Chapter 15 - Part 1

Don't say it. Don't go there. "So that's the Rita, huh?"

Ugh! She was so weak! The second Veronica heard Rita's name and realized this was the girl who Noah had been with so recently and would probably be with again real soon, her insides were on fire. She'd never been that type of girl, but as much as she tried, she could not stop looking at her. She'd nearly lost her appetite all at once and had to force herself to eat while trying not to stare at Rita.

"Um, yeah." Noah shifted in the passenger seat. Veronica had sensed his discomfort at the restaurant as well.

"She seems nice." She really had—too nice.

"She is," Noah said, glancing out the window.

"She's pretty." If you liked the overly made-up type with massive tits.

Veronica could almost imagine those huge things bouncing above Noah as Rita rode him hard. This time Veronica was the one who looked out her window, grinding her teeth and squeezing her eyes shut. Stop it.

"I guess."

Noah was obviously not going to willingly contribute to this conversation, but for some stupid reason, Veronica couldn't drop it. She should. She really should, especially after concluding that Noah's feelings for her were passing the friendship line, and she had to put a stop to it. She'd already made a conscious decision to start pulling away. But her insides were still boiling just thinking about him and Rita and where he might be spending his free time now that she was in town.

"So I guess you two will be hanging out now that she's here for the holidays, right?" And her stupidity continued.

Noah shifted again in his seat, and he cleared his throat. "I don't know. We didn't talk about it or anything. Probably not."

Veronica chuckled. It came out sounding a little more sarcastic and louder than she expected to.

"What?" Noah asked, turning to her.

Veronica backpedaled, feeling like an idiot. She shrugged. "Nothing."

"That didn't sound like nothing."

She stared ahead, not wanting to look at him. Let it go. Say you were thinking of something else. "It's just that, well, you know, after what Hector said the other day, I'm pretty sure you'll make the time." Why did she never listen to that little voice of reason?

"Once you get to know Hector a little better, you'll know that half the stuff that comes out of his mouth is bullshit."

Finally, she forced herself to do the right thing and change the subject, but not before rolling her eyes. "Listen, about Christmas Eve—"

"Unless you have other plans, you're going Roni. I don't want you home alone."

"But—"

"If you don't go, I'll stay home with you."

Veronica frowned as she pulled into her driveway. She'd agreed to go but had every intention of getting out of it. Noah and Rita hadn't gotten so much as a moment alone at the dinner much less done anything cozy, but Veronica knew now, without a doubt, it wasn't something she'd want to be witness to. There would likely be drinking involved on Christmas Eve and an atmosphere that might allow for more interaction between them, but she couldn't have him stay home on her account.

They both got out of the car and headed for the front door. "Noah, you can't do that. It's just that I'd feel more comfortable if I stayed home. Those are your friends. Just because I'm your roommate—"