Death & Magic (The Barefoot H...

De StevenJPemberton

A murder mystery set in a school for wizards. When apprentice wizard Adramal moves to a new school to complet... Mai multe

Death & Magic chapter 1 (The Barefoot Healer, volume I)
Death & Magic chapter 2 (The Barefoot Healer, volume I)
Death & Magic chapter 3
Death & Magic chapter 4
Death & Magic chapter 5
Death & Magic chapter 6
Death & Magic chapter 7
Death & Magic chapter 8
Death & Magic, chapter 9
Death & Magic chapter 10
Death & Magic chapter 11
Death & Magic chapter 12
Death & Magic chapter 13
Death & Magic chapter 14
Death & Magic chapter 15
Death & Magic chapter 16
Death & Magic chapter 17
Death & Magic chapter 19
Death & Magic chapter 20
Death & Magic chapter 21
Death & Magic chapter 22
Death & Magic chapter 23
Death & Magic chapter 24
Death & Magic chapter 25
Death & Magic chapter 26
Death & Magic chapter 27
Death & Magic chapter 28
Death & Magic chapter 29
Death & Magic chapter 30
Death & Magic chapter 31
Death & Magic chapter 32
Death & Magic chapter 33
Death & Magic chapter 34
Death & Magic chapter 35
Death & Magic chapter 36
Death & Magic chapter 37
Death & Magic chapter 38
Death & Magic chapter 39
Death & Magic chapter 40
Death & Magic chapter 41
Death & Magic chapter 42
Death & Magic chapter 43
Death & Magic chapter 44
Death & Magic chapter 45

Death & Magic chapter 18

3.2K 197 5
De StevenJPemberton

Chapter 18

“Are you sure this is a safe place to meet?” The voice was Eskalyn’s. And what was he doing here?

“I think it’s called ‘hiding in plain sight,’” said Lorgrim. “Everybody knows I like to visit the garden after dinner. What could be more unremarkable than the First of the Council wandering by and deciding to discuss a few academic matters with me?”

Eskalyn pushed the door closed and approached Lorgrim warily, like a wolf sneaking up on a lone sheep. He stopped on the opposite side of the flower bed from Lorgrim, his back to Adramal. “Academic matters? Is that what we’re calling this now?” He went around the end of the flower bed and stood a few feet from Lorgrim. He never took his eyes off the seated man. Adramal saw now that he had a satchel similar to Lorgrim’s, if not identical. He held it as though he would rather die than let go.

Lorgrim held out his satchel. Eskalyn took a deep breath, and then lifted his satchel off his shoulder and snatched Lorgrim’s. At almost the same time, Lorgrim took Eskalyn’s satchel. From the way the satchels swung from their straps, Adramal judged what had been Eskalyn’s to be much heavier than what had been Lorgrim’s.

“That wasn’t so hard, was it?” said Lorgrim, treating the First of the Council to an insipid smile. He opened the satchel and peered inside.

Eskalyn recovered a little composure. “Good day.” He backed away from Lorgrim, towards where Adramal and Perinar were hiding. When he reached the nearer end of the flower bed, he turned, and his gaze swept past the potted shrubs. Adramal held her breath. He didn’t see them — or gave no sign that he’d seen them. He tugged the door open and went through.

Lorgrim leaned back in his chair, giving the sky a much broader smile than he’d given Eskalyn. He looked inside the satchel again and chuckled. He reached for the edge of the flower bed and used it to pull himself to his feet. As he left the garden, the tapping of his cane seemed somehow jaunty. Adramal thought the old fellow would have danced if he could.

She turned to Perinar, who seemed as baffled as she was. Why was Lorgrim — who wasn’t even a member of Kyturil’s Council — ordering about the school’s most senior wizard? And what was in those satchels?

She waited until she could no longer hear Lorgrim’s cane before standing up and stretching. Perinar stood as well. Only now did she notice how scared he looked.

“I think my sketch is complete enough to identify the plant,” he whispered. “We should go to the library.”

Adramal had almost forgotten their original reason for coming here. She brushed the worst of the detritus from her clothing. The seat of her dress was damp.

Adramal peered around the door frame, looking both ways along the corridor. “He’s gone,” she said, ducking back into the garden.

“Did you see which way he went?” said Perinar.

“No.”

“It was probably right,” he said, pointing towards the stables, the direction from which they had entered the garden. “We’d better go left.”

They crept along the corridor. Adramal was torn between the need to move slowly, for silence, and the need to move quickly, to get away from where they were likely to meet Lorgrim. The floor here was littered with grit, and she cringed at the sound of it crunching under their feet.

At the end of the corridor was a large, high room, bare except for an unidentifiable tapestry on the far wall. Two doors, both closed, led in opposite directions. A thin layer of dust covered the floor. Sunlight slanted through narrow, high-up windows.

Perinar went to the door in the left-hand wall and squinted through the keyhole. Adramal held her breath as he turned the handle. The hinges squealed as he pulled the door open.

She half-expected to see Lorgrim standing there. Instead there was only a narrow gravel path, winding its way among unkempt grass. Here and there were aggregations of stone that she guessed had been smashed from the outer wall during the siege.

They stepped into the open. Perinar closed the door, and they leaned against it, panting.

“Now,” he said after a few moments, “if anyone sees us, we can pretend we’ve been somewhere else.”

Their eyes met, and he gazed at her so intently that it seemed it would hurt to look away.

“Thank you,” she croaked.

“For what?”

