Noah (5th Street series)

By elizabethreyes__

Veronica Cruz has been through hell and back. After disconnecting with the world two years ago to be at the s... More

Chapter 1 - Part 1
Chapter 1 - Part 2
Chapter 2- Part 1
Chapter 2 - Part 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 3- Part 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5 - Part 1
Chapter 5 - Part 2
Chapter 6 - Part 1
Chapter 6 -Part 2
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9 - Part 1
Chapter 9- Part 2
Chapter 10 - Part 1
Chapter 10 - Part 2
Chapter 11 - Part 1
Chapter 11- Part 2
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 - Part 1
Chapter 13- Part 2
Chapter 14 - Part 1
Chapter 14 - Part 2
Chapter 15- Part 2
Chapter 16
Chapter 17 - Part 1
Chapter 17 - Part 2
Chapter 18 - Part 1
Chapter 18 - Part 2
Chapter 19
chapter 20
Chapter 21 - Part 1
Chapter 21 - Part 2
Chapter 22 - Part 1
Chapter 22- Part 2
Chapter 23
Chapter 24 - Part 1
Chapter 24 - Part 2
Chapter 25 - Part 1
Chapter 25 - Part 2
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 - Part 1
Chapter 28 - Part 2 & Epilogue

Chapter 15 - Part 1

109K 3.7K 424
By elizabethreyes__

Don't say it. Don't go there. "So that's the Rita, huh?"

Ugh! She was so weak! The second Veronica heard Rita's name and realized this was the girl who Noah had been with so recently and would probably be with again real soon, her insides were on fire. She'd never been that type of girl, but as much as she tried, she could not stop looking at her. She'd nearly lost her appetite all at once and had to force herself to eat while trying not to stare at Rita.

"Um, yeah." Noah shifted in the passenger seat. Veronica had sensed his discomfort at the restaurant as well.

"She seems nice." She really had—too nice.

"She is," Noah said, glancing out the window.

"She's pretty." If you liked the overly made-up type with massive tits.

Veronica could almost imagine those huge things bouncing above Noah as Rita rode him hard. This time Veronica was the one who looked out her window, grinding her teeth and squeezing her eyes shut. Stop it.

"I guess."

Noah was obviously not going to willingly contribute to this conversation, but for some stupid reason, Veronica couldn't drop it. She should. She really should, especially after concluding that Noah's feelings for her were passing the friendship line, and she had to put a stop to it. She'd already made a conscious decision to start pulling away. But her insides were still boiling just thinking about him and Rita and where he might be spending his free time now that she was in town.

"So I guess you two will be hanging out now that she's here for the holidays, right?" And her stupidity continued.

Noah shifted again in his seat, and he cleared his throat. "I don't know. We didn't talk about it or anything. Probably not."

Veronica chuckled. It came out sounding a little more sarcastic and louder than she expected to.

"What?" Noah asked, turning to her.

Veronica backpedaled, feeling like an idiot. She shrugged. "Nothing."

"That didn't sound like nothing."

She stared ahead, not wanting to look at him. Let it go. Say you were thinking of something else. "It's just that, well, you know, after what Hector said the other day, I'm pretty sure you'll make the time." Why did she never listen to that little voice of reason?

"Once you get to know Hector a little better, you'll know that half the stuff that comes out of his mouth is bullshit."

Finally, she forced herself to do the right thing and change the subject, but not before rolling her eyes. "Listen, about Christmas Eve—"

"Unless you have other plans, you're going Roni. I don't want you home alone."

"But—"

"If you don't go, I'll stay home with you."

Veronica frowned as she pulled into her driveway. She'd agreed to go but had every intention of getting out of it. Noah and Rita hadn't gotten so much as a moment alone at the dinner much less done anything cozy, but Veronica knew now, without a doubt, it wasn't something she'd want to be witness to. There would likely be drinking involved on Christmas Eve and an atmosphere that might allow for more interaction between them, but she couldn't have him stay home on her account.

They both got out of the car and headed for the front door. "Noah, you can't do that. It's just that I'd feel more comfortable if I stayed home. Those are your friends. Just because I'm your roommate—"

"You're my friend too, remember? And as far as I'm concerned, we're more than friends now."

Veronica froze as she pushed the front door open and glanced back at him. Their eyes locked, and then he added, "We're like family now."

She let out a slow breath and stepped in the door with Noah behind her.

"I mean it makes sense, right? You don't have anyone, and I don't either, but we have each other. If you wanna stay home Christmas Eve, then we'll stay home, but I won't leave you alone."

She exhaled as she walked toward the dining room. He wasn't going to give her a choice. Staying home was not an option. She wouldn't keep him from yet another one of his holiday traditions. She'd have to bite the bullet sooner or later. If they were going to continue to be roommates—friends, then she may as well get it over with. Seeing him with other women was inevitable, and like it or not, something she was going to have to get used to.

Placing her purse on the table, she gave him a little smile. "I'll have to make something to take. I won't go empty-handed."

He grinned at her, satisfied. "I'll help you make it. You're not getting all the credit."

Her smile felt a little more genuine this time, even though the idea of being around Noah and Rita made her more anxious than she'd ever admit.

A couple of things had been confirmed tonight. First of all, Noah had this friends-with-benefits thing down to an art. Everyone there assumed Veronica and Noah had something going on. Yet Rita hadn't seemed bothered by it at all, something Veronica knew she could never do. At first, she thought it was an age thing, but Veronica was certain even at twenty, she would not have been able to handle seeing the guy she'd just slept with a few weeks prior walk in with another girl and be so amicable about it. It just took a certain personality and Veronica didn't have it. Period.

