State of Grace (Complete)

Od JaneyJordan

Grace, Chris, and Ian...neighbours and best friends. From the age of four onward, these three become best fr... Viac

Saved by the boys
The only thing constant is...
Garbage Grace
Getting Even
Divided from the boys
Best Friends
Trouble Ahead
Blue Christmas
Here Comes the Bride
Interested party...
Revenge
Grades 5 and 6
Scarred
Dancing
Going, going, gone
The Same but Completely Different
Out
Clothes
The Cool Mom
Putting the Ass in Assignment
Another Wedding
Mess with Grace...
Alcohol and Outs
Part-time and pick-ups
Holiday Kisses
Left Behind
Falling Down
Screw You All
Bottom
Stepping Up
Wouldn't Death be Better?
Salvaging School
Disappearing Grace
The Christmas After
A New Year
Twins go to Prom, I go to Court
Graduation Pictures
Losing Chris
Moving On
An Old Friend and A New Tradition
Christmas and a Thrilling New Year's Kiss
Dating a Rapist
Standing Tall
Challenges and Changes
Storms and Shampoo
Because You're Here
Reunited
Together

Sharing?

215 20 7
Od JaneyJordan

NINE GRADE FOUR

"So, Honeybun, what kind of party do you want?" Daddy is home from a conference and we are all sitting at the kitchen table having breakfast.

"I was thinking of maybe having a pool party?" I suggest, hopefully. "Maggie could probably be a lifeguard and I know Andrea would be okay with us using the pool."

My mom doesn't like the suggestion and begins to shoot it down, "Grace, that's not a good idea, it's not safe and it's an imposition to expect them to host your party."

"Now Carla," Daddy starts, I'm sure the idea of a party where he doesn't have to do anything is something he likes the sound of. "It doesn't hurt to ask. After all, we did let Grace be in their wedding." That makes it sound like it was a favour, rather than an honour, and I'm confused. My dad sounds kind of selfish.

"If you want to ask, be my guest." Mommy's voice is tight, and she gets up and walks away.

"I'll ask later today, Sweetiepie." Daddy stands and drops his dishes in the sink for me to clean up.

Andrea and Steve are actually excited to help me with my party. My mom pays Maggie a bunch of money to lifeguard and buy food, and Steve and Andrea decorate. Melody and Audra had worked out a guest list a few weeks ago, so I have invited all the girls from my grade, a few from the grade above, all the boys from the twins grade, and a few from mine. All in all, twenty people were invited, and eighteen have said they are coming.

It's an okay party, but I don't ever really enjoy myself. The boys run all over the place being, well, ten year old boys, and the girls try to act older than they are. I think I would have been happier just sticking to the same thing as previous years, with just me and the twins, but I guess things can't stay the same forever.

"What's wrong, Gracie?" Maggie come up to me as I sit and watch the other kids flirting.

"I don't know, I think I would have liked a party like last year better."

"This one is pretty good, though."

I don't want her to think I'm not grateful that her parents agreed to do this because I know my parents never would have, "No, it's a great party, it looks wonderful and the food is amazing. I mean everyone is having a fantastic time."

"So then, why aren't you?"

"I don't know, it's just Audra and Melody wanted me to have a boy-girl party because they think the twins are cute. And I don't know...I just don't like it." I bite my lip, trying hard to think of a way to express what I mean.

"It's hard, Grace, girls tend to think of this kind of stuff before boys, and really, even boys in high school aren't totally mature enough for relationships. If you're happy just being friends with boys, rather than wanting to go out with them, that's totally fine. No one should make you feel bad that you aren't ready yet. Besides, I'm pretty sure Chris and Ian wouldn't want to share you anyway. Any guy who looks at you will have a problem."

"But I don't think I want to share them, either. It really bugs me that Audra is interested in them even though she can't tell which is which. That just seems really silly."

"It is really silly, but that's the way this stuff goes, especially in elementary school. Besides, whatever any girl has with either of my brothers, it won't be the same as the way they feel about you. The girls or boys will come and go, but you guys will be friends forever." Maggie gives me a big hug, and I feel a lot better. Then Ian pushes Audra in the pool and I feel a ton better, especially when she comes up sputtering about how much she hates him.