“For... for keeping your head back there.”

He pushed his fringe back. As she’d thought, he was much more handsome like that. “It was nothing, really,” he said, as if he spied on his teachers every day.

He dropped his hand to his side, and the back of it brushed against hers. On an impulse, she gripped it. His eyes widened, and she let go, as if she’d been burned. She folded her arms.

“Sorry,” she mumbled, turning her face away. Stupid, stupid girl. You’re not supposed to do it like that. What makes you think he’s interested in you anyway?

He touched her elbow. She looked at him. His fringe had flopped forward again, but he still gazed at her as if he could think of nothing he’d rather be doing. He held out his hand.

Slowly, Adramal reached out to clasp Perinar’s hand — more gently this time. It was damp with sweat — or was that hers? His smooth, soft fingers folded around hers, warm and reassuring. She looked into his eyes as if nothing else existed.

After an eternity, she became aware of something rubbing the side of her index finger. It had taken her a while to work out where she was being touched, as it made her tingle all over. She tore her gaze away from Perinar’s beautiful eyes — one of the hardest things she’d ever done — and looked down. He stopped stroking her with his thumb even as she did so.

When she looked up at him, his face was a lot nearer to hers than it had been a few moments ago. His lips were moist, slightly parted. Their breathing quickened. Her knees felt as though they would give way at any moment. But it would be all right. He would catch her if she fell.

A bell rang, loud and insistent. Adramal slipped and lost her balance, landing heavily on her back. Perinar winced, as if he felt the impact more than her. She scrambled to her feet and brushed the dirt off.

“Are you hurt?” he asked.

“No. That was third watch — I mean eighth hour, wasn’t it?”

He nodded glumly, evidently thinking the same as her.

“We’d better go to the library before it closes, then, and see if we can find a herbal with that plant in.”

He led her over the grass, past the walled garden and the stables. Periodically, his hand brushed hers, and he smiled hopefully. She smiled back, but didn’t take his hand. She knew if she did, she’d want to take him to a secluded corner and kiss him until dawn.

When she’d rebuffed him for the fourth or fifth time, his smile faded, and he moved a short distance away.

Lelsarin elbowed her way into Adramal’s thoughts. Hold his damned hand, then, but keep walking. Ask him about what happened in the garden. That ought to take your mind off how pretty he is.

Adramal took a deep breath and smiled. “I’m sorry,” she said. “I... I don’t... someone might be watching.”

“Oh!” His smile returned. “I see. Apprentices hardly ever come here.”

“What about servants?”

He gawked, as if she’d said, “What about trees?” He stood up straighter and replied, “Maybe things are different in Thuren, but here, a servant can be dismissed for gossiping about his masters, and it’s very hard for him to find another tenure after that.” He spoke as if making someone unable to earn a living was something to be proud of.

“Yes,” she said, “things are different. We don’t have servants.”

“Oh!” He looked around, and she wondered if he thought she was playing a joke on him. “Who does the work, then?”

She shrugged. “Everybody.”

“Including you?”

“Including me.” She held up her hands, palms outwards. “You must have noticed my hands are rougher than yours.” He nodded. “You don’t mind, do you?” Everyone was conscious of their place in the world, but people around here seemed to be more aware of it than most. She dropped her arms to her sides and looked down. Then she extended her hand a few inches towards him.

“Mind?” he said as he slid his hand into hers. “Why would I mind?”

She smiled and resumed walking. “No idea,” she said. Their arms swung back and forth in time with their footsteps.

Oh, very nicely done, said Lelsarin. Her usual sarcasm when she said something like that was tinged with admiration. Now ask him about what happened in the damned garden. I want to know, even if you don’t.

It was rare for Lelsarin to admit to wanting anything, except perhaps to be left alone. “I was thinking...” Adramal said.

“Yes?” said Perinar, turning his head towards her.

How lovely your eyes are, she very nearly said. She glanced around, seeing no one. “What do you think Eskalyn and Lorgrim were doing?”

“I don’t know,” he said.

The curtness of his answer made her wonder if he was lying. He couldn’t know anything about the murders, could he? “Any idea what was in the satchels?”

“No.”

They passed the stables. A two-wheeled carriage was parked at one side of the building. They rounded a corner of the middle ward, and came to the gatehouse. A servant came out of the gatehouse and bowed his head to them as he walked past. “Look, it’s none of our business. We shouldn’t have been there. I suggest you forget about it.”

Her mouth hung open, poised for some clever retort. But no. He had no clue why she was really here. And she mustn’t give him any reason to suspect. “To the library, then,” she said demurely.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

316 127 101
🏆 ❝𝘛𝘙𝘈𝘝𝘌𝘓𝘌𝘙❞ - AIM TO ENGAGE 2023 WINNER 🏆 ❝𝘔𝘈𝘙𝘒𝘚 𝘖𝘍 𝘋𝘌𝘚𝘛𝘐𝘕𝘠, 𝘔𝘈𝘛𝘊𝘏𝘌𝘚 𝘖𝘍 𝘍𝘈𝘛𝘌❞ - AIM TO ENGAGE 2023 FAVORITE PI...
1.9K 356 13
Fitness-trainer Winston settled in Corbeau Woods for a quiet life with his husband, free of the superstition and madness of his childhood. When a mys...
18.9K 1.2K 14
The only solution to save humanity is to leave plague-ridden Earth for good. But can a plan born out of desperation bring back the lost innocence of...
175K 8.7K 50
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...