HONEYDEW (A murder mystery)

By voracious_writer

#1 What's hot list Aleena is extremely distraught by her father's tragic death. But what follows is a series... More

NOTE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Not an update
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15~
Chapter 16~
Chapter 17~
Chapter 18~
Chapter 19~
Chapter 20~
Chapter 21~
Chapter 22~
<Chapter 23>
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Not an update
~EPILOGUE~
~Ecstatic~
~Acknowledgment~
~One-shot / Poem~

Chapter 12

9.7K 771 40
By voracious_writer

I heard footsteps halting near Aahil's study as it was located exactly opposite to our bedroom and the door closed with a loud bang.

How dare he?

I mean how dare he?

I was not done with him yet. Today I would confront him and get a few of my questions answered.

Shoving my blanket off me, I adjusted my hijab in case there were bodyguards in the corridor and went towards his study. As I approached nearer I heard Dilshad's crisp tone, "Have you checked your reflection lately?"

"Why? What's wrong with my appearance?" Aahil enquired with confidence.

"You look like you haven't slept from ages."

"Because I haven't, I just cannot let that file get into wrong hands, you know it could cause havoc."

I heard Dilshad laughing.

"What is so amusing, May I ask?"

"I am really sorry. I did not laugh at your statement relating the file, as I clearly know its importance and the harm it could cause if we fail to find it before its too late."

"Then?"

"It looks like you had sleepless nights because you got married recently."

I coloured deep crimson on hearing that.

"Oh, shut up!"

"Ok, sorry. I was just trying to lighten your mood. I am well aware that things are not good between the two of you. But I would have been glad to see you as a happily married man."

I heard Aahil sigh loudly, "Dilshad please, marriage is the last thing I want to discuss right now."

"I know the reason to your distress," His tone held amusement.

"Please enlighten me," There was a sarcastic tone to Aahil's reply.

"Aleena has successfully crawled into your heart and mind. Whoa! just look at yourself. You could be mistaken for a heartbroken young man."

"I guess coming to the study was the wrong idea."

"Aahil you could fool the whole world with your facade of happy marriage but I know the truth and I still feel you care for Aleena. You are becoming overprotective about her."

"Ok. I agree that I badly want to believe that Aleena is as innocent as her appearance suggests. She has the face of an angel and those honey-brown eyes have such sadness in them that makes me want to comfort her and then I remember that it's Isaac she loves and not me. And then I am not sure how am I supposed to react."

Isaac?

Why was Isaac a part of all the conversations?

Argh.

Inshallah, I have faith in the wordings of ALLAH 'We have created everything in pairs so that you may remember' So I have hopes that eventually this marriage will work out.

Just because things haven't turned out as I expected does not mean it is the end of the world. Because there is a master planner and he will keep me heading in the right direction and all unexpected events will be incorporated into moving towards his plan. I just have to submit myself to his compassionate will.

"Now isn't the right time to get yourself tangled with feelings you are not sure about. We have a very important case to solve," Dilshad deadpanned.

"I'm not involved with her," Aahil replied with a serious note.

"Can I suggest something?"

"Fine. Go on."

"Stop fighting with your wife. It will cause awkwardness, we need to work as a team if we need to search the file and it will not be possible if you keep considering her as a cheat or insult her every five minutes."

"I will try to put her past aside and try focusing on the present and act pleasant, though I can't promise to act all sugary with her."

---------------------------

Perspiration dewed my lips as I walked the length of the big, dining room with its carved furniture, tracked every step of the way by Aahil's cool appraisal.

"I knew this would be a great idea," he stated.

I flushed, self-conscious the way he was staring at me with admiration.

Admiration? Was I mad?

Aahil insisted that we have lunch together as he had been tied up in work for the past days and we were hardly giving an impression of a newlywed couple to the onlookers and he did not wish for our families to worry over that.

"The colour of the dress looks stunning on you."

It was a simple red dress which I had chosen in preference to the dozen more expensive-looking outfits.

The rich and famous Sir Aahil not to forget the egoistic and dominant too. He of all the people was complimenting me? Did he wake up with amnesia?

I eyed him suspiciously.

Disturbing amusement flared in his brilliant brown eyes, "I think its time we called a truce."

"A ......truce?" I echoed uncertainly.

Just then Mariam appeared beaming behind a huge bouquet of flowers.

"Forgive me," It said on the card. Two high spots of colour flared over my cheekbones.

Forgive him? not if he crawled and begged for a million years!

"Last night I should have been a little more considerate, keeping in view the state you were in," Aahil gritted between clenched teeth.

"I don't need your sympathy, not when I am fine or nor when I am sick."

Aahil shifted his broad shoulders in a fluid shrug. He pulled a chair for me and only after I had made myself comfortable did he take a seat opposite to mine.

I picked up my knife and fork to embark on the first course of the meal. Somehow I did not want to look at him any more.

I preoccupied my gaze on the elaborately presented dish lying on the white linen table.

Aahil's phone vibrated and he looked at me.

"Go on, pick it up." I urged.

His facial expression changed to grim, "No, I don't want the media to be involved."

Silence.

"We will think of some solution."

Silence.

"The whole act took place in my private property so whether I intend to carry the case further or not depends solely on me," He replied with inborn confidence.

I was still looking at my plate but was listening to every word he spoke on the line.

"What? If Isaac continues to act stubborn and does not reveal anything then I cannot stop the police from using their might."

I dropped my cutlery in a noisy clatter.

My chin came up and with pained eyes, I muttered a No!

"Uncle Haroon's family will be devasted. He is their only son and I am sure he is a nice guy. He would never do an immoral act. Please save him," I pleaded.

