The Child Who Holds the Power

By loverice

To Jezebel Spencer being made to move to the other side of the world, away from her beloved home and country... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
The Child Out For Revenge

Chapter 9

7.2K 289 15
By loverice

Chapter 9

The kiss didn't last long enough, but it was sweet and exactly what I needed. After that neither of us were in the frame of mind to go back to class. For the rest of the day we stayed in the secluded room with the couches. We lay there on the couches for hours and Josh asked me how I'd gotten the cut on my arm. I explained about what happened on the roof with Carter and the whole time Josh sat quietly with a frown on his face.

Josh was spread out on a couch and I was curled up next to him on the same couch. My head lay on his chest and I was playing with his fingers. Josh, I could tell, was distracted by the whole Carter thing. Questions buzzed around my head and I desperately wanted to ask Josh, but he was lost in thought. For the time being I was quite happy to just lay there beside him in the tranquil silence.

Josh took me by surprise when he asked, "Why do you still trust me after all of that?"

I propped myself up on my elbow so I could look down at his face, "Because I think no one was supposed to tell me about anything and I don't think it was your fault. All the lies, you didn't make them."

He nodded and then said quietly, "You must have lots of questions...."

I sat up and moved to one end of the couch so I could have a better perspective of his expression. Josh sat up too but remained where he was. I sat there and thought about where to start. The question that bothered me the most seemed  like a good enough place being.

"Why wasn't anyone allowed to tell me the truth about what I am and what the school actually is?" I asked slowly.

Josh rubbed his face with his hand, "Jeez, ask the hard question first why don't you."

I bit my lip, "You don't know do you?"

Josh shook his head, "I don't know the actual reason why, I can only guess. There'd have to be more people involved in the decision than what we know. Miss Harlow would be one of the people because she's in charge of the school. Other than that, I think the main reason why nobody could tell you anything is because they, whoever they are, wanted you to settle in first. The timing had to be right."

I sat there quietly as I mulled over what Josh had told me. It sounded like he'd thought about it quite a bit and he still wasn't sure what the true answer was. 

"Ok then, how about the general legends of vampires and werewolves? I mean you're a vampire and you don't feel cold or you don't have red eyes and you're not super pale," I moved on to my next question.

Josh smiled as if he had been expecting the question, "Ok have you seen Twilight?"

I nodded.

He continued, "Well vampires do not sparkle in daylight nor do they burn. The whole thing about the sun is just an urban legend and 100% fake. Vampires are faster, stronger than humans and have heightened senses. Stakes made of wood do kill, so that's real."

He paused trying to think of anything else to add.

"Are you really 16 or are you actually 103 or something?" I asked sarcastically.

"Nah, I'm 16. But vampires are born not made. Well they can be made but it is sort of illegal. If a vampire makes a vampire from a human they're both killed. The royal family of the vampires created that law centuries ago so humans wouldn't get suspicious of our existence. Anyway, born vampires can choose when they want to stop aging. Quite a few vampires try to wait until they are over thirty before they stop aging. Most people can't do it though because the thirst for blood becomes too much and they take a human life, which is the other way for a vampire to stop aging," Josh stopped there so I had time to take in all the new information.

I sat there a little puzzled, "So you're like half a vampire? Do you have all of the strength and stuff?"

"Yeah, kinda like a half vampire. All of the vampires here are like me except for the principal and some of the teachers. Half vampires still have the heightened strength, speed and senses," he clarified for me.

I nodded but then thought of something else, "I'm assuming by what you already said that vampires drink blood. If you're half a vampire do you drink blood?"

Josh didn't answer for a while, "I just want you to know that most full vampires don't just grab random people of the street and bite them. Most drink from blood bags that are sourced from blood banks. When you're a half vampire your body still requires blood, but not as much as a full vampire. I only drink a cup with my dinner. But if you go too long without blood you start to feel the blood lust even when you're a half."

I nodded again, "Ok that clears up a third of my questions."

Josh smiled broadly, "Well it's a start."

"Ok so what's up with the three....uh, families in each category thing?" I stumbled over the words.

He tried to hide his smile, "The royal family of the werewolves, vampires and witches are all the originating bloodline. The purest of their species. The head of each royal family meets and they are the ones who create laws and make the major decisions. My dad is the head of the vampire clan. The head of the were wolf royal family is actually Carter's father. As for the witches, well there aren't many witches left at all. The only remaining members of the witch royal family are you and your mother, which makes your mother the head of your clan."

My mouth was left agape, "We can't be the only people left in the royal family surely."

