Nothing Burns Like the Cold (...

By worriedpeach

Phil Lester is 'special', having the power to manipulate water with just a flick of his hand. Because of this... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Epilogue
Extra - Dan's POV

Chapter Seven

12.2K 726 1.9K
By worriedpeach

They decided to visit the technical class attraction first after Phil nearly lost his shit when he saw it. His reaction caused PJ to snicker behind long fingers and Dan and Michelle to roll their eyes.

"What the actual heck?!" Phil exclaimed, stopping in the middle of the sidewalk. His eyes widened to saucers and he could feel the breath knocked out of him, gaping with such shot that he's surprised he didn't actually wee himself. "How in the ever living crap did the technical class fit an entire amusement park on the academy grounds?!"

"They're the technical class, loser," Michelle scoffed. She flicked a piece of brown hair over her shoulder as she got a tube of strawberry flavoured chapstick from her purse. "They can basically do anything, even if it means fitting an amusement park within the school gates." She pursed her lips as she applied the chapstick and Phil found himself watching as she did so. He became hyperaware of how chapped his own lips were and resisted the temptation to lick them.

Right in front of them was a large amusement park, the smell of funnel cakes and candy floss overtaking his senses. The noise of screaming students filled their ears as they rode on one of the roller coasters, small enough to still fit on the academy grounds, yet still big enough to give them some sort of thrill. Phil was absolutely amazed and there was excitement filling his bones at how awesome his school was.

"We need to go on the roller coaster," he demanded much like a small child. All he needed was to stomp his foot and he would look exactly like a complaining kid. "It's something I need to do for science."

"For science," PJ snorted. "Right."

They continued on anyways, entering through the gates that read 'Holiday World' in large script. Phil held back his gasps of awe, instead keeping quiet as Dan led them through the crowds of people. There were dozens of small shops, students selling the items that they made, many items that were quite unusual to find in normal shops outside of the academy. Phil saw a person selling living dolls, ones that waved at people as they walked up and made conversation as if they had a mind of their own. According to the sign on the shop, the doll connected to the person's soul based on their personality and became their lifelong friend. Another person was selling a hair accessory that straightened your hair just by touching it to your head, and vice versa.

"These are amazing, aren't they?" Phil breathed out.

"It's nothing unusual," Dan replied flatly. "You get used to it."

Phil puffed out his cheeks, trying to hold himself back from snapping at Dan. His belly rumbled and he reminded himself that he hadn't eaten since that morning. Considering the amount of food surrounding them, he's surprised that he even lasted that long. "We should eat, I'm starved!"

"Go get something, then."

PJ glared at Dan's dismissive tone but it lacked the hardness of real anger. "Come on, Phil, I'll go with you." But he wasn't looking at him, instead staring at Dan with almost a challenging expression that made Phil's head hurt with confusion. He almost felt like a confused pokemon because of it.

Phil turned his face to watch Dan's expression, noting the way his jaw hardened and his lips pressed together in a line. He seemed as if he was clenching his teeth. "I'll go as well then, I guess."

Peej's own expression changed completely, a look of wonder coming over his teasing gaze. His mouth fell slack and he muttered something under his breath that made Dan's cheeks turn a weirdly red colour. Phil wasn't positive but it sounded somewhat like he had said, "I thought that might be the case," which didn't really make sense but he didn't question it.

His stomach growled again. "Are you guys coming or not? I'm about to eat a freaking horse."

The rest of the group agreed and they made their way over to one of the funnel cake stands, Phil fawning over the different flavours like he'd never seen them before. There was an oreo one, a reese's one, even a birthday cake one, and Phil felt like he would explode from the variety of choices. He ended up getting the oreo funnel cake, moaning into his bite with an exaggerated voice. "This is like heaven," he sighed, ignoring the looks from his companions as he ravished the entire thing.

Dan raised his eyebrow, seemingly amused. He was chewing on some fried cheese slowly, staring at Phil with an unreadable expression.

"What?" Phil asked, slightly annoyed from being stared at so intensely.

Dan reached into his pocket and pulled out something that looked suspiciously like a jelly bean. "Try this," he said coolly. Upon closer inspection, they were jelly beans, sitting bright and blue in the palm of his hand. "I assume you've never had magic beans before. You're really missing out."

Phil's eyes widened and he snatched it out of Dan's hand eagerly. "Thank you!" He chimed. He was a mixture of happy and shocked from the kindness that Dan was showing his way, popping them into his mouth without a moment of hesitation, just as Michelle started laughing hysterically and PJ shouted for him to not eat it. He opened his mouth to ask why when he realized that his mouth wouldn't open and his vocal cords wouldn't even make a sound of protest.

That mother fucker.

"Great one!" Michelle was snickering behind her hand, manicured with pink tips. "You're so funny, Dan!"

Phil glared at the brunette, listening intently as PJ started explaining that the technical class sells magic jelly beans to play pranks on people. It's basically like jelly bean roulette, each colour having a different effect. The blue ones were either raspberry flavoured or they made you unable to speak for thirty minutes. The red ones made you fall in love with the first person you saw, purple making you unable to lie, and so on. And since Phil had just eaten two of the blue jelly beans, that meant he was unable to talk for an entite hour.

Phil was going to kill Dan.

The worst thing about not being able to talk, in Phil's opinion, was when they decided to go on the roller coasters. They were fun, of course, but it didn't do anything for when Phil wanted to scream his head off. Instead, he had to think about screaming, and that definitely wasn't nearly as fun as it would have been if he was actually able to make his vocal cords work.

And Dan, the little mongrel, decided to be funny and ask what he thought of the coasters. Phil couldn't wait to give him a piece of his mind. When he could talk.