"Why do you seem so desperate to save him?" He studied my face with cool, dark incensive eyes.

"Because I believe him to be innocent."

"Then, why did you choose not to marry your boyfriend? While you clearly think very highly of him," Aahil drawled with derision.

"He is a childhood friend, not my boyfriend!"

Shimmering dark brown eyes collided ferociously on me. Aahil expelled a breath in a driven hiss, "There's a fool born every minute and I am not one of them."

Staring into his scorching dark eyes, I felt my heart lurch and my mouth go dry.

Aahil gazed back at me in pounding, pulsing silence. I felt incredibly difficult to breathe.

I rose almost clumsily upright, "I am not feeling hungry anymore," I muttered unsteadily and walked out of the room as fast as my feet could carry me. It hurt so very much that he termed me with Isaac all the time.

Peering into the room with tear-filled eyes that seemed to be bustling with people fussing with office equipment and a group of security men discussing something, I cannoned blindly into Mariam and then fled out of the open front door into the sunlight.

Even the courtyard was empty and I ran past the van which was industriously unloading. I desperately sought cover and privacy in the way that an injured animal seeks darkness.

Only then did I allow a convulsive sob to escape me. I sat on one of the stone steps and covered my face with my hands.

All of a sudden, from behind me came to supportive arms and held me. I went rigid, a long shudder of expressed emotion quivering through me.

"Don't be scared, It is only me," Aahil muttered roughly and held me close to him as if it was the most natural thing in the world that he should hold me in a comforting embrace.

Aahil released his breath in a hiss of impatience, "I had every reason to be outraged by your actions. The way you easily discarded Isaac and married me. Possibly I overreacted but I was shocked by your impulsive decision to marry me, but as we are married now and nothing can change that therefore I will try to act more civilized."

I started walking away as I was too upset to even give a reply.

Aahil stalked behind me a few steps and then swiftly he turned back towards the villa and strode with daunting purpose. "You are coming inside to finish your meal," he muttered.

"I won't."

"My wife is not going to sulk in the garden and snivel for the entertainment of the staff."

"You promised to act civilized a moment an ago, but then it would be too much to expect any kindness from you," I gulped my tears, suddenly my bruised temple started throbbing and I sent an involuntary hand to massage the pain.

Aahil produced an immaculate white handkerchief and dabbed my eyes with surprising gentleness.

I studied him with reddened eyes.

Every move Aahil made was plunging me into deeper confusion.

Who was he?

My husband? My protector? O someone who hated me?

"I am Sorry If saying so makes you feel better than be it. The doctor advised that you need rest so stop worrying over every petty issue. There are people who know their job and no injustice will be done to Isaac."

We walked in silence towards the villa and as we were about to take our seats in the dining table we heard noises.

The security men were running here and there. Dilshad came and told something in Aahil's ears. He looked startled, "Dilshad, I am sure you can handle the situation. I cannot leave Aleena alone at the moment when there is every possible chance for that man to be lurking in the villa. I am not sure about the faithfulness my own men anymore."

I looked at him bemused. Was his care towards me related to me being his responsibility?

As if I cared.

I sat down at the table and started eating the first course, even though I had the very little appetite I acted as if I was thoroughly enjoying my lunch. I did not want to look at him nor did I want to look curious enough to ask him about what was going on.

He was speaking rapidly on phone in low voice, but his eyes were glued to me. He acted like the moment he would remove his gaze, I would be kidnapped.

Who was he kidding? I wasn't that worthy!

I finished my meal and was about to leave the room.

"Sit where you are, when we know it is safe you will be allowed to go," Aahil murmured through the clenched mouth.

"I am surprised you did not plan someone to kill me," I snapped determined to make him realise how much his rude remarks could hurt, "Oh, I forgot, didn't I? I am only worth something to you as long as I am alive and breathing!"

I strode towards my bedroom hastily as I couldn't sit around and listen to every little command of his.

As I opened the door to my bedroom I shrieked in horror. The whole room was messed up. All my clothes were scattered on the floor and it looked like someone had thoroughly searched the room and in their haste to do so had thrown all the unnecessary things on the floor.

Before I could get a grip on my nerves, I saw something else. There on the mirror of the dressing table was something written boldly with blood.

I hated the sight. I took deep breaths and went near it to be filled with extreme panic. I read the words written across it------

Darling Aleena,

I hope you love the colour red.

And there was an envelope glued to the mirror. I opened the paper gathering up all my courage.

"I have no personal issues with you, so stop making yourself as my favourite target.

Just start using your brain cells really hard and tell me the whereabouts of the file before I lose my patience and you loose all that is close to your heart."

With loads of love,
**keep guessing**

---------------------------------

I would love to see comments from every silent reader.

Even a small comment would do.

And thank you so much to those who always vote and leave behind awesome comments.

Vote * comment * follow # <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.4K 1.4K 21
Vahi massom chehra Jo 2 saal pehle dekha tha Jo aaj bhi raat ko sone nahi deta. Vahi nili ankhe Jo 2 saalo pehle dekhi thi bilkul samundar ki t...
103K 8.4K 32
Their love was like a wildfire. Once spread, there was no stopping them. What started as an innocent glance became the magnitude of their flame. * *...
6.8K 587 21
Her knees felt weak. She sat down on the last stairs. By now, the voices in her head had subsided, and her mind felt blank. With her racing heartbeat...
267K 17.7K 38
She sat on couch closing her eyes in a bridal posture.He entered the room and after collecting all his guts he spoke " I just wanted to tell you that...