Second, most of the guys there didn't even make an effort to be discreet about the way they gawked at Rita's bust. They were so obvious it was almost funny. Veronica's delusional theory that Noah was just protective of his friends, especially girls, and that's why he acted the way he had with the Edward guy at the gym had been squashed. Veronica had watched as the guys openly flirted with Rita, and Noah hadn't so much as flinched. He didn't seem bothered by it in the least.

Leading her to her final confirmation—one she'd suspected for weeks. Young and impressionable Noah had begun to fall for her and in the process was becoming territorial, something she really needed to discourage. Yet every time she said she was going to, she took one step backwards, possibly encouraging him further.

First, his employee Christmas dinner. Now Christmas Eve again with his friends whom he considered closer than family. So much for pulling back.

~~~

Noah had succeeded in turning Veronica into a believer. Anytime they went somewhere together now, she made him drive so she could play with his phone.

"I told you I'd sell you on it," he said with that handsome grin of his.

Just then the only thing she hadn't quite gotten a grasp on about his phone happened. A text came through, and she pressed something that had it pop wide open for her to read. She hated for him to think she was being nosy, but it was impossible not to read the text before she could figure out what happened.

"Oh! You got a text," she said, shoving it in his direction so he'd know she wasn't trying to read it, though she already had. It was from Gio telling him he better not be flaking tonight.

Noah read it as he came to a stop at the red light and smiled. He pushed something then spoke into his phone. "I'm around the corner."

Veronica giggled about the insanity of it.

"Really? You don't even have to text anymore?"

"Nope," he said, handing it back to her.

She played with it again until another text popped up that she tried not to read, but she did catch something about the guys making bets about whether he'd show or not. Veronica frowned, knowing she was the reason they were betting he wouldn't show. She set the phone down as they pulled up in front of an overly decorated home—the kind where the decorations have no rhyme or reason and there's big, small, multi-colored, and white lighting going on, as if they just threw every decoration they'd collected in the past twenty years onto the front lawn. "Is this his house?

Noah laughed as he got out of the car. "Yep, this is the famous Bravo Christmas fiasco. It gets worse, uh, better every year."

They hadn't been kidding about Christmas Eve at Gio's. For starters, his family was huge. Noah told Veronica about Gio's dad passing a few years ago but that his side of the family, the Mexican half, was still very much in touch, and a lot of them were here tonight. But then there was his mom's side of the family—the Italian side who it seemed were all here tonight, and the place was packed. Between Gio's dad's side of the family, bringing all the tamales and a bunch of other Mexican dishes and his mother's side—Noah had mentioned several times before that they were known for going overboard on food even when it wasn't a holiday—there was an endless amount of food.

The two loaves of zucchini bread Noah and Veronica had baked together were quickly lost on the buffet table where they were told to set them. Most of the younger crowd—cousins and friends around Gio's age and younger—spent the majority of the evening in the back yard.

It seemed there were three main generations here: The older generation in their forties and up—uncles, aunts, grandparents, etc. Then there were the young adults like Gio and the older teens, some in their early twenties with their young girlfriends or boyfriends who hung out in the back, having drinks and listening to music. Finally, the crowd Veronica should've been in was the older cousin crowd: the young married couples dealing with young kids and babies that were inside, talking about more pregnancies, Santa Claus, and shopping for toys.

After a while of obsessing about things like that and casually watching Rita for any signs of jealousy or resentment and finding none, Veronica decided to just relax and have fun.

Unbelievably, she was coaxed into playing some of the silly games and even won a prize, though she was certain it was a pity gift. She never even came close to winning any of the games. Veronica was embarrassed when she met Gio's mom. The only thing she knew about the woman was that she was Italian and she cooked a lot. With that in mind Veronica had kept to the stereotype and pictured Gio's mom as short and heavy. To Veronica's surprise, the woman had a body a twenty-year-old would envy, and she was very young-looking for her age. And Gio had obviously gotten his striking green eyes from her. Since Gio was twenty, Veronica assumed his mother was in her early forties at least, yet she could pass for early thirties.

By the end of the night, Veronica was completely stuffed and exhausted. The night had begun with her dreading it, and now she was so glad she'd gone. She really had a pleasant time, and she had to admit, it did beat staying home alone.

When they got to the party, she'd warned Noah that she might leave early but that he should stay as long as he wanted. Of course his response had been, "We'll leave whenever you're ready."

As sweet as that was, it was also worrisome. Noah was becoming far too devoted to their friendship. As much as she appreciated his loyalty as a friend, she now knew he didn't see it as just that.

For now, she had nothing to worry about. There was no one else in her life. But just like she'd never dream of asking Noah to close that door in his life, she wasn't closing it in hers either. Judging from the way he'd acted with Edward, if she didn't get a handle on this now, things could get ugly later.

 And now I know why I'll never lose weight! Holy cow do my characters grub! And I get a craving every time I write/read about it! >.<

Get lots of 5th Street extra's. Excerpts of other books in the series, fun interviews with the characters and even a FREE holiday 5th street short on my website!

http://elizabethreyes.com/books/5th-street/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 33 22
Passion. Promises. Desire. Discipline. The transition from lovers to friends and life partners is an easy one for Bella and Xander. What's not so ea...
305K 28.8K 33
When your girlfriend gives you a gym membership for your birthday, your relationship is probably doomed. Too bad Jenny didn't realize this before pro...
7.3M 213K 78
To start over. That's what Alex Rose needed, after that night. That's what drove her out of her home in London, to New York, halfway across the wor...
100K 1.7K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...