Josh had a solemn look on his face, "Witches weren't able to regain their numbers after the witch burnings in the 1400's to the 1700's. Even now there are people who hunt witches."

That piece of information gave me goose bumps.

"What about my dad? Is he a witch?" I asked, still trying to piece together my true family.

"Your father is a witch too, but not from the royal family. From what I know he was probably the most powerful witch there was besides your mother," Josh watched me carefully as that information sank in.

Learning about who my parents really were was too much to think about, so I decided moving on was the best thing to do.

I took a shaky breath, "So all witches don't have the same amount of power?"

"All witches have some power, but magic isn't distributed equally. Traditionally the royal witch family are the most powerful, but everyone is different. It really depends on the person. In some cases if a witch is powerful enough then they can also stop aging," Josh explained.

I decided to move away from the topic of witches all together, "Ok then. So we have covered – witches, vampires and royal families. Let's move on to werewolves."

"All right then. Werewolves.... where to start. They're basically overgrown dogs. Oh no! Better still- they're dogs on steroids," Josh poked fun.

I giggled lightly, "I'm guessing werewolves and vampires don't always get along?"

"Pretty much. Nah, some werewolves are assholes. But then again Chase is a werewolf and he' s my best friend," Josh replied.

I snorted, "So does silver hurt werewolves or is that another myth?"

"The silver thing is true, yes. And when they fully turn they do look exactly like a giant wolf, the hair, teeth and everything. They can half shift which is when they are in between forms, so they would have longer hair on their heads and sharper teeth,  but otherwise still look human. Werewolves are also born and can be made but again there is law against it as well. Werewolves however do age but very, very slowly," Josh paused wondering if he had covered everything.

I asked hesitantly, "What do they eat?"

Josh laughed at my tone of voice, "Normal food but they have tendency for raw meat."

"And werewolves are faster and stronger than humans too right?" I asked, thinking back to what Carter had said, 'I'm always going to be stronger than you'.

Josh just simply nodded confirmation.

"Well in that case, I guess the whole football team is either a vampire or a werewolf," I guessed.

He smiled mischievously and winked at me. We sat there in companionable silence for a little while, both of us thinking if there anything we'd forgotten to ask or mention. There was so much information to process but one thing stood out to me.

I turned to Josh unsure, "What happens if you do bite someone? Does it hurt?"

Josh avoided my questioning gaze and looked out the window.

"It depends," he replied evasively.

"On what?" I asked confused.

"What you're doing," he replied vaguely, completely not answering the question.

"What does that mean?" I prompted him to give me a better explanation.

He looked at me uncomfortably, "I have never bitten anyone but this is what I've been told. If you are bitten and it is meant maliciously, then it will hurt. A lot. But if you are willingly bitten it will just make you tired and sleepy."

It felt like there was something else he knew, but wasn't sharing, "But?"

He bit his lower lip and shifted uncomfortably on the couch.

"People say if you bite someone while- during-" he sighed frustrated with himself.

"If you bite someone while you're having sex then the endorphins sort of uuhhh make- enhance the experience," he finished in a rush.

I had no idea what to say to that, so my mouth was left hanging slightly open and my face bright red. I could tell Josh was uncomfortable as well and an awkward silence settled between us. No one said anything for a few long minutes and after a while I could no longer stand the silence.

"Why didn't my parent say anything?" I asked hurriedly, trying to change the subject.

Josh looked up and straight into my eyes with a small smile, "You start with a hard question and now you end with a hard question.

He paused before continuing, "But honestly, I have no idea."

I looked out the window puzzled, "That makes two of us."

Secrets were being kept all over the place and I still wasn't entirely sure I was being told the whole truth. It seemed as though I was still missing a major piece to the puzzle, but I didn't know where to find it. Or how. I looked over at Josh who was back to staring out the window, lost in his own thoughts. I guessed I'd have to play the waiting game and see what other information might unearth itself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

174K 7.4K 66
Katherine, Kat, was special, was unique. Being the only Cat Shifter she knew, she was one of a kind. At age 18, she lived by herself, moving around f...
2.7K 418 27
Ariella's biggest desire in life has always been such a simple one. She wants to be 'normal.' Unfortunately, that one simple wish has never been with...
80 3 2
Emmeranne Quintus, A not so ordinary but looks it on the outside recently turned Eighteen year old girl, With lots of child trauma and daddy issues...
247 17 13
A young boy who's spent his life a lie soon finds out the truth. He explores the forest and learns its secrets and sees interesting creatures and mak...