Nearly forty-five minutes had passed by the time they decided to ditch the theme park and head over to the latent ability attraction, which was basically just a bunch of stands that showed off their ability in a cool way. The somatic class apparently was putting a play on later that night of Beauty and the Beast, which Michelle was gloating about because apparently she was cast as Gaston. (Phil thought that was rather fitting to her personality).

"Hey look," Dan said suddenly, a smirk clear in his tone. Phil turned his glare back on him, not entirely over the fact that he was mute because of his trickery. "A mind reading stand. Wonder what Phil's thinking right now."

Only that I can't wait to punch you in the face, Phil thought bitterly.

"Shall we find out?" Michelle sneered, cackling at her own joke. Does that even classify as a joke? Phil was having trouble understanding what was so funny. He portrayed this by scowling at her as scary as he could possibly be at a moment like that.

PJ cut in then, giving Phil his own concerned look. "Shouldn't we stop? He's obviously not very happy." God bless Peej, Phil could kiss him right then.

And of course, they just had to have walked up to the mindreading table right then, the student giving him a once-over with a smirk as he obviously read his thoughts. "Ah," he sighed out as he gave the rest of the group a shit-eating grin. "I see that Phil here is thinking about how much he would like to kiss PJ!"

Phil clenched his jaw tight and kept his gaze glued to the floor. That was definitely out of context. Fucking mindreaders.

"And now he's cursing me in his mind for taking everything out of context. PJ is thinking about how he wouldn't mind so much if Phil kissed him, Michelle is about to punch Phil in the face, and Dan-."

"Alright," Dan cut in, giving the guy a cold stare that made him stop talking immediately. Phil could feel Dan's skin raise in temperature by a few degrees and he stared in horror as he begged in his mind for Dan not to do anything drastic. "Good to know. We'll be leaving."

The guy frowned. "Wait! Since you're here, why don't you get your fortune told? Obviously, it's a true fortune teller considering where we are." He chuckled to prove his point, waving his hands around wildly. "What do you say?"

"I suppose it couldn't hurt," PJ said. His cheeks were bright red and he refused to look at Phil. It's not like there was anything to be embarrassed about, they were friends and friends were able to kiss occasionally. On the cheek, at least.

Mindreader dude grinned largely, his teeth showing in all their pure white glory. "Great! Right this way, please." He led the way through a purple cloth tent, which was rather dark and hard to see inside. There was a girl sitting in the middle of the room, her fingers clasped together as she stared at the intruders. Phil shivered. It seemed as if she was staring through them.

"Welcome," she greeted, smiling gently. Her eyes were a dark golden in the low glow of the room. "I suppose you've come for a reading?"

The group nodded mutely, unsure of what to say. Well, that and the fact that Phil couldn't even speak in the first place.

"Excellent." She closed her eyes and exhaled. The air was thick, silence overtaking with just the noise of heavy breathing. Phil wondered why they were even here. "I see darkness in your futures," she stated. Her eyes opened to little slits and she pointed a lazy finger at Phil. "There will come a time where you will have to make a decision that will change your life forever. You have to choose between life or death, a life of sorrow, or a life of forgotten memories. If you choose the correct path, you will eventually find happiness once again." Her eyes slid over to PJ. "You will experience an admiration like you've never experienced before, but you will not succeed in it. But don't fret, as there is always room for improvement. I also sense that you will lose a close friend and will be ultimately alone unless you expand your circle and reach out to others."

Next was Michelle, who looked rather impatient. Phil didn't understand why she was still hanging out with them if she was so annoyed, but he figured he didn't want to ask. Maybe she was lonely. "Your power will bring both joy and despair to the lives of others. But if you focus on the despair, then you will lose the will to live. Therefore, you must befriend an enemy and focus on the happiness that your ability will ultimately bestow on others, and you will truly find your belonging in this world. I sense great change awaiting you." And finally, she rested her gaze on Dan. Her lips moved to press into a straight line, face paling. "You..." She murmured out, breathing deeply. Dan narrowed his eyes, challenging. "I also see a great change in you, a light in the midst of darkness. Hope, a new beginning." Her eyes darkened then and she looked down at her lap. Her voice was a mere whisper when she spoke again. "And then, I see nothing. Unless you stop using your ability, it will ultimately lead to your destruction. Your fate is in your own hands. I suggest you use that information wisely."

Phil glanced sharply over at Dan to find him refusing to meet anyone else's shocked gaze. "Dan," Phil choked out, barely registering the fact that he was able to speak once more. His hand reached out on it's own accord, sliding into the stiff grasp of Dan's. His skin was burning hot, a reminder that he was here, alive, amongst friends and people who truly cared about him.

"It's nothing," he said. "I'm going to be fine."

Phil frowned and squeezed his hand. "Are you sure?"

Dan didn't answer and he didn't respond to Phil's comforting squeeze. Instead, he slipped his fingers away from Phil's hold and walked outside, ignoring the rest of the group when they called for him to come back.

-

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry this chapter is a bit late getting up, but i suppose that it's only 45 minutes late for me xD If i ever don't update on time just assume that university is kicking my butt! Thanks for reading and i love all of you so much c:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255K 14.8K 18
It's my first fanfic, I'm sorry in advance. Basically a high school au where Dan and Phil are in different French classes, and the school has a limit...
343K 16.2K 28
Dan Howell is a good boy. He spends most of his time studying and does all his homework. Phil Lester is a bad boy. He's failed nearly every class, an...
32.7K 1K 34
Basically a story about Phan (obviously) where Phil is in the Royal Family and Dan is his best friend... Enjoy ^.^
1.2M 60.2K 23
Dan Howell has telekinesis - a power just like out of a comic book. Yet instead of protecting the universe as a brave superhero, he hides. He hides h...