In grade four, I am glad for my friendships with Audra and Melody, even if Audra is bossy, because the twins are in a different class again. I still walk to and from school with at least one of them most days, but sometimes I am alone, and it's okay. Ian and Chris join the soccer league and the girls at school all swoon when the boys all play on the school yard during lunch, or at least most of the boys. As much as they are just playing for fun, I can see the boys showing off, looking to see who's watching them. The whole prospect is pretty frightening.

Some days, Max sits with me, because he has asthma, and also agrees that everyone is being pretty silly. "Look at them, acting like that. I mean Freddie isn't even watching where he's running."

Max is right, Freddie's jogging up the field, watching Audra, except she's looking at Chris.

"Go Ian," she yells from the sidelines, and I laugh. Except Audra's cheering makes Freddie really angry.

Kyle takes the ball up the field and is getting ready to shoot on one of the sixth grade boys, who's playing goalie, but Ian takes the ball away passing it to Chris. Audra cheers again, and I can see Freddie storming towards Chris, a ball of fury.

I see something bad even before it happens. I have to get to the field...I get on my feet and start to run towards the game, pushing my way between the players. Freddie collides hard with Chris, hitting him from behind to knock him off the ball. It's a dirty play, and Chris goes flying, landing awkwardly. There's a loud snap and a scream of pain, and I am by his side in an instant. He's laying on his stomach, arms out to the side, one at a totally unnatural angle.

"Don't move, Chris. It's okay." I focus on his face, because I know something is broken and I know it's bad.

"Gracie, I really hurt." Chris tells me, his face deathly pale. Ian runs up and kneels beside me.

"Just stay still, Chris," Ian is terrified, but keeps his voice level. "Someone get a teacher," he calls to the kids milling around us.

"Oh, Ian, are you okay?" Audra bends down, then sees Chris' arm. "Oh my god, Ian, is that your bone sticking out?"

Chris starts panicking and I'm furious. "That's Chris, you idiot, not Ian, and you're not helping." I'm sure Audra won't be my friend anymore, and I really don't care. "Chris, it's okay, just stay still. Help is on the way, okay? Take deep breaths."

"Gracie, I'm going to..." Chris retches and vomits on me a bit, but I don't flinch. I know he's really badly hurt, Audra is right, there's a yellowy-white stick like bone sticking out of his lower left arm poking through his skin. There's blood on the ground that he hasn't noticed yet and I hope he doesn't notice, although maybe if he passes out it would be a good thing. "Gracie, I'm so sorry." And he starts to tremble, shivering violently.

"Ian—your coat—put it on his legs." I direct him while I take off mine and put it over Chris' back to keep him warm. Then I wipe the vomit clear from around his mouth with the sleeve of my sweater. Ian grabs my hand and squeezes tight with worry. "It'll be okay, you'll see." I'm basically trying to calm them both because Ian's not used to seeing Chris hurt—usually it's the other way around.

A teacher finally comes up, cell phone in hand, on with the 911 dispatcher, "I don't know, one of the Reed boys," she's saying, but I can tell she's really nervous, trying to avoid looking at Chris. When she bends down she looks like she might faint, so I take over. I know I have to help and I just want my friend better.

I take the phone from her, "It's Chris Reed, he's nine and will be ten next week. He has a broken arm and is shaking. The bone is sticking out a bit."

"Okay," the dispatcher replies, "Who am I speaking to?"

"I'm Grace Yardley and he's my best friend. We stuck coats over him to keep him warm, but he's really shaking and pale. He threw up once and he looks like he's sweating." I am going through everything I think they might want to know, thank goodness for hospital shows on tv.

"Good idea with the coats, did he hit his head?"

"No, he got pushed forward and fell with his arm out, but it broke. I heard it, and you can see some bone. His breathing is okay, but kind of panting a bit, and I cleared away the vomit in case he's sick again. Please hurry."

"The paramedics are on their way Grace. You're doing great."

"Mommy..." Chris says weakly, I know he wants Andrea.

"Can you call his mother? Her name is Andrea Kazinsky and she works at Black Books Accounting. I'm sure she'll want to meet us at the hospital. I'm sorry I don't know the phone number."

"Thank you Grace, we can look up the number and call right away. You should be able to hear the sirens, now. They're getting close."

"Yes, I can. Thank you." I pass the phone back to the open-mouthed teacher, snapping her out of her state of shock.

"Chris, the ambulance is almost here. You're going to be okay," I reassure him.

"Everyone back, and out of the way. Let the paramedics through," the teacher snaps back into action when the ambulance parks at the edge of the pavement.

