No One Ever Looks Up (VA - Ro...

By ShiloQuetchenbach

*A Vampire Academy AU Fanfic* Rose can no longer stand pretending that she and Dimitri are nothing more than... More

Chapter 1: No One Ever Looks Up
Chapter 2: Waking Up to You
Chapter 3: They Come First
Chapter 4: The Talk
Chapter 6: Pizza Party!
Chapter 7: You Know Sergei?!
Chapter 8: Just Call Me Mr. Efficient
Chapter 9: Are We There Yet?
Chapter 10: The Highlight of my Week
Chapter 11: If You Can't Beat 'Em...

Chapter 5: That's Not Your Key

4.2K 110 7
By ShiloQuetchenbach

I was still reeling when we left Alberta's office. Dimitri took one look at my face and slipped his hand into mine, squeezing it gently.

"Come on – I'll make you dinner." I smiled up at him gratefully, looking forward to a quiet evening in, a sexy Russian cooking dinner... but of course, life had other plans.

"Rose!" Lissa motioned me over to where the others were sitting at one of the picnic tables in the courtyard. 'And bring Guardian Belikov.' she added through the bond. Her nose wrinkled as she thought it, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Please, Liss," I grinned at her when we were close enough to have some degree of privacy, "call him Dimitri – at least in private and through the bond."

"I dunno, Rose..." she started.

"Or," I interrupted, as I flopped down on the bench across from her, "I'll be forced to call your boyfriend Lord Ozera."

"I'll do my best." She said hurriedly. I grinned at her horrified expression.

"Atta girl, Liss. Knew you'd see it my way."

Dimitri looked adorably awkward through our exchange. He shifted from one foot to another uneasily, and his guardian's mask had slipped enough that he wore a slight frown.

Christian and Eddie were both glaring at him, which was obviously adding to his discomfort. Mason, bless him, just looked confused.

"Uh, Rose?" he finally asked, "Did I miss something?"

"That's right!" Christian smacked his forehead. "You missed lunch! Where were you, anyway?"

"Retaking that math test." Mason grimaced. "I know I told you guys about it. So spill – what did I miss? Besides lunch, I mean. While we're at it, why is Guardian Belikov here? And why is he fidgeting?"

Dimitri glared at him. "I do not fidget."

"Uh, yeah, Comrade, you sort of are." I couldn't help laughing at him. "Here," I patted the bench next to me, "have a seat. And try to relax. They don't bite, I promise."

"Actually Rose," said Eddie hesitantly, "remember that one time..."

"Guys!" Mason sounded annoyed. "Focus! I'm feeling seriously left out, here."

"Rose." Dimitri warned. I followed his gaze to the next table, where some of the students seemed a little too interested in our conversation.

"Sorry, Mase." I apologized. "But this isn't really the best place to talk about it."

We all shared an awkward glance.

"Maybe we should move this discussion to my room?" Lissa suggested.

"Um, Liss?"

"Yeah, Rose?"

"What about Natalie?"

"Oh." She looked momentarily guilty. "I sort of forgot about her."

Not difficult to do, I mused – though I knew it was cruel. Natalie was just... forgettable. But I definitely didn't want her in on our secret. It wasn't that I didn't trust her, exactly... Oh, who was I kidding. It was exactly that I didn't trust her. Natalie had a tendency to hang around with the school's most notorious gossips, and also to revel in spreading whatever rumors came her way. If we talked openly in Lissa's room, the whole school would know about our relationship by the end of the day. And then Alberta would kill us. If my mom didn't get to us first. I shuddered and looked pointedly at Lissa. The bond may not be two ways, but we know each other well enough that she can usually pick up on what I'm trying to tell her.

"Right." She decided. "Definitely not my room." 'Your room?' she silently asked.

She had a point. Dimitri's room was out – our presence there would be pretty hard to explain if anyone asked – and there was no way I was voluntarily stepping foot in Christian's. Really, my room was the best choice. Too bad it was a disaster. But then, I reflected, it was always a disaster. They should all be used to it by now.

"OK." I nodded.

At the confused looks, I clarified. "My room. This discussion really requires privacy."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" asked Christian, slapping his knee. "Let's go!"

"Um, OK." I shook my head. I really don't know what Lissa sees in that boy.

We gathered up our bags and trooped out. Lissa locked arms with Christian and started skipping down the sidewalk, dragging him with her. Eddie and Mason grabbed hold of one another and started skipping exaggeratedly, mocking them. They only managed to look drunk.

I sighed. "Come on, Comrade. Let's get this over with." We most emphatically did not skip.

We walked sedately across campus behind the others, trying to visibly distance ourselves from their antics. I imagined we looked to outsiders like two calm, professional guardians trailing after a pack of unruly teenagers. Also, it gave us a chance to talk.

"Don't worry Comrade." I squeezed his hand. Wait – when did we start holding hands? Huh. Maybe this 'secret relationship' thing was going to be harder than I thought.

"Rose?"

"Yeah?"

"Were you going somewhere with that?"

"What?"

He looked down at me, half indulgently and half worriedly.

"Did you forget what you were saying?"

"I was saying something? Huh."

"You need some food." he said decisively. "You've already missed two meals today."

"Well, duh." I gestured to the lovable idiots up ahead. "But we're gonna be busy for awhile, I'm afraid. Food will have to wait."

He frowned. "Maybe I can do something about that."

"Really? Oh, Comrade," I sighed, "if you can get us food, I'll do anything you ask."

"Anything?" He raised an eyebrow. "I'll hold you to that."

I punched him playfully on the arm. "Come on, comrade. We're falling behind."

When we reached my door, the others were waiting impatiently.

"C'mon, Rose!" whined Mason. "I gotta pee!"

"...And the bathroom is over there." I pointed across the hall. "You live in this building too, remember?"

"Oh. Right. Be back in a sec." He hurried off.

I shook my head. Sometimes I worried about that boy. I turned and dug in my bag, frowning. "I know that I put that key in here this morning..." I muttered.

"Here." Dimitri took the bag from my hands and reached in purposefully, only to frown when, seconds later, his hand came up empty. "Rose, when was the last time you had your key?"

"I told you, Comrade, I put it... Oh." I suddenly remembered where I'd woken up this morning. That brought back memories of putting the key on my dresser last night, since that dress didn't have pockets, and leaving my room...through the window. Hmm. And when I'd stopped by my room to grab my practice bag that afternoon, I hadn't thought to grab the key. Although... "I left my door unlocked." I wiggled the knob. Locked.

"Oh." Lissa said in a small voice. "I might have locked it when we came here looking for you this morning."

I glared at her.

"What? I always lock my door."

"Yeah, Liss," I sighed, "but you also always have your key. You guys hang out here – I gotta go get another key from the office."

Dimitri's arm barred my way. "No need." He said gently, digging into his pocket only to produce...

"My key! But, why didn't you say anything?" I frowned at him, puzzled.

He coughed. "Because, Rose, that's not your key."

"Yes it is – see?" I opened the door.

"It's a key to your room, yes."

My eyes traveled to my dresser where, sure enough, my key lay. "Oh. But..."

"I had a copy made. Because you're always forgetting yours." he hurried to add. Sure, Comrade. Not suspicious at all.

Lissa eyed him speculatively, Christian glared (predictably), and I just smirked at him. He started to fidget again, so I took pity on him.

"Well, thanks. You've proved that it is, indeed, quite handy for you to have a key. So I suppose you can have this back." I winked.

He blushed, but pocketed it.

Mason walked over then. "Why are you guys still standing around out here?"

I smacked my hand to my forehead. "Mase, we really have to work on this. At this rate, I'll spend the rest of my life trying to catch you up on things you've missed!"

"Wait, what?"

I rolled my eyes. "Just get in here, you guys. You too Mase – we don't need you missing anything else."

I shoved everybody in, double-checked to be sure we hadn't forgotten anyone, and then went in myself, shutting the door behind me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.9K 2.3K 31
This is a different type of story Dimitri still brings Rose & Lissa back from Portland. But that is where almost everything changes very few things a...
155K 3.2K 44
Nov. 5, 2021 update: restricted (mature content) chapters published as a separate work have been unpublished and won't be accessible. ****ALTERNATE...
192K 5.2K 37
*A Vampire Academy AU fanfic* An AU fic that branches away from the main storyline during Shadow Kiss: after the cabin, fight, and cave rescue. Dimit...
6.4K 284 38
Dimitri still feels guilty for how he treated Rose when he was a Strigoi. When he starts receiving letters from Nathan, detailing exactly all the dis...