towards the guard and he stepped forward, "I'm the Avatar. Take me to whoever is in charge."

"It is an honor to welcome you to the Outer Wall," General Sung stated happily as he sat behind his desk and he looked at the four teens standing in front of him, "But your help is not needed."

"Not needed?" Aang demanded in surprise and he looked at the general like he was crazy.

"Not needed. I have the situation under control." General Sung repeated firmly as he got to his feet and he walked out from under the roof of his office, gesturing towards the wall, "I assure you the Fire Nation cannot penetrate this wall. Many have tried to break through it, but none have succeeded."