The crowd clears and the paramedics run up, carrying a backboard and their medical bags. "Okay, son, we'll take care of you." They take out an emergency blanket and toss the coats aside. I retrieve them, making Ian put his back on, because he's shivering now, too.

The bell rings for the end of recess, but Ian and I don't move. Instead, Ian puts his arm over my shoulder, holding me close while we watch them stabilize Chris' arm. They prepare to give Chris an IV and he starts to freak out when he sees the needle.

"GRACE! IAN!" Chris screams.

"We're right here, Chris, it's going to be fine. They are trying to help you feel better. Let them do their job so they can take you to the hospital." I am so tired now, and scared, and everything is starting to catch up with me, even though it's probably only been ten minutes since the accident happened. Finally I start to cry, but softly, so Chris can't hear. I don't want to upset him more.

"Okay, Chris, we're going to roll you over, now. We'll be as gentle as possible, but it might hurt." They have the backboard ready and roll Chris right on to it. He gags again from the pain, throwing up on the grass, narrowly missing the paramedic's bag. Then, thankfully he faints.

"He's lost consciousness," one of the paramedics says, concerned.

"He saw the blood," Ian calls out. "It always makes him faint."

We follow the backboard to the ambulance where they load Chris in. He regains consciousness again before they shut the doors, "GRACE, IAN!!!" Chris is screaming in fear.

"Please, please let us come," Ian pleads.

"Hop in," says one of the paramedics, so we do. "Take a seat on the bench and stay back."

"We're here, Chris," I call to him, trying to help him calm down. "You're going to be fine."

"Hang in there Chris." Ian puts his arm around me and I sink against him, exhausted.

When we get to the hospital, they wheel Chris out on a stretcher and we follow them into the emergency department. Chris is taken directly into an examination room, and one of the paramedics take us to some chairs to wait.

"You did a great job, you two, keeping him calm and warm," he tells us. "You both helped keep him stable while we were on our way, and you should be proud."

"It was all Grace. She even talked to the people on the phone," Ian tells him.

"Grace, you did a fantastic job! I'm going to see if we can find you something else to wear, okay?" I look down and realize I have some vomit and blood on me. I'm not even sure how the blood got there. I nod and he walks away for a minute.

"You did do great, Gracie. You're so strong. How did you know how to do all that?"

"I don't know, I just knew that you both needed me," I tell him and I burst into tears.

"Don't cry, Gracie, it's okay now. Chris is going to be all better, you'll see." Ian holds me tight and I cry against him.

"At least Audra will be able to tell you two apart for awhile." I start to giggle despite myself.

"Ugh, Audra. I could never like her. Not after what she did to your hair." And I feel a little bit better.

The paramedic comes back with a blanket, and hot chocolate for us both, as well as a small pair of surgical scrubs for me and a plastic bag for my soiled clothes. I change quickly in the bathroom, only to find Maggie, Andrea and Steve sitting with Ian and the paramedic when I return.

"Thank you so much Grace, I heard about everything you did for Chris." Andrea has tears in her eyes and I give her a big hug while Steve pats me on the back. Then I go and sit wrapped in the blanket with Ian while they talk about surgery and Chris' fracture. Ian is still shivering a little, so I snuggle against him for comfort and warmth, falling asleep, his arm over my shoulder.

Chris' surgery goes well, they have to insert a metal pin, and he spends a few days in the hospital. When he comes home, he misses a few more days of school and is taking a lot of medication. The twins cancel their birthday party, and instead have a few people over for a movie, myself included. In their basement, Chris presents me with a little gift for being such a big help when he needed it. It's a little figurine of an angel, complete with ringlets, putting a sling on an injured boy. I give his good side a hug and sit next to him for the movie.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

My Lifeline Od Val ♡

Tínedžerská beletria

1.5M 38.1K 55
Two teens struggle to survive their way through the last year of sixth form. Neither have ever communicated with one another, not once throughout the...
112 0 6
After experiencing the ultimate tragedy, Grace finds herself uprooted from her familiar surroundings and forced to move across the country to live wi...
16.6K 396 75
When Emma moves back home after dropping out of med school, she is not excited to share a house with her mother again. They do not get along, and she...
Reef Knight Od CJ <3

Tínedžerská beletria

215K 3.9K 41
Reef Knight was Ivette Winter's neighbour and best friend. Since the age of 4 they've done everything together. However this friendship